Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 12 ... LastLast

Thread: Angrezo ki Angrezi seekho. Learn English

Little correction.

It shouldn't be called "Jhootha", rather it is called "Jootha".
    Jhootha is "liar".
    Quote Originally Posted by dkumars View Post
    I have seen many times ppl share their drinks, food etc ... Here, in Hindi we have got a word "Jhootha" Ex. mein nahi peeta, ye paani jhootha hai. So, i am confused how do we translate this. As English guys don have such concept of jhootha.
    Presently i translate it like, I wont drink this glass of water because it is used one.

Any better replacement for this ?

Many times an is used before a word not starting with a vowel because phonetically the starting sound of the word is a vowel sound, e.g. an honest man... Ofcourse it is wrong to use did and second form together.. Jootha khana, i am not sure...
    Quote Originally Posted by dkumars View Post
    Few corrections....

I noticed many a times that ppl use "an" as an article before a word which is not starting with a vowel. I am really confused if they are correct or its a new trend.

Many ppl use second form of verb in past negative indefinite tense like I didn't used that or i did not said. Here, again what i read is it shud be first form in indefinite negative tense.

If this is correct or some new trend then please let me know.

Dev

Quote Originally Posted by sumitsehrawat View Post
    Dev bhai... good thread... me too a learner.
    As for that jhootha gilaas... "Sorry, I won't drink water from this spoiled glass".
    hw abt this 1... "Sorry, I won't drink spoiled water from this glass"... reason: chances r more of water being spoiled rather than glass. :p
    p.s. : u've to 1st make sure tht u dont want to drink jhootha water or water frm jhootha glass
    :p:D
    c'mon folks... lets b realistic, evry language has its own beauty. can u ever think of translating ghazals/shers of mirza ghalib nd still enjoy them in converted language... if u do, then wat wud u say... wah wah kya LION hai or wud u say... wah wah kya sher hai :D
    Last edited by brahmtewatia; September 9th, 2008 at 01:02 PM.
    ! ... be BOLD in what you stand for !
    !! ... i've the simplest tastes, i'm always satisfied with the best !!
    !!! ... be yourself, everyone else is already taken !!!

ek aur LION arz kiya hai... in perfect ungrezi... :D:D:D

The Funny English Language

We'll begin with a box and the plural is boxes.
    But the plural of ox should be oxen, not oxes.

The one fowl is a goose but two are called geese,
    Yet the plural of moose should never be meese.

You may found a lone mouse or a whole set of mice,
    Yet the plural of house is houses not hice.

If the plural of man is always called men,
    Why shouldn't the plural of pan be called pen?

If I speak of a foot and you show me your feet,
    And I give you a boot, would a pair be called beet?

If one is a tooth and a whole set are teeth,
    Why should not the plural of booth be called beeth?

Then one may be that and three would be those,
    Yet hat in the plural wouldn't be hose.
    And the plural of cat is cats and not cose.

We speak of a brother and also of brethren,
    But though we say Mother, we never say Methren,

Then the masculine pronouns are he, his and him,
    But imagine the feminine she, shis and shim,

So English, I fancy you will all agree,
    Is the funniest language you ever did see.

i learned french for a while (just a,b,c... of french only). my french teacher used to convince us by sayin'... tht french vocab nd pronunciation is a lot easier than in english.

I take it you already know
    Of tough and bough and cough and dough?
    Others may stumble, but not you,
    On hiccough, thorough, lough and through?
    Well done! And now you wish, perhaps,
    To learn of less familiar traps?
    Beware of heard, a dreadful word
    That looks like beard and sounds like bird,
    And dead: it's said like bed, not bead -
    For goodness sake don't call it deed!
    Watch out for meat and great and threat
    (They rhyme with suite and straight and debt).
    A moth is not a moth in mother,
    Nor both in bother, broth in brother,
    And here is not a match for there
    Nor dear and fear for bear and pear,
    And then there's dose and rose and lose -
    Just look them up - and goose and choose,
    And cork and work and card and ward,
    And font and front and word and sword,
    And do and go and thwart and cart -
    Come, come, I've hardly made a start!
    A dreadful language? Man alive!
    I'd mastered it when I was five!

Quote Originally Posted by ritu View Post
    i do not drink liar water.......:p
    Can we put it this way >>> the water is liar by someone...so I will not drink...
    Keshav Dahiya
    www.dahiya.us

Quote Originally Posted by brahmtewatia View Post
    ek aur LION arz kiya hai... in perfect ungrezi... :D:D:D

The Funny English Language

We'll begin with a box and the plural is boxes.
    But the plural of ox should be oxen, not oxes.

The one fowl is a goose but two are called geese,
    Yet the plural of moose should never be meese.

You may found a lone mouse or a whole set of mice,
    Yet the plural of house is houses not hice.

If the plural of man is always called men,
    Why shouldn't the plural of pan be called pen?

If I speak of a foot and you show me your feet,
    And I give you a boot, would a pair be called beet?

If one is a tooth and a whole set are teeth,
    Why should not the plural of booth be called beeth?

Then one may be that and three would be those,
    Yet hat in the plural wouldn't be hose.
    And the plural of cat is cats and not cose.

We speak of a brother and also of brethren,
    But though we say Mother, we never say Methren,

Then the masculine pronouns are he, his and him,
    But imagine the feminine she, shis and shim,

So English, I fancy you will all agree,
    Is the funniest language you ever did see.
    Just a little question sir.. Which language do you use in your office? Definitely not Afrikaans i am sure.. This thread is i am sure not started to make fun of the language but to accept that we need to master this language as it is the most preferred language in business communication across the globe. I dont think making fun of the language serves any purpose.

i learned french for a while (just a,b,c... of french only). my french teacher used to convince us by sayin'... tht french vocab nd pronunciation is a lot easier than in english.

And if you learnt french, you will know that in french even a simple word like "the" has three different way of being written- le, la and les. And for your problems in english pronounciation, just learn phonetics along with the spellings and you will never again have any problem pronouncing a word correctly.

Quote Originally Posted by sandeepkadian05 View Post
    Just a little question sir.. Which language do you use in your office? Definitely not Afrikaans i am sure.. This thread is i am sure not started to make fun of the language but to accept that we need to master this language as it is the most preferred language in business communication across the globe. I dont think making fun of the language serves any purpose.
    dude he was pointing out at the exceptions in english language....dont twist his point of view.

BTW.....people you can request Deepshi to get along with you....she is real good at spoken and written English.....she can really push this thread to uplift our community and fellow jats
    Keshav Dahiya
    www.dahiya.us

Regardng the jootha glass, i think it will be:-

I will not drink from from this glass as its already been usedand same can be said for food and other eatables.

Can anyone tell me the methods they applied in learning the vocabulary( grammer also), as we all know learnning and unlearning are simultaneous as action and reaction. But for me unlearning is faster then learning, so please suggest to make it vice versa:D
    Khudi ko kar buland itna ke har taqder se pehle
    Khuda bande se ye poche bata teri raza kia hai

Besides above one more thing please do share ,
    how to increase the reading speed without compromising on your comprehensions ability?
    Khudi ko kar buland itna ke har taqder se pehle
    Khuda bande se ye poche bata teri raza kia hai

hi guys first of all i want to thanks u to start a thread. i sometimes afraid to write in english just because i m not very good in it guys plz rectify my mistakes if i make some in writing. and i request u all plz don't make fun as this is my first try to write in english on net. i keep on asking u some doubts which i have while speaking in english.

Nice effort Tewatia ji....Its really important to emphasize of the accent and the way you speak a word...if not spoken properly, might confuse with some other word "IF" not spoken properly...

Last edited by keshavdahiya; September 9th, 2008 at 01:33 PM.
    Keshav Dahiya
    www.dahiya.us

Smile My opinion

Learning English is possible only if one has some reading habit, be it a novel, champak, newspaper or any story book....start with simple to complex....and as shared by Anil, learning word-meanings and then putting it at some place anyhow is also a good idea.....try to use it somewhere (correction will be done by the other responsible person)

Next, i appreciate Yoginder's enthusiasm.....if he would not have participated in the general talks then he might not be able to communicate fluently....so hesitation/shyness has to be kept aside if one really wanna learn something

Even sometimes, some of my friends talked to me and asked to help them to learn English speaking.....now the way they asked me was very difficult to teach.....one need to show his/her individual participation.

The more you practice the better it becomes.....so practice is must, just like we practice Hindi Language in daily use

Cramming all the grammar rules will help u to score good in the grammar section but reading and speaking out the sentences on your own will enhance your communication style.

For the beginners/learners......ALWAYS CARRY A POCKET DICTIONARY wherever you go (oxford or gem are the two of best kind).....also it should be english to english, not bilingual type....it might be difficult for the learner to get the meaning in the very first look, he might be consulting like meaning of meaning, but this will help u understand better......though very tedious or even boring sometimes.

And very importantly, don't deteriorate the beauty of any language (as explained by Brahm Sir).....even i also told you earlier, its not always possible to make the exact translation.....just to maintain the quality

Rest, a little fun like Ritu Di and others is allowed (juniors can grant for such permission from the thread starter).....so that the class does not remain dull :D (discipline as per moderators' rule/Jatland policy)

Smile We're desperately waiting for her to land here

Quote Originally Posted by keshavdahiya View Post
    BTW.....people you can request Deepshi to get along with you....she is real good at spoken and written English.....she can really push this thread to uplift our community and fellow jats
    How may I help U? lady.....pls come-up and provide the best of your services

Quote Originally Posted by sandeepkadian05 View Post
    dude he was pointing out at the exceptions in english language....dont twist his point of view.
    Nice effort Tewatia ji....Its really important to emphasize of the accent and the way you speak a word...if not spoken properly, might confuse with some other word "IF" not spoken properly...
    tks keshav, for yr. understanding nd the clarifications

dear sandeep, the nuances of any language are not easily understood :rolleyes: as i say this... i guess i've answered both of yr. posts in my previous post #23 (reproduced below for yr. ready reference). my idea was not to make fun of any language... i guess u might have realized NOW by this post of mine nd wat keshav has commented

hw abt this 1... "Sorry, I won't drink spoiled water from this glass"... reason: chances r more of water being spoiled rather than glass. :p
    p.s. : u've to 1st make sure tht u dont want to drink jhootha water or water frm jhootha glass
    :p:D
    c'mon folks... lets b realistic, evry language has its own beauty. can u ever think of translating ghazals/shers of mirza ghalib nd still enjoy them in converted language... if u do, then wat wud u say... wah wah kya LION hai or wud u say... wah wah kya sher hai :D

Smile especially for sandeep kadian

Pitfalls : Funny

Funny looks like it should mean the same thing as “fun.” But it doesn’t. “Fun” is an adjective for something you enjoy, something you like doing, something that makes you happy. Playing a game is fun. Going sightseeing is fun. It’s fun to play with a kitten. Skiing looks like fun. I had a fun day at the beach.

“Funny” is an adjective with two main meanings:

1) Strange or weird. This food tastes funny. This medicine makes me feel funny. It’s funny that you already know my brother. Your eye looks funny. I got a funny phone call.

2) Something that makes you laugh at it. That movie was funny. Your puppy is so funny. The kitten is funny when it plays with its tail. That movie looks funny. I heard a funny joke.

It can be hard to tell whether someone is using meaning 1 or 2 for “funny,” so English speakers sometimes have this kind of conversation:

brahm: It was nice to meet your mother. She’s funny.
    sandeep: Funny-weird or funny-haha?
    brahm: Funny-haha! She has a great sense of humor and she told some great jokes.

If someone is telling jokes and trying to make you laugh, then it’s fine to say that the person is funny. However, other times it’s not OK. It will make the other person feel bad. For example, let’s imagine you come to my Thanksgiving dinner and you have a good time:

CONVERSATION A

sandeep: The dinner was really fun.
    brahm (with a smile): Aw, thank you. I’m so glad you came.

CONVERSATION B
    sandeep: The dinner was really funny.
    brahm (frown): Really? Why?
    In Conversation B, I’m frowning because you said “funny.” As a result, I think my dinner either was strange to you or made you laugh at it.
    At times, in fact often always laughing is usually a sign of having fun. However, laughing at something can also mean that you think it is stupid or not good. So be careful!

A comedy movie can be fun and funny, of course, because:
    a) you’ll have fun watching it, and
    b) you are supposed to laugh at it.

One way to help yourself remember this kind of difference is to remember the word in one sentence for each meaning. Pick natural-sounding sentences that make the meaning clear to you.
    For example —
    “Your party was a lot of fun.” (fun)
    “This food tastes funny.” (funny 1)
    “That joke was really funny.” (funny 2)
    Last edited by brahmtewatia; September 9th, 2008 at 02:41 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by rinkusheoran View Post
    Regardng the jootha glass, i think it will be:-

I will not drink from from this glass as its already been used and same can be said for food and other eatables.

"i will not eat this banana because its already being used" ???
    ... wotsay on this :rolleyes::D

rectifying the abv sentence, nd btr understanding the nuances of a particular language, i wud re-write above sentence as follow:

"i will not eat this banana because its already eaten by sum one else".

Good idea to start this thread. Perhaps it will draw out those who feel out of their depth when confronted with English, written or spoken.
    The best way to improve your language skills is to read, read and read some more.
    Anything you can get your hands on, be it a newspaper, comic book, fantasy/fiction or the more substantial stuff.
    You will see how the grammar is applied; it will increase your vocabulary and at the same time expand your horizon. You can sit in your chair and go back in time to visit long lost civilizations or let your imagination soar and take a glimpse into the future.
    Keep your dictionary at hand, not just to look up unfamiliar words but to learn synonyms as well.
    And once you have tackled the written word, go for the pronunciation. Indians tend to have a very pronounced accent.
    Then you will be able to get the jokes, the puns, and the expressions that are unique to a language…
    And like others have pointed out, don’t be embarrassed. There is no shame in learning.
    Mastering a language is a skill like any other and only practice will make you perfect (well let’s say, very good since perfection is hard to achieve in any language, even for a scholar). And the more languages you learn, the easier it gets. I am fluent in 5 and because of that I can manage quite well in another 3 of the same group.

On the other hand, there is something that I find quite disturbing when I visit India. (Please correct me if I am wrong if it is just a subjective impression of mine rather than being an objective fact).
    I agree that English is a global language and a good grasp of it is essential for everyone, be it for business or pleasure. But I get the feeling that somehow, in the mindsets of Indians, a (speaking) knowledge of English has somehow become correlated to perhaps belonging to a higher social hierarchy. (Perhaps because it used to be for the ‘elite’ rather than for the masses?) If you do not speak English, you are demoted to an inferior social stratum. To give a stupid example, you go into a shop and speak English and show a lot of attitude, you are elevated to ‘Madam’ and will be given preferential treatment over some simple, unpretentious lady who entered the shop at the same time. (The fact that some of these ‘madams’ treat the shop assistant like dirt does not seem to bother him/her, at first glance).
    Our leaders seem to take pride in addressing the world in a language that is not ours. You don’t see the Russian or Japanese prime minister, the French president or the German chancellor (all leaders of leading ‘super powers’) addressing the United Nations in a foreign language. But then again, in which of the numerous Indian languages should/would an Indian leader communicate (without starting communitarian riots). But I am getting side-tracked here…

As for helping out, I will be glad to contribute to this thread and share my knowledge of this language, albeit limited.

"i will not eat this banana because its already eaten by sum one else".
    Don't mean to be nitpicking but to be correct, I believe it should be "i will not eat this banana because its already been eaten by someone else"