Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Thread: What is better Walking or Running

Brisk walking on road is not a problem at all. If precautions are taken then even running is not a prob at all. I guess in Gym you can try other options also, such as cycling, steppers, ellipticals, rowing, stairmaster...

Quote Originally Posted by aryasatyadev View Post
    BTW you are right, it is Gym, but doesn't the brisk walking on roads also improves your breathing pattern and tone up the calf muscle.

Basta............

lekin kya kandhe par kutch rakh lene se spinal cord par asar nahin padega

Arya satyadev bhaisahab....utna weight tao na ..jitna spinal cord aaram teh ott sake.....school ke balak nahi dekhe ke....basta le ke jaya kare...nu e kahu tha mai....
    Vj.....Anti Social.....
    BE JAT LIKE फोगाट........

in order to tone calf and thigh muscles
    For this specifically, go for Glute kick back and Leg press..(works..first hand exp)
    "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover."
    -Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by nitindev View Post
    Just want to say one thing that take appropriate care, specially if you plan to run on road. I suffered from ITB - problem because had I ignored some early symptoms and overlooked few important things such as - quality of shoes, stress, uneven roads. etc. Btw where do you plan to work out, gym?
    nitin nd other members... many hv talked abt precautions nd risks of running... wud appreciate if someone can elaborate more on these precautions nd risks associated thru their practical experiences nd not frm googling.
    ! ... be BOLD in what you stand for !
    !! ... i've the simplest tastes, i'm always satisfied with the best !!
    !!! ... be yourself, everyone else is already taken !!!

Quote Originally Posted by mann123 View Post
    Walking has better benefits than running and walking can be done by almost everyone and less prone to injury...everything else depends on the objective

how is this:

Walking --> running --> Cycling --> Swimming :D:D

ofcourse a break before swimming.
    Walking + running + Cycling + Swimming= Gudaliya Chaaling Just for 500 meters.
    "All I am trying to do is bridge the gap between Jats and Rest of World"

As I shall imagine, so shall I become.

Quote Originally Posted by brahmtewatia View Post
    nitin nd other members... many hv talked abt precautions nd risks of running... wud appreciate if someone can elaborate more on these precautions nd risks associated thru their practical experiences nd not frm googling.
    Brahm, if you sprint on concrete, then the bones in your legs face a lot of pressure, special problem areas are shins and knees. The reason I guess is that the hard ground doesn't soften the impact. Personally, I face problems in shins rather than in knees. But I think knee problem is more serious as I know 2 people who had to undergo surgery. The problem is mitigated to an extent if you sprint on soft ground like grass, mud track or even treadmill. Also, I am talking about sprinting here- greater than 10 km/hour. The original question was on 8 km/hour, and unless you have a history of leg problem or you are old, I don't think that is a problem. And of course it depends on person to person, someone may find it perfectly fine to run on the road.

It also has a lot to do with rhythm and smoothness of movement. If you do a proper warm up (Stretching all the muscles in legs) and your running is also built up gradually, it helps a lot. I find my shins paining much more after I have played cricket (usually no warm up, followed by lots of jerky movements, sudden running and stopping) rather than after a jog on the treadmill.

Quote Originally Posted by kapil.dalal View Post
    Brahm, if you sprint on concrete, then the bones in your legs face a lot of pressure, special problem areas are shins and knees.
    Yes, you will get shin pain if you run on concrete.
    You have to be utmost careful while doing gym. A small jerk and it might cause a tear of your muscle. While running you need to run at the pace which you feel the most comfortable. Don't try to imitate others. Some can run for long distances based on their stamina and at much higher speed.
    The most apt thing to be fit is to play an outdoor game. Play for an hour in evening and see how quickly your physical strength improves overall. Mornings you can do Yoga to make your body flexible.
    My suggestion is that you should opt for outdoor games than doing Gym.
    Gym me AC me exercise karne se better h kisi park me jogging karo ya fir ground me koi game khelo jisme sare shreer ki exercise ek sath ho jaye.
    A350Xwb - Shaping Efficiency!

hahahahahahhahahahaha kasut s r tu to..........

Quote Originally Posted by amritkharb View Post
    ha ha
    refugee aaya mere dware
    apna dimag ghuma raha re
    soch soch
    kar pareshan
    woh ho raha re
    choice usnee
    do deh rakhi hae
    chalna aur bhagna
    uska sar chakra raha re
    usne karna kuch nahe re
    jatland par post kar ke
    woh chalta bana re:tamatar
    phir woh wapas
    nahee aa raha
    uttar dete dete
    sar dusroon
    ka chakra raha
    kewel doo choice haeen?
    choos lee
    bannee ke liye
    phikar karte karte
    hamara dil
    duba ja raha re

kaheen bhag ke jaana hae kya? km ph par speed hae par jana hae kar rakha hae miles mein? bahar ja kar ulta seedha ligne lag yage aap.
    best option hae ki jatland par post kare jayo. sare exercise ho jayeegi. :D

Quote Originally Posted by vjphoughat View Post

Arya satyadev bhaisahab....utna weight tao na ..jitna spinal cord aaram teh ott sake.....school ke balak nahi dekhe ke....basta le ke jaya kare...nu e kahu tha mai....
    Jhakoi hanga panda chhoota hai uste ib bhi kyun khandhyan pe tangan ke chakkar me sai... :D
    Par seriously bhai, now I have to carry more weight on shoulders.... considering backpack and all.... but that is better adjusted than the school bag.......
    Thanks a lot.
    "Similia Similibus Curentur"

Quote Originally Posted by Samarkadian View Post
    Walking + running + Cycling + Swimming= Gudaliya Chaaling Just for 500 meters.
    Gode chhulwa ke manoge Samar bhai......
    Par chalo aapne kaha he te kar ke dekhenge:D

Quote Originally Posted by poonam View Post
    For this specifically, go for Glute kick back and Leg press..(works..first hand exp)
    Please elaborate a little.....

Hydrate yourself...depending on how much you sweat!!!! This would apply to any kind of excercise....

Please elaborate a little.....

Well, if you work out on these machines, it will help you toning your thigh and calf muscles. Ofcourse, gottago to gym for that though and in case you decide to go to a gym , make sure you get someone trained to show you how to make best use of 'em and do it correctly.

To give some idea, here are the pictures of these machines..first one is leg press..
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	legpress1.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	25.6 KB 
ID:	3566   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	5039.jpg 
Views:	33 
Size:	21.7 KB 
ID:	3567  
    "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover."
    -Mark Twain

Well, if you work out on these machines, it will help you toning your thigh and calf muscles. Ofcourse, gottago to gym for that though and in case you decide to go to a gym , make sure you get someone trained to show you how to make best use of 'em and do it correctly.

To give some idea, here are the pictures of these machines..first one is leg press..
    Bebey legpress mein ke dharaa se? Dand maar! Saare mucle ton-se ho jyange! :D

Quote Originally Posted by dahiyarules View Post
    Bebey legpress mein ke dharaa se? Dand maar! Saare mucle ton-se ho jyange! :D
    naa ....dharaa te sae bhai...tadki khaat pe tae uttho jab bera paate sae....:D:D
    -Mark Twain

Thanks for explaining and for the pics also...

eb satydev ji tawli a naya thread shuru kar degge ki in donu pressa me te konsa karna chahiye.............

" If the loser keeps his smile........
    Then the winner will loose the thrill of the victory.......
    Attitude make the difference......"

Quote Originally Posted by ritu View Post
    eb satydev ji tawli a naya thread shuru kar degge ki in donu pressa me te konsa karna chahiye.............
    Konya karun ji, ghana e gyan mil liya....... :D
    I appreciate the efforts of Poonam for putting up the pics... Thanks

Precautions:-

1. No daily running in the beginning - infact daily running should be avoided even in advanced stages. It is not even beneficial.
    2. Gradual increment in the intensity (that is distance, frequency and speed)
    3. Proper running shoes, not just white cheap quality shoes (I know few models by asics not sure about their availability in India)
    4. Avoid Running on uneven roads or roads with pits and holes
    5. Brisk walking is fine but if you choose to run/jog then try to incorporate the workout for thighs (inner) for at least 1 or 2 days in a week.
    6. Most importantly dont forget to warm up little bit for the leg muscles before the run.
    7. If stretching/cool-down can be done after the workout then it will perfect ending.

These are just few things which I can think of. When I developed the ITB prob then I could not sustain running for more than 5-8 mins and skipping beyond 500 (basically had problems with high intensity workout requiring leg muscles and didn't have any problem with carrying loads of weight and walking for hours, cycling or climbing stairs). Later I consulted the physiotherapist and did regular exercise for the muscles and now I can run again for 30 mins (5 miles) or more and skip at the levels I used to.

Respect the body, don't abuse it..

Happy workout. It's fun...

Last edited by nitindev; August 6th, 2009 at 03:11 AM.

tks kapil, nitin n all... i guess m fine with 30-45 mins of praanayam (jai baba ramdev) in the morn nd 2-3 games of squash in the eve. thts good enuff for me to keep myself sufficiently fit. swimming in summers can be a good excercise nd can well be taken for leisure... add some lager on wkends, promise it'll be a great fun.

actually i wanted to add jogging in my schedule... let me keep it off, as of now.
    ! ... be BOLD in what you stand for !
    !! ... i've the simplest tastes, i'm always satisfied with the best !!
    !!! ... be yourself, everyone else is already taken !!!