Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: The rise of Mughals in India

Hello Ravi Chaudhary,

You have properly analysed the causes of the defeat of the Indian side. it may be added here that Babur was one of the best and seasoned generals of his time of Asia who was opposed by immature but the brave Ibrahim Lodhi. It is wrong to assume that Indian were in any way inferior to the Mughals. You have rightly said that superior weaponry was one among the causes of his victory.

I would like to share with you what I have read on the topic though I am not a person with military background.

That one cannot under estimate the tactics adopted by Babur before going to war against either Ibrahim Lodhi in 1526 at Panipat or Maharana Sanga in 1527 at Khanwah near Agra i.e. his field placement in "Tulughnamah" format. According to this Babur got dug a deep ditch 'Khai' and thatched it with trunks of trees and grass in front of his main arm and put his carts towards his army formation and behind them put his artillery. he then divided his army in three parts one each led by his trusted generals on right and left flanks and he himself kept a portion under his own command as reserve which was used w hen his own two battalions and the enemy forces had tired. This tactic brought the desired results of not only annihilating the opponents but also giving a psychological touch to the scene of battle as these fresh soldiers used to be more agile and quick to move where they were much needed. Rest of the butchering was done by his famous topachies/gunners Mustafa etc.

Regards,

Dr.Raj Pal Singh

2. The Following User Says Thank You to DrRajpalSingh For This Useful Post:

preetikhatri (November 26th, 2011)

Zahiruddin Mohommad Babur

Here are some facts gathered my me

1. Father's name : Umar Sheikh Mirza

2.Hailed from a small principality named Farghana in Badakshan[the common point between the borders of Uzbekistan, Kyrgyzstan and Tajikistan] पैत्रिक भूमि of the Mughals.

3. was fascinated was the conquests and tales of Timur

4. After successful defeats of the kingdom ultimately Succeeded his father at the age of 12 when the kingdom was about to fall. Some how managed to thwart regular murder attempts from conspiring relatives.

5. 1494 - won Samarkand at 17 years of age,dwelled kingdomless for the upcoming 10 years, when finally captured kabul. After that he turned his attention towards India whose riches has always fascinated him

Babur as the legend says was a very quick learner and an excellent observer. He had gathered many different kinds of soldiers until his siege of kabul and learned various disciplines of war from them, namely

Tulghuma [art of army setup and arrangement on the battle field] from Uzbeks
    Ambuscade from Mongols
    Use of fire arms from Afghans
    Use of artillery from Persians
    Use of Chivalry from Turks[they had the best of horses]

Babur also was very good at using all the above effectively on the battle field, upon which he defeated armies double-triple in size than that of his.

There are two basic reasons behind foreign conquests of India:
    1. Excellent cavalry
    2. Superior archers

Dear Friend,
    Congrts. You have provided us with excellent facts about Babur and his growth as a leader of the soldiers.

But it is not easy to agree that the only two facts helped him win India because it is oversimplification of the historical facts. in retrospect, there were certain objective conditions of the India of those days which cumulatively paved way for his victory like his use of gunners and archers, horses, his own superb leadership in comparison to disarrayed Indian leadership and demoralized feudal forces, afghan leaders appetite for the seat of Delhi, promise of help against Sultan Ibrahim Lodhi to Babur by Daulat Khan Lodhi (the Subhadar of the Punjab) and of course by Maharana Sanga Of Chittor, all these factors created favourable conditions for his victory at Panipat and subsequently in his three other important engagements against the indigenous forces of the day.

Regards,

Dr. Raj Pal Singh

thank you Sir

right, Babur had many favors, as you mentioned above

Quote Originally Posted by thukrela View Post
    thank you Sir

right, Babur had many favors, as you mentioned above
    But Baur's son Humayun was defeated and driven away from India by Sher Khan who became emperor of Delhi assuming title of Sher Shah Suri. He established second Afghan Empire but his dynasty proved weak before the Mughals as Humayun reappeared on the scene well equipped with Iranian equipments and recaptured Delhi and Agra from the Afghans in 1555 A.D.
    History is best when created, better when re-constructed and worst when invented.

Quote Originally Posted by DrRajpalSingh View Post
    But Baur's son Humayun was defeated and driven away from India by Sher Khan who became emperor of Delhi assuming title of Sher Shah Suri. He established second Afghan Empire but his dynasty proved weak before the Mughals as Humayun reappeared on the scene well equipped with Iranian equipments and recaptured Delhi and Agra from the Afghans in 1555 A.D.
    Rajpal sir
    for that you have to learn art of war.tacticts apllied by an force can differ and where result change.During akbar reign its considerd that he would have won whole europe if he wished.Baaber came to india to fight lodhi with 800 machlocks made in adam khel darra thanks

Quote Originally Posted by agodara View Post
    Rajpal sir
    for that you have to learn art of war.tacticts apllied by an force can differ and where result change.During akbar reign its considerd that he would have won whole europe if he wished.Baaber came to india to fight lodhi with 800 machlocks made in adam khel darra thanks
    Leave aside winning 'whole Europe', Akbar could not establish his empire over all India.
    History is best when created, better when re-constructed and worst when invented.

Leave aside winning 'whole Europe', Akbar could not establish his empire over all India.
    Rajpal sir
    i said said its considered.akber could not won whole of india and that is truth i agree with you.Can you shed light on what kind of weapons haumaun broght from iran and that was cause of mughals win over suris as sher sha died way back in 1545 thanks

Rajpal sir
    i said said its considered.akber could not won whole of india and that is truth i agree with you.Can you shed light on what kind of weapons haumaun broght from iran and that was cause of mughals win over suris as sher sha died way back in 1945 thanks

Quote Originally Posted by agodara View Post
    Rajpal sir
    i said said its considered.akber could not won whole of india and that is truth i agree with you.Can you shed light on what kind of weapons haumaun broght from iran and that was cause of mughals win over suris as sher sha died way back in 1945 thanks
    Shershah Suri Died in 1545 not in 1945.

Humayun brought no special armament but made a spirited bid to contest against the then weakling Suri ruler, snatched Delhi and Agra from them in 1555 AD.

Shershah Suri Died in 1545 not in 1945.

Humayun brought no special armament but made a spirited bid to contest against the then weakling Suri ruler, snatched Delhi and Agra from them in 1555 AD.
    Though the Suri dynasty was weakened due to internal feuds, Humayan did bring with him around 15000 Persian cavalry alongwith a retinue of Persian generals and nobles. This must have greatly increased his military strength.
    Pagdi Sambhal Jatta..!