Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Should we help beggers?

A Glimpse of Shining India

It is said in ancient times that beggary is curse but now it has become a reputation to emulate this cowardly act publicly, due to lack of intimidating factor combined with inept governence in india.One must have come across enormous numbers of alm-seekers at red light crossings in delhi knocking and scratching yours car's precious Sain-Gobain glasses.Its very embarassing when one dreams of India attaining Superpower status on one side and concealing its debilitated image on other.Gone were the days when people perceived this as a stigma in our society.Now its a trend to easy earnings and its only us who are culprits for this aggravating situation by easily pennying them along with incompetent and impotent leaders.We as a group should do rigorous efforts and actions to rehabilitate these and pledge not to provocate this shameful act.

agar aap dhyaan se dekhe jo maine likhaa hai to paayengi ki maine to Naari-Shakti ka bakhaan kiya hai,,,,,,,,

Mere hisaab se bheekh dena koyi buri baat nahi hai,,,,rather we should not call it bheekh,,,,,,its just helping the deprived section of our society,,,,,,aur vo ham bhi ho sakte the agar kisi ne hamein sahi waqt par bheekh nahi di hoti,,,,,

ek Bheekhaari,

Sachin Balyan

Quote Originally Posted by sunitahooda View Post
    Basant Ji, Narwal Ji, Sachin Ji,

I'm doing my bit for this social cause and Requesting others to help the needy as per your earning and whatever one can afford. But CHOOSE THAT NEEDY PERSON WISELY

In this thread I have found only your post having some value which can inspire people,

Quote Originally Posted by Rmandaura View Post
    A few days back I met a person who has put the donations received in his temple to good use. This man after taking retirement from his family business set aside 3 acres of land for charitable purposes and built a Temple.

After sometime he observed many children will turn up again and again at the time of distribution of Prasad. Most of such poor children, in their childhood have nothing to aspire except wander aimlessly, remain illiterate and fall into bad company. Appalled at the sight of such children, wandering around their complex he thought of educating such children alongwith some incentive to motivate them to come to study.

He started a school for their free education with breakfast, mid-day meals, uniforms, study material and healthcare. He motivated their families also which bore fruits and the school now has 480 such children. Even their parents are being supported with vocational training, social awareness and Life Insurance covers.

If all temples getting lots of donations start such activities instead of making golden chairs and costly ornaments for their deities, so many needy people can get help and number of beggars will reduce.

aacha sachin to tumhaare kahane ka matlab hai ki baaki ki 82 post sirf points ke liyye likkhi gyi........chalo ek ye bhi acchi inspiration hai.I hope we all should be inspired and write only worthy posts here.
    Quote Originally Posted by sachinb View Post
    In this thread I have found only your post having some value which can inspire people,
    " If the loser keeps his smile........
    Then the winner will loose the thrill of the victory.......
    Attitude make the difference......"

haanji mere kahne ka yahi matlab thaa,,,,agar aapko yahi matlab pasand hai to,,,,,,,,,I wish you could differentiate among the posts which others have written and the one written by Dahiya Uncle

ab 85 ho gayi hain,,,,,,,,,,,

mera to seedha saa ek hi kahna hai ki ham sabh bheekhari hain,,,,alag alag rup mein aur jo taakatwar bheekhari hain unhone apni taakat ke bal par kamjor, asaahay varg ko bheekhari ka Label de diyaa hai:rock

Quote Originally Posted by ritu View Post
    aacha sachin to tumhaare kahane ka matlab hai ki baaki ki 82 post sirf points ke liyye likkhi gyi........chalo ek ye bhi acchi inspiration hai.I hope we all should be inspired and write only worthy posts here.

Quote Originally Posted by deepika View Post
    As mentioned in mythology the characters like Karan(who is also known as Daanveer Karan)donated his "kundal kavach" to a sadhu(Lord Krishna) and Raja Bali who gave everything to Vaman(Lord Vishnu).This is what used to happen in ancient time when bhiksu(begger)was never refused,that's the reason Ravan managed to kidnap Sita disguising himself as a brahman mendicant.
    But now things have changed beggers have changed and so are donars.In old times when a person made donations he thought it to be his duty but nowadays if a person is helping a needy person he thinks that he is doing something out of the world.Now most of us,everytime we help a needy,think that we are encouraging begging.But is it true always?We all come across beggers so many times so we keep wondering is he/she really in need!I am sure sometimes we are cheated also.Like when i was in Jaipur two ladies came to me.One of them was pregnant and another asked me for money telling me that the former had labour pains i gave money and they left,within a few minutes one person standing on a distance shouted"She was a liar.She cheats people everyday".So such incidents made me ponder,should i or shouldn't i help if one asks for?
    A few days back i was heading towards my workplace when a lady approached me with her daughter(who was 6-7 years old).The moment i looked at that cute chubby little girl with small eyes she reminded me of my niece who is of same age.Before i could get out of my world of sweet memories one voice interrupted "Could you please help me" i realized it was that lady.She looked like some chinese lady.I replied"How can i help you?"
    She said" My husband is working in Vietnam and my younger daughter is in hospital.I need 60 ringitts to buy medicine for her and i dont have money rightnow".Generally i carry only 50 ringitts with me as Kuala Lumpur is not a very safe city.I started wondering what i should do.I told her that i am a student and dont 60 ringitts.She told me to give whatever amount i can.I took out 10 ringitts and gave her that without looking into her eyes and just left the place.Whole day i was busy working for a flashy glittery wedding and i really enjoyed myself.At the end of the day i was trying to sleep but something within me was restless.I tried to recall all the happenings in the whole day and i got stuck on that lady's incident.I sarted wondering whatever i did,was that right?Did she dupe me or i made a mistake by giving her only 10 ringitts when i could give her more?Eventually i asked myself a question,what will she do with that money if her daughter is not in hospital?Ofcourse she would not go to a pub or disco.She will buy food for herself and her daughter.That innocent face of little girl started flashing on my mindscreen.It was 12 in the night but i wanted to go to the same place.Anyhow i seplt that night and rushed to the same place next morning.I couldn't see those two faces which i was desprately looking for.I broke into tears cursing myself for ignorance and being so selfish.Sometimes i remember this incident and feel guilty.
    I have mentioned this incident not to give you a feel of some interesting article of some newspaper or something but i genuinely want all of you to help people if they ask you for.I dont want you guys to feel the way i felt and regret.Because at the end of the day it doesn't really matter who cheated you but what matters is our karma(deeds).If others(Beggers)will cheat us they will pay for it sooner or later but dont just refrain yourself from doing a good deed only because you doubt if its right or not.Remember everytime you help others,they may forget you but God will never forget to reward you for your noble deeds.So help people when you can.
    Missed most of all that has been discussed in 6 pages here but just 2 points :

1) Helping the needy is not wrong. One should help the needy in what ever means possible.

2) Begging as a professions should be discouraged and there should be no easy money for professional beggars.

Now at times we might fail to realize who is actually in need and who is begging. Its prudence at that point of time that works. Sometimes we might not help the actual needy and at times be duped by a beggar. Its part and parcel of life.
    If it is possible it will happen.
    If its impossible , it will just take a little longer.

Originally Posted by deepika
    As mentioned in mythology the characters like Karan(who is also known as Daanveer Karan)donated his "kundal kavach" to a sadhu(Lord Krishna) and Raja Bali who gave everything to Vaman(Lord Vishnu).This is what used to happen in ancient time when bhiksu(begger)was never refused,that's the reason Ravan managed to kidnap Sita disguising himself as a brahman mendicant.
    But now things have changed beggers have changed and so are donars.In old times when a person made donations he thought it to be his duty but nowadays if a person is helping a needy person he thinks that he is doing something out of the world.Now most of us,everytime we help a needy,think that we are encouraging begging.But is it true always?We all come across beggers so many times so we keep wondering is he/she really in need!I am sure sometimes we are cheated also.Like when i was in Jaipur two ladies came to me.One of them was pregnant and another asked me for money telling me that the former had labour pains i gave money and they left,within a few minutes one person standing on a distance shouted"She was a liar.She cheats people everyday".So such incidents made me ponder,should i or shouldn't i help if one asks for?
    A few days back i was heading towards my workplace when a lady approached me with her daughter(who was 6-7 years old).The moment i looked at that cute chubby little girl with small eyes she reminded me of my niece who is of same age.Before i could get out of my world of sweet memories one voice interrupted "Could you please help me" i realized it was that lady.She looked like some chinese lady.I replied"How can i help you?"
    She said" My husband is working in Vietnam and my younger daughter is in hospital.I need 60 ringitts to buy medicine for her and i dont have money rightnow".Generally i carry only 50 ringitts with me as Kuala Lumpur is not a very safe city.I started wondering what i should do.I told her that i am a student and dont 60 ringitts.She told me to give whatever amount i can.I took out 10 ringitts and gave her that without looking into her eyes and just left the place.Whole day i was busy working for a flashy glittery wedding and i really enjoyed myself.At the end of the day i was trying to sleep but something within me was restless.I tried to recall all the happenings in the whole day and i got stuck on that lady's incident.I sarted wondering whatever i did,was that right?Did she dupe me or i made a mistake by giving her only 10 ringitts when i could give her more?Eventually i asked myself a question,what will she do with that money if her daughter is not in hospital?Ofcourse she would not go to a pub or disco.She will buy food for herself and her daughter.That innocent face of little girl started flashing on my mindscreen.It was 12 in the night but i wanted to go to the same place.Anyhow i seplt that night and rushed to the same place next morning.I couldn't see those two faces which i was desprately looking for.I broke into tears cursing myself for ignorance and being so selfish.Sometimes i remember this incident and feel guilty.
    I have mentioned this incident not to give you a feel of some interesting article of some newspaper or something but i genuinely want all of you to help people if they ask you for.I dont want you guys to feel the way i felt and regret.Because at the end of the day it doesn't really matter who cheated you but what matters is our karma(deeds).If others(Beggers)will cheat us they will pay for it sooner or later but dont just refrain yourself from doing a good deed only because you doubt if its right or not.Remember everytime you help others,they may forget you but God will never forget to reward you for your noble deeds.So help people when you can.
    Ofcourse she would not go to a pub or disco.She will buy food for herself and her daughter.
    Don't underestimate in today's time what people are capable of or are not.If she was fortunate enough to encounter 3-4 people of your mentality why would she hesitate to bring a single thought of going to pub or disco.I am not against helping a needy one.But certain steps can be taken to ensure that your help is hitting the right place.
    We should avoid, infact, we must not give cash in the hands of the person standing before us begging for help.If we want to help in true sense then we by ourself should purchase the stuff the person needed.This will minimize the chances of going our help in wrong hands.
    What could be done in the case mentioned is that medicine could have been purchased in front of both the helping hands and the hands needing help.
    But I even have come across that some professional beggars keep mutual understandings with the medical stores. Once you walk off the medical store having done noble deed,the beggar will come back to the medical store and the medicine will be returned back and amount given by you will be shared between the beggar and the medicine-seller in a proportion predetermined by both the beggar and the medical-store.
    So question arises how far can we go outsmarting these professional beggars. Someone may offer a solution in this case that don't purchase the stuff from the place the beggar insists on.
    But It is not necessary our wits will always take the right decisions in every such incident we do encounter. But with some awareness we can try to minimize the misuse of our hard-earned money.
    One another point as stipulated in the above quoted paragraph is that it is not like that we should help everyone being oblivious to whether our help is going is serving its purpose or not as God is having a constant eye on all of us. It really hurts when we come to know that ours money earned with efforts has been misused when it could have been a help to someone in real need.
    Someone might jump here to justify ,although chances are very rare, what if she went to disco or bar. She is also a human-being and there is nothing wrong with having her some enjoying moments in a disco or a bar. We would be able to stand this view someday when every creature on this earth would start sleeping in the night with his/her stomach being not empty.
    But reality is that we have limited resources and and we have the burden of satisfying the needs of the maximum people with these limited resources. So we don't have any choice but to make ourself aware enough to curb misuse of our resources.
    Giving money blindly who we encounter and then leaving everything on the mercy of the God is certainly not a prudent step.
    All that we are is the result of what we have thought."
    ~ Buddha

Every coin has two sides.Forget about my mentality but tell me one thing....Are you sure she duped me and came to me with her daughter because she wanted to extract money out of me?If you are damn sure about it then please don't be.We can't be even sure about the next breath we gonna take.There are certain things to which one can't apply educated brains.Its so easy to find fault in other's views(so m i finding in urs)...You blame my mentality for encouraging that class of beggars and trust me i blame you equally for not helping any needy who appears to be habitual of begging to you(even if he is really in need)...there's no parameter or Lie detector we can carry with ourselves...one more thing sometimes not only help in kind is sufficient...one has to put hands in pocket also if there's someone who is in real need...well its all about assumption...your assumption is what you explained mine is what i think.I respect you for ur views but ofcourse i had to defend my views coz thts the way i think and take it....One more thing...instead of using my statements, what i have written you could just put across ur views about it as it wud have saved my time in explaining again what i think about it (as i have expressed clearly in previous replies)...So even if u wish to reply once again here plz don't consider what i think and what others think and where they are wrong and which statement is faluty...i would appreciate if u come up with ur own words on should we help or shudn't we....

Quote Originally Posted by pdpbeniwal View Post
    Ofcourse she would not go to a pub or disco.She will buy food for herself and her daughter.
    Don't underestimate in today's time what people are capable of or are not.If she was fortunate enough to encounter 3-4 people of your mentality why would she hesitate to bring a single thought of going to pub or disco.I am not against helping a needy one.But certain steps can be taken to ensure that your help is hitting the right place.
    We should avoid, infact, we must not give cash in the hands of the person standing before us begging for help.If we want to help in true sense then we by ourself should purchase the stuff the person needed.This will minimize the chances of going our help in wrong hands.
    What could be done in the case mentioned is that medicine could have been purchased in front of both the helping hands and the hands needing help.
    But I even have come across that some professional beggars keep mutual understandings with the medical stores. Once you walk off the medical store having done noble deed,the beggar will come back to the medical store and the medicine will be returned back and amount given by you will be shared between the beggar and the medicine-seller in a proportion predetermined by both the beggar and the medical-store.
    So question arises how far can we go outsmarting these professional beggars. Someone may offer a solution in this case that don't purchase the stuff from the place the beggar insists on.
    But It is not necessary our wits will always take the right decisions in every such incident we do encounter. But with some awareness we can try to minimize the misuse of our hard-earned money.
    One another point as stipulated in the above quoted paragraph is that it is not like that we should help everyone being oblivious to whether our help is going is serving its purpose or not as God is having a constant eye on all of us. It really hurts when we come to know that ours money earned with efforts has been misused when it could have been a help to someone in real need.
    Someone might jump here to justify ,although chances are very rare, what if she went to disco or bar. She is also a human-being and there is nothing wrong with having her some enjoying moments in a disco or a bar. We would be able to stand this view someday when every creature on this earth would start sleeping in the night with his/her stomach being not empty.
    But reality is that we have limited resources and and we have the burden of satisfying the needs of the maximum people with these limited resources. So we don't have any choice but to make ourself aware enough to curb misuse of our resources.
    Giving money blindly who we encounter and then leaving everything on the mercy of the God is certainly not a prudent step.
    Last edited by deepika; March 12th, 2009 at 06:25 AM.

Every coin has two sides.Forget about my mentality but tell me one thing....Are you sure she duped me and came to me with her daughter because she wanted to extract money out of me?If you are damn sure about it then please don't be.We can't be even sure about the next breath we gonna take.There are certain things to which one can't apply educated brains.Its so easy to find fault in other's views(so m i finding in urs)...You blame my mentality for encouraging that class of beggars and trust me i blame you equally for not helping any needy who appears to be habitual of begging to you(even if he is really in need)...there's no parameter or Lie detector we can carry with ourselves...one more thing sometimes not only help in kind is sufficient...one has to put hands in pocket also if there's someone who is in real need...well its all about assumption...your assumption is what you explained mine is what i think.I respect you for ur views but ofcourse i had to defend my views coz thts the way i think and take it....One more thing...instead of using my statements, what i have written you could just put across ur views about it as it wud have saved my time in explaining again what i think about it (as i have expressed clearly in previous replies)...So even if u wish to reply once again here plz don't consider what i think and what others think and where they are wrong and which statement is faluty...i would appreciate if u come up with ur own words on should we help or shudn't we....
    Dear Deepika,
    Although I'm not very conversant with the kind of discussions that keep on going at JL but I have learnt by analyzing them over a period of time at my level is that Either you come up with very your own words OR If someone's comments or views don't seem digestable to you,you can express your dissatisfication by quoting the whole paragraph or by a line.
    As far as the matter of respect of views is concerned, I respect everyone's views and ideas here.Same way I respect your views too but what if i picked up one line which was not able to go with my thinking or views or practical knowledge despite of my best efforts. And ,Morever, I did so just to take a start and after that I didn't keep reiterating your line and less or more I came up with only my own words.
    Undoubtedly It's all about our assumptions and thinking, but there is a word 'Practical'. Which assumptions and thoughts are more practical is the thing to ponder over.We make our assumptions based on certain other assumptions at a small level. If we make a mistake making a premise at a small level,final outcome may be much off way to the real life.I redlined one such of your premise.And It's not always like defending your views, if I realized where i went wrong, I would no longer be able to defend them.Now I will stop giving any more personal tint to the issue.
    Yes,We can't always be able to discriminate between the real and the fake. But by default helping everyone doesn't seem to hit practicality. The people who need help are quite more than the people who are willing to help.Prduence is in helping the maximum we can with our limited resources by using some awareness.You may be able to save onelife in one odd case but that could be coming at the cost of many other lives.
    All that we are is the result of what we have thought."
    ~ Buddha

Pradeep i agree with each and evey word that you have written but the words in red should have been golden in colour. I wish to use this SMILE if it doesn't seem to be SARCASTIC
    Quote Originally Posted by pdpbeniwal View Post
    Dear Deepika,
    Although I'm not very conversant with the kind of discussions that keep on going at JL but I have learnt by analyzing them over a period of time at my level is that Either you come up with very your own words OR If someone's comments or views don't seem digestable to you,you can express your dissatisfication by quoting the whole paragraph or by a line.
    As far as the matter of respect of views is concerned, I respect everyone's views and ideas here.Same way I respect your views too but what if i picked up one line which was not able to go with my thinking or views or practical knowledge despite of my best efforts. And ,Morever, I did so just to take a start and after that I didn't keep reiterating your line and less or more I came up with only my own words.
    Undoubtedly It's all about our assumptions and thinking, but there is a word 'Practical'. Which assumptions and thoughts are more practical is the thing to ponder over.We make our assumptions based on certain other assumptions at a small level. If we make a mistake making a premise at a small level,final outcome may be much off way to the real life.I redlined one such of your premise.And It's not always like defending your views, if I realized where i went wrong, I would no longer be able to defend them.Now I will stop giving any more personal tint to the issue.
    Yes,We can't always be able to discriminate between the real and the fake. But by default helping everyone doesn't seem to hit practicality. The people who need help are quite more than the people who are willing to help.Prduence is in helping the maximum we can with our limited resources by using some awareness.You may be able to save onelife in one odd case but that could be coming at the cost of many other lives.
    I AM WHAT I AM....JAT.... 16X2=8

You have done an excellent job by grabbing the extract of the whole issue.I agree with you completely.I am glad that other than me there are some more people who atleast act the way i do,otherwise i actually started wondering if this world has only wise people

Quote Originally Posted by shekhar_nehra View Post
    Missed most of all that has been discussed in 6 pages here but just 2 points :

1) Helping the needy is not wrong. One should help the needy in what ever means possible.

2) Begging as a professions should be discouraged and there should be no easy money for professional beggars.

Now at times we might fail to realize who is actually in need and who is begging. Its prudence at that point of time that works. Sometimes we might not help the actual needy and at times be duped by a beggar. Its part and parcel of life.

Angry

Pradeep i agree with each and evey word that you have written but the words in red should have been golden in colour. I wish to use this SMILE if it doesn't seem to be SARCASTIC
    You have done an excellent job by grabbing the extract of the whole issue.I agree with you completely.I am glad that other than me there are some more people who atleast act the way i do,otherwise i actually started wondering if this world has only wise people
    tham jao.....tham jao...

dikkhe fer thare seeng adan ale sain....
    If someone has to kill you, he has to beat you first.

Dont worry i won't get into that wrestling arena no matter how badly i am provoked....i remember and i am working on the the theory u mentioned 'Silence is the biggest weapon".but ofcourse i dont need to tell u here who is actually more than willing to start...but anyways sab viphal prayaas hai abb...i won't be bothered....jisko jaha daan dena theek lage karo

Quote Originally Posted by ssgoyat View Post

tham jao.....tham jao...

Last edited by deepika; March 12th, 2009 at 03:40 PM.

bahut baar hamaari jindagi mein Galat-fahmiyaan baadha ban jaati hain aur vo achhe kaam karne se rokti hain,,,,,,,isi liye galat fahmi se bachna chaahiye aur madad karo

Kalli na maanne aade kisse nai ek sthri quote likhi thi...kimme pig enjoying....something like that waa yaad aagi thi mere By the way were you trying to be sarcastic? or just preaching?Anyways thanks for interruption....I wish PEOPLE are unbiased when they LOOK FOR SPECIFIC THINGS

Goyat salah time tai pehlya diya kar plz na tai baat haath tai KADH kai sudharan ki koshish to vifal prayas hi hoga
    Quote Originally Posted by ssgoyat View Post

tham jao.....tham jao...

Last edited by sunitahooda; March 12th, 2009 at 03:50 PM.

mad: By the way were you trying to be sarcastic? or just preaching?

Goyat salah time tai pehlya diya kar plz na tai baat haath tai KADH kai sudharan ki koshish to vifal prayas hi hoga
    kimme soch lyo, aapki marji sai ji....sarcastic ya preaching...

manne tem pe bhi di thi je yaad ho to (wa ke kunsi manni), arr eeb tesari baar kahi sai manne...

kyunn khamkha me chappal jutti hovo so..
    If someone has to kill you, he has to beat you first.

.......and I ask Why shouldn't you help beggars when you can? Remember what goes around comes around. You all must be knowing about the Karma theory anyway. Ek bhikhaari song yaad aaya 'jo de uska bhi bhala ar jo na de uska bhi bhala :D'. Make poverty history, try atleast
    Last edited by VPannu; March 14th, 2009 at 12:13 PM.

Pannu NA DENN ki kis ney kahi? almost sab nyu kah sain ke jiss nai "DHANDHA"(won't write Profession..this word provokes) bana rakhya sai unne ma dyo mai to ghani help kara karu arr manne lage nyuay deti rahi to manne bi bheekh maangni padd sake sai
    Quote Originally Posted by VPannu View Post
    .......and I ask Why shouldn't you help beggars when you can? Remember what goes around comes around. You all must be knowing about the Karma theory anyway. Ek bhikhaari song yaad aaya 'jo de uska bhi bhala ar jo na de uska bhi bhala :D'. Make poverty history, try atleast

:p:p:p:p:p:p:p
    Pannu NA DENN ki kis ney kahi? almost sab nyu kah sain ke jiss nai "DHANDHA"(won't write Profession..this word provokes) bana rakhya sai unne ma dyo mai to ghani help kara karu arr manne lage nyuay deti rahi to manne bi bheekh maangni padd sake sai
    Lost my cell..All are requested to send your contact details with name pls...

Happiness is not something you find, It's something you create.

india main world main sabse jayda beggers hai

main ek baat batyo gaam main chun magan ale baba bhi beggers maine ave hai ke
    Quote Originally Posted by satyenderdeswal View Post
    :p:p:p:p:p:p:p