Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: A Suggestion to Members

Exclamation

Quote Originally Posted by brahmtewatia View Post
    Line of thot – II : Constructive

juss for the sake of argument, i say… okay this is a vry gud thread with sum very gud suggestions included frm worthy members.

so wat?

wat's going to happen?
    nuthin’!!!
    Whatever this may seem to be, but this is the 'only' fact !

Expecting this site to be all constructive, posting & writing by the members in the correct forum every time they write, no leg pulling, no off-topic discussions and no unnecessary ho-halla etc is just equivalent to expecting the impossible.

And yes, the site would have dried down & decayed by now if it had been the case just because curbing the basic natural instincts of a person and asking him to be an active part of a social forum are two banks of a river which can never meet!

Maintaining a balance is a worth following suggestion but too much of pleas on this aspect will never bear fruit.

I have seen numerous threads which keep getting off & on topic replies simultaneously and they just go on. I dont think that an off-topic or even multiple such replies can mar the spirit or de-glorify the content of the thread by any means !

Good things can never be overshadowed by the bad as is being thought of here!

Wo kehte hai na ki 'insaan ko bagule ki tarah hona chahiye - apne matlab ki cheez chun lo aur baaki chod do(without much fussing !)' Aur jiske paas itna time na ho wo kahi aur apna bahumulya samay de !

Only the personal comments in bad sense & useless threads with foolish subject matter (as is the case nowadays) must be taken care of.

Email Verification Pending
    Login to view details.
    I was about to suggest Mods to get those couple of posts between myself and Phool to be moved across to this thread. Brahm did the needful in any case. Thanks to Brahm for that.

Though I wanted to reply to Phool but seems there are another couple of opinions floating , le tme do some justice to myself by trying and taking the discussion/conversationf forward from my side.

1) Brahm's idea of reporting post is ofcourse a technical solution , but we all must agree that we come here to interact and exchange ideas/issues/solutions/problems and just leaving the thing to a button click would do no good.
    I am an avid contributor on the Hindi song thread and when Brahm ( or some one else ?) suggested to use the search facility before posting a song, I meticulously follow the advise and check each song before I post!
    We must be open to ideas and if that is not obvious , let me say that all my posts are for those people who are open to suggestions!

2) Regarding the categorisation of online forums having no sanctity , I disagree. It is just upto your ethics and beliefs , If that is the case , I would say the person concerned should not care for sanctity of anything else as well else he/she is practising double standards.
    If in your organisation , you cannot put any arbitrary comments on any meeting/discussion , why JL or for that matter any online social forum.
    If you cannot CC(copy on email) your CEO on any email originated by you ( because of the very simple reason that he/she is not the intended reader ) why do you give each reader a pain of going through the nonsensical crap? The suggestion of just scrolling down would work for me if you can go and tell your boss to click on the X(delete) sign on the email! Please do that and i would follow suit!
    I would conclude on this point by saying that dont assume JUST BECAUSE U R ON AN ONLINE FORUM!

3) If you come with a nothing going to happen mentality , there is hardly an issue , you please can follow N number of threads that do not at all ask for any constructive contribution!

4) We are all humans and prone to short term de-rails / errors but we should not proclaim to be totally oblivious for posting in the correct forums , maintaing first the sanctity of topic , then the category it falls in!
    IF you are not a fan of categorisation , please ask moderators to collate everything in one single section called JL! IF these different sections exists , lets not do annoying hybrids!

Hope all take it in constructive spirit and try and work for the needful!

Line of thot – II : Constructive

juss for the sake of argument, i say… okay this is a vry gud thread with sum very gud suggestions included frm worthy members.

so wat?

wat's going to happen?
    nuthin’!!!

if i wouldn’t hav written these post(s) wch i delayed deliberately, then this thread might wud hav gone into the archives of JL. (it may me noted tht it was only abhimanyu phaugat who picked up this concern in his post # 7)

folks, if u want to do justice to these thots then collect few more thots nd make this thread sticky. u wud appreciate tht at evry point of time at JL, u’ll hardly find 50-100 active members. after 6 months, u might find a different 50-100 ppl doing their bakar bakar. :D

after another 6 months u’ll find another set of 50-100 ppl continuing this tradition of baker baker. :D:D

to cut the matter short, every time u’ll find members thinking on these lines… with threads getting derailed, evry now nd then. the chances are tht u’ll find another member starting the same rhetoric… all in all, wat we r doing is just beatin’ arnd the bush unless we make this thread “sticky”

mods… does it makes sense to u, or wud u call this rhetoric of mine as baker baker? :D:D:D
    i appreciate the decision of making this thread "sticky". it wud b appreciated if few more genuine thots are added on this thread.
    ! ... be BOLD in what you stand for !
    !! ... i've the simplest tastes, i'm always satisfied with the best !!
    !!! ... be yourself, everyone else is already taken !!!

Quote Originally Posted by anilsinghd View Post
    I was about to suggest Mods to get those couple of posts between myself and Phool to be moved across to this thread. Brahm did the needful in any case. Thanks to Brahm for that.

Though I wanted to reply to Phool but seems there are another couple of opinions floating , le tme do some justice to myself by trying and taking the discussion/conversationf forward from my side.
    Nothing against you Anil.

I am just sick & tired of these "Janta ke Thekedaar."

They try to shower wisdom on others and claim to carry the baton for the community but have no actions to back up their claim to be the preachers of whats right whats now.

When they had the opportunity to help someone, they backed off.

So next time they open their mouth to give anyone their pearls of wisdom, I will not hold myself back.

There is no one trying to get an upper hand on anyone else. Its just an issue of whose being real and whose being a fake on this forum.

Nice point to ponder upon but will the points/posts added by all of u wud make a difference?I dont think so.
    Ppl will still write on impulse as there are those who dont even think for a microsecond that their opinion or words could be of no use or could make the situation worse.I have seen 'em posting anything and on confronting they go like "main to wohi bolta/bolti hu jo mere man mein hai...im an 'asli-jaat'...i cant be fake like others" ...?
    Now how can u change the way a person thinks(makes a post) or how can u make him think twice before posting?

yes, col

Tes conl ,
    i fully agree with your views.

Quote Originally Posted by mansi289 View Post
    Now how can u change the way a person thinks(makes a post) or how can u make him think twice before posting?
    I think I am not here to change anybody rather to know more and more about my community. How/what/why/when do they think? ( And I am happy here)

If everybody start thinking before each posting, originality of thought may suffer. Forum should not be formal but just a substitution of casual ( coffee m/c) talk.

Better understanding of each other will be better for our community.

Email Verification Pending
    Login to view details.
    No issues Phool , you have been true to yourself and I appreciate that!

==============================

There are a couple of points that I would like to say ( to everyone ):

1) I am not the kind to force the opinion on someone else , that is just unlike me! I intently listen to each and eveyone , try and appreciate that , understand and rationalise that and believe that we all must be ever evolving and learning nice new things ( thoughts and ideas and ways ) always is helpy!

I do not generalise , categorise ! I look upon each bearing that each one is unique! And for every new one with no pre-defined notions ( As I was so clear in the thread Markovish Behaviour ) , nothing in mind , starting from scratch!

2) Am also not expecting that JL can make my life better off or worse off ! Am here to learn through interaction ( and learning is from both sides , people whoi share similar views who can substantiate on my ideas and views ) and also those who are of different opiniuon for 1) they can criticise anything wrong in me and I am up for a change for good ! 2) they can make me think hard on what I believe is correct and if I again conclude that it is right then I can pursue that with even stronger belief! ). Ofcourse I will not deny opportunities to work for constructive things with people who are willing!

==========

The reason I am of the opinion of why there should be a certain degree of sanctity that I do not want to bear the pain of letting my axiom of choice go down for nothing!
    There are different sections and I do have the chocie of visiting some and not others! And I do want to keep that choice because that is there! You collapse all section and I will not have complaints at all!

But till the point these different sections , I wish that people do respect the freedom of choice of others and do not generalise in inflicting the pain which they intend for a select few !

I am just being methodical , that is just so very me ! Can't help!

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by rajivsp View Post
    If everybody start thinking before each posting, originality of thought may suffer. Forum should not be formal but just a substitution of casual ( coffee m/c) talk.
    Does the originality of thoughts dilutes/changes if they read once again what they are going to post here ? If so, then how original they are whose ideas/point of views just changes after their own reading. I hope that their originality doesn't take a U-turn after some critical comments.

I think I am not here to change anybody rather to know more and more about my community. How/what/why/when do they think?
    Better understanding of each other will be better for our community.
    For better understanding it is important that we should always be ready to listen other's point of views and ready to accept the changes around us. Changing yourself while convincing others to accept the changes according to the cirumstances and developments is the real understanding.
    It's better to be alone than in a bad company.

sometimes for somebodies not for everybody, specially for persons who are very shy and introvert. I spent years in thinking before posting my first message. Fear of criticism is always there and only a few persons are ready to face it.

Participants are very less in discussions compare to total number and I cant believe they dont have any opinion about their community. So for those who are hesitant - Please come, dont think, tell what have you in your mind.
    more open discussions by more and more members will be better for everybody. change will obvious.

bilul thik kaha aapne....more ppl should contribute and share their views.
    sometimes for somebodies not for everybody, specially for persons who are very shy and introvert. I spent years in thinking before posting my first message. Fear of criticism is always there and only a few persons are ready to face it.

Participants are very less in discussions compare to total number and I cant believe they dont have any opinion about their community. So for those who are hesitant - Please come, dont think, tell what have you in your mind.
    more open discussions by more and more members will be better for everybody. change will obvious.
    " If the loser keeps his smile........
    Then the winner will loose the thrill of the victory.......
    Attitude make the difference......"

Are we trying to cause a Paradigm shift here in JL? Or is it an extempore excercise?

No offence to anyone in the forum, the original thread/ topic started by Col Tavathia seems to have been lost. Its more of a quote and unquote happenning here.

Quote Originally Posted by malvika View Post
    Are we trying to cause a Paradigm shift here in JL? Or is it an extempore excercise?
    Quote Originally Posted by malvika View Post
    No offence to anyone in the forum, the original thread/ topic started by Col Tavathia seems to have been lost. Its more of a quote and unquote happenning here.
    please take some time to go through the thread... i'm sure it'll open all yr assumptive paradigms. the outcome of the thread has been a very productive one. the thread has concluded its objective which is being implemented and is apparently/clearly visible.

"so far so good"

can i request mods to close this thread, so as not to get entangled in unnecessary issues which are totally uncalled for.

Brahm Ji, I will not do "quote" "unquote" in reply to your post and back up my earlier comments. I will take your word that the objective has been concluded (it has been made a sticky?)
    Let me sum up what I understood from the discussion:
    Col Tawathia's Concerns:
    1) Discussion gets derailed
    2) Sanctity of Language.
    His suggestions:
    1) Respect another persons point of view
    2) Contribute constructively
    3) Better your communication and writing skills
    Suggestions from other members of the discussion:
    Self check, self discipline and Control by the Editor and his team of Moderators.
    Did I miss anything?
    It would be nice if the moderators could close and conclude the discussion when the objective has been served, so that new members like me do not make a fauz pas? Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by raj2rif View Post
    dear members,

i have been member on this site for over 5 years now, may be even more. What i have noticed is, that more often than not, the discussion gets derailed due to one odd single post. I think when the participants are as large as we are and as diverse as we are that is expected.

the problem arises, when we start calling names and pointing fingers at individuals. That causes a lot of pain to many who just read and many who become victim of it. More often than not, it is the situation when a person is prejudiced about a certain subject. There is nothing wrong in having strong ideas about a particular subject, but at the same time one must give serious consideration to other’s point of view as well. It will never happen that we all will come to one consensus on a particular subject. We think differently on various subjects based upon our exposure, and the environment that we live in. Whom we talk, what we talk also makes a lot of difference in our way of thinking.

i have also noticed, that some people will contribute to every single thread, whether or not they have some thing constructive to contribute.

that reminds me of the famous quote:

“the problem with the world is that stupid are cock sure and intelligent are full of doubts”

here is my suggestion,

try and contribute if you feel that your contribution is going to help people understand the subject matter more easily or in more in depth. Some time, i would say any contribution is good, for we don’t even know if that will help people to understand or not. It might be just a good idea to write your post on ms word, check the spellings, grammar and read it once or twice to convince yourself about the contents. Also evaluate if the post conveys the same message that you intended to convey. Another thing you may like to consider, whether or not readers will receive the exact message that you want to convey. This will help you in following way: (1) it will improve your communication skills, (2) you would not be just making a post to enhance your number of posts and would give a detailed thought to each post that you make. Some time we all make a quick post and later realize that probably that was not the best post we made.

it is an open forum. We need your views. You never know, your one post may change some one’s life for better. So please do contribute. Remember when we hurt some one, it does not really helps. Some time we win a discussion and some time we lose it. Be humble in victory and be graceful in defeat. You always learn more lessons from defeat so long you have courage to accept it and wisdom to analyze it.

the purpose is to promote creativity, promote harmony, love and respect for others, and learn from every body’s experience.

kindly post your views on suggestions.

nice suggestion sir,

please take some time to go through the thread... i'm sure it'll open all yr assumptive paradigms. the outcome of the thread has been a very productive one. the thread has concluded its objective which is being implemented and is apparently/clearly visible.

"so far so good"

can i request mods to close this thread, so as not to get entangled in unnecessary issues which are totally uncalled for.
    Quote Originally Posted by anjoo View Post
    Brahm Ji, I will not do "quote" "unquote" in reply to your post and back up my earlier comments. I will take your word that the objective has been concluded (it has been made a sticky?)
    Let me sum up what I understood from the discussion:
    Col Tawathia's Concerns:
    1) Discussion gets derailed
    2) Sanctity of Language.
    His suggestions:
    1) Respect another persons point of view
    2) Contribute constructively
    3) Better your communication and writing skills
    Suggestions from other members of the discussion:
    Self check, self discipline and Control by the Editor and his team of Moderators.
    Did I miss anything?
    It would be nice if the moderators could close and conclude the discussion when the objective has been served, so that new members like me do not make a fauz pas? Thanks
    now a person with 2% activity (level 1) nd 10 posts to his count also has something to contribute by going judgmental... though rightly so. (refer abv post).

anjoo gave a very precise nd brief conclusion... are mods listening?
    or shall i stick to my old conclusion...
    v
    v
    v

Quote Originally Posted by brahmtewatia
    to me it seems they (mods) r quite obsessed with the ruling its my way or no way
    Last edited by brahmtewatia; April 23rd, 2009 at 12:52 PM. Reason: added my old quote

What Col Tavathia has mentioned/opined/recommended/suggested needs serious consideration.

I myself had to request the moderator more than once when I found that the thread I had started had lost its way , relevance and the posts were becoming acrimonious.

Brain storming is a management exercise to find an agreed solution to a problem being faced with no clear cut solution.

The person conducting the session enunciate the problem/issue. Those taking part keep giving their opinion /view/solution there is no discussion at this stage. All statements are recorded. Once every one has had his/her say the suggestions are discussed and reduced to a few potentially more likely answering the problem..

Further discussions now take place, with the reduced number of suggestions , discarding those not found suitable,till a mutually agreed course of action is arrived at..

I do hope I still remember the sequence correctly as I dis my management course long long back.

Some young , fresh , Jatlander may like to improve upon. bls31

Reluctantly, I will put on my moderator hat and make a few comments.

Young Jat gentlemen, do need to realize that, when they participate on a public form like Jatland, they are bound by rules of etiquette- i.e. good manners.

The same kind of good manners they use at home, and what they expect to be shown in their dealings with others, of their family and loved ones.

In cases where they are interacting with ladies, the onus is on them to follow these rules of etiquette even more strictly. If they do not, they lose their moral ground for participating.

It is sometimes hard to distinguish between good natured teasing, and the stepping over a line. Yet all of us who step over the line ,know quite well when we do so.

In this thread enough signals have been sent by young ladies, of their discomfort with the tone of some of the posts. That signal should be enough for the poster(s) to cease and desist, rather than put the burden on some moderator to intervene.

If a moderator is forced to intervene, then the posters offending the ladies will be banned.

That will be a poor result, for we would like more participation not less.

Ravi Chaudhary

is it only related to the view (appearance) of jatland or has the VIEW of editors also changed with this new year?
    this is my plea. i wrote 'liar' (for right reasons n without being offensive) to someone in one of my posts and im being told by ur peer (editor:ravichaudhry) to use parliamentary words and show good manners and all. tht's a separate issue he himself has not followed the 'good manners' rule n deleted my 2 posts on the same thread without giving any reason. i've asked him the smae in post 27 http://www.jatland.com/forums/showth...l=1#post237336
    im furious 'coz thanks to some other members the REAL UNPARLIAMENTARY words (ch****a, b&%$#rd, F*&^ing) are flowing in tandem on Justice for Ruchika thread. why have gone unnoticed? see.. http://www.jatland.com/forums/showth...l=1#post237167

Quote Originally Posted by satyeshwar View Post
    Okay, I have fixed the "find all posts" issue. Will look into others as time permits.
    Last edited by singhabhimanyu; January 7th, 2010 at 01:56 PM.
    Of all the things that tax a man's patience, there's nothing to compare with a stuck zipper.