Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Improve your Vocabulary ++++++++

Improve your Vocabulary ++++++++

Hello Dear Friends,

This thread is in parallel ongoing thread Angrezo ki Angrezi seekho. Learn English . This thread is solely dedicated to vocabulary only. Any kind of grammatical queries could be asked in the above mentioned thread. So, let us start improving our vocabulary. What if we post few difficult words with its meaning daily and can start sharing its usage and related things. Idioms, proverb can also be used. We shall just add 2-4 words a day and try to learn its usage and implementation. The ones who already know can correct others if they are wrong. Here, I start with a few words which i find gud...

fathom (UNDERSTAND) verb [T]
    1 to discover the meaning of something:
    Ex: For years people have been trying to fathom (out) the mysteries of the whale's song.

2 to understand someone or why someone acts as they do:
    Ex: I can't fathom her at all.

lure noun
    1 [C usually singular] the quality or power that something or someone has that makes them attractive:
    Ex: the lure of fame/power/money

2 [C] an artificial insect or other small animal which is put on the end of a fishing line to attract fish

lure verb [T]
    to persuade someone to do something or go somewhere by offering them something exciting:
    Ex: She was lured into the job by the offer of a high salary.
    Ex: He had lured his victim to a deserted house.
    EX: Supermarket chains try to lure customers with price discounts.

Others also share but not a huge list in a day. Sharing a few words daily can be remembered easily rather than mugging a big list.

ALL THE BEST

Regards,
    Dev
    Last edited by dkumars; October 31st, 2008 at 06:51 PM.

Please, write something here also and take little pain to pen down a few words and their usage. It may be of a great help to many of us. You can expain the recently learnt new words and their usage. Although, keep the number short.

Smile

These two are in my knowledge......so waiting for next post

Quote Originally Posted by choudharyneelam View Post
    These two are in my knowledge......so waiting for next post
    No madam u guys have to participate. Its a give and take game. So, give something then only u will get

Synonyms Exercise

SYNONYMS #1 .Abhorrent, abominable, detestable, execrable, loathsome, obnoxious, repellent, repugnant, odious, heinous, disgusting ##

SYNONYMS #2. Abandon, renounce, maroon, leave in the lurch, forfeit, waive, ditch, abdicate, jilt, forsake, abjure, disown, repudiate ##

SYNONYMS #3. Libel, calumny, defamation, denigration, misrepresentation, obloquy, slander, aspersion, vilification, malign, traduce, smear, besmirch, tarnish, imputation, vituperation, defile ##

All that we are is the result of what we have thought."
    ~ Buddha

Good Devendra, again a good thread.
    But cut and paste from dictionary shall not solve the purpose of the thread. it should be progressed in an interesting way so that meaning and use of that particular word is cleared. members r the students as well as teacher here. And we can take the benefit to learn something new and extra from our worthy members. I’ll also participate otherwise u ‘ll write something for me also.

WANT EVERY BODY KNOWS
    DESIRE a strong feeling that you want something
    COVET to desire something strongly, specially something which belongs to someone else
    CRAVING a strong or uncontrollable desire
    IMPULSE a sudden strong desire to do something
    KLEPTOMANIA a very strong and uncontrollable desire to steal, especially without any need or purpose, usually considered to be a type of mental illness
    MALIGNANT having a strong desire to do harm
    YEARN to desire very strongly, especially something that you cannot have or something that is very difficult to have
    CURIOSITY an eager desire to know or learn about something
    LASCIVIOUS expressing a strong desire for sexual activity
    RAPACIOUS having or showing a strong desire to take things for yourself, usually using unfair methods or force
    CUPIDITY a great desire, especially for money or possessions
    The never-ending task : Self Improvement

Thumbs up Good additions

Quote Originally Posted by pdpbeniwal View Post
    SYNONYMS #1 .Abhorrent, abominable, detestable, execrable, loathsome, obnoxious, repellent, repugnant, odious, heinous, disgusting ##

SYNONYMS #2. Abandon, renounce, maroon, leave in the lurch, forfeit, waive, ditch, abdicate, jilt, forsake, abjure, disown, repudiate ##

SYNONYMS #3. Libel, calumny, defamation, denigration, misrepresentation, obloquy, slander, aspersion, vilification, malign, traduce, smear, besmirch, tarnish, imputation, vituperation, defile ##

Now, I've to look around my all dictionaries...big or small :eek:....Only few words I use in my sentences, rest I've to consult the OXFORD/GEM.

Quote Originally Posted by dkumars View Post
    No madam u guys have to participate. Its a give and take game. So, give something then only u will get
    Why you wanna make me feel shy with my little stock of words .....I know all might be having those in their knowledge :D.....so, let be a complete learner here

Quote Originally Posted by choudharyneelam View Post
    Now, I've to look around my all dictionaries...big or small :eek:....Only few words I use in my sentences, rest I've to consult the OXFORD/GEM.
    These words carry a common meaning but they are not perfectly substitute for each other....All of them have a common type of sense in them.....To clarify each word in order to know explicitly where it can be used exploring dictionary is the only alternative feasible.....This sometimes helps remembering the words in this format....Once you get cleared about these words,it's very easy to retain them in this format....
    ~ Buddha

These words carry a common meaning but they are not perfectly substitute for each other....All of them have a common type of sense in them.....To clarify each word in order to know explicitly where it can be used exploring dictionary is the only alternative feasible.....This sometimes helps remembering the words in this format....Once you get cleared about these words,it's very easy to retain them in this format....
    Rightly said

I think i won't be able to contribute any thing in this post as i m not good in Vocabulary terms. So i will keep my eye on this thread and will learn lot from our very best JL Members.
    And a request to the members who so ever will contribute here kindly use some good examples in terms of sentences to make ur added word more worthy.
    Good Thread again DK Thanks
    Last edited by Nishantrathi82; November 3rd, 2008 at 10:48 AM.
    Plant one tree atleast
    and pls save water and electricity

Quote Originally Posted by nishantrathi82 View Post
    I think i won't be able to contribute any thing in this post as i m not good in Vocabulary terms. So i will keep my eye on this thread and will learn lot from our very best JL Members.
    And a request to the members who so ever will contribute here kindly use some good examples in terms of sentences to make ur added word more worthy.
    It's not like people contributing here have a very excellent vocabulary(at least i don't have,can't say about others)....whatever you find worthy contribution can be typed up here......Even if you are not sure about something.....Here we can have discussion which will help in clarifying things...
    ~ Buddha

Voracious, Rapacious, Ravenous are Synonyms.

voracious /adj. (formal)
    1 eating or wanting large amounts of food greedy: a voracious eater to have a voracious appetite
    2 wanting a lot of new information and knowledge avid: a voracious reader a boy with a voracious and undiscriminating appetite for facts
    voraciously adv.: Some animals feed voraciously in summer and hibernate in winter. Ever since her childhood she had read voraciously. voracity / noun [u]

rapacious / adj. (formal, disapproving) wanting more money or goods than you need or have a right to grasping
    rapaciously adv. rapacity / noun [u]: the rapacity of landowners seeking greater profit

ravenous / adj.
    1 (of a person or an animal) extremely hungry starving: What’s for lunch? I’m absolutely ravenous.
    2 [only before noun] (of hunger) very great: a ravenous appetite
    >ravenously adv.: The boy ate gratefully and ravenously. Even after the meal, she was still ravenously hungry.
    ~ Buddha

rapacious / adj. (formal, disapproving) wanting more money or goods than you need or have a right to grasping
    rapaciously adv. rapacity / noun [u]: the rapacity of landowners seeking greater profit

when i 1st came across with this word... it was in the following sentence "a goat is a rapacious feeder" here implies "greedy"
    ! ... be BOLD in what you stand for !
    !! ... i've the simplest tastes, i'm always satisfied with the best !!
    !!! ... be yourself, everyone else is already taken !!!

Quote Originally Posted by nishantrathi82 View Post

It's not like people contributing here have a very excellent vocabulary(at least i don't have,can't say about others)....whatever you find worthy contribution can be typed up here......Even if you are not sure about something.....Here we can have discussion which will help in clarifying things...
    I agree with Beniwal ..

Nishant, as i stated in one of my posts that no one is a champ/perfect. Everyone can share. May be what you know, i may not and vice versa. Its just all about sharing. In the starting of the thread i initiated with 2 words but Neelam was alredy aware of them. So, it doent mean all know those words. That may be helpful for others.
    My point here is whatever u feel is a new word to you or any doubt on usage just post it here. May be others also have similar doubt and that can be cleart by any of our worthy members.

Keep Sharing... sharing is the best way to learn fast.:rock

Groak : 1. Look or stare at long
    2. To watch someone eat, in the hope that one will be asked to share the food

Masticate : 1. Chew; to bite and grind with the teeth

Knead : 1. Make uniform

Knavish : 1. Marked by skill in deception

Knapsack : 1. A bag carried on back with strap

kleptomania : 1. An irresistible*impulse to steal in the absence of any economic motive
    But I do nothing upon Myself, and yet I am mine own executioner!!!!!

[quote=pdpbeniwal;186157]voracious, rapacious

so another two words added to my knowledge

now, for learners who stand in the same queue where I use to, to seek better vocab :D......

commensurate......in the same proportion/size/duration, etc. For eg, whenever u are asked by the interviewer...what salary you expect?.....then you can reply in many ways...out of which one reply could be like, 'The salary should be commensurative as per the job requirements/job profile.'

congregation......it is the synonym of assemble, gathering, bringing something together.....For eg, 'Students of all schools in the region congregated to attend and participate in the different competitions organised by the Sports Authority of India.'

and now if anybody find some mistake here, then please correct it immediately

Quote Originally Posted by shobhitdeshwal View Post
    Knead : 1. Make uniform
    Very well known to each and every lady, only if she loves kitchen :D

anyways, all other words are with simple meaning, easy enough to memorise

Many were new to me.
    Thanks to all of you.

Quote Originally Posted by shobhitdeshwal View Post
    Knapsack : 1. A bag carried on back with strap
    ... a knapsack sprayer, held at the back to spray insecticides.
    e.g. removing चैंपा from सरसों fields. :D
    ! ... be BOLD in what you stand for !
    !! ... i've the simplest tastes, i'm always satisfied with the best !!
    !!! ... be yourself, everyone else is already taken !!!