Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Word of the Day !

Email Verification Pending
    Login to view details.

Thumbs up Word of the Day !

This thread is to be taken as constructive endeavors to be useful for members.

The thread can be used as a Lexicon , where lexical rules to identify word usage would be presented which can improve over all vocabulary.

The thread can also be used to present a word , which can be simple/complex , common/rare , in corporate usage/at times colloquial with example of appropriate usage and if required the origin of the word or the trivia attached.

Please post the words(especially difficult) along with its meanings. It may help to improve our vocabulary and also will help the people who preparing for exams, and essayists etc.

Login to view details.
    PUSILLANIMOUS--cowardly

he ran away pusillanimously as he had no guts to face the public !!

Login to view details.
    Tacit Knowledge

By definition, tacit knowledge is knowledge that people carry in their minds and is, therefore, difficult to access. Often, people are not aware of the knowledge they possess or how it can be valuable to others.

"We know more than we can tell."

Knowledge that is easy to communicate is called explicit knowledge.

The process of transforming tacit knowledge into explicit knowledge is known as codification or articulation.

Login to view details.
    Vitiate

-- to spoil, make faulty
    "It was such a case of vitiated judgment.."
    --Latin origin from the word 'Vitiare'

Login to view details.
    debonair (fr)

–adjective 1. courteous, gracious, and having a sophisticated charm: a debonair gentleman.

2. jaunty; carefree; sprightly.

Also, deb·o·naire, deb·on·naire.

Synonyms 1. urbane, suave, elegant, polished.

Login to view details.
    I would look forward see some more replies.

Quote Originally Posted by Lavisha View Post
    I would look forward see some more replies.
    good work lavisha ji
    mere jasio ke liye accha hai jinhe english nhi ati
    thnx

Nice thread Lavisha..... dictionary reading is my fav. pastime and i always note difficult words in my mobile whenever n where ever i see n like an unusual word. My word of today is- Preposterous(adjective)- Utterly absurd or ridiculous.
    Usage- The secretary gave a preposterous suggestion.
    I AM WHAT I AM....JAT.... 16X2=8

Login to view details.
    alacrity

1.A cheerful or eager readiness or willingness, often manifested by brisk, lively action or promptness in response.

So, I am sure that I was thrilled when I got the letter offering me the fellowship and equally sure that I wrote back to accept with alacrity.
    -- Joan L. Richards, Angles of Reflection

Origin:
    Alacrity comes from Latin alacritas, from alacer, "lively."

Leel good one....I'm looking forword to get some more from you...really
    Quote Originally Posted by anilsinghd View Post
    alacrity

1.A cheerful or eager readiness or willingness, often manifested by brisk, lively action or promptness in response.

So, I am sure that I was thrilled when I got the letter offering me the fellowship and equally sure that I wrote back to accept with alacrity.

Origin:

Login to view details.
    Lavisha -

Forgot which language it is but is a kind of thing which brings Luck !

alacrity

Origin:
    And, as expected, Anil took to the new thread on "word of the day" with alacrity.

Login to view details.
    Quote Originally Posted by kapil.dalal View Post
    And, as expected, Anil took to the new thread on "word of the day" with alacrity.
    Saachi bataoon to dictionary.com jo google ka pehla result hai uska word of day tha alacrity !! :o dikh gaya to chep diya

Login to view details.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lavisha View Post
    Lavisha -

Forgot which language it is but is a kind of thing which brings Luck !
    lavish
    adj. 1. Characterized by or produced with extravagance and profusion: a lavish buffet. See Synonyms at profuse.
    2. Immoderate in giving or bestowing; unstinting: The critics were lavish with their praise.

manne tai jaani ki lavish ka lavisha bana diya !!! :o

why not take the subscription of "My Word Day"....they will send u one word per day
    "Every Man alone is sincere.At the entrance of second person hypocrisy begins"

Ya tai rolli hai...mere mai bhi aa rya hai yohe.....apni choice ke likhe nai please
    Saachi bataoon to dictionary.com jo google ka pehla result hai uska word of day tha alacrity !! :o dikh gaya to chep diya

Login to view details.
    Quote Originally Posted by sunitahooda View Post
    Ya tai rolli hai...mere mai bhi aa rya hai yohe.....apni choice ke likhe nai please
    Frankly my English is very limited. I never learnt English the proper way.

This was my way of English Learning:
    From the "Guide" , try and rattofy the answers , if not ,then pick up a few important words and their meanings from each answer. Also at least learn the answer of the question in "Hindi".
    Then in exams , make my own sentences in English for the "hindi" I know of the answer and make sure to punch in those "hand-picked" words somewhere ( by hook or crook) in the answer , kind of like decorating the answer!

I do not have any sense of tenses and blah blah , just that it came by practice. Now am getting conscious of my English. :D

I will try to put in some words that I regualrly use.

Frankly my English is very limited. I never learnt English the proper way.
    Truely said :D......as its not 'my English is limited' but its my vocab. is limited :p

waise, I also have the same reply (my vocab is poor)....n till now only word I knew is LAVISH.....baaki Sunita wala bhi seekhne mein jyada asaan lag raha hai :D

anyways, good thread Lavisha...looking forward for more of such kind

Login to view details.
    Redemption

A Noun

To Redeem Oneself

Redeem = save, rescue or reclaim

Login to view details.
    Hippopotomonstrosesquippedaliophobia: fear of long worde

n this is the longest word i've come across