can i get side by side job also as my parents cannot pay much

thanks and regards
    naresh
    #H.No: 77, First Floor, Ber Sarai, Hauz Khas
    New Delhi 110016
    Mobile:+91-9818409557
    E-mail:nar_kiran@rediffmail.com
    Objective:

To make a professional growth oriented carrier in the field of information technology with an organization where I can utilize my knowledge and professional experience in line with organizational objectives.

Work Experience: 1 Years & 3 months
    Bharti Cellular Ltd. (AIRTEL)

Resident Engineer New Delhi, India
    09/2002 - till date
    A telecommunication company provides mobile services to all the clients and has offices in India, and Abroad. The company has 800 nodes, 100 Mbps switched (Cisco) and structured network, leased lines with ISDN backup, Windows 2000 Domain Infrastructure, Domino mail server, Microsoft ISA and Trend Micro AntiVirus.

Responsibilities
    Design, Implementation & tuning in LAN, LAN Internetworking.

Installing the required software’s in LAN, configuring and fine tuning them.

Training Customers on Windows/office suits, Internet, Email & its applications.

Installation and Troubleshooting of all range of PCs of IBM, Compaq
    Configuring CD-ROM, Printers, Scanners.
    Installation & Troubleshooting Modems for Internet
    Creation of instruction manuals to facilitate configuration & installation of standard software suit.
    Coordination with vendors & other service providers
    Documentation.
    Can Configure ,Install & Troubleshoot OS Win 9x,Win2000,Xp. Also DHCP, File & Print server
    Managing Windows 2000 Domain Active Diresctory,Group Policu,DHCP,and DNS,Terminal services

Certifications : CCNA in 2003(Sept)

Professional Qualification:

TECHANICAL SANT LONGOWAL INSTITUTE OF ENGG. AND TECHNOLOGY (S.L.I.E.T) established and funded by the Govt. of India and is under the direct control of Ministry of Human Resources and Development ACADMIC Qualification and Board Year School/Institute Aggregate
    BE P.T.U, Punjab 1999- 2002 SLIET, Sangrur 70.8%
    Diploma Board of Technical Examinations Karnataka 1995-1998 B.S.F institute of Technology Bangalore 71.3%
    10+2 March 1995 B.S.F School Jammu 62%
    Matric March 1993 B.S.F School Jammu 72%

Snap-Shot
    Operating Systems : Windows 9X/Xp/2K Prof.
    Windows 2000 servers,
    Redhat Linux 7.x
    Protocols & Concepts : TCP/IP, HTTP, FTP, SMTP, DHCP,
    DNS, and WINS
    Email Client : Lotus Client ,MS Outlook 2000
    Web & Proxy Services : Microsoft ISA, Linux Appache,
    Security : Trend Antivires

Personal:
    Nationality : Indian
    Date of Birth : 18-12-1976
    Marital Status : Unmarried
    Driving License No : 1088/MVD/R-02

References: On Demand.

Naresh,

From your cv I can see that you are a hard working, determined young man and have a good future. However, under the present economic climate it is not worth taking risk of coming to USA/Canada and hope of finding side job. Usually it works but if you do not have financial backing, the risk is too high.

I suggest you keep working hard and keep looking for opportunities. This website is a good source of networking. Get in touch with me towards the end of this year and if things improve I will suggest some places where there may be some chance for the Sept 2005 session.

I can fully understand your situation as I was in the same boat 40 years ago studying at IIT Bombay and having no money to even apply to some places. I did not give up and everything worked out in the long run and I am sure it will work out for you.

Good luck.

Birbal Singh

Email Verification Pending
    Login to view details.
    Hi Sir,

I too wish to upgrade my qualification, I have done B.Sc (Comp. Sc) , M.Sc (Comp. Sc) & Three years Master Diploma in S/W engg and if every thing goes fine, I shall be in Kansas next month on my company's project initially for one year.

Please guide me , can I pursue MS or MBA from Kansas on part time basis and what is the procedure for that.

Regards,

Ajay,

I assume you will be on H1 visa which can be renewed after one year. In such situation it is best to put most of your energy in improved job performance and apply for Canadian Immigration immediately. If your H1 visa is renewed then before its end you can get immigrant status in Canada and you have lot more flexibility. Of course, you may think of part time MBA but it will take away from your performance on job which is not desirable at this stage. Once you build a good track record on your job you can think of alternatives.

Birbal Singh

Login to view details.
    Hello Sir,
    This is Aman from HR. i passed my B.A.(Maths,Geography) from K.U.Kurukshetra with 55% in 1997. Right now my final yr. M.C.A.(U.P. Tech. Lucknow) going on ,which hopefully i m gonna to pass in this june with 65% marks. well i m gonna to give the GRE in this may. I WANNA TO KNOW I HAVE TO GO FOR M.S.(COMP.) OR FOR P.H.D. ? & for that how much i have to score in GRE resp.?

Aman,

Direct admission to a Ph.D. program is highly unlikely in your case. So, you have to apply for MS for which admission is not such a big problem as interest in computer science is declining in USA because of too much news about outsourcing. I do not think GRE should pose any problem for you as all Indian students I have known have done very well in the quantitative part which is the important part for science and engineering.

Good luck and let me know any other info you want.If you can afford it is not a bad idea to come for MS in January 2005 semester ( most admissions in January session are without financial aid) and work hard to get some assistantship by Sept session.

Birbal Singh

Login to view details.
    Hello Sir,

This is Aman. I completed my B.A(maths & geography) frm K.U.Kurukshetra in 1997 with 55% marks. Right now this is final yr M.C.A. going on from U.P.Tech.Lucknow.Which i m gonna to complete in cuming june, hopefully with 65% marks. I m gonna to give my GRE in cuming may. I wanna to know i should go for M.S.(comp) or i m elligible for PHD. also? Which is good for me?

Login to view details.
    Hello Sir,

This is Aman. I completed my B.A(maths & geography) frm K.U.Kurukshetra in 1997 with 55% marks. Right now this is final yr M.C.A. going on from U.P.Tech.Lucknow.Which i m gonna to complete in cuming june, hopefully with 65% marks. I m gonna to give my GRE in cuming may. I wanna to know i should go for M.S.(comp) or i m elligible for PHD. also? Which is good for me?

Dear sir,
    iam sure you must be innundated by emails by now. here is another one.
    iam an architect, working as a project manager in an interior desing and contracting firm in Bahrain. i have 12 years experience. now i feel i have to enhance my qualificaiton to do some specialized course in project management preferably in interior contracting or construction in general. i have surfed the net and found a PM certificate course from colorado state univ. for US$ 1650. my queries..
    1) does this sound like a good idea ? is this certificate course of any value in Canada ?
    2) is it worth the money ?
    3) is there any course which you would recommend. which would be closer to my specialization.
    thanks for your offer of guidance.
    regards,
    Arjun.

Arjun,

I replied to your private email.

Birbal Singh

Dear Dr. Balbir singh
    I am a graduate student in biochemistry at University of Maryland college Park.
    I am planning to apply for jobs starting from this year end as well as for the business schools for fall 2005.My only problem for MBA will be that I won't be able to fund my education if I don't get funding from the school.
    I was wondering if you could suggest me something.
    Thank you
    Ishwar

Email: chhikara@mail.umd.edu

Ishwar,

Biochemistry is good field and with the aging population in the western world it is only going to get better. But, usually an M.S. in biochemistry is not enough and a Ph.D. is needed to have a decent career. However, Ph.D. is always funded and U of Maryland is a good school and if you are doing MS it is better to go for Ph.D., and if you are completing Ph.D. it is better to look for jobs. I do not see a great benefit of MBA (especially, since you have to pay for it) unless you ended up in biochemistry somehow and do not really like it.

The problem with MBA is that the variation in quality of MBA across North America is so great that the degree can be a ticket to success if you are a good student from a top school to not of much value if you are so so student from an ordinary school.

I hope it helps. Feel free to contact me as you need.

Birbal Singh

Login to view details.
    Hey Aman,
    I just thought of giving u my piece of advise, although the question was not directed to me. But just thought of sharing Dr. Birbal Singh's load of answering the question , a noble thought I hope ...I am a PhD student at Purdue University, Indiana in NanoTech. I have been here for almost two yrs now, n went through the same process. A good GRE score is a must. A good SOP ( statement of pourpose) is the second most imp. thing. The latest trend is that universities are more interested in taking students for PhD (than MS), as the no. of PhD pass outs effects their rankings. Then its also easier to get funding for PhD than for MS. You might want to contact ppl in the univerities (in which u r interested) n ask them to help u, as trends differ from univ. to univ. ...hope I was of some help.
    Babita

Hottest Careers of the future

http://economictimes.indiatimes.com/articleshow/693425.cms?headline=Revealed:~hottest~careers~of~t he~future

Login to view details.
    Hi Sir,

I am working with GE - India, and now-a-days tranferred to GE ERC ( Overland Park , Kansas) for next 12 months.

I have done B.Sc (Computer Science) & M.Sc (computer Science) - 76 % from India . Also, have done three yrs Masters Diploma in Software Engg. from Aptech.

Now, I want to pursue some course in US which I can complete in 12 months and can enhance my qualification and can help me in my career .

Requires your valuable comments on it.

Regards,

Ajay

Ajay,

Some time ago you had sought my advice but had not mentioned the name of the company. Now, after knowing that you work for GE, I can say congratulations. It is certainly one of the best company to work in the world. My advice to you is to maintain superior work performance and GE will take care of you.

Academic qualifications are only one of the tools to get some doors to open for you, but it is not a substitute for proven track record at work. I suggest you make best efforts to utilize in house trainig/seminars offered by your company.

In an earlier reply I had suggested you apply for Canadian immigration. But, now that I know you work for GE I do not think there is need for that. I know a lot about GE because one of my best friends from IIT days worked for GE before he retired and because of him I have been a stockholder of GE for many years (and it has produced great returns in the long term even though the stock is down a lot from the peak in 2000).

So, my suggestion is to do your best at work, do any academic upgrading through GE and enjoy your stay in USA. However, someday if you really feel like changing your career, it is better to do MBA full time from a reputed school and with GE work experience behind you it may not be difficult.

Good luck.

Birbal Singh

Login to view details.
    Thanks Sir for your suggestion.

Seek suggestion for my brother also.

My younger brother doing MCA final yr from India. I want him to pursue higher studies in US, can he get admission in MBA or MS (Computers). If possible in Overland Park, KS.

Please suggest.

Regards,

Ajay

Ajay,

Overland Park is a suburb of Kansas City (a large city partly on Kansas side and partly on Missouri side). This general area called the Midwest has fairly low cost of living and if you want your brother to get higher education at a low cost and at the same time you have company of each other, then I would say it is a good idea for him to take admission to M.S. in Computer Science program at the University of Missouri - Kansas city (www.umkc.edu). Further, if you perform well and keep your boss happy, your brother may find a good summer job (almost all American/Canadian companies hire summer students, and it is the way most local students finance their education as parents generally do not pay for their children's education over here).

I think it is too late for the Sept. 2004 session now (but you can still try) but Jan. 2005 should not be a problem. Also, the weather in Kansas City is not too cold (at least from my viewpoint as the temperature drops to -40 C in the winter where I am).

Also, as I may have posted earlier, once you exclude the top tier schools like MIT, Stanford, Carnegie Mellon, etc. the quality of education is fairly decent at the State university campuses and one should not worry that UMKC is not among the top tier. Also, job prospects in the midwest are good as the younger people want to move to larger cities on both coasts.

Feel free to contact me any time you need.

Good luck.

Birbal Singh

Dear Ajay,

I am just adding to what Dr. Birbal Singh ji has said. There is a small town, Lawrence, near to Kansas City, which has University of Kansas (http://www.ku.edu/). Lawrence is about 35-40 miles from Kansas City and is more like as University town.

Thanks.