Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: What is better Walking or Running

What is better Walking or Running

What is a better option for overall fitness of body specially the muscles and breathing::

a) Walking @ 6.5 KmPH for 2 miles
    OR
    b) Running @ 8KmPH or more for 3 miles.
    "Similia Similibus Curentur"

Second. (Isn't it obvious?)

Email Verification Pending
    Login to view details.
    depend karta hae. agar aap running nahe kar sakte to walking better hae. Jo aap kar sakte haen woh hae better hae.
    Muscles? aap kaun se duniya mein rehte haeen? in mien se koi bhi activity muscle ke liye better nahe hae. kamal ho gaya loggon to basis knowledge hee nahe hae.:rolleyes:

bilkul obvious.....

Quote Originally Posted by kapil.dalal View Post
    Second. (Isn't it obvious?)

Kapil bhai....katti obvious sai.....

Arya sahab......swaad loo soo ke balka ke.....:D

mainne teh lagta nahi ...itni speed teh road pe chaale teh kimme hoga.......:rolleyes:

Badiya result laan tai mere dhore 2-3 sujhav se sai....jai kamal lage teh soch liooo....

• par itni e speed teh ret me chaloge teh baat alag sai......
    • arr itni e speed teh kache (mud) me chaloge teh bhi faltu e fark padega.....
    • arr jai itni e speed me kandhe (shoulder) pe kimme ger doge....kuch bhari sa sodha......teh orr bhi ghana e fark padega.....
    Last edited by VJ; August 4th, 2009 at 07:56 PM.
    Vj.....Anti Social.....
    BE JAT LIKE फोगाट........

b)....provided you can take stress on your knees, ankles and other joints...

I guess there is a difference between developing a mucle tone or muscle mass....and these two aerobic excercises promote muscle tone???

Quote Originally Posted by anjoo View Post
    b)....provided you can take stress on your knees, ankles and other joints...

I guess there is a difference between developing a mucle tone or muscle mass....and these two aerobic excercises promote muscle tone???
    That's actually a very Good point... worth keeping in mind! (most of folks never realize that for positive gains with jogging you need to have the perfectly matched customized footwear, a surface that supports the cause, etc, and all that in order to not start countering all the good gains of going thru the 'pain'....)

Also let's take this opportunity to reinforce the fact that doesn't matter which of the two physical activities one involves himself/herself with; it is still gonna be mighty beneficial (meaning; if you are NOT running/jogging, doesn't mean you are wasting your time making no appreciable gains with let's say simply doing brisk walking!)
    ...Wouldn't follow the trodden path, but shall leave a blazing trail!!!...

Start with a) and work towards b). Also you may need to bring in more variety in your workout, to foster the fitness and boost overall health. Just
    want to say one thing that take appropriate care, specially if you plan to run on road. I suffered from ITB - problem because had I ignored some early symptoms and overlooked few important things such as - quality of shoes, stress, uneven roads. etc. Btw where do you plan to work out, gym?

Quote Originally Posted by aryasatyadev View Post
    What is a better option for overall fitness of body specially the muscles and breathing::

OR
    Last edited by nitindev; August 5th, 2009 at 01:54 AM.

OR

R you a Refugee / punjabi migrant ??

Email Verification Pending
    Login to view details.

OR
    ha ha
    refugee aaya mere dware
    apna dimag ghuma raha re
    soch soch
    kar pareshan
    woh ho raha re
    choice usnee
    do deh rakhi hae
    chalna aur bhagna
    uska sar chakra raha re
    usne karna kuch nahe re
    jatland par post kar ke
    woh chalta bana re:tamatar
    phir woh wapas
    nahee aa raha
    uttar dete dete
    sar dusroon
    ka chakra raha
    kewel doo choice haeen?
    choos lee
    bannee ke liye
    phikar karte karte
    hamara dil
    duba ja raha re

kaheen bhag ke jaana hae kya? km ph par speed hae par jana hae kar rakha hae miles mein? bahar ja kar ulta seedha ligne lag yage aap.
    best option hae ki jatland par post kare jayo. sare exercise ho jayeegi. :D
    Last edited by amritkharb; August 4th, 2009 at 10:43 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by amritkharb View Post
    ha ha
    refugee aaya mere dware
    apna dimag ghuma raha re
    soch soch pareshan
    woh ho raha re
    choice usnee
    do deh rakhi hae
    chalna aur bhagna
    uska sar chakra raha re
    usne karna kuch nahe re
    jatland par post kar ke
    woh chalta bana re:tamatar
    phir woh wapas
    nahee aa raha
    uttar dete dete
    sar dusroon
    ka chakra raha
    kewel doo choice haeen?
    choos lee
    bannee ke liye
    phikar karte karte
    hamara dil
    duba ja raha re

kaheen bhag ke jaana hae kya? km ph par speed hae par jana hae kar rakha hae miles mein? bahar ja kar ulta seedha ligne lag yage aap.
    best option hae ki jatland par post kare jayo. sare exercise ho jayeegi. :D
    2 kilo khoon bada diya bhai teri shayri ne!

Ke sai yuuuu....

Quote Originally Posted by BadgujarSampat View Post
    R you a Refugee / punjabi migrant ??

Fer tainne ke karna sai......ration card banawega ke.......
    Vj.....Anti Social.....
    BE JAT LIKE फोगाट........

OR
    It depends on what your goal is.

Running burns more calories per unit of distance covered as there is more body movement involved. Plus, it works out more muscles in your body; again for the same reason i.e. it involves more body movement.

So, if you are physically fit enough to run, it can help you achieve better fitness compared to walking. Also, when you run your body needs more air because your body runs out of oxygen at a faster rate than it would if you were simply breathing. Body uses the oxygen to metabolize the fat stored in your body. Thus, running can help you burn fat faster than walking alone.

Some trainers will tell you that you will burn more fat by walking. Thats true if you look at the amount of fat lost per unit of calorie burnt by your body when you compare running and walking. But again, you burn more calories per unit of distance that you run compared to walking. So, overall you burn more calories and fat if you run for a given distance than you would have if you simply walked.

I hope that answers your question.

Try cycling.
    Running can be hard on your knees if your high upper body weight.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to sidchhikara For This Useful Post:

Moar (September 17th, 2011)

Quote Originally Posted by sidchhikara View Post
    Try cycling.
    Running can be hard on your knees if your high upper body weight.
    or swimming.

For starters/couch potatoes, brisk walking is better to begin with..
    For a complete workout though, its got to be a combination of aerobic/strength training/ stretching..depends on what you are looking for.
    "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover."
    -Mark Twain

16. The Following User Says Thank You to poonam For This Useful Post:

Moar (September 17th, 2011)

Bhai yeh option har jagah aur har samay nahin milte.

Quote Originally Posted by vjphoughat View Post
    par itni e speed teh ret me chaloge teh baat alag sai......
    • arr jai itni e speed me kandhe (shoulder) pe kimme ger doge....kuch bhari sa sodha......teh orr bhi ghana e fark padega.....
    -Virender M.

Walking has better benefits than running and walking can be done by almost everyone and less prone to injury...everything else depends on the objective

how is this:

Walking --> running --> Cycling --> Swimming :D:D

ofcourse a break before swimming.
    -Virender M.

Quote Originally Posted by amritkharb View Post
    depend karta hae. agar aap running nahe kar sakte to walking better hae. Jo aap kar sakte haen woh hae better hae.
    Muscles? aap kaun se duniya mein rehte haeen? in mien se koi bhi activity muscle ke liye better nahe hae. kamal ho gaya loggon to basis knowledge hee nahe hae.:rolleyes:
    Issi duniya me rahta hun bhai, but somebody told me that in order to tone calf and thigh muscles (important for climbing and trecking), one should walk more...... hence the question.... Please provide the basic knowledge.

Quote Originally Posted by vjphoughat View Post

Arya sahab......swaad loo soo ke balka ke.....:D

mainne teh lagta nahi ...itni speed teh road pe chaale teh kimme hoga.......:rolleyes:

Badiya result laan tai mere dhore 2-3 sujhav se sai....jai kamal lage teh soch liooo....

• par itni e speed teh ret me chaloge teh baat alag sai......
    Naa bhai suwad naa leta kati, genuine baat sai jyan tahinye boojoon sun..
    Aapke baki points bahut hhi badhiya hain , lekin kya kandhe par kutch rakh lene se spinal cord par asar nahin padega

Quote Originally Posted by nitindev View Post
    Start with a) and work towards b). Also you may need to bring in more variety in your workout, to foster the fitness and boost overall health. Just
    want to say one thing that take appropriate care, specially if you plan to run on road. I suffered from ITB - problem because had I ignored some early symptoms and overlooked few important things such as - quality of shoes, stress, uneven roads. etc. Btw where do you plan to work out, gym?
    BTW you are right, it is Gym, but doesn't the brisk walking on roads also improves your breathing pattern and tone up the calf muscle.

Thanks Sumit, Siddharth and Poonam for your valuable contributions..