Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast

Thread: Angrezo ki Angrezi seekho. Learn English

Email Verification Pending
    Login to view details.
    Neelam...solied is used for "jootha" also....

If you see Microsoft dictionary... soiled = "stained or marked, especially during normal use"

Kindly search google once with "soiled dishes" or "soiled glasses" and you will find many uses of word "soiled"....:D

Quote Originally Posted by choudharyneelam View Post
    brother, though the spoiled word used by Sumit is not as appropriate, but for your query here's a little explanation....'Soiled' is something related to dirt....means....that makes something dirty/stained

again make a rewind and read the correct replies of the first sentence given by others.....still u remain with any doubt, then write again

haanji Bhai, you are right ... I made a spelling mistake... I meant "soiled". And yes, soiled is absolutely right in this context. Soiled glass can very much be used for jhootha gilaas.

Quote Originally Posted by anilsangwan View Post
    Spoiled or soiled ? I am also a learner, so pls confirm.....

I read Seema's post and realized I could further correct it and so replied. Maybe, I should have checked for related correction in the further posts. If that's a mistake or a slip then I ask for your forgiveness.

Coming back to the topic... "evolution" in itself is a process... bhaisahab, you made it redundant by using "evolution process".
    It could have been .... "evolution takes its own time..."

Quote Originally Posted by brahmtewatia View Post
    evolution process takes its own time... i don't find any difference in abv two versions. :p ... we r still eating bananas... urrr.... evolving !!! :D:D
    enjoy bananas :rock

Good thread indeed DK.
    After lots of water and banana. Can we try the translation of oud old jattu joke to english

"Lomdee ja thi khet ke dolle dolle. Mara Dalla dhen paddi"
    "No one can make you feel inferior without your consent..."

Guys we are goin in wrong direction. The thread was meant for something else. Please come forward and put ur queries and remember when u ask a question u r sharing the information with many and they are also be benefited.

I am not able to make proper use of grievance and complain also transform and transmogrified. What is the exact difference. Please explain.
    Last edited by dkumars; September 11th, 2008 at 01:41 AM.

As far as I understand Grievance, what I have problem with and than I complain because of this. So one(complain) arises from another (grievance)

Quote Originally Posted by dkumars View Post
    I am not able to make proper use of grievance and complain also transform and transmogrified. What is the exact difference. Please explain.
    "No one can make you feel inferior without your consent..."

Quote Originally Posted by dkumars View Post

DK Grievance is as explained by Mr. Dalal the cause of complain, and complain is to express discontentment. Transform and transmogrified as i understand are synonyms but if there is any difference i will be glad to know.

Exclamation nuances of a language.

Quote Originally Posted by sumitsehrawat View Post
    I read Seema's post and realized I could further correct it and so replied. Maybe, I should have checked for related correction in the further posts. If that's a mistake or a slip then I ask for your forgiveness.

Coming back to the topic... "evolution" in itself is a process... bhaisahab, you made it redundant by using "evolution process".
    It could have been .... "evolution takes its own time..."
    dear sumit... it seems tht u got offended by my correction (wch was n'vr intended to prove a point... or watever). i assume tht this forced u to put forth another point/assumption wch even u wud also tend to disagree. :p anyway, lets continue the discussion further nd i wud rqst u to take it in rt. spirit, cos it has nuthin' to prove... my stmt was corrected by seemateotia nd her by saurav nandal... nd so on... did anyone proved a point... i guess NOT. hence no question of forgivness

sum may argue tht evolution is neither a process nor a theory, instead it is a dogma... lemme explain u how...
    (as i say this... pls. b apprised tht the further contents in this post r used just for the sake of argument, they may or may not reflect my opinion or belief. it may further b noted tht by giving the following assumption i'm myself contradicting the usage of word process)

... nd b4 i proceed any further, lemme explain wat is dogma :
    a dogma is an authoritative principle, belief, or statement of ideas or opinion, especially one considered to be absolutely true. if i'm correct, i guess yr. explanation is based on assumption tht darwin's theory of evolution was correct... having said so, u've all the reasons to beleive nd call it a process. remember tht b4 calling it a process, u've agreed to darwinian assumptions... the so called "darwin's theory of evolution".

a common misconception abt evolution is tht it is proved by all the evidence tht it explains: such as the fact tht natural selection occurs, divergence nd adaptation, nd even formation of new species. the lack of a credible viable mechanism for the production of functioning genes is a fundamental flaw in the theory of evolution. now the Q cums as to y it shud b accepted as dogma ??? (btr say... referred as dogma) the reason is tht the elegance of the darwinian paradigm is utterly mind blowing. it just makes so much sense as it explains nd makes sense of pretty much everything in biology... nd for tht matter the evidence for it is everywhere to b seen.

so, calling evolution a process can also b argued ? well the argument can go on even further, but the fact i wud like to emphasize is tht - the nuances of any language are not easily understood... as i say this nd has been aptly proven in previous posts, there can b no end to explaining these nuances nd the arguments + examinations + cross examinations will n'vr end... hope tht clarifies

further lines of argument : :D
    the process of industrialization
    the process of fertilization
    the process of immunization
    the big bang theory (current nd hot topic)...
    the process of ...
    the theory of...

p.s. : for sure u r not a back-bencher, as claimed by u in one of yr. previous posts :p
    ! ... be BOLD in what you stand for !
    !! ... i've the simplest tastes, i'm always satisfied with the best !!
    !!! ... be yourself, everyone else is already taken !!!

taking further the case of arguments nd to add a bit more... the theory of evolution qualifies as a scientific theory in much the same way as the theory of gravity does. it wud b vry much prudent if i say tht any scientific theory must remain open to scrutiny, especially in the light of new findings.

... as i say this, tell me wat d'u think we r tryin' to prove at hadron accelerator ?... correct me if i'm wrong cos I think we r just tryin' to re-examine the theory of gravity. b.cos of the acceleration of expansion of the universe (not slowing, as had been expected) nd the existence of dark matter is merely inferred to try to account for the rotation of galaxies wch would fly apart according to the current theory of gravity... havin' said so, i wud like to reiterate tht no theory can be proved b.cos it agrees with a large amount of data... instead, it can be disproved by even just a small amount of contrary evidence... call it falsification in other words... wotsay ???

p.s. : sorry for going off-topic... lets cum back to topic nd eat bananas while we evolve (darwin says tht we evolved to human beings frm monkeys). :D:p:D

o-ho....n I thought English was a funny language...

not offending any one ..lets keep this thread to English language only ..science/tech can be discussed in another thread to have the clarity, otherwise it can get confusing for people like me..:D

Email Verification Pending
    Login to view details.
    Quote Originally Posted by nysa View Post
    o-ho....n I thought English was a funny language...

not offending any one ..lets keep this thread to English language only ..science/tech can be discussed in another thread to have the clarity, otherwise it can get confusing for people like me..:D

Always believe that discussions on public platforms are well off they are in some sort of Linear Datastructure form than using all these Graph ones!

Detours are allright but excess of them kills interest.

Quote Originally Posted by anilsinghd View Post
    Always believe that discussions on public platforms are well off they are in some sort of Linear Datastructure form than using all these Graph ones!

Detours are allright but excess of them kills interest.

yeps!!

u bet!!:D

I wish to say something...

1. Please don't use 'sms' jargon in this thread. For all we know, we might end up confusing ourselves with the spellings.
    2. For everyone's sake, let's not complicate this thread with unneeded arguments.

I do not wish to write any more on this thread. If someone feels that I can be of any help regarding the english language he/she can contact me anytime through Private Messages. I will be more than happy to share my knowledge. On a serious issue like this, I prefer to be straight & simple and very much hate telling stories.

Looking at it, it's one the most important threads on this website and many Jatlanders are going to be profited from it in the long run.

Thanks and Regards!!

P.S.: Please excuse me, I do not wish to fight on anything.
    Last edited by sumitsehrawat; September 11th, 2008 at 10:20 PM. Reason: Post script added...

Quote Originally Posted by sumitsehrawat View Post
    I wish to say something...

1. Please don't use 'sms' jargon in this thread. For all we know, we might end up confusing ourselves with the spellings.
    2. For everyone's sake, let's not complicate this thread with unneeded arguments.

I do not wish to write any more on this thread. If someone feels that I can be of any help regarding the english language he/she can contact me anytime through Private Messages. I will be more than happy to share my knowledge. On a serious issue like this, I prefer to be straight & simple and very much hate telling stories.

Looking at it, it's one the most important threads on this website and many Jatlanders are going to be profited from it in the long run.

Thanks and Regards!!

P.S.: Please excuse me, I do not wish to fight on anything.

Sumit bhai i wrote in last post abt my confusion about using few words can u please help me out on that ?

Others are also welcome... please refer post no 66 of this thread

Quote Originally Posted by brahmtewatia View Post
    so, calling evolution a process can also b argued ? well the argument can go on even further, but the fact i wud like to emphasize is tht - the nuances of any language are not easily understood... as i say this nd has been aptly proven in previous posts, there can b no end to explaining these nuances nd the arguments + examinations + cross examinations will n'vr end... hope tht clarifies
    to understand the nuances of a particular language, u got to know the a, b, c of tht language... otherwise the act becomes like... bhains ke aage been bajana... call it funny or taking detours. if talkin' abt nuances of a particular language is off-topic then i rest my case at peace... carry on folks.

i dont wanna talk on other issues tht were specifically addressed.

90% of the posts on this thread r only talkin' abt the nuances of english language. wat d'u think u guys r talkin' on this thread...

paani jootha hai
    paani jhoota hai
    paani liar hai
    paani spoiled hai
    paani soiled hai

huh ???

Thumbs up nice thread at JL after a long time...

Thanks DK for starting up such a nice thread.

I would like to refer one good book

"Essential English Grammar"
    A self-study reference book for elementary students of English

By: Raymond Murphy, Published by Cambridge University Press

It costs only Rs. 95

And contains 113 chapters

Every single excercise builds your foundation more stronger in a very Interactive manner.

Unlike other books it emphasises more on the spoken english, where the learner himself/herself makes sentences on his own as if he's been asked to answer.

For example:
    from the Do/Does chapter

Write questions with Do...? and Does...?
    Q) You Live near here.And your friends?
    A) Do you friends live near here.

Q) You speak English. And your brother?
    A)Does your brother speak English.

Q) your sister/work/where?
    Where does your sister work

Q How much ........ it cost to phone Canada?
    A)Does

Also the learning methedology is different.
    You're shown a picture of ppls doing something and you're asked to make sentences.you are asked to fill in the conversation inbetween.

Since it being an excercise book, so one can use it any free time.during travelling,lunch,before going to sleep.

It doesn't teach you rules and regulations of grammers. it gives you enough excercises to fill, so that you get used such words.

I find this book better than the popular bestseller, P C Wren & Martin

.................................................. ....
    I request ppls not to dilute this thread for the sake of arguments.Since it being the most useful thread of JL after a long time..
    .................................................. ...

Pls: I'll be more than happy to see the corrections in my above written post.

Pls: Accept your mistakes brave heartedly, also no body is perfect. there is always a scope of further improvement.
    If someone has to kill you, he has to beat you first.

Quote Originally Posted by anilsangwan View Post
    Neelam...solied is used for "jootha" also....

If you see Microsoft dictionary... soiled = "stained or marked, especially during normal use"

Kindly search google once with "soiled dishes" or "soiled glasses" and you will find many uses of word "soiled"....:D
    u r right, brother :D.....now here, i fall short with my words....but felt good that i learnt a little more from u

so, all the beginners, just see that how we learn by each other

Wink On a lighter note - at times neither English nor Hindi can help !

Doctor to sardar patient : Ab aapki tabiyat kaisi hai.
    Sardar : Doctor saheb Pehle se jyada kharab ho gayi hai.

Doctor : dawai khali thi kya?

Sardar : Nai doctor saheb. dawai ki shishi to bhari hui thi.

Doctor : Are Sardar ji mere kehne ka matlab hai ki, dawai le li thi kya.

Sardar : Ji, aapne dawai de di thi aur maine le lit hi.

Doctor: Abe, dawai pili thi kya?

Sardar : Oho, nai doctor saheb dawai to lal thi.

Doctor : Abe GADHE, Dawai ko piliya tha kya?

Sardar : Nai. Doctor, Piliya to mujhe tha.

Doctor( in frustration) : Abe teri to, Dawai ko muh lagakar Pet me dala tha k nai?

Sardar : Nai doctor saheb.

Doctor : Kyon?

Sardar : Kyonki dhakkan band tha.

Doctor : Teri sale, to Khola kyon nai.

Sardar : Saheb, aapne hi to kaha tha ki, shishi ka dhakkan band rakhna.

Doctor : Tera ilaz main nai kar sakta.!

Sardar : Accha Doctor saheb ye to bata do ki main thik kaise hounga