Page 1 of 13 1 2 3 4 5 11 ... LastLast

Thread: Angrezo ki Angrezi seekho. Learn English

Angrezo ki Angrezi seekho. Learn English

Hello JLanders,

As the name suggests this thread is all about english. This thread may be helpful to many of us who want command over the English language.
    Here, on Jatland i have seen many ppl have command over the language but some lack in that. So those who lack and want to improve can make use of this thread.

Write anything withouth hesitation. Do not feel inferior to others. English is just a language but the point is English has owned almost whole market through out the world. So, there is no harm if we learn this foreign language.

How to use the thread ?

1. Ppl who wanna learn write anything but all in english with best possible languae they can use. Try to decorate ur sentences if u feel.

2. Do not hesitate at all. We are Indians and that too farmer Jats and this is not our langauge so there is nothing to feel bad if we dont know how to speak/write English. But we can put efforts to learn this.

3. Respected memebers who are gud in English, please correct the mistakes of others who are learning. Also, suggest if a word can be replaced by proper one, use of words properly and grammatical corrections and even the whole sentence can be replaced by some common idiom or phrase.

4. Please ignore the common typos but do point out if u feel its a spelling mistake.

5. Volunteers are required here. Help ur community this way at least where u just need to share ur knowledge and spend a small duration of time.

6. Do not use Haryanavi, Hindi on this thread if u r sincere towards ur learnings. Make it a complete English thread. Ask questions, reply , share experience but all in English. The best way to maintain the spirit.

7. All the best and beleive u have made it half atleast when u posted ur first reply.

Once again, Darna Sharmana manna hai. Ego ko maaro goli aur khao Angrezi ki goli.

Cheers :rock

Dev
    Last edited by dkumars; September 8th, 2008 at 05:49 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by dkumars View Post
    Hello JLanders,

6. Do not use Haryanavi, Hindi on this thread if u r sincere towards ur learnings. Make it a complete English thread. Ask questions, reply , share experience but all in English. The best way to maintain the spirit.

7. All the best and beleive u have made it half atleast when u posted ur first reply.

Once again, Darna Sharmana manna hai. Ego ko maaro goli aur khao Angrezi ki goli.

Dev
    Mr. DK, atleast you must be sincere.
    Yoginder Gulia

Let me start

I have seen many times ppl share their drinks, food etc ... Here, in Hindi we have got a word "Jhootha" Ex. mein nahi peeta, ye paani jhootha hai. So, i am confused how do we translate this. As English guys don have such concept of jhootha.
    Presently i translate it like, I wont drink this glass of water because it is used one.

Any better replacement for this ?

Quote Originally Posted by ygulia View Post

Sure dear, i will be and will try to serve best as per my capability . Beleive me i have learnt a lot from JL. I am talking abt English here. There are lot of skilled ppl and u get an opportunity to see different writing styles and copy same whatever u like in ur language. And still i have lot of hunger to learn more. So, i hope ppl will help me out on this.

I hope u will also join my hands on this. wot say ?
    Last edited by dkumars; September 8th, 2008 at 06:04 PM.

Hello JLanders,

As the name suggests this thread is all about english. This thread may be helpful to many of us who want command over the English language.
    Here, on Jatland i have seen many ppl have command over the language but some lack in that. So those who lack and want to improve can make use of this thread.

Write anything withouth hesitation. Do not feel inferior to others. English is just a language but the point is English has owned almost whole market through out the world. So, there is no harm if we learn this foreign language.

How to use the thread ?

1. Ppl who wanna learn write anything but all in english with best possible languae they can use. Try to decorate ur sentences if u feel.

2. Do not hesitate at all. We are Indians and that too farmer Jats and this is not our langauge so there is nothing to feel bad if we dont know how to speak/write English. But we can put efforts to learn this.

3. Respected memebers who are gud in English, please correct the mistakes of others who are learning. Also, suggest if a word can be replaced by proper one, use of words properly and grammatical corrections and even the whole sentence can be replaced by some common idiom or phrase.

4. Please ignore the common typos but do point out if u feel its a spelling mistake.

5. Volunteers are required here. Help ur community this way at least where u just need to share ur knowledge and spend a small duration of time.

Dev

Dear Gulia according to me that red line is fine if i m not mistaken.
    Plant one tree atleast
    and pls save water and electricity

I have seen many times ppl share their drinks, food etc ... Here, in Hindi we have got a word "Jhootha" Ex. mein nahi peeta, ye paani jhootha hai. So, i am confused how do we translate this. As English guys don have such concept of jhootha.
    Presently i translate it like, I wont drink this glass of water because it is used one.

What i think it has to be that 'I won't drink this glass of water as it has been already drunk by someone else.'

May be i am wrong because i m in the learning side from this thread.
    Last edited by Nishantrathi82; September 8th, 2008 at 06:17 PM.
    Plant one tree atleast
    and pls save water and electricity

Email Verification Pending
    Login to view details.
    Hello DK,
    I thank you whole heartedly for starting such a nice thread.
    I am going to post very long article on this thread to start with but cant do it right now.

I wish this thread will be one the sticky threads of JATLAND.

Thanks and regards,
    Manoj

Thumbs up a nice step to help others to come out of hesitation

Ex. mein nahi peeta, ye paani jhootha hai.
    simply speaking, .......its used one

or, i won't drink from this glass, its already used

or, (if mannerism is the basis, then speak this way) pls provide me a fresh glass of water

exact translation is not possible sometimes.....so it all depends what you have to say

if anybody knows better then share here with us, even i might be at some mistake

Regards
    Neelam

to err is to human, and to human is to mistake (mistakes makes a man perfect).....so don't hesitate

Login to view details.
    Quote Originally Posted by nishantrathi82 View Post
    Dear Gulia according to me that red line is fine if i m not mistaken.
    Hi Nishant , Probably Yoginder meant that DK said do not use Haryanvi and Hindi and he used it himself in the first post. The red lines were to carve out the differences!

He was not pointing any mistake in the first line.

Personal opinion !

Lets not look at small things anyways!

Login to view details.
    Hi DK , Again an excellent initiative.

Probably the only thing I can suggest ( Myself not an expert ) is that for good communication and written English , we must give a sincere effort at times to not to use the short forms ( you - u , Yours - urs etc.

Also regarding vocabulary , my ultimate philosophy was that Whenever I read an paragraph , I would pick up the difficult words , learn their meanings and use them somewhere , come what may ! :D
    ( Practical Example : When reading those nice guides for Class 10th -12th ) , from every answer / passage / text , I would pick the words , understand their meanings and make sure I at least put those words in the exams in my answer.

Kind of "ratta-fication" but worked in getting good marks and then increasing my vocab.

Also we all must appreciate that spoken and actual meanings can be vastly different.

Login to view details.
    And yes , more importantly , till the point you keep your ego's with you , you cannot gain nice communication skills.

Trade them for the nice skills. Dont hesitate , you might faulter for a couple of months but helps for the next 20 years , not a bad deal , right ?

Quote Originally Posted by anilsinghd View Post
    Hi Nishant , Probably Yoginder meant that DK said do not use Haryanvi and Hindi and he used it himself in the first post. The red lines were to carve out the differences!

Personal opinion !

Thanks Anil for providing clarification and you got it 100%.
    Yoginder Gulia

i do not drink liar water.......:p

" If the loser keeps his smile........
    Then the winner will loose the thrill of the victory.......
    Attitude make the difference......"

And yes , more importantly , till the point you keep your ego's with you , you cannot gain nice communication skills.

Trade them for the nice skills. Dont hesitate , you might faulter for a couple of months but helps for the next 20 years , not a bad deal , right ?

This is very much true. I was a student of Govt. College, Gurgaon and there were a few students in my class (Pre-Engg) from Delhi. Those students most of the time used to communicate among themselves in English. In order to improve my communication skills in English, I joined their company during recess time or whenever there is any free period. My close friends got irritated and they passed the comment that I am trying to become an 'ANGREZ'. I ignored their comments because I knew that my aim was to improve upon my communication skills in English. It paid me in long run. Guys, what Anil said above is true. Even if people laugh at you, please ignore it and take it as a step forward in right direction to further sharpen your skills.
    Last edited by ygulia; September 8th, 2008 at 10:43 PM.
    Yoginder Gulia

Quote Originally Posted by choudharyneelam View Post
    simply speaking, .......its used one

or, i won't drink from this glass, its already used

or, (if mannerism is the basis, then speak this way) pls provide me a fresh glass of water

exact translation is not possible sometimes.....so it all depends what you have to say

if anybody knows better then share here with us, even i might be at some mistake

Regards
    Neelam

to err is to human, and to human is to mistake (mistakes makes a man perfect).....so don't hesitate
    Well you all are correct but still i am searching for a better one. I also use what mentioned y u guys. Well, this is just an example but and i am not satisfied with myself for its present usage. Suppose i say mein jhootha nahi khata ... what shall i say for this ? same used one or better.

Quote Originally Posted by ritu View Post
    i do not drink liar water.......:p
    yeah this may work ... gud one

Personal opinion !

Thanks Anil for providing clarification and you got it 100%.
    well bhaiyo i am still unale to find where you are pointing ?
    if the sentence i asked to translate then i just say i didn get any choice so that was just to put my question.
    Yogender hope u got my point brother

Correction

Few corrections....

I noticed many a times that ppl use "an" as an article before a word which is not starting with a vowel. I am really confused if they are correct or its a new trend.

Many ppl use second form of verb in past negative indefinite tense like I didn't used that or i did not said. Here, again what i read is it shud be first form in indefinite negative tense.

If this is correct or some new trend then please let me know.

Dev

Few corrections....

I noticed many a times that ppl use "an" as an article before a word which is not starting with a vowel. I am really confused if they are correct or its a new trend.

Many ppl use second form of verb in past negative indefinite tense like I didn't used that or i did not said. Here, again what i read is it shud be first form in indefinite negative tense.

If this is correct or some new trend then please let me know.

Dev
    No, Dk there is no new trend, if they use as you mentioned(in red) above then it is not correct.
    Yoginder Gulia

well bhaiyo i am still unale to find where you are pointing ?
    if the sentence i asked to translate then i just say i didn get any choice so that was just to put my question.
    Yogender hope u got my point brother
    Dk, you requested members that they should not use Hindi/Haryanvi language to contribute in this thread(Your point #6).
    You were the first to use that language(last line of your thread).
    Now tell me please, you got it not. I just mentioned it earlier in a lighter mood.
    Yoginder Gulia

Dev bhai... good thread... me too a learner.
    As for that jhootha gilaas... "Sorry, I won't drink water from this spoiled glass".