Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: How to crack interviews/written ?

Exclamation Common mistakes in interviews - Part I

Quote Originally Posted by mansi289 View Post
    ok... 1st ques>> how wud we knw wat mistakes we made in d last interview?
    "wise men learn frm others mistakes, while the less fortunate, frm their own". a vry simple assessment of yr. credentials nd bloopers during the course of an interview can answer yr. question... remember a man himself is the best judge of his abilities nd disabilities.

yr. Q is vry much specific to an individual, i wud like to generalize sum points here, wch shud b avoided in an interview... u might find them to be a bit stereotyped, however at the same time you shud b aware of them... these r not my viewpoints, but i found them to b interesting to share with all.

Poor handshake: The three-second handshake that starts the interview is your first opportunity to create a great impression. But all too often an interview is blown right from the start by an ineffective handshake. Once you've delivered a poor handshake, it's nearly impossible to recover your efforts to build rapport. Here are some examples:

• The Limp Hand (or "dead fish"): Gives the impression of disinterest or weakness
    • The Tips of the Fingers: Shows lack of ability to engage.
    • The Arm Pump: Sincerity is questionable, much like an overly aggressive salesman.

Even if you're a seasoned professional, don't assume you have avoided these pitfalls. Your handshake may be telling more about you than you know. Ask for honest critiques from several friends who aren't afraid to tell you the truth.

Talking too much:
    Many interviewers dont like over-talkative candidates. Over-talking takes a couple of forms:

• Taking too long to answer direct questions. The impression: This candidate just can't get to the point.
    • Nervous talkers. The impression: This candidate is covering up something or is outright lying.

To avoid either of these forms of over-talking, practice answering questions in a direct manner. Avoid nervous talking by preparing for your interview with role-play
    Failure to match communication styles: It's almost impossible to make a good first impression if you can't communicate effectively with an interviewer. But you can easily change that situation by mirroring the way the interviewer treats you. For instance:

• If the interviewer seems all business, don't attempt to loosen him/her up with a joke or story. Be succinct and businesslike
    • If the interviewer is personable, try discussing his/her interests. Often the items on display in the office can offer a clue.
    • If asked a direct question, answer directly. Then follow up by asking if more information is needed.

Allowing the interviewer to set the tone of conversation can vastly improve your chances of making a favorable impression. You can put the interviewer at ease -- and make yourself seem more like him or her -- by mirroring his or her communication style.

Talking negatively about current or past employers/managers:
    The fastest way to talk yourself out of a new job
    is to say negative things. Even if your last boss was Attila the Hun, never, never state your ill feelings about him/her. No matter how reasonable your complaints, you will come out the loser if you show that you disrespect your boss because the interviewer will assume that you would similarly trash him or her. When faced with the challenge of talking about former employers, make sure you are prepared with a positive spin on your experiences.

Showing up late or too early:
    One of the first lessons in job-search etiquette is to show up on time for interviews. Many job-seekers don't realize, however, that showing up too early often creates a poor first impression as well. Arriving more than 10 minutes early for an interview is a dead giveaway that the job seeker
    has too much time on his or her hands, much like the last one picked for the softball team. Don't diminish your candidate desirability by appearing desperate. Act as if your time were as valuable as the interviewer's. Always arrive on time, but never more than 10 minutes early.

Treating the receptionist rudely:
    Since the first person you meet on an interview is usually a receptionist, this encounter represents the first impression you'll make. Don't mistake low rank for low input. Often that receptionist's job is to usher you into your interview. The receptionist has the power to pave your way positively or negatively before you even set eyes on the interviewer. The interviewer may also solicit the receptionist's opinion of you after you leave.

Asking about benefits, vacation time or salary:
    What if a car salesman asked to see your credit report before allowing you to test drive the cars? That would be ridiculous, and you'd walk away in disgust. The effect is about the same when a job-seeker asks about benefits or other employee perks during the first interview. Wait until you've won the employer over before beginning that discussion.

Not preparing for the interview
    : Nothing communicates disinterest like a candidate who hasn't bothered to do pre-interview research. On the flip side, the quickest way to a good impression is to demonstrate your interest with a few well thought out questions that reflect your knowledge of their organization.

Verbal ticks: An ill-at-ease candidate seldom makes a good impression. The first signs of nervousness are verbal ticks. We all have them from time to time -- "umm," "like," "you know." Ignore the butterflies in your stomach and put up a front of calm confidence by avoiding verbal ticks. You can also sometimes avoid verbal ticks by pausing for a few seconds to gather your thoughts before each response. One of the best ways to reduce or eliminate them is through role-play. Practice sharing your best success stories ahead of time, and you'll feel more relaxed during the real interview.

Not enough/too much eye contact:
    Either situation can create a negative effect. Avoid eye contact and you'll seem shifty, untruthful, or disinterested; offer too much eye contact, and you'll wear the interviewer out. If you sometimes have trouble with eye-contact balance, work this issue out ahead of time in an interview practice session with a friend.

! ... be BOLD in what you stand for !
    !! ... i've the simplest tastes, i'm always satisfied with the best !!
    !!! ... be yourself, everyone else is already taken !!!

Exclamation Common mistakes in interviews (Group Discussion) - Part II

Here's a list of the most common mistakes made at group discussions... very specific in Indian context:

Emotional outburst: Rashmi was offended when one of the male participants in a group discussion made a statement on women generally being submissive while explaining his point of view. When Rashmi finally got an opportunity to speak, instead of focussing on the topic, she vented her anger by accusing the other candidate for being a male chauvinist and went on to defend women in general. What Rashmi essentially did was to

* Deviate from the subject
    * Treat the discussion as a forum to air her own views.
    * Lose objectivity and make personal attacks.

Her behaviour would have been perceived as immature and demotivating to the rest of the team.

Quality Vs Quantity:
    Gautam believed that the more he talked, the more likely he was to get through the GD. So, he interrupted other people at every opportunity. He did this so often that the other candidates got together to prevent him from participating in the rest of the discussion.

* Assessment is not only on your communication skills but also on your ability to be a team player.
    * Evaluation is based on quality, and not on quantity. Your contribution must be relevant.
    * The mantra is "Contributing meaningfully to the team's success." Domination is frowned upon.

Egoism Showing off:
    Krishna was happy to have got a group discussion topic he had prepared for. So, he took pains to project his vast knowledge of the topic. Every other sentence of his contained statistical data - "20% of companies; 24.27% of parliamentarians felt that; I recently read in a Jupiter Report that..." and so on so forth. Soon, the rest of the team either laughed at him or ignored his attempts to enlighten them as they perceived that he was cooking up the data.

* Exercise restraint in anything. You will end up being frowned upon if you attempt showing-off your knowledge.
    * Facts and figures need not validate all your statements.
    * Its your analysis and interpretation that are equally important - not just facts and figures.
    * You might be appreciated for your in-depth knowledge. But you will fail miserably in your people skills.

Such a behavior indicates how self-centered you are and highlights your inability to work in an atmosphere where different opinions are expressed.

Get noticed - But for the right reasons: Srikumar knew that everyone would compete to initiate the discussion. So as soon as the topic - "Discuss the negative effects of India joining the WTO" - was read out, he began talking. In his anxiety to be the first to start speaking, he did not hear the word "negative" in the topic. He began discussing the ways in which the country had benefited by joining WTO, only to be stopped by the evaluator, who then corrected his mistake.

* False starts are extremely expensive. They cost you your admission. It is very important to listen and understand the topic before you air your opinions.
    * Spending a little time analyzing the topic may provide you with insights which others may not have thought about. Use a pen and paper to jot down your ideas.
    * Listen! It gives you the time to conceptualize and present the information in a better manner. Some mistakes are irreparable. Starting off the group discussion with a mistake is one such mistake, unless you have a great sense of humor.

Managing one's insecurities: Sumati was very nervous. She thought that some of the other candidates were exceptionally good. Thanks to her insecurity, she contributed little to the discussion. Even when she was asked to comment on a particular point, she preferred to remain silent.

* Your personality is also being evaluated. Your verbal and non verbal cues are being read.
    * Remember, you are the participant in the GD; not the evaluator. So, rather than evaluating others and your performance, participate in the discussion.
    * Your confidence level is being evaluated. Decent communication skills with good confidence is a must to crack the GDs.

Focus on your strengths and do not spend too much time thinking about how others are superior or inferior to you. It is easy to pick up these cues from your body language.

Quote Originally Posted by mkm_jat View Post
    Good Question Mansi....
    Thanks all for such a information, which is not available anywhere in such simple words and live examples.

I have one more question, can somebody tell me when HR asks about weaknesses/strengths, what does he look in answers? What do HR guys expect in these answers?
    Should we tell frankly or just prepare something which HR people like to hear? If we should say what they like to hear, then what is that, which they want us to speak out?
    I never understood this question and I never replied in same manner in my short experience of 2-3 interviews till now.

Regards,
    Manoj

Hi Manoj what is think for this question don't give any negative answer in your weakness like in IT sector or Marketing sector u can say that ur biggest weakness is that you love travelling which will be proven positive for your jobs or on a lighter side u can say u love eating which is not going to make any harm for ur job or u can say u love to talk lot which is also a positive sighn for ur job. And in Strength u knows very well about u present those in effective manner. That's what i think.
    Plant one tree atleast
    and pls save water and electricity

Some Tips For Interview

Why Do Candidates Fail In An Interview

* Poor grooming
    * Discourteous and ungraceful body language
    * Poor manners
    * Poor diction
    * Vague responses
    * Unappealing resume
    * Monetary benefits-centric approach
    * Lack of punctuality
    * Poor waiting hall behaviour

Some Behavioural "Unfavourable" Aspects

* Lack of personal or career goals
    * Lack of enthusiasm and confidence
    * Not owning up responsibility for mistakes
    * Self-justification, aggressiveness
    * Lack ofemotional maturity
    * Negative and cynical attitude
    * Over-reacting to questions
    * Lacking sense of humour
    * Complaining about various things and previous employers

Preparing for an interview - Look for

* Company's main products and services and likely new products and services
    * Its key markets, its position in market and between major competitors
    * Its financial position / profit / turnover
    * Its history, reputation and achievements
    * Arrange all the papers required in a folder : Resume / CV, call letters, degree certificates, mark lists, NSS, NCC, sports / games certificates, experience certificates, references.

Lastly, I would like to add that if you are good in technical then no one will stop you even if you are not very good in English (For engineers).

Following URLs will hel you...

http://www.freshershome.com/hr-inter...s-and-tips.php
    http://www.freshersworld.com/interview/interview.htm
    http://www.thesciencejobs.com/resume_interview_tips/
    http://www.gjepc.org/careers/Intervi...s&section_id=3
    http://www.techinterviews.com/?page_id=290
    ~~ u never know where ur destiny takes u ~~

Good Question Mansi....
    Thanks all for such a information, which is not available anywhere in such simple words and live examples.

I have one more question, can somebody tell me when HR asks about weaknesses/strengths, what does he look in answers? What do HR guys expect in these answers?
    Should we tell frankly or just prepare something which HR people like to hear? If we should say what they like to hear, then what is that, which they want us to speak out?
    I never understood this question and I never replied in same manner in my short experience of 2-3 interviews till now.

Regards,
    Manoj
    Quote Originally Posted by choudharyneelam View Post
    same is the ques. arousing in my mind....i always remain trustworthy and frank while giving any reply to the interviewer

though i was asked to step ahead(with confirmation of last success) for the next round of the interview, but i also wanna know the purpose behind such ques.

Hi All,

Good question indeed. Here is my explanation may be matter with others a lil bit.

Mostly whenever we say anything we know that either it is going correct or not. So, u r the best judge on that if u r commting any mistake.

1. After finishing the interview just sit for an hour or more and recollect the whole interview process. Find out what they asked and what u replied. Now, put urself in interviewr's shoes and think whethr that answer impress u if not thn what can be a better ans for that question.

2. If u cudnt ans a question then prepare a best ans for this and promise urself that u shud be anwerable for this in future and prepare best anwer possible for that.

3. My personal experience, i always found it out that so and so was my mistake in the interview and try not to repeat in next one. Again i say sit calmly and assess ur answers. U r the best judge.

4. Organize a few mock interviews among friends and get their feedback on ur answers. This is the best way to find out abt ur mistakes before actual interview and ponder over it seriously. It may be lack of confidence, ur gesture, posture, eye contact, lack of fluency etc etc.

Now, on strenght and weakness
    Although i m not working as HR but still know a lil bit. Such type of questions are not to really find out what r ur weaknesses. These are the questions just to test ur ability to present urself. To find out How u ans for that is the motto of such questions. HR rounds are generally to test the personality and communication.

Here, everyone says their strenghts honestly coz they are positives and help thm gt selected but weakness is something which may lead u to rejection. So, be lil careful here. As Neelam asked being honest is gud but not 100% and always, if u wanna grab that job. Suppose, u r not punctual or lazy or not hard working or rude or haughty. In such cases if u be honest then god knows what gonna happen. So, u can amend that ans with lil bit of masala.

In weaknesses ppl gnerally say communication is not gud but i have started working on that and have seen a gud improvement on that, passionate that dont take rest untill job is finished which sometimes effect my health and other tasks, emotinal and lot more but these are the weaknessess which are strenght in disguise. So, ur weakness shud not be something which will affect ur productivity and output. It shud either be something which is a strength but sometimes u feel u suffered coz of that but still no compromize with ur productivity or something which u have started working on and seen gud improvement.

This is purely to find out how u answer juss to test ur personality and they expect some smart answers.

When we go as an interviewer we are given a chart sheet where we have several columns like tehnical knowledge, communiction, confidence level, behaviour, extra
    and they are in a scale of 1,3,5 ,6 ,9.
    So, a balanced guy is generally selected.

Hope it cleared a lil bit. Other senior members plz reply for such questions if u have a better answer.

All the best

Dev
    Last edited by dkumars; September 3rd, 2008 at 04:39 PM.

Email Verification Pending
    Login to view details.
    Thanks Nishant for your reply to my queries.

I would like to share one of the my recent experience...

Yesterday, I appeared for GE in on-campus placement.
    I feel I was not selected because I was too sticky for area which I wanted to after joining there i.e. Vehicle safety/Occupant safety .
    Then HR told me that GE has rotational policy of work, you can work for in some other and then you can join in Vehicle Safety.
    She told if get a chance to work in Aviation then?
    I replied sth like this:
    I would like to work on Vehicle Safety, otherwise Imapct related work in other area.
    She asked other options like Oil & Gas, I said, "Strickly no."
    I feel this was the negative part of interview.

Any comments on this assessment?
    Regards,
    Manoj

My personal exprienced and guidelines i follow.

1. I shud be clear abt what is there in my resume. I become nervous initially but those ppl are very framk and i feel better and confident so u guys may face same thing but dont lose confidene.

2. I always prepare a different answer for very common questions something which is not obvious and boring. I generally try to attract the interviewer and force him to take more interest in my answers through my replies....
    An example... tell me abt urslf .... ans is .... my name is devender kumar, my father's name is this and he is so professin wise...i did my graduation with these subjcts and got this % ... yukkkk ... its quite ordinary and boring...
    Better ans as per me .... My parents named me Devender Kumar and i am proud to be son of Mr XYZ and Mrs ABC. I am gifted with a swet brother who is doing engneering. I beleive in hard work and that is the only key for success, and rmaining strenght.... it ws great to study in AAA college and my efforts were fruitful that i scored x%..
    I think this is a better answer than above one where u have explained ur personal details and ur qualification... Similarly u also prepare a better and different ans which will attract the interviewers.

3. If u r losing fluency and not able to ans vrbally then ask for paper and pen immediatly with a polite request. Never hesitate for that. the ultimate goal from both side is to transfr the information. So make use of paper, pen and sketch some diagrams if u that is easliy understandable to the interviewer.

4. B honest like if u dont know something then accept taht and say u r not aware of that but will work on this after the interview session.

5. Dont lose confidence if u r not able to ans 1,2,3 questions ...u still have chance to ans next. They gnerally ask 2-3-4 qustions which are not obvious and difficulty level above average just to chek how u handle such situation and ur confidence level in suh situation.

5. Give smart replies, don be a dumbo and woh hi ghisse itte ans.

6. Dont mug up things too much rather be dynamic and smart.

7. Again, communication is the key for todays intrviews. U can not improve ur cmmunication within a week or month so be steady on that.... Abhi se shuru kar do 1 saal baad waale interviw ke liye

8. Confidence is really really really a must. Jat ho toh confident hona laajmi hai but still have some 5-10 mock interviews and pump more confidence into u.
    Last edited by dkumars; September 3rd, 2008 at 04:43 PM.

Login to view details.
    Quote Originally Posted by mansi289 View Post
    ok
    1st ques>> how wud we knw wat mistakes we made in d last interview?
    Mansi , As Devender said and Somewhere Brahm also mentioned , you yourself are the best judge of yourself and you should know why and how you were selected or waht went wrong.

A self assessment is very critical , That is why I always encourage to have a couple of blank sheets and Pen with you and keep making small notes/signs/codes for yourself on what was asked and how you approached it ,ofcourse this should not diffuse your attention ( you have to practice this , because this is kind of multitasking).

Although it is beneficial because at the end you know what happened and also it shows to the interviewere that you are pretty meticulous on all things. In today's corporate world , all things are interrelated and many things are to be get done and for that you need effective and concise communication skills. This ntoe making habit can help you to take good MOMs ( Minutes of meeting ). Helpyy in long term as well.

Next all HRs do havea responsiblity to give you feedback of your interview even if you are ot selected. Its their job , dont hesitate to write them an email for the same , at least something will come out of it and you never know u get a point which can help u immensely.

Login to view details.

Regards,
    Manoj
    same is the ques. arousing in my mind....i always remain trustworthy and frank while giving any reply to the interviewer

Well Manoj & Neelam :

Nishant replied with an example.

And DK wrote this masterpiece : :D
    In weaknesses ppl gnerally say communication is not gud but i have started working on that and have seen a gud improvement on that, passionate that dont take rest untill job is finished which sometimes effect my health and other tasks, emotinal and lot more but these are the weaknessess which are strenght in disguise. So, ur weakness shud not be something which will affect ur productivity and output. It shud either be something which is a strength but sometimes u feel u suffered coz of that but still no compromize with ur productivity or something which u have started working on and seen gud improvement.

-------

DK is write , absolutely , we are living in an highly competitive world and no one would want you if you are not the best or if u have negative traits.

I would substantiate that it is very important to understand the company's vision and work culture etc before going for the interview. At elast for Freshers , you have 4 years after joining college to find out about the companies and for sure all of you might be having your dream companies. So at least research about them.
    Note the main points :
    1. Company's vision.
    2. Company's work timings.
    3. Company work ethics , culture ( dress sense ) etc.

Now consider this as an sample answer.
    My weakness is that at times I dwell too much on the problem at hand , for example in one of my projects , I was working on a problem and though i solved it and presented to my professor/employer( becaue there was a certain time frame to the submission) , I was not satisfied and I researched on it further and got some good results and infact an more efficient solution.
    Now that shows that ok , even if you are passionate and a bit emotional on some things :
    1. you are research oriented.
    2. you are puntual in the sense that you submitted the task on time.
    3. The extra research you did was from your own time means you will not be taxing the company!

Caution: Be prepared for an question like : Tell me more about that problem and what was your inital solution and what was the final ( So be prepared with some sort of example : My suggestion would be for a big project tell the interviewer that although the aim of project was only till the half of the project but u did the complete :D ).

If the company is not particular about work timings , you can say that one of your weaknesses is that you at times like to work according to your own ( Remember that the job u would be doing does not require you to punctual , then only you can say this ).

Quote Originally Posted by anilsinghd View Post
    Well Manoj & Neelam :

Nishant replied with an example.

And DK wrote this masterpiece : :D

-------

DK is write , absolutely , we are living in an highly competitive world and no one would want you if you are not the best or if u have negative traits.

I would substantiate that it is very important to understand the company's vision and work culture etc before going for the interview. At elast for Freshers , you have 4 years after joining college to find out about the companies and for sure all of you might be having your dream companies. So at least research about them.
    Note the main points :
    1. Company's vision.
    2. Company's work timings.
    3. Company work ethics , culture ( dress sense ) etc.

Now consider this as an sample answer.
    My weakness is that at times I dwell too much on the problem at hand , for example in one of my projects , I was working on a problem and though i solved it and presented to my professor/employer( becaue there was a certain time frame to the submission) , I was not satisfied and I researched on it further and got some good results and infact an more efficient solution.
    Now that shows that ok , even if you are passionate and a bit emotional on some things :
    1. you are research oriented.
    2. you are puntual in the sense that you submitted the task on time.
    3. The extra research you did was from your own time means you will not be taxing the company!

Caution: Be prepared for an question like : Tell me more about that problem and what was your inital solution and what was the final ( So be prepared with some sort of example : My suggestion would be for a big project tell the interviewer that although the aim of project was only till the half of the project but u did the complete :D ).

If the company is not particular about work timings , you can say that one of your weaknesses is that you at times like to work according to your own ( Remember that the job u would be doing does not require you to punctual , then only you can say this ).

Absolutely Anil... word by word.
    Thanks for the guidelines. I expectd that u will take an active participation in this. Kep poring brother and hlp the youngsters.

Others please come frwd and share ur mistakes and solutions for that

Thanks Nishant for your reply to my queries.

I feel I was not selected because I was too sticky for area which I wanted to after joining there i.e. Vehicle safety/Occupant safety .
    Then HR told me that GE has rotational policy of work, you can work for in some other and then you can join in Vehicle Safety.
    I replied sth like this:
    I would like to work on Vehicle Safety, otherwise Imapct related work in other area.

Regards,
    Manoj
    Well this is gr8 Manoj u found out the mistake and hope u will work on that.

Here, one more thing u can say all that and dont run towards the job which is not of ur kind but only and only when if u r confdent enough to get ur kinda job.

I suggested as per ur post u wud have grabbed that. Initilally its vry difficult to get a job of ur choice. That is marely luck if u get. Get into the job and later u can switch over within or outside the company. The HR in ur case mentined that its rotating so i feel ur reply was not appreciating one in such scenerio.

Always keep smile on ur face(artificial hi sahi) that shows u r confident and not under stress and u look beautiful too.

Login to view details.

I replied sth like this:

Regards,
    Manoj
    Flexibity is an important quality mate.

I am currently absed in Munich global office , they want me badly ( though I arrived here by chance ) and US office ( my original destination want me to go back to US once visa issues are resolved ).

My personal preference is Munich but still I say , well I should go to US , then may be come back to Munich etc etc bla bla!

U got to show u r flexible with any kind of work , assignment , in today's environments u never know when a particular technolgy goes out of touch and u got to have flexibility to adapt.

And always remember No employer would employ u in a place where u r less productive , so there aint any negative in saying , I am totally flexible as per company's vision and plans.!

Login to view details.
    Quote Originally Posted by brahmtewatia View Post

Poor handshake:

Talking too much:
    Failure to match communication styles:

Talking negatively about current or past employers/managers:
    Verbal ticks:

Not enough/too much eye contact:
    some valid points!

Login to view details.
    Quote Originally Posted by dkumars View Post
    My personal exprienced and guidelines i follow.

Better ans as per me .... My parents named me Devender Kumar and i am proud to be son of Mr XYZ and Mrs ABC. I am gifted with a swet brother who is doing engneering. I beleive in hard work and that is the only key for success, and rmaining strenght.... it ws great to study in AAA college and my efforts were fruitful that i scored x%..

Still better would be that you dont say anything that is on your resume. Its nice to make the complete resume because u r shortlisted as per the resume only. But still your introduction ( in an response to the typical question : Tell me something about yourself ) should be something which u have not mentioned on the resume.
    Not to offend anyone but frankly the interviewer is probably not interested in your family details , be professional , tell him what he wants to hear.

I take my example : I was interviewing for I Banks and the first thing I told them was my interest for Maths and which led me to choose maths in IITs and I didnt forget to relate the maths to finance ( an obvious connection).
    Say things like I like challenges in life!

Dont hesitate to tell them your favrt sports and hobbies ( Another important thing : Show some variety here , music is too regular , say things like Int'l and National Politics ( but be prepared to asnwer a few questions) , Literature etc ( Develop some interests like that , its good always )).

If you are going for an data oriented job , say u like puzzles , number theoretic ones etc etc ( Again CAution : Expect questions and be pre prepared for that ).

Now thats really going deep into mind of interviewer and making him ask what you wnat him to ask.

It aint that difficult.

You name certain things of your strengths in your introduction ( which are also interesting ) and the human in the interviewere would drift to ask you on those interesting topics. Playing to your stength ,right ?

3. If u r losing fluency and not able to ans vrbally then ask for paper and pen immediatly with a polite request. Never hesitate for that. the ultimate goal from both side is to transfr the information. So make use of paper, pen and sketch some diagrams if u that is easliy understandable to the interviewer.

Paper and pen always good , that not only gives u time to think but also makes the impression that you are being methodical in approaching an problem. Even if you think you wont get the complete answer show them how you approach it , may be thats enough for him! Sometimes the intervieweres ask you questions that you can never answer! Taht is to stress t est you , just show him how you approach ,may be then he himself might help you a bit.

Dont show nervousness while writing on paper , neither too slow , nor too fast , show a balanced behaviour!

4. B honest like if u dont know something then accept taht and say u r not aware of that but will work on this after the interview session.
    First Question to me in Gold Man Sachs was : Solve the pde ! Now who on earth can do that ? ( I have read the concept and can only solve it given 1)Book 2)about 30 mins )

Just say No if you absolutely dont know , dont waste his time or yours!

On the lighter side

Quote Originally Posted by dkumars View Post
    5. Dont lose confidence if u r not able to ans 1,2,3 questions ...u still have chance to ans next. They gnerally ask 2-3-4 qustions which are not obvious and difficulty level above average just to chek how u handle such situation and ur confidence level in suh situation.
    On the lighter side, I remember, in one of the my IIM entrance interview the prof asked me questions on Plasma screens and Hard disks, of course being the fraud engineer that I was, I did not have a clue. In a row, for 7 questions, I replied I don't know, I don't know. After the 7th "I don't know" he said (with an irritated face) “if being a computer engineer you don't know about it then would a rikshawala know”. I was embarrassed and the only thing I could do was not to look at his face. I looked at the other interviewer and she was smiling at me. The only thing I could do was smile back at her. Seeing me smiling the prof also started smiling.

But at the end I am not an electronics engineer and I was not supposed to know about the intricacies of plasmas and hard disks. But it was funny as hell, me smiling in that situation .

Login to view details.
    Thanks Anilji and DK for your reply.
    I knew that if I little bit flexibility that will be good, but I am not job hungry at this moment so I kept myself rigid on that particular. I just attended interview for experience.

Thanks all others for sharing their experiences.
    Regards,
    Manoj

Login to view details.
    Quote Originally Posted by anujdahiya View Post
    On the lighter side, I remember, in one of the my IIM entrance interview the prof asked me questions on Plasma screens and Hard disks, of course being the fraud engineer that I was, I did not have a clue. In a row, for 7 questions, I replied I don't know, I don't know. After the 7th "I don't know" he said (with an irritated face) “if being a computer engineer you don't know about it then would a rikshawala know”. I was embarrassed and the only thing I could do was not to look at his face. I looked at the other interviewer and she was smiling at me. The only thing I could do was smile back at her. Seeing me smiling the prof also started smiling.

But at the end I am not an electronics engineer and I was not supposed to know about the intricacies of plasmas and hard disks. But it was funny as hell, me smiling in that situation .
    Well Anuj , that was because you were not an electronics guy!

Hows this one for embarassment!

Goldman Sachs , first round , Q1 : Solve the PDE : Straight and Blunt I said : I do not know. Rest went well.
    So round two , went excellent , was on my resume and my projects.

Round 3 : there sat an old guy and very calm and relaxed personality , he comforted me a lot and made me understand the kind of wrok i will be doing. then he says , ok i will ask you maths questions!

I was happy , because I used to consider myself theoreticl maths guy ! Then he said whats your favourite topic , And I was at my most merry situation : I replied Abstract algebra ! I thought I was good at it. :p

He asked me 5 questions and I dint knew a single word :eek: I have never ever heard of what he was asking.
    Infat then he shifted to number theory and I spent the rest of interview understanding some abstract algebra and number theory from him.

@ all : Sorry for a detour! Keep coming with questions! Would be happy to give my opinions!

My Interview experience

TCS: He started with very basic question tell me abt urself. Then after sometime he interrupted me in bwn and started asking technicals.
    Technicals were quite ordinary. He knew that m from North india so he talked in Hindi just to make me feel comfortable. I got stuck with one database query then he just helped me out. Actually, he was observing wheter i m trying it or i give up. But i tried all possible things then he gave me a hint and i cud solve it. So, here the main motto was if i give up or struggle thats what impressed him. Otherwise it was quite ok ... he asked me my fav actor, I said sunny deol then he asked me to deliver some fav dialogues. These ppl are very polite and helping so dont worry they will help u a lot. Just be frank a lil bit.

Honeywell : It was kinda technical but here also they were very helping and help u to solve the problem. Had more HRs then Technical.

Here, i just want to convey that dont scare of interviewer, they are damn good guys. be a lil frank and be very confident dats it and u will find u have made it.

All the best guys
    Last edited by dkumars; September 5th, 2008 at 12:07 PM.

Smile all replies satisfying

proceedings here are producing very positive effect and also capturing the interest

Anuj Dahiya's personal experience is somewhat very obivious, natural and funny.

i agree with Dev about the loyalty,.....i usually calculate and then reply to any interviewer (truely speaking, i can teach anybody the heights of laziness :D but never reflect the same while at interview....hehe)....if i want that job then ofcourse i'll have to present myself the way they wanna match me.....otherwise i don't care and just come out after little enjoyment and fun, if i'm least interested for that job

now regarding my weaknesses, then my reply is similar to Anil's to some extent if not exactly, that i'm very fussy about details, and very inquisitve....hehe....so this is all i talk about my weaknesses (aur ye dono kamiyan sacchi mein hain mujhme).....baaki khubiyon ki list lambi hoti hai :D (even sometimes they try to draw out my more weaknesses but i handle the communication smartly as much as i could :D)....abhi tak to iss stage tak loser kabhi rahi nahin....aage ka aage dekhenge

and for sure all the provided valuable tips/suggestions will help one to bring some better change to fit himself/herself in the first chance

last but not the least, as pointed by Hamendra.....an effective CV is must...now pls throw some light on this also.....(m talking about the one who does not have any experience/ have such experience which can only be stated if asked, but not meant to be mentioned in resume)

Regards
    Neelam

last but not the least, as pointed by Hamendra.....an effective CV is must...now pls throw some light on this also.....(m talking about the one who does not have any experience/ have such experience which can only be stated if asked, but not meant to be mentioned in resume)

Regards
    Neelam
    it wud b appreciated if members can forward/attach sum gud sample CV's. this wud surely help everyBUDDY out here, to catch gud points nd add more worthiness to their own CV. me too hav'nt updated my CV for past 8-10 yrs... may b, i'll also take a leaf out to add to my CV, wch its still running on window 2000. :p:D