Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Improve your Vocabulary ++++++++

Quote Originally Posted by choudharyneelam View Post

so another two words added to my knowledge

now, for learners who stand in the same queue where I use to, to seek better vocab :D......

commensurate......in the same proportion/size/duration, etc. For eg, whenever u are asked by the interviewer...what salary you expect?.....then you can reply in many ways...out of which one reply could be like, 'The salary should be commensurative as per the job requirements/job profile.'

congregation......it is the synonym of assemble, gathering, bringing something together.....For eg, 'Students of all schools in the region congregated to attend and participate in the different competitions organised by the Sports Authority of India.'

and now if anybody find some mistake here, then please correct it immediately

now, for learners who stand in the same queue where I use to, to seek better vocab

commensurate......in the same proportion/size/duration, etc. For eg, whenever u are asked by the interviewer...what salary you expect?.....then you can reply in many ways...out of which one reply could be like, 'The salary should be commensurate as per the job requirements/job profile.'

congregation......it is a synonym of assemble, gathering, bringing something together.....For e.g, 'Students of all schools in the region congregated to attend and participate in the different competitions organized by the Sports Authority of India.'

and now if anybody find some mistake here, then please correct it immediately :rock

I'm not sure about the first line.....I think it could be better written like this....
    now, for learners who stand in the same queue where I do, to seek better vocab

So suggestions are invited further....
    All that we are is the result of what we have thought."
    ~ Buddha

Quote Originally Posted by pdpbeniwal View Post
    now, for learners who stand in the same queue where I use to, to seek better vocab

commensurate......in the same proportion/size/duration, etc. For eg, whenever u are asked by the interviewer...what salary you expect?.....then you can reply in many ways...out of which one reply could be like, 'The salary should be commensurate as per the job requirements/job profile.'

congregation......it is a synonym of assemble, gathering, bringing something together.....For e.g, 'Students of all schools in the region congregated to attend and participate in the different competitions organized by the Sports Authority of India.'

and now if anybody find some mistake here, then please correct it immediately :rock

I'm not sure about the first line.....I think it could be better written like this....
    now, for learners who stand in the same queue where I do, to seek better vocab

So suggestions are invited further....
    I USE TO...I made use of these words as most of the time I'm there....I mean in such queues

COMMENSURATIVE ....this word was used there to express the nature by which the salary amount should be decided.

Now, for vowel correction....you are right

still, further corrections/suggestions are invited

Quote Originally Posted by choudharyneelam View Post
    I USE TO...I made use of these words as most of the time I'm there....I mean in such queues

COMMENSURATIVE ....this word was used there to express the nature by which the salary amount should be decided.

Now, for vowel correction....you are right

still, further corrections/suggestions are invited
    I have not come across the word "commensurative". "Commensurate" itself is telling the nature....

You might have noticed while typing the word "commensurative", it is underlined by a red line....that means it is not a correct word....this red line may be because of differences between British and American English...but that is not a case here....

For the other case you may be right and in fact I think you are......but better let other people throw some suggestions too.
    All that we are is the result of what we have thought."
    ~ Buddha

Quote Originally Posted by pdpbeniwal View Post
    I have not come across the word "commensurative". "Commensurate" itself is telling the nature...
    You are right again, it was wrongly used by me...it can be commensurately or the one which you suggested

Thanks for the correction

Friends ... kuch input do so that we can keep this thread unlocked.
    M waiting for few new words to learn

Hello Guys,

Well one more idea to make good use of this thread. Any one among us will choose a word(say word of the day) and all others will try to form a sentence using that word. Others may correct him/her if he's wrong somewhere. This will be a game like antakshiri. I hope this way we can understand the usage of that particular word in a better way, also how differently we can use that particular word. Other good ideas are also welcome.
    So folks do not just be a viewer but also contribute something to help out ur JL freinds

Let me take the opportunity and start.

Today's word: Curb
    Curb --- To control or limit something

Sentence: I am a short tempered man so I need to put a curb on my bad temper.
    Last edited by dkumars; December 11th, 2008 at 02:42 PM.

Devender...i guess CURB is used for central reservation on roads also....check it.
    Quote Originally Posted by dkumars View Post
    Hello Guys,

Well one more idea to make good use of this thread. Any one among us will choose a word(say word of the day) and all others will try to form a sentence using that word. Others may correct him/her if he's wrong somewhere. This will be a game like antakshiri. I hope this way we can understand the usage of that particular word in a better way, also how differently we can use that particular word. Other good ideas are also welcome.
    So folks do not just be a viewer but also contribute something to help out ur JL freinds

Let me take the opportunity and start.

Today's word: Curb
    Curb --- To control or limit something

Sentence: I am a short tempered man so I need to put a curb on my bad temper.
    I AM WHAT I AM....JAT.... 16X2=8

Curb !

Yes, Sunita ji and Dev said it right.
    Copy-pasting from WordWeb :

As a Noun: Curb is,
    1. An edge between a sidewalk and a roadway consisting of a line of curbstones (usually forming part of a gutter)

2. A horse's bit with an attached chain or strap to check the horse

3. The act of restraining power or action or limiting excess (what Dev said)

As a Verb: Curb is,
    1. Lessen the intensity of; temper; hold in restraint; hold or keep within limits

2. To put down by force or authority

3. Keep to the curb. e.g.: "curb your dogs"

As a Noun again: Curb is,
    1. A stock exchange in New York. ( Now, how many of us knew that ? )

Quote Originally Posted by sunitahooda View Post
    Devender...i guess CURB is used for central reservation on roads also....check it.

Quote Originally Posted by sunitahooda View Post

You are correct Sunita Ji. Well it will be good if u can form couple of sentences in both the senses. The word was new to me so I shared it here.

Quote Originally Posted by sanjeevnandal View Post
    Yes, Sunita ji and Dev said it right.
    Copy-pasting from WordWeb :

As a Noun: Curb is,
    1. An edge between a sidewalk and a roadway consisting of a line of curbstones (usually forming part of a gutter)

2. A horse's bit with an attached chain or strap to check the horse

3. The act of restraining power or action or limiting excess (what Dev said)

As a Verb: Curb is,
    1. Lessen the intensity of; temper; hold in restraint; hold or keep within limits

2. To put down by force or authority

3. Keep to the curb. e.g.: "curb your dogs"

As a Noun again: Curb is,
    1. A stock exchange in New York. ( Now, how many of us knew that ? )
    Sanjeev, Bhai I guess u could not get my point. I meant if we can form sentences by our own. No copy pastes. And dictionaries are always a good choice but only for refrence. I hope we shall write our own sentences and correct them here. It will be kind of game and may be interesting. Dictioary references are quite boring many a times.

I shall appreciate if you write a sentence or two with the word mentioned.

Can anybody make 5 sentences with 'Corpulent' ?