Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: A Suggestion to Members

A Suggestion to Members

Dear Members,

I have been member on this site for over 5 years now, may be even more. What I have noticed is, that more often than not, the discussion gets derailed due to one odd single post. I think when the participants are as large as we are and as diverse as we are that is expected.

The problem arises, when we start calling names and pointing fingers at individuals. That causes a lot of pain to many who just read and many who become victim of it. More often than not, it is the situation when a person is prejudiced about a certain subject. There is nothing wrong in having strong ideas about a particular subject, but at the same time one must give serious consideration to other’s point of view as well. It will never happen that we all will come to one consensus on a particular subject. We think differently on various subjects based upon our exposure, and the environment that we live in. Whom we talk, what we talk also makes a lot of difference in our way of thinking.

I have also noticed, that some people will contribute to every single thread, whether or not they have some thing constructive to contribute.

That reminds me of the famous quote:

“The problem with the world is that stupid are cock sure and intelligent are full of doubts”

Here is my suggestion,

Try and contribute if you feel that your contribution is going to help people understand the subject matter more easily or in more in depth. Some time, I would say any contribution is good, for we don’t even know if that will help people to understand or not. It might be just a good idea to write your post on MS Word, check the spellings, grammar and read it once or twice to convince yourself about the contents. Also evaluate if the post conveys the same message that you intended to convey. Another thing you may like to consider, whether or not readers will receive the exact message that you want to convey. This will help you in following way: (1) It will improve your communication skills, (2) You would not be just making a post to enhance your number of posts and would give a detailed thought to each post that you make. Some time we all make a quick post and later realize that probably that was not the best post we made.

It is an open forum. We need your views. You never know, your one post may change some one’s life for better. So please do contribute. Remember when we hurt some one, it does not really helps. Some time we win a discussion and some time we lose it. Be humble in victory and be graceful in defeat. You always learn more lessons from defeat so long you have courage to accept it and wisdom to analyze it.

The purpose is to promote creativity, promote harmony, love and respect for others, and learn from every body’s experience.

Kindly post your views on suggestions.
    Col (Retd) Virendra Tavathia

"A person should not be judged by the nature of his/her job, but the manner in which he/she does that".

2. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to raj2rif For This Useful Post:

Arveend (April 21st, 2012), Bisky (October 30th, 2011), Bsinghkhatri (September 17th, 2015), Dagar25 (October 20th, 2011), deepaknitdgp (July 18th, 2013), pawramit (October 9th, 2013), sandhyadabas (April 19th, 2015), urmiladuhan (December 18th, 2011)

Col Tavathia,
    I am new to JL. I also strongly endorse your views. Probably because of our mature age we feel like this. When a serious discussion is going on someone derailing it off track is really painful. If any member wants lighter moments he/she can go to the Mauj Masti section. All should respect the sense and seriousness of the topic being discussed.
    Promote healthy discussions. It is not that all posts get interrupted. There have been good discussions also without any absurd disruptions and one enjoys reading these posts which are enriching.
    Ranjit Dahiya.

Think Positive-Everything is Possible.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Rmandaura For This Useful Post:

Bsinghkhatri (September 17th, 2015)

Thumbs up Nice Suggestions!

Nice suggestions by Col. Tavathia Sir. Apart from agreeing on the points raised by him I also have some suggestions and would like to put forward here.

Follow ups : As Col. sir already said that some members will contribute to every single thread, whether or not they have something of substance to post. Sometimes things not end just here but few members start following some specific member's posts and starts commenting on them everywhere like anything. This practice should be avoided.

One liners : I already put forward so many times about interactive one liners. Sometimes these witty one liners seems quite a good option but not always and obviously off topic one liners should be avoided at first instance. My objective is not to oppose one line comments on the topic of discussion but is to avoid a situation where on any given thread a good discussion is going on the subject and then suddenly some people start posting like they are chatting in chaupal. Asking and replying personal queries to be precise.

Number of posts : Some people seems so sensitive about their post counts and keep posting anywhere they come across and ridiculously posts more than needed on any given thread. A single post on any given point is more than enough to substantiate the matter unless they are asked to clarify any point or being contradicted by another member.

Different Choices : I do agree with Dahiya Sir that different people have different taste and we should not expect everyone to participate in every discussion. Depending on their personal choices they should follow the respective forum instead of popping up everywhere. If people don't like the subject of ongoing discussion then they should switch to their favorite forums and should not post unnecessary and/or unwanted comments to deflect the topic of discussion.

Message : Last but not least is about the message we convey to the whole world about our community through this forum. Just think once again before you post here as the readers of these forums are not only just us but the whole world. You can easily imagine that what image of our community reflects in their minds when they read some rubbish, indecent and useless fights/arguments here.

I hope that the points raised here make some sense.
    Last edited by vijay; September 30th, 2008 at 11:41 PM.
    It's better to be alone than in a bad company.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to vijay For This Useful Post:

Bsinghkhatri (September 17th, 2015)

Fully endorse what you have suggested SIR...stupid remarks kills the very essence of the thread......ending here I m tempted to say just this much .."Hope the cock sures have understood this" ..:D:p

8. The Following User Says Thank You to nysa For This Useful Post:

narendar (October 31st, 2011)

Thumbs up very important

The issue raised by Tavathia Sir and also the points added by Vijay Sir are very important.
    I would like to put few points-
    1. Behave with intellect and not impulse.
    2. Dont give way to dislike, disrespect, hatred and ego. Focus on your goals rather than wasting your time and energy on these.
    3. Do not try to pull down or show down other people. Focus on yourself and making yourself better.
    Regards
    Navin Gulia

"कर्मंयेवाधिकरास्ते = कर्मणि एव अधिकार: ते = कर्म करनें में ही अधिकार है तुम्हारा"

10. The Following User Says Thank You to navingulia For This Useful Post:

Arveend (April 21st, 2012)

A serious topic to discuss

All points raised by Col. Tewatia are worth consideration. It is seen that good threads are hijacked or take a U-turn because of certain posts which erupt in-between. Mutual respect to each other and patience are the key principles for a public forum like this. It is not essential to participate in each and every thread unless there are valid points to discuss.

One-liner posts may sometimes be OK in TimePass or Humor but not in forums like Jat History or Social Responsibility.

I also notice that many a times, threads are not started in correct forums. For example, there are several threads on the topic of ‘reservation’ in multiple forums – General Talk, TimePass, Social Responsibility, Current Affairs – and even Jat History ! !

I feel that topics like “Maharana Pratap was Jat or not”, or “was Taj Mahal built by Jats” should be placed in General Talk forum, rather than in Jat History. Moderators may keep an eye on these types of topics and move such threads to correct forums.
    तमसो मा ज्योतिर्गमय

12. The Following User Says Thank You to dndeswal For This Useful Post:

Bisky (October 30th, 2011)

Email Verification Pending
    Login to view details.
    Dear members

Well suggested by all members far but i really want smthing to be constructive come out of this so that the issues raised by Col. Sir can be solved, otherwise this tread also endup like the other threads. SO Editor Satyeshwar have the responsibility to command his team of moderators to keep eying on unneccessary posts.
    Well I am not sure that this is possible or not but we can examine the performance or vocubalory of members by seeing how many posts they have so far since they are member, that will show the moderators that some people only come here just to write smthing wheteher its relevant or not.
    Good thread started by Col. Sir but there shuld be some solution to this.

Abhimanyu Phougat

Quote Originally Posted by raj2rif View Post
    Dear Members,

“The problem with the world is that stupid are cock sure and intelligent are full of doubts”

I wonder how come the person who first thought of this quote was so cock sure that so was the case with the stupid and the intelligent!

I strongly believe that this forum is not an extension of our day to day life. It is a means of unwinding from whatever we all do during our day. There are some threads that need serious consideration like our fellow Jats looking for jobs, guidance and suggestions or social service initiative like JJ.

Other threads are just no more than brainstorming sessions on issues where our seriousness barely matters. Theres nothing wrong about speaking our minds off on such issues.

Anyways, there are those who will take your suggestion seriously and there are others who will continue to be the way they are because they realize Jatland is not their life but is just a part of their life.

Thumbs up

Very valuable suggestion indeed Respected uncle ji !

Well, I believe leg-pulling, derailing of threads are ok with section 'Mauj Masti' but it must be strictly avoided on remaining sections !!

I doubt if any of members (excluding few worthy ones) pay attention to your this thread, even :rolleyes: so I feel Mods should take some initiative to stop all the worthless off-topic talks !!

Forced Discipline is the only way to maintain the decorum of Wonderful Jatland forum!

Rock on
    Jit

Dear Members,

I have been member on this site for over 5 years now, may be even more. What I have noticed is, that more often than not, the discussion gets derailed due to one odd single post. I think when the participants are as large as we are and as diverse as we are that is expected.

The problem arises, when we start calling names and pointing fingers at individuals. That causes a lot of pain to many who just read and many who become victim of it. More often than not, it is the situation when a person is prejudiced about a certain subject. There is nothing wrong in having strong ideas about a particular subject, but at the same time one must give serious consideration to other’s point of view as well. It will never happen that we all will come to one consensus on a particular subject. We think differently on various subjects based upon our exposure, and the environment that we live in. Whom we talk, what we talk also makes a lot of difference in our way of thinking.

I have also noticed, that some people will contribute to every single thread, whether or not they have some thing constructive to contribute.

Here is my suggestion,

Try and contribute if you feel that your contribution is going to help people understand the subject matter more easily or in more in depth. Some time, I would say any contribution is good, for we don’t even know if that will help people to understand or not. It might be just a good idea to write your post on MS Word, check the spellings, grammar and read it once or twice to convince yourself about the contents. Also evaluate if the post conveys the same message that you intended to convey. Another thing you may like to consider, whether or not readers will receive the exact message that you want to convey. This will help you in following way: (1) It will improve your communication skills, (2) You would not be just making a post to enhance your number of posts and would give a detailed thought to each post that you make. Some time we all make a quick post and later realize that probably that was not the best post we made.

It is an open forum. We need your views. You never know, your one post may change some one’s life for better. So please do contribute. Remember when we hurt some one, it does not really helps. Some time we win a discussion and some time we lose it. Be humble in victory and be graceful in defeat. You always learn more lessons from defeat so long you have courage to accept it and wisdom to analyze it.

The purpose is to promote creativity, promote harmony, love and respect for others, and learn from every body’s experience.

Kindly post your views on suggestions.
    .. " Until Lions have their historians, tales of the hunt shall always glorify the hunter! " ..

Login to view details.
    Quote Originally Posted by cooljat View Post
    Forced Discipline
    I like that concept if the authority comes from someone who is good.

I have always been with the moderators on inflicting serious pains on people who defy the decorum!

All democracy is no good!

Col. Uncle,
    You raise an excellent point. I don't know whether all of us realize that useless commenting is downright rude and reckless. That means the commenter has himself nothing better to do in life and he/she is taking other people's time also for granted.

Although, I also think that it has to be self-disciplined. Imposing checks would not really help.

Another point that I really thank you for bringing up is checking your post for grammar, flow and spellings etc. It takes exactly 2 minutes to do it. Maybe the ones who are not used to it would take a bit longer but if someone is even wee bit serious about bettering their articulation then it's the only way out.

Lastly guys, we are here to have a good time, express our opinions, stand by our ideals, learn, make friends, pick some fights (if absolutely necessary), and words are the only tool we have (apart from some smileys). So lets try to be skilled craftsmen. This will help us both in our lives and careers.

Do more, love more. And say less.
    Do more, love more

Quote Originally Posted by coolphool View Post
    Other threads are just no more than brainstorming sessions on issues where our seriousness barely matters.
    True, these are brain storming session here on JL, if there is some serious issue editorial section can be used.

Brain Storming and Seriousness

Dear Members,

Thanks a lot for your response, and I really appreciate it. There are couple of questions those need to be answered.

1. Some of the members have said that it is the brain storming place, and serious discussion should go to editorial area.
    I am little confused about it. My understanding is that "Brain Storming" on a subject itself is a serious matter. How could one do "Brain Storming" in a lighter vain. May be I am from old school, and quite possibly outdated. I am absolutely honest in my confession about my understanding on "Brain Storming" a subject.

2. By no means I have any intention to curb the creativity of members older and younger. Interestingly, historically, most innovative things have come from the younger members. We really want to promote the creativity on this site. (Well I am not the owner of the site, but I guess, that would be a fair statement to make)

3. We really don't want to dictate terms to any one here. It is an open forum, and needs to remain as such. The suggestion made by me was with the intention to keep the subject on course, and maintain the dignity of the discussion and decorum of public communication.

I hope we all have each other's support on this issue.
    Col (Retd) Virendra Tavathia

"A person should not be judged by the nature of his/her job, but the manner in which he/she does that".

20. The Following User Says Thank You to raj2rif For This Useful Post:

vksirohi (December 27th, 2011)

Some steps

I agree with Tavathia Uncle Ji,

Even I’ve seen the same pattern in last 6 years of my being member of this website. I normally don’t get time to post anything but I do read most of the threads everyday.

This issue will never arise if we follow some very simple steps.

1. Respect everyone (Elder or Younger) on this site and their point of view. If you do, these leg-pullings will never happen and we don’t even need any forced discipline.

2. Learn from our respected, elderly and senior members. See how they reply to a post. You can see that their experience speaks for itself.

3. As Tavathia uncle already said “Be humble in victory and be graceful in defeat”. I can't add anything to this line.

According to me the most important thing is, the way we keep our home clean, same way we can keep our online home clean, by following some very simple steps and by understanding our duties.
    दीपक धनखड़
    Journey (Long or short) starts with a single step.

Indeed a very nice thread. I too sometime get involved in useless one to one discussion thereby derailing the thread from the main topic of discussion. Hence I felt that I too shared a bit of responsibility in creating a kind of hatred environment around the thread. Now I realized that it was just a useless practice that makes no sense. I should have avoided. Now I will try my best to refrain from such things in future.
    “Lead me, follow me or get out of my way”

Quote Originally Posted by mukeshkumar007 View Post
    Indeed a very nice thread. I too sometime get involved in useless one to one discussion thereby derailing the thread from the main topic of discussion. Hence I felt that I too shared a bit of responsibility in creating a kind of hatred environment around the thread. Now I realized that it was just a useless practice that makes no sense. I should have avoided. Now I will try my best to refrain from such things in future.

Wiser is the man who learns from his mistakes n aviod them in future!!:rockme included aswell..:D

Glad to see the message of the thread being communicated well to all..

Mukesh it is a big thing that you have realised and you need to be congratulated for this. I hope others also follow your example.Col. sahib has started a very puposeful thread. I also thank all others who have participated in this discussion and given due respect to the topic. Nobody has tried to derail this thread and I feel now maturity and mutual respect will increase in the forum. Well done! Keep it up.
    Ranjit Dahiya.

Think Positive-Everything is Possible.

Login to view details.
    Be humble in victory and be graceful in defeat. You always learn more lessons from defeat so long you have courage to accept it and wisdom to analyze it.

Sir,

Discussions should be not to win and loose , but to learn and construct.

Learning never stops , I would request all to keep this in mind.

There is nothing called an ego , psychology does not define ego the way we percieve!

We can only be better with more knowledge and understanding , as I have said in a couple of threads before.

Dont be preoccupied , dont be too firm on what you believe , you might be wrong! Somebody else might be right! Communication is listening and talking , both very integral so be ready to listen as well!!

these followed , we will always see healthy discussions going on and even a couple of one liners in lighter veins wont be that big a mess ( though I would personally like to even filter them out)!

It is the clash of egos and then trying to blow out things to make it so big that people buy your side of story that creates all problems!!!

Line of thot – I : Destructive

I wonder how come the person who first thought of this quote was so cock sure that so was the case with the stupid and the intelligent!

I strongly believe that this forum is not an extension of our day to day life. It is a means of unwinding from whatever we all do during our day. There are some threads that need serious consideration like our fellow Jats looking for jobs, guidance and suggestions or social service initiative like JJ.

Other threads are just no more than brainstorming sessions on issues where our seriousness barely matters. Theres nothing wrong about speaking our minds off on such issues.

Anyways, there are those who will take your suggestion seriously and there are others who will continue to be the way they are because they realize Jatland is not their life but is just a part of their life.
    I believe people ought to be allowed to respond to a topic in whatever way they feel would be the best. There is no such thing as sanctity of the topic. What might seem BS to you or Col. Sahaab may not be BS to the commentator.

Besides if you feel someones BS-ing on a thread, ask me to help you locate the down arrow on your keyboard so you can scroll down the page to get something that you deem to be non-BS.

On online forums, everything is on the table. There is no such thing that violates the sanctity of a topic.
    Line of thot – I : Destructive

I found abv post(s) to b most relevant nd innovative on the current subject, the 2nd post is however picked up frm another thread... but was a continuation post addressing the same issue on other thread. जिस तरह ज़ुल्म सहने वाला भी उतना ही गुनाहगार है, जितना कि ज़ुल्म करने वाला. उसी तरह भ्रमित होने वाला भी उतना ही बड़ा गुनाहगार है, जितना कि भ्रमित करने वाला... simple rules !!! :D

i don’t know how many of you have noticed this… but there happens to b a font/button under the profile picture of an individual, wch says “report post”. if u got sum grey cells in yr. hollosphere :D then just follow this vry basic nd simple understanding >>> click this button nd report the matter to the moderators, if u think tht a particular post is off-topic. well if yr. intentions r different :p then agn it does not matter cos heavens r not going to fall… i’ve seen tht most of the times a thread still follows the expctd trajectory despite of several hijack attempts. :D

for mods: consider this suggestion, if u feel it to b pertinent enuff nd making sum sense… in my views, if a particular thread is derailed frm the subject then y not transfer the thread to “time pass” section nd let the ppl enjoy derailed activities. i don’t see any relevance in locking the thread.

vaise bhi 90% of the threads out here doesn’t have any head or tail, so wats the fuss about? take the recent example of “jatsena thread”… in my views it was totally crap/BS thread, but still it managed to draw 96 posts, 1686 views on 7 pages. i was vry much disheartened to learn tht the vry 1st thread of our respected narender sangwan ji was locked unceremoniously. i can feel the pain he must hav gone thru, when his thread was locked, cos I’ve myself gone thru this feeling. :D in my views, a btr option wud hv been to transfer this thread to “time pass” section nd let ppl do whatever they felt like.

if mods r so particular abt the sanctity of the thread, then they shud rather delete the off-topic posts, instead of locking the thread… well, as per me I don’t even justify this, unless sum1 is using foul language or talking total crap/BS.

i’m vry much angst this “hue nd cry” made every now nd then abt ppl going off-topic. i'm also strongly against few members who hav advocated autocratic/forced discipline. phool chhikara has a valid point in his abv post(s). in order to substantiate my thots a bit further, pls refer to the following posts… one of them frm our mods.
    http://www.jatland.com/forums/showpo...5&postcount=14
    http://www.jatland.com/forums/showpo...9&postcount=16

well these are my suggestions, take it or leave it… आगे आप खुद समझदार हैं.
    ! ... be BOLD in what you stand for !
    !! ... i've the simplest tastes, i'm always satisfied with the best !!
    !!! ... be yourself, everyone else is already taken !!!

Line of thot – II : Constructive

Line of thot – II : Constructive

juss for the sake of argument, i say… okay this is a vry gud thread with sum very gud suggestions included frm worthy members.

so wat?

wat's going to happen?
    nuthin’!!!

if i wouldn’t hav written these post(s) wch i delayed deliberately, then this thread might wud hav gone into the archives of JL. (it may me noted tht it was only abhimanyu phaugat who picked up this concern in his post # 7)

folks, if u want to do justice to these thots then collect few more thots nd make this thread sticky. u wud appreciate tht at evry point of time at JL, u’ll hardly find 50-100 active members. after 6 months, u might find a different 50-100 ppl doing their bakar bakar. :D

after another 6 months u’ll find another set of 50-100 ppl continuing this tradition of baker baker. :D:D

to cut the matter short, every time u’ll find members thinking on these lines… with threads getting derailed, evry now nd then. the chances are tht u’ll find another member starting the same rhetoric… all in all, wat we r doing is just beatin’ arnd the bush unless we make this thread “sticky”

mods… does it makes sense to u, or wud u call this rhetoric of mine as baker baker? :D:D:D

p.s. : destructive thots seems to be better... i'm for those thots
    ! ... be BOLD in what you stand for !
    !! ... i've the simplest tastes, i'm always satisfied with the best !!
    !!! ... be yourself, everyone else is already taken !!!

28. The Following User Says Thank You to brahmtewatia For This Useful Post:

JRBhincher (June 16th, 2012)