Thread: A lab to help shed fear of numbers

Arrow A lab to help shed fear of numbers

Schools are setting up a mathematics laboratory to help students overcome their phobia of the subject and make it more interesting.

The laboratory is a novel concept which enables students to learn and explore mathematical concepts and verify facts and theorems using tools such as the Geometers sketchpad.

The CBSE has directed that 20 per cent of the marks will be allocated to each student from lab assessments to be added to final marks, L Balasubramanian, president of School Learning Solutions at NIIT, said. “The demand for the math lab is such that many non-CBSE board schools like Ballygunge Shiksha Sadan in Kolkata, affiliated to West Bengal Board of Secondary Education, have set up math labs in their schools,” Balasubramanian said.

The maths lab helps students to understand, internalise, discover and verify basic mathematical and geometrical concepts through concrete objects and situations, thus building interest and confidence in students learning the subject, NK Sinha, a retired professor of Bose Institute said.

The laboratory also encourages students to think and discuss among themselves as well as with the teacher thus helping assimilate concepts. It also enables teachers to demonstrate, explain and reinforce abstract mathematical ideas by using concrete objects, models, charts, graphs, pictures and posters.

It costs Rs 8 lakh to set up a 32-seater maths lab and Rs 12 lakh to set up a 60-seater lab. The CBSE asked its affiliated schools to set up the maths laboratory after the National Council of Education Research and Training (NCERT) through the National Curriculum Framework directed that maths be treated as a prime focus area in schools till 2010. Several schools in the country have opened the NIIT eGuru Maths Lab in their schools after it was introduced in March this year.
    India and Israel (Hindus & Jews) are true friends in this World. Both are Long Live and yes also both have survived and surviving under adverse conditions.

Thumbs up Good Approach!!

i also noticed the same developments in my own school (from where i passed out) and its working quite effectively.....students in our locality also showed me their file work which they are enjoying these days (with a motivation of 10-15 marks for the file work).....every child is curious n find it very interesting to learn the things in a play-way/creative method

this way they will learn not only the basic concepts with ease and simplicity but will also be able to bring out and expose their creativeness

exploring things for knowledge will be their other developed interest area

practicality is now getting linked with bookish knowledge through such lab works

m happy to see the change which i use to mention in my own constructed time-table (i wasn't aware that such novel thought is on the process of implementation)