Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: How to check speed of computer?

How to check speed of computer?

Dear friends
    in 2001 i bought P3 1.1Ghz with 128 Mb. RAM and 40 GB harddisk 5200 RPM (IDE) which i sold out after college and bought AMD 4800 with 1 GB RAM SATA hard disk 250 GB

I think my earlier computer was faster then this as in that computer i use to copy several items togeather and time of copying hardly differs with number of copies started togeather.
    In this computer i started to copy a file and when i picked another file to copy time of copying changed from 15 secs. to 17 minutes.

How can we say that new computers are faster? how can we measure their speed?
    Dream is not what you see while sleeping. Dream is that which won't let you sleep

Rakese Virus ghus ga lagge hai bhai tere computer main, norton load karva le

Quote Originally Posted by rakeshsehrawat View Post
    Dear friends
    in 2001 i bought P3 1.1Ghz with 128 Mb. RAM and 40 GB harddisk 5200 RPM (IDE) which i sold out after college and bought AMD 4800 with 1 GB RAM SATA hard disk 250 GB

I think my earlier computer was faster then this as in that computer i use to copy several items togeather and time of copying hardly differs with number of copies started togeather.
    In this computer i started to copy a file and when i picked another file to copy time of copying changed from 15 secs. to 17 minutes.

Ajay Verma

Quote Originally Posted by ajayverma1973 View Post
    Rakese Virus ghus ga lagge hai bhai tere computer main, norton load karva le
    Norton to katya hoya bhi na load karu

koye virus nahi hai bhai
    Last edited by rakeshsehrawat; March 6th, 2009 at 04:07 PM.
    Dream is not what you see while sleeping. Dream is that which won't let you sleep

Norton purchase kiya tha ya phir pirated, coz pirated doesn't detect or clean viruses.

Norton to katya hoya bhi load karu

koye virus nahi hai bhai
    Ajay Verma

Quote Originally Posted by ajayverma1973 View Post
    Norton purchase kiya tha ya phir pirated, coz pirated doesn't detect or clean viruses.
    I tried both and found Norton totally Useless

Rakesh ji yeh problem jyadatar assembled computers me hoti hai. Aisi peresani jyada badi hard disk use karne se bhi aati hai.try to use 80gb or 40 gb hard disk.

Quote Originally Posted by gajender View Post
    Rakesh ji yeh problem jyadatar assembled computers me hoti hai. Aisi peresani jyada badi hard disk use karne se bhi aati hai.try to use 80gb or 40 gb hard disk.
    Sorry dost 250 choti pad gayee ib 320 le li:tamatar:tamatar

Ib to kise din sara tamjham badalna dikhe hai

Bhai Norton ka original use kar ke dekh...Compture speed issi pakdega ek akash main udan lag jyaga...:p:p
    Sorry dost 250 choti pad gayee ib 320 le li:tamatar:tamatar

Ib to kise din sara tamjham badalna dikhe hai
    Lost my cell..All are requested to send your contact details with name pls...

Happiness is not something you find, It's something you create.

Ye kuch jyada nahi ho gya....fer aadmiya mai koonsa programme daalna chahiye uddtey computer pai kaam karan khatar.

Desktop ko bhi clear rakhna chahiye na
    Quote Originally Posted by satyenderdeswal View Post
    Bhai Norton ka original use kar ke dekh...Compture speed issi pakdega ek akash main udan lag jyaga...:p:p
    I AM WHAT I AM....JAT.... 16X2=8

Tanney aadmi er Laptop udtey nahi dekhey???
    Pher aadmi bhi raji hoke udengey computera gel..:D:D

Really, Norton Antivirus is my trusted one...
    Quote Originally Posted by sunitahooda View Post
    Ye kuch jyada nahi ho gya....fer aadmiya mai koonsa programme daalna chahiye uddtey computer pai kaam karan khatar.

Desktop ko bhi clear rakhna chahiye na

use this benchmark for comparing CPUs: http://www.passmark.com/products/pt.htm

To check what is problem with delay, you can press ctr+alt+del to and check "process" tab to see which process is taking most CPU usage. if its exporer.exe then copying is the only task taking memory and processor utilization. if there is some other process too then you can investigate further about it.

Usually concurrent copy commands is not a very good idea but as you have enough memory and SATA HDD then it should not give troubles to you.
    LeTz SpReAd ----JaTiSm-----
    --JaTiSm Is NoT A ReLiGiOn, ItZ StAtE oF MiNd--

Re: speed of computer

There can be many reasons behind poor system performance. In addition to checking the processes and system usage, I would recommend:

+ Using AVG Anti-virus. It is free. It's a little annoying when installed as you have to set up permissions, but after that, should be easy. Better than Norton as it does not use up system resources - Norton slows the computer down and I agree - it is useless. <http://free.avg.com/>

+ Using Spybot Search & Destroy: It is an excellent tool for detecting, isolating and removing spyware, trojans and worms <http://www.safer-networking.org/index2.html>

+ Checking OS: What OS are you running? Win XP is still much better than Vista. I had Vista on mine but the computer was running incredibly slowly considering system specs. On switching back to XP (SP2), it is running as expected. I have an AMD Athlon, 64 X2 Dual, Core Processor 5000+, 2.61GHz, 1GB RAM, 320GB HDD. Vista killed it. It was running slower than a 186.

+ Defragmenting: Have you tried defragmenting? If you move files around often and have not defragged your drive recently, that's worth a go as it'll collate used and free space rather than having the sectors all over the place.

What is the writing speed of your hard drive? Though 5200rpm and above are adequate. Your computer specs are more than enough - shouldn't be a problem.

If you do find spyware etc. I would also suggest using COMODO firewall (also free!) <http://personalfirewall.comodo.com/>

Hope this helps!
    Last edited by ac; March 13th, 2009 at 11:13 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by aakankshac View Post
    There can be many reasons behind poor system performance. In addition to checking the processes and system usage, I would recommend:

+ Using AVG Anti-virus. It is free. It's a little annoying when installed as you have to set up permissions, but after that, should be easy. Better than Norton as it does not use up system resources - Norton slows the computer down and I agree - it is useless. <http://free.avg.com/>

+ Using Spybot Search & Destroy: It is an excellent tool for detecting, isolating and removing spyware, trojans and worms <http://www.safer-networking.org/index2.html>

+ Checking OS: What OS are you running? Win XP is still much better than Vista. I had Vista on mine but the computer was running incredibly slowly considering system specs. On switching back to XP (SP2), it is running as expected. I have an AMD Athlon, 64 X2 Dual, Core Processor 5000+, 2.61GHz, 1GB RAM, 320GB HDD. Vista killed it. It was running slower than a 186.

+ Defragmenting: Have you tried defragmenting? If you move files around often and have not defragged your drive recently, that's worth a go as it'll collate used and free space rather than having the sectors all over the place.

What is the writing speed of your hard drive? Though 5200rpm and above are adequate. Your computer specs are more than enough - shouldn't be a problem.

If you do find spyware etc. I would also suggest using COMODO firewall (also free!) <http://personalfirewall.comodo.com/>

Hope this helps!
    Maam My configuration is same as yours except processor it is 2.5 GHZ
    i changed Hard disk to 320 GB
    From all above discussions and my RESEARCh i came to conclusion that i have to change RAM i am planning to use 2 Gb more.
    Hope it works

deswal bhai shab norton speed increase nahi decrease karta hai........norton is bakwas anti-virus....

Quote Originally Posted by satyenderdeswal View Post

hmmm....eeb itney janey mil ke kaho ho te thik hoga...per mera system te mast ho rahya se norton te e.....auraan te better result miley se bhai...
    pher thum koi aur use kar lyo jo badhiya lagta ho bhai...
    Quote Originally Posted by nkharub View Post
    deswal bhai shab norton speed increase nahi decrease karta hai........norton is bakwas anti-virus....

From all above discussions and my RESEARCh i came to conclusion that i have to change RAM i am planning to use 2 Gb more.
    Hope it works
    रॉकेट banaavega ka computer ka? :D
    Akanksha <http://www.safer-networking.org/index2.html> this link doesn't work. Pls check if you happen to visit this thread again

Rakesh u should go for branded pc.......assembled pc main kafi problems face karni padti hain

Dear friends

Quote Originally Posted by nkharub View Post
    Rakesh u should go for branded pc.......assembled pc main kafi problems face karni padti hain
    Branded mein bhi suad koni yaar office mein HP compaq DC 7800 hai. Core 2 uo 2.4 2 GB ram fer bhi ghana sa farak nahi dikhya.
    Desktop liya itne rate mein Laptop bhi mil sake tha par wa baat nahi.
    Jo cheez pasand nahi tha ke badal lyo Ghat badh asan hai assembled mein branded mein madi si dikkat ho gayee tha ke dhobra hande jao dealer dhore. ke fer dekho baat do din mein awega char din mein awega. Assembled mein thao pechkas ar khida dyo ke tension hai jis part mein dikkat hai tha le jao .:rock:rock:rockDonuwa ke apne suad hai len aala chaiye
    Last edited by rakeshsehrawat; March 14th, 2009 at 01:00 PM.

@Vivek: The link works fine for me: http://www.safer-networking.org/index2.html
    If you are unable to access it, a google search will lead you to the home of Spybot-S&D

@Rakesh: More RAM may improve speed of file transfers but will not eliminate the underlying problem for poor system performance. Generally 2GB+ RAM is used by gamers or those using media editing apps. Good luck though!

Quote Originally Posted by aakankshac View Post
    @Vivek: The link works fine for me: http://www.safer-networking.org/index2.html
    If you are unable to access it, a google search will lead you to the home of Spybot-S&D

@Rakesh: More RAM may improve speed of file transfers but will not eliminate the underlying problem for poor system performance. Generally 2GB+ RAM is used by gamers or those using media editing apps. Good luck though!
    Yes maam now you guessed right
    all i do with my computer is games and file transfers:rock:rock
    i am a mechanical engineer so max. i need is to install few 3D modalling softwares.