Page 3 of 18 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 13 ... LastLast

Thread: Higher Education in Canada and USA

Hello guys....

I see a lot of people talking about studying in US or Canada...I think u guys should also look for options outside us...may b europe...I am doing my PhD from a leading R&D Center in belgium...Places like belgium offer a lot of opputnuties if you are interested in good research career...I did my grad from IIT delhi in Elec Engg..inspite of havin few offers from US i opted for belgium...If u wanna go to us make sure that u land up in some good univ like MIT, StanF, Berkeley, Caltech, UIUC, Irvine...otherwise its no use doin it frm a B grad school in US.....even for guys interested in MBA...europe offers some exciting oppurtunites...specially germany..check out...

http://newdelhi.daad.de

I really like the efforts of ppl like Dr. singh in the wider interest of JAT community...its definitely a gr8 effort...any JAT bhai interested in knowing more abt studying in europe..pls email me at...bamal@india.com

Ram Ram,
    What goes around comes around!!

Dear Krisnaveer,

I wish you had communicated with me earlier, but I am sure you have taken right steps to go to a good graduate program in USA. As you know IITs always had good reputation (I am IITB 1965 batch), but at present due to the CBS 60 Minutes show everyone wants IIT students. I know IIT students with GPA as low as 7.0 out of 10 and getting 4.0 out of 4.0 here.

Let me know any help you need from my side. It is a great pleasure to know about so many bright Jat boys and girls on this site. Going from a village to IIT Bombay in 1960 (it was 5 years after Higher Secondary then) I missed company of people with complete rural background like me.

Good luck.

Birbal Singh

Mandeep,

You are right about opportunities of higher education in many countries. I know of my Canadian friends going to European countries with NATO scholarship and having opportunity of a first rate education. However, the most important advantage we have in USA and Canada is the language. Now it is well recognized that Indians have great communication skills when it comes to written communication. Also, by now we have a large community for social interaction here. Though it was pretty tough almost 35 years ago when I came. Now, we can get all Indian groceries, can go to a variety of Indian restaurants and have good company.

I would agree with you that one should try to go to the best possible place. So first choice is top North American Schools and then better to go to first rate European schools rather than American B schools.

At the same time I would say that if someone is not interested in a Ph.D. and just wants to find a good job after a M.S., there is not much difference where you went to school. It is better to be the top student at Wyoming than bottom student at MIT.

You have made a good choice in Belgium and I hope others learn from you and apply to both American and European schools and choose the best available school.

Good luck.

Birbal Singh

4. The Following User Says Thank You to birbal For This Useful Post:

kapildhaka (January 12th, 2011)

Dr. Birbal Singh (Nov 14, 2002 10:31 a.m.):
    I would welcome inquiries from jat students who want to come to North America for higher studies. I have a thorough knowledge of the universities in both Canada and USA. Depending on the credentials of a candidate I can suggest which universities are best suited for him/her. I can be of help for M.S. and Ph.D. in Engineering and Business as well as MBA.

Birbal Singh
    Professor of Mechanical Engineering
    Lakehead University
    Thunder Bay, Canada
    Dear Sir ,
    Can you provide me help regarding research project(Phd) in Neural network,artificial Intelligence,Advanced Object-oriented database research project in universities of US/CANADA/AUSTRALIA?I am highly interested in doing Phd in computer science based on space projects.What is the procedure for research project and which one are the universities?
    I have done MCA and doing job for last three years.

I am a little bit confused regarding the research materials.Where will I get the text materials for research which no body had done yet in computer science?Any managzine or web site where I'll get the related material?

Actually one of my friend told me that for research project(Phd) you have to find out the topic on which you are doing Phd and then to write that research project in 500 to 1000 words.After that you have to send that to all universities for Phd.I want any project on space.

I hope that I'll do some great for our jat community & for our country like Kalpana Chawla done.

Also scholarship also depends on the project text materials.

Can anybody tell me how I should write the project thesis for phd and where I'll get that materials?

May be there will be few jat members who had done Phd from US/CANADA or Australia?

My personal mail-id is bdahiya@yahoo.com or dahbal@hotmail.com.

Thanks in advance.

Regards,
    Balraj Dahiya

http://usapply.tripod.com/

This site can be read to have an idea about how the whole thing works. Toughest part is making right selection in which you have to valuate and match your credentials with the Universities. Talking to lot's of people who have been there helps.

ADD: Do a google yourself and you get all the information required (formal and informal).
    _(~)_

Dear Balraj,

Your desire to pursue a Ph.D. is commendable and I am sure you will accomplish it soon. The best strategy I can suggest is that you email me your biodata including all details of your courses and marks. As Anuj wrote, it is important to match one's credentials to a university, and I can assist you in doing just that.

In the meantime you prepare for and write GRE. The material for preparing for GRE is easily available in India. It is very important for non-IIT students to do well on GRE. Further, I would strongly recommend writing Advanced GRE as many unversities insist on it for Ph.D. admission. You will also need to write TOEFL, but that is really trivial. I have not known any Indian student doing poorly on TOEFL.

The usual time frame for completing applications is January-February, so you have lot to do in the next 3-4 months. Of course, you will need at least 3 good reference letters, but I feel you will not have any problems in that area.

I have a reliable lab technologist who can do internet search for professors who have research grants in the area of your interest. In Canada, the professors get grants from NSERC (Natural Sciences and Engineering Research Council of Canada) and in the USA from NSF (National Science Foundation) and several other funding agencies.

Finally, I appreciate your desire to do Ph.D., but some universities may want you to do M.S. before you are admitted to Ph.D., and it may not be a bad idea, because if you do very well, they will just convert your status to a Ph.D. student after the first year.

Good luck.

Birbal Singh

Dr. Birbal Singh (Oct 10, 2003 07:38 a.m.):
    Dear Balraj,

Your desire to pursue a Ph.D. is commendable and I am sure you will accomplish it soon. The best strategy I can suggest is that you email me your biodata including all details of your courses and marks. As Anuj wrote, it is important to match one's credentials to a university, and I can assist you in doing just that.

In the meantime you prepare for and write GRE. The material for preparing for GRE is easily available in India. It is very important for non-IIT students to do well on GRE. Further, I would strongly recommend writing Advanced GRE as many unversities insist on it for Ph.D. admission. You will also need to write TOEFL, but that is really trivial. I have not known any Indian student doing poorly on TOEFL.

The usual time frame for completing applications is January-February, so you have lot to do in the next 3-4 months. Of course, you will need at least 3 good reference letters, but I feel you will not have any problems in that area.

I have a reliable lab technologist who can do internet search for professors who have research grants in the area of your interest. In Canada, the professors get grants from NSERC (Natural Sciences and Engineering Research Council of Canada) and in the USA from NSF (National Science Foundation) and several other funding agencies.

Finally, I appreciate your desire to do Ph.D., but some universities may want you to do M.S. before you are admitted to Ph.D., and it may not be a bad idea, because if you do very well, they will just convert your status to a Ph.D. student after the first year.

Good luck.

Birbal Singh

Dear Sir,

Thanks a lot for information and nice appreciations.I'll send you my resume tomorrow after complete every thing.

But someone told me that there is no need of GRE for the Canadian/Australia Universities.They only asked for IELTS test for admission.Is it true ? But I don't have any idea about it.

Again thanks for lots of informations.

Regards,
    Balraj Dahiya

Balraj,

It is true that some universities do not insist on GRE, but a good GRE score always helps. It is even more important for students who are not from IITs to enhance their credentials.

There is no risk in writing both general and advanced GRE as you decide to choose places to apply after knowing how well you have done.

Good luck.

Birbal Singh

Dr. Birbal Singh (Oct 10, 2003 08:50 a.m.):
    Balraj,

It is true that some universities do not insist on GRE, but a good GRE score always helps. It is even more important for students who are not from IITs to enhance their credentials.

There is no risk in writing both general and advanced GRE as you decide to choose places to apply after knowing how well you have done.

Good luck.

Birbal Singh
    Dear Sir,

Good Morning!!

Thanks for your lots of effort atleast to help many JAT students who are willing to study abroad.
    I am MCA(master of Computer Science & Application). , 67% marks , from Guru Jambeshwar University Hisar,Haryana. I completed my MCA in 2000 and I have been working with a well known us based mnc in New Delhi as a software engineer since last 3 years.
    Before that I have done B.Sc(Phy,chem,Math) from Hindu College Sonepat,Haryana with 67% marks under MD University Rohtak in 1997.

I have around 3 years experiance in the field of UNIX & Linux operating system(Development and Testing of operating System)

I am seriously looking for an option to persue my higher studies in US/CANADA. But now a days I am also thinking about PR to Australia or Canada.

Sir , please do advice me in this direction.Although I have a good job in my hand but I always dream to study abroad. I would appreciate if you guide me from where I can get financial assistance and How mush It will cost me. But it is very costly to persue studies there.

Sir, You are into this education line , so sir , i am sure you are the best guide to me in this regard. It would be so niceof you if you can help me in persuing my higher studies in US.

So sir please guide me ,Will my work experiance help me in getting into a good univeristy with financial assistance.

Please do communicate to me : any further information do you need to give me more accurate guidance, please let me know.

I am sorry because due to some time problem I have made the modification of Mr. Nehra's mail.

Thanks & Regards
    Balraj Dahiya

Dr. Birbal Singh (Oct 10, 2003 08:50 a.m.):
    Balraj,

Good luck.

Birbal Singh

Dear Sir,

Again thanks of helping me.
    Sir,problem is not of GRE but problem is that I am doing job and not getting time for GRE prep.Without good prep. we couldn't get good scores.For GRE I have to leave my job but that is not possible because I don't belongs to a rich family.

Please suggest me what I'll do in such a situation.

Regards,
    Balraj Dahiya

Dear Balraj,

Looking at your credentials and taking into account you desire for higher studies, I suggest you apply for immigration to Canada. Effective Sept 8, 2003 the requirement for immigration to Canada has been reduced to 67 marks instead of the previous 75. You automatically qualify for immigration.

Once you are accepted as an immigrant you will have no difficulty in fulfilling your desire to enhance your qualifications.

These rules may change agai so I suggest you waste no time in applying for immigration.

Good luck.

Birbal Singh

Dr. Birbal Singh (Oct 11, 2003 10:13 a.m.):
    Dear Balraj,

Looking at your credentials and taking into account you desire for higher studies, I suggest you apply for immigration to Canada. Effective Sept 8, 2003 the requirement for immigration to Canada has been reduced to 67 marks instead of the previous 75. You automatically qualify for immigration.

Once you are accepted as an immigrant you will have no difficulty in fulfilling your desire to enhance your qualifications.

These rules may change agai so I suggest you waste no time in applying for immigration.

Good luck.

Birbal Singh
    Dear Sir,

Thanks for information.Can you provide me informations about the documents required for Canada Immigration?

Is IELTS test is must for Canada Immigration?
    Is the 10th certificate is enough for proof of date of birth? Because I don't have any birth certificate from hospital.
    What about medical certificates? Where will I get contact for this?

I wanna know all details before applying for canada immigration.

Thanks & Regards,
    Balraj Dahiya

Dear Balraj,

IELTS will be required but that is just before the interview which may take one and half to two years as there is a big waiting list in New Delhi office of the Canadian High Commission.

The 10th grade certificate is recognized as official birth certificate. Most of us do not have a birth certificate.

To get the complete information and to make sure yourself go to the Canadian Government website http://www.gc.ca and click English, then click the section for Non-Canadians and you will find all the details and a self assessment which you can take to make sure that you meet the qualifications.

I think the current fee (for application in New Delhi) is around Rs. 30,000, which is not much the rights and entitlements for Canadian immigrants are one of the best in the world.

Good luck.

Birbal Singh

Dr. Birbal Singh (Oct 11, 2003 04:31 p.m.):
    Dear Balraj,

IELTS will be required but that is just before the interview which may take one and half to two years as there is a big waiting list in New Delhi office of the Canadian High Commission.

The 10th grade certificate is recognized as official birth certificate. Most of us do not have a birth certificate.

To get the complete information and to make sure yourself go to the Canadian Government website http://www.gc.ca and click English, then click the section for Non-Canadians and you will find all the details and a self assessment which you can take to make sure that you meet the qualifications.

I think the current fee (for application in New Delhi) is around Rs. 30,000, which is not much the rights and entitlements for Canadian immigrants are one of the best in the world.

Good luck.

Birbal Singh
    Dear Sir,

Thanks a lot.

Can you tell me one more thing for how many years IELTS score is valid or recognised after clearing once?

Where from I'll download the application form and to whom I'll contact for checking my application form after complete filling?

Actually I want to proceed carefully so that I'll not loose this chance.

Thanks & Regards,
    Balraj Dahiya

Balraj,

If you go on to the Canadian government website Http://www.gc.ca/ and click English, and then Click sevices for non-Canadians, click English again and then click on immigrating, on the left hand frame of the page click on Embassies and Consulates and find all the details from New Delhi site of the Canadian Consulate. It is fairly straightforward.

Good luck.

Birbal Singh

Dear Sir,

Thanks a lot.

I am a little bit confused regarding the case of skilled worker they have written something like in NOC elligble skilled workers
    Computer Engineer(Except Software Engineer)
    but my designation is also software engineer in my company.When I'll get the experience certificate my boss will write in my experience letter worked as a "software engineer".
    May be it'll create me problem in my immigration to Canada?

What should I enter in the location in "Where do you intend to live in Canada?

1 City/Town :

2. Province :

which one is suitable place in Canada for indian in point of view of jobs as well as livings?

Sir,kindly suggest me what will I do?

Thanks & Regards,
    Balraj Dahiya

Dr. Birbal Singh (Oct 12, 2003 07:59 a.m.):
    Balraj,

If you go on to the Canadian government website Http://www.gc.ca/ and click English, and then Click sevices for non-Canadians, click English again and then click on immigrating, on the left hand frame of the page click on Embassies and Consulates and find all the details from New Delhi site of the Canadian Consulate. It is fairly straightforward.

Good luck.

Birbal Singh

Balraj,

Software Engineers are also in demand. They have a different code number which you find under letter "s".

For the location of your choice you can list any place but add that you are flexible. Most immigrants come to Toronto but you will have better chance of getting immigration if you say you are willing to go where my skills are needed.

Good luck.

Birbal Singh

Dear Sir,

Thank you.

I don't know about the demands of skill.I think they haven't mention anywhere on immigration about demands of particular skills in particluar location.
    But I'll search it over internet.

Thanks & Regards,
    Balraj Dahiya

Dr. Birbal Singh (Oct 13, 2003 07:37 a.m.):
    Balraj,

Software Engineers are also in demand. They have a different code number which you find under letter "s".

For the location of your choice you can list any place but add that you are flexible. Most immigrants come to Toronto but you will have better chance of getting immigration if you say you are willing to go where my skills are needed.

Good luck.

Birbal Singh

Dear Sir,

Can you tell me individually how I am qualifying 67 points? I am a little bit confused on the way they have given marks.They have given 0 marks in case of age in master degree and 10 in case of bachlor degree.
    Please clarify me.

Thanks & Regards,
    Balraj Dahiya
    Dr. Birbal Singh (Oct 11, 2003 10:13 a.m.):
    Dear Balraj,

Good luck.

Birbal Singh

Balraj,

You click on the self assessment (take the test) and find for yourself that you meet the requirement.

All applicants between the age of 21 and 49 years get 10 marks for the age; you get at least 22 marks for a Bachelor's degree (25 for those with Bachelor's and Master's); 21 marks for 4 years' experience (19 for 3 years, 17 for 2 years), 16 for fluency in English (additional marks for even the minimum knowledge of French; just take one course in French). So, it is very easy to total up to 67 even for those who have no family member in Canada (5 marks), and those who are single ( up to 5 marks for an educated spouse).

Good luck.

Birbal Singh