Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast

Thread: Beijing 2008

Quote Originally Posted by nishantrathi82 View Post
    Hey there are fair chance that he will win 9 gold this year and create a record.
    Since he is participating in 8, even a superhuman effort will not be enough to get him 9 golds....

Quote Originally Posted by sumitsehrawat View Post
    9????
    bhai ..
    Sorry it was 8 by mistake i typed it as 9
    Plant one tree atleast
    and pls save water and electricity

Quote Originally Posted by sandeepkadian05 View Post
    Since he is participating in 8, even a superhuman effort will not be enough to get him 9 golds....
    Sorry dear i want to type 8 but by mistake it has happened as 9.
    Plant one tree atleast

hey thats ok mate..human error!

easy...:p
    Sorry it was 8 by mistake i typed it as 9
    Sorry dear i want to type 8 but by mistake it has happened as 9.
    -There are no bad people in this world..they are either good or amusing.

...La Vida es Bella....

Men's 4 x 100m Freestyle Relay: USA obliterates world record

Men's 4 x 100m Freestyle Relay: USA obliterates world record

Source: http://en.beijing2008.cn/news/sports...14528366.shtml

(BEIJING, August 11)-- In one of the all-time great relay swims, the United States overhauled the French team in the shadows of the finish line to complete a stunning Men's 4 x 100m Freestyle Relay win on Monday, smashing the world record by nearly four seconds in the process.

The US team of Michael Phelps, Garret Weber-Gale, Cullen Jones and Jason Lezak proved unstoppable, with Lezak producing a superb anchor leg to reel in Alain Bernard of France and give the US a victory by 0.08 seconds in 3min 08.24sec. Australia took Bronze in 3:09.91.

The world record set by the US on Saturday was smashed by the Americans again - by a stunning 3.99 seconds - and the first five finishers in the final (United States, France, Australia, Italy and Sweden) all went under the old world record.

The US and Australia went head-to-head for the first 200m, with France further back. France's Frederick Bousquet slipped past the Australians in the third leg to challenge for the lead. Lezak went into the final leg well behind Bernard, with the Frenchman holding a comfortable lead, but then Lezak began to haul in a fading Bernard over the final 30m. With both men lunging for the line, Lezak just touched out Bernard to give the US gold.
    "It was unbelievable! Jason (Lezak) finished the race better than we could have asked for. In the last 50 (meters), I was like, this is going to be a really close race. At the end, as you could see I was pretty excited, I was very emotional," Phelps said after the race.

Australia's Eamon Sullivan set a world record for the Men's 100m with a stunning lead-off leg of 47.24 to shave more than two-tenths of a second off Bernard's old mark. Sullivan's superb swim means the 22-year-old will start as favorite in front of Bernard for the Men's 100m Freestyle. Heats start on Tuesday, 12 August

Quote Originally Posted by deepshi View Post
    hey thats ok mate..human error!

easy...:p
    Thanks dear
    Plant one tree atleast

Quote Originally Posted by rajpaldular View Post
    बीजिंग ओलम्पिक में भारत के निशानेबाज अभिनव बिंद्रा की ऎतिहासिक जीत के बाद उनके लिए पुरस्कारों की झड़ी लग गई है। पंजाब के मुख्यमंत्री प्रकाश सिंह बादल ने उन्हें एक करोड़ रूपए का इनाम देने की घोषणा की है। साथ ही हरियाणा सरकार ने उन्हें 25 लाख रूपए और महाराष्ट्र सरकार ने 10 लाख रूपए का पुरस्कार देने का ऎलान किया है।

अभिनव की जीत से पूरे देश में जश्a का माहौल है। उत्तर प्रदेश की मुख्यमंत्री मायावती ने भी अभिनव को बधाई देते हुए 2.5 लाख रूपए का इनाम देने की घोषणा की है। वहीं, रेल मंत्री लालू प्रसाद यादव ने घोषणा की है कि अभिनव को आजीवन "गोल्डन पास" दिया जाएगा।

दूसरी ओर, बिहार सरकार ने बिंद्रा को 11 लाख रूपए और मघ्य प्रदेश सरकार ने पांच लाख रूपए इनाम के रूप में देने की घोष्ाणा की है। बीसीसीआई और चंडीगढ़ प्रशासन भी इनामों की इस दौड़ में पीछे नहीं है। बीसीसीआईने बिंद्रा को 25 लाख रूपए और चंडीगढ़ प्रशासन ने पांच लाख रूपए देने का ऎलान किया है।

Great news even Abhinav deserve that although money stands no where for the Glory he produce for India but still good steps by the government.
    Plant one tree atleast

Thumbs up

Abhinav Bindra made us all proud of being INDIAN.
    & this time someone made it with a
    GOLD MEDAL
    We all are so excited to know what govt goin to do for Sport Persons.
    Cheering news..!!!!!!!

FIGHT FOR A BRIGHTER INDIA

Raj Bhavsar

Who said Indians don't have sports genes.
    Raj Bhavsar is a member of the US Men's gymnastic team. 100% desi stock. He is in the toughest sport imaginable.
    Check out his bio.....

http://results.beijing2008.cn/WRM/EN...8/220208.shtml

Quote Originally Posted by sidchhikara View Post
    Who said Indians don't have sports genes.
    Raj Bhavsar is a member of the US Men's gymnastic team. 100% desi stock. He is in the toughest sport imaginable.
    Check out his bio.....

http://results.beijing2008.cn/WRM/EN...8/220208.shtml
    Well Sid, if you talk about the genes, then almost half of the Canadian men's Hockey team is of Indian origin.

Thumbs up

Maar maar ghoose dushman ki chaadar si bicha di ring me ... hehehe!

Jitender Kumar enters pre-quarterfinals

Source:
    http://olympics.timesofindia.indiati...ow/3355559.cms

BEIJING: Jitender Kumar pummelled his Turkish opponent Ulas Furkan Memis in less than three rounds to storm into the fly weight pre-quarterfinals of the boxing competition at the Beijing Olympics on Tuesday.

Jitender, who was making his Olympic debut, led 12-3 before Memis threw in the towel just a few seconds into the third round of the lopsided bout.

Jitender, an Asian Championship bronze medallist, was aggressive from the word go and launched a flurry of straight punches on Memis, who was left scurrying for cover.

The Indian led 5-0 in the first round before stretching the lead to 9-2 by the end of the second round.

The Haryana-lad rarely had his guard up but with lightening fast reflexes, he easily managed to evade whatever little challenge Memis threw at him.

Jitender's persistently aggressive assault left Memis with no choice but to surrender.

Middle weight pugilist Vijender is the other Indian boxer to have advanced to the pre-quarters.

Men 200m Freestyle...another WORLD RECORD broken...

Phelps' domination knows no equal in Beijing

Source: http://www.iht.com/articles/ap/2008/...Domination.php

Phelps joins the Olympic greats

Source: http://africa.reuters.com/sport/news/usnBAN225807.html

Phelps poised to become winningest Olympian ever

Source: http://ap.google.com/article/ALeqM5j...3iXHAD92GGDD01

Olympics: Phelps joins exclusive club of Games greats

Source: http://afp.google.com/article/ALeqM5...T7DRUIRabbIZnQ

Commentary on India's opening ceremony shoddy dress.

Here is a commentary from the New York Times....

August 10, 2008, 3:10 pm
    What the World Is Saying Today: Neatness Counts

By Jeff Z. Klein
    What a large logo you have: Kobe Bryant representing Ralph Lauren and also the U.S. Olympic team at the Bird’s Nest on Friday. (AP/David Phillip)
    PARADE OF SLOVENLINESS If you thought Americans were talking a lot about the size of the Ralph Lauren logo on the U.S. Olympians’ outfits as they entered the Bird’s Nest during the opening ceremony in Beijing on Friday, it’s nothing compared with what people in other countries are saying about their respective teams’ clothes, demeanor and general appearance.
    “Shoddily dressed”?: India marching in, sort of. (Cameron Spencer/Getty Images)
    Take the Khaleej Times, which pilloried India’s “shoddily dressed contingent” for walking in “unceremoniously not only making ‘mockery’ of the spirit of Olympics, but also put in the picture the infamous slapdash (chalta-hai) attitude in an international gathering.” Millions of Indians, Ravi S. Jha wrote, “glued on TV sets watched the home contingent walking uncaringly with the Tricolour.”
    It wasn’t just the Khaleej Times that was upset about the team’s dress. The national paper The Hindu reports that the Indian media on hand in Beijing “cornered the president of the Indian Olympic Association, Suresh Kalmadi” to ask why the tennis players were wearing track suits rather than saris. “The two had returned from their practice and there was no time,” Kalmadi said.

Enlivening the gravitas: Gusti Made Oka Sulaksana of Indonesia. (Olivier Morin/AFP/Getty Images)
    The style section in Canada’s National Post, in its helpful “Olympics of Fashion” rundown of notable outfits, praised India’s togs for their “regal gold and red scarves,” (though the accompanying photo shows a little of the chalta-hai attitude the Indians were complaining about). Also in for praise: “Uzbekistan’s Lurex-flecked ties and metallic fabric panels folded into the female athletes’ skirts,” “Indonesia’s silk jacquard trim and overskirts enlivening the gravitas of their black-on-black ensembles” and “the Guatemalan ladies who flashed tanned, toned flesh in embroidered peasant blouses worn off the shoulder,” not to mention many other

A sad end of the journey to Beijing for the brave Rajayvardhan Singh Rathore!
    My heart goes for this brave man!

http://in.news.yahoo.com/32/20080813...rathore_1.html

cheers!

yeah this one is indeed a sad end.

Quote Originally Posted by spdeshwal View Post
    A sad end of the journey to Beijing for the brave Rajayvardhan Singh Rathore!
    My heart goes for this brave man!

http://in.news.yahoo.com/32/20080813...rathore_1.html

cheers!
    दीपक धनखड़
    Journey (Long or short) starts with a single step.

Saina & Champia out of race for medal

Hi all
    very sad news on front of a medal hope in olympic.

After Sania Mirza and Rathore lost its again sad news for Indians.
    Saina nehwal lost to indonesian opponent in Quarterfinal.
    I was watching her match in the morning before office and got late to office.
    She looked little nervous and thats where she lost.
    She needs to learn have better control on nerves.
    Anyway well doen on her part, she is young and can do better next time.

Mangal Singh Champia who stood 2nd in first round won the second round as well but after few minutes lost in 3rd round.

Lets hope others do good in upcoming events.

Akhil Kumar / Jitender have raised expectations.
    Last edited by anil_rathee; August 13th, 2008 at 10:40 AM.
    क्रांति तभी सफल होती है जब बहुमत को उसकी आवश्यकता हो - आचार्य चाणक्य

Phelps becomes greatest all-time Olympian with 11 golds

Source: http://en.beijing2008.cn/news/sports...14536712.shtml

Michael Phelps became the all-time greatest athlete at the Olympics when he won his 10th career Olympic gold medal at the Men's 200m Butterfly, before adding another gold when the US clinched the 4 x 200m Freestyle, giving him an unprecedented 11 career Olympic gold medals.

Phelps has now won five gold medals at the Beijing 2008 Olympic Games, only two behind Mark Spitz (USA) who set the record of most gold medals at a single Olympics with seven in Munich 1972.

Phelps has gathered seven career Olympic Gold medals in Individual events, only one short of the record by Ray Ewry (USA) who won eight Olympic Gold medals in Athletics Individual events between 1900 and 1908.

Pannu mate
    Oz on 12..
    this Stephanie Rice is rocking---her second gold!
    Quote Originally Posted by vivekpannu View Post
    Well Sid, if you talk about the genes, then almost half of the Canadian men's Hockey team is of Indian origin.
    -There are no bad people in this world..they are either good or amusing.

...La Vida es Bella....

Exclamation Phelps is inhuman...

...He is a martian, or like some are now saying back here in a time machine (back from an era much ahead and advanced of us)... there is simply no other explaination tothis madness...

If you have done even a bit of competitive swimming like yours truly (Rajasthan state: Fav event-100 mt freestyle; best time: 1minute 5 seconds! ) you would know that going from one final to another (or even a heat) to perform at peak level in less than an hour itself is impossible for most athletes (you can, but you would be no where near your best times) and to not only do that but smash records in the process too, and end the race at the blocks and standing up with the chest hardly heaving, or an iota of stress on the face ..... is just NUTs!!! :eek:
    He is superman! (sorry folks, didn't wnna break it to you like this! :rolleyes

Yeah Deeps, Rice is something (and what a stunner too! She looks amazing!).. speaking of Aussies; glad that the other Aussie dude Ian thorpe is not around this time around; Phleps looks like he would have mincemeat out of him!
    Reminds me to add that if you are watching his races live, can you believe the difference by which he is leading the rest of the field in the pool??? I mean.... more than 3-4 seconds or a full body lengths!!!... It's like he is the only swimmer in the pool who seems like he has trained, and the rest are simply some of weekend warriors swimmers who have wandered into the pool next to him! When the truth of the matter is all the rest are record holders and champs in their own might; and this superman is making them look literally pedestrean!... I can only imagine what the silver medallists in all these events can be thinking ("Dude! What a downright super rotten time to be competeing in this event! Wish I was born ten years earlier, when this robot was not around...!" or something like that!)
    The best part is that even his rivals can only shake their heads in disbelief and talk in awe about what is happening in the pool next to them!
    You then see Mike Phelps being interviwed by the American media as soon as he gets out of the pool.... and the dude is downright modest about what is happening! All he says is I still have a lot of swimming to do and trying to focus on my next event! Stuff of legends, mate... simply stuff of legends!

Then the fact that all this is so historical even for us folks; stuff of legends for time to come..... just try and imagine this- you shall be able to tell your grandkids how you were there watching this greatest Olympian of all times do it, right there ...live infront of your TV glazed eyes!.... I doubt (and all the experts agree with me ) that anyone would be able to catch up on this feat in the centuries to come! (I am shaking my heads while I write this!)

Coming to India!
    Oh man!!!........ I had so much hopes on this girl Saina. Watched her match's and really thought she had more than just a bronze medal chance... she was good!
    But the same story repeats itself; Indians are chokers.... we choke at the home turn. When will we learn that sports is one thing, but mental preparation and conditioning is equally important.... One needs the (Chakde India SRK sorta talk) by the coaches to these sportspersons!

Ah well, the first individual Olympic gold sure took it's time comin' and at least it is here! You go Bindra!!!... attaboy!
    ...Wouldn't follow the trodden path, but shall leave a blazing trail!!!...