Thread: Sholay in Haryana (and not Ramgarh)

Sholay in Haryana (and not Ramgarh)

As this post is both related to current affairs as well as social responsibility, I have posted them in both sections.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------

If you ask most Indians above the age of 25 what is one of their favourite 'old' Hindi movies, you'll find that Sholay is a common favourite. What is Sholay about? Fighting the 'bad guy'. Or in more glamourous terms, Jay (Amitabh Bachhan) and Veeru (Dharmendra) fighting Gabbar Singh (Amjad Khan). Throughout the movie, the principles of honesty, hard work, kindness, generosity and respect for people and their lives are emphasised. Another striking point being made is not to take by force or through deceit that which is not yours.

For those not acquainted with Sholay, but perhaps with Harry Potter? Similar principles, similar story. Lord Voldemort (or the dark lord) vs Harry & Dumbledore.

Are you exercising these principles in your life? Are you raising your children to follow these principles? What about the people in your extended family and friends? How about the neighbours?

Rumor has it that in Haryana, a very rich BJP candidate is planning to pay off villagers to buy their votes. Will the villagers stand their ground? Will they fight for honesty and truth and not give in to the very temporary money thrown at them? (Would you, if you were in their place?). Would you vote for Gabbar Singh/ Lord Voldemort if he promised you money?

Do I hear you say what's new about this? Well, these are the people who first start by running the constituency, then the state and then the country. Would you trust Gabbar Singh/ Lord Voldemort with giving him a chance at such power?

I hear that a very peaceful and fair opposition such as distributing flyers and posters was made. However said candidate and his minions decided to beat the crap out of the protestors with threats of further severe treatment after the election is over. Reminds me of Mahatma Gandhi vs Britishers back in 1940s. Were you outraged when you studied modern Indian history? Would you be outraged now at this same incident? Wouldn't it have been more fair to contest the protest in a peaceful manner? Or were the bad guys scared of the truth getting out? The truth gets out. Always. No matter how much anyone tries to hide it.

Thieves who start stealing once, never look back. Why is it that thieves who steal Rs. 2 lacs find themselves in jail while the biggest thieves stealing crores of rupees from the government (tax payers money. YOUR money.) roam freely with PRIDE even and the staunch belief that nothing and nobody can touch them? How many such people do you know by name? Especially in Haryana? Why are we putting up with this? Is it because well, 'we've got nothing to do with it'? Every action has a ripple effect even if you may not comprehend the range and impact at the moment. You may not feel the impact yourself, but perhaps your kids will. Would you support someone who has the courage to fight against such thieves?

What are you giving your kids? How are you making them the best people they can be? Are you teaching your kids to stand up for themselves and to fight for the things that really matter and not petty issues? Are YOU fighting for what matters? In today's world, who has your support? Gabbar Singh or people like Veeru and Jai? Be honest. There is nothing to be ashamed of, or is there?

People in Delhi and Haryana and other parts of India worry about their safety. What if they get robbed? What if they get attacked or murdered? Majority of the crimes are committed by known people mainly out of jealousy. Do you have good relations with your family and friends? Can you trust them if you were in need of help and support? Would they give you their staunch support out of love, compassion and respect for you? Would you give them yours? Yes or no? How many people do you know who have suffered such anguish?

One of the many things that my grandfather taught me was 'any idea that you can conceive and believe, you can also achieve'. It is considered obvious that the road will be far from easy. If you had to choose between two ideas: one on good, the other evil, which party has your support? Do you have the courage to support either of them? If you didn't know which party to support can you atleast identify which party you should definitely not support? Would a 5 year old know?

If Jatland is the voice of Jats, I would like to hear it now.

Bad Man fights with Bad Man ; thats what Sholay told us decades before. A good man is too fragile to get broken with a strong bad man. A bad man who is good to common man has always been glamourous and attractive to junta. Strong Good and efficient Man is the answer and much required in each household to project the healthy and strong values.Quite opposite to that in real life Gabbar Singhs always win over coward good man. Things turns out when a Strong Good Man comes in picture. In politics, as you mentioned, there is difference , the same difference which is there between Saanpnath and Naagnath. So supporting the one with less venom is key. But there out look are so sweet and enticing that a common man falls prey often.

By the way, why didn't you mention the name of that rich BJP candidate? Let me say they are- Capt. Abhimanyu and Naresh Malik. Believe me in Narnaund constituency where Capt Abhimanyu tried this scene but to no success. People are no absolute anywhere except graveyard. Few Good, few bad, few neutral.

Evil is neccessary so that good has its existence or let me say Good's existence is depend on Bad. Like Khalil Gibran put it. So there would be crimes which are manifestations of primary inherent motivations like greed, jealously as you put it. I am not glorifying the bad rather stating what it is in the ongoings of world.

Yes, I do agree about children. A strong parenthood would make a child in to a strong individual to learn the ever mysterious life and to survive successfuly in Darwin's species theory. 300 spartan movie projects the exposure of children to adverse situations of survival where they get immune to anything. Can we do it? Rather Should we do that?

A questioning strong citizen is the answer you were looking for.

By the way, have you ever been a part of electoral process in India? Those ques in moist and dampen rooms of govt. schools?
    "All I am trying to do is bridge the gap between Jats and Rest of World"

As I shall imagine, so shall I become.

Do you have the courage to support either of them? If you didn't know which party to support can you atleast identify which party you should definitely not support? Would a 5 year old know?
    Majority of People have made their identity in villages/small cities by inviting Politicians on Tea/Lunch etc. Now common trend but hard fact spreading these practices at a very high speed----
    Apne to Apne Hote Hain

Dear Mr. Kadian,

Thank you for being the first person to voice your thoughts in reply!! I also appreciate the interesting points you have made.

I wouldn't say bad man vs. bad man. But rather, a man with a good heart who is not scared to bend the rules a little bit for a good outcome. Indeed I agree it is the responsibility of the household, and ultimately the parents and grandparents as to the values they instill in their offsprings as well as the courage to correct if they are doing something wrong. As Aryans/Hindus, we are lucky that much of our religion and prayers focus on the deeds of man rather than only 'gods'. Yet, there is much that is wrong in one way or another in almost every Jat family.

In current politics, you are right, the decision would be based on the candidate with less venom. Expecting the 'perfect' politicians who are written about in history is unrealistic. But there are many good people who avoid politics because it is a dirty game and requires tremendous courage and aggressiveness from people who are honest.

I didn't want to mention Capt. Abhimanyu's name because I wanted to see whether anybody identifies him on their own :-) I have written a new post now that reveals much. You are invited to read it. (http://www.jatland.com/forums/showthread.php?t=28651)

You hit the nail right on the head by referring to Darwin's theory. Life is about survival of the fittest, whether in India or overseas. To face challenges (whether emotional, physical, mental, financial or even spiritual) it is of paramount importance to bring up your child in a way that helps them to be a strong adult. Are Panchatantra tales, Mahabharat, Ramayan as popular today as they were when I was a kid? But this responsibility does not stop when the child grows up. Rather, it is a continuous 'supporting cycle' where parents and children even as adults support each other through difficult times and encourage each other to face their challenges head on and not lose hope. Instead, too often, family members tend to turn on each other.

Ref: 300 the movie. It is one of my favourite movies. Decision making is tricky and is based on many things. No one rule applies. At the end of the day, we have to weigh the odds and play the balancing game, based on the information available at the time as well as the experience we gain through life. There is always a risk and the best we can do is try and control the risk as much as possible. As one of my friends who is an expert at probability and statistics would say, every decision is like making a bet. You can act too safe or minimise the risk and you can still loose or win small. You can risk it all and loose or win big. Trying to find a medium risk where you still have good chances of a decent win is a challenge. It also involves our personality too and our upbringing which dictate the path we follow.

Regarding my ever having voted in India. In all honesty, no not yet. But it is not because of how long the queues might be or the environmental conditions. I have not been in India around election time because of studies and work (internships, part-time work). I am trying to see if there is anyway by which I could cast my vote here. (Please don't generalise about how I won't know about India because I am overseas etc. Living overseas is not devoid of its own challenges :-) )

Best Wishes, Aakanksha

Dear Mr. Hooda,

Direct campaigning to voters has always been a key part of a politician promoting himself/ herself or the party being represented. What would be very beneficial is having debates between candidates. Constructive, effective, meaningful debates on the issues on the parties' manifesto that are then broadcasted over the radio, TV and the internet as well as published on paper. This should also be followed by objective reviews of the debates, the way it is done in America. Their system or politicians are not perfect but I do appreciate the straightforward debates.

Best Wishes, Aakanksha

Quote Originally Posted by aakankshac View Post
    Dear Mr. Kadian,

Thank you for being the first person to voice your thoughts in reply!! I also appreciate the interesting points you have made.

I wouldn't say bad man vs. bad man. But rather, a man with a good heart who is not scared to bend the rules a little bit for a good outcome. Indeed I agree it is the responsibility of the household, and ultimately the parents and grandparents as to the values they instill in their offsprings as well as the courage to correct if they are doing something wrong. As Aryans/Hindus, we are lucky that much of our religion and prayers focus on the deeds of man rather than only 'gods'. Yet, there is much that is wrong in one way or another in almost every Jat family.

In current politics, you are right, the decision would be based on the candidate with less venom. Expecting the 'perfect' politicians who are written about in history is unrealistic. But there are many good people who avoid politics because it is a dirty game and requires tremendous courage and aggressiveness from people who are honest.

I didn't want to mention Capt. Abhimanyu's name because I wanted to see whether anybody identifies him on their own :-) I have written a new post now that reveals much. You are invited to read it. (http://www.jatland.com/forums/showthread.php?t=28651)

You hit the nail right on the head by referring to Darwin's theory. Life is about survival of the fittest, whether in India or overseas. To face challenges (whether emotional, physical, mental, financial or even spiritual) it is of paramount importance to bring up your child in a way that helps them to be a strong adult. Are Panchatantra tales, Mahabharat, Ramayan as popular today as they were when I was a kid? But this responsibility does not stop when the child grows up. Rather, it is a continuous 'supporting cycle' where parents and children even as adults support each other through difficult times and encourage each other to face their challenges head on and not lose hope. Instead, too often, family members tend to turn on each other.

Ref: 300 the movie. It is one of my favourite movies. Decision making is tricky and is based on many things. No one rule applies. At the end of the day, we have to weigh the odds and play the balancing game, based on the information available at the time as well as the experience we gain through life. There is always a risk and the best we can do is try and control the risk as much as possible. As one of my friends who is an expert at probability and statistics would say, every decision is like making a bet. You can act too safe or minimise the risk and you can still loose or win small. You can risk it all and loose or win big. Trying to find a medium risk where you still have good chances of a decent win is a challenge. It also involves our personality too and our upbringing which dictate the path we follow.

Regarding my ever having voted in India. In all honesty, no not yet. But it is not because of how long the queues might be or the environmental conditions. I have not been in India around election time because of studies and work (internships, part-time work). I am trying to see if there is anyway by which I could cast my vote here. (Please don't generalise about how I won't know about India because I am overseas etc. Living overseas is not devoid of its own challenges :-) )

Best Wishes, Aakanksha

True and to the point.Wise people refuse to play to the gallery.In India 80 % people are uneducated and elections are won by them.20% people who can exercise their gray matter and vote do not find it appropriate to go and vote as in any case it will not make any difference as 80% votes are purchased by these politicians with few coins,a darru ka bottal,or with the help of a dandda.This scenario suits these ugly thugs called politicians and they are making most of it.After all we are basically Ghulaam and will remain so ever.All the best POLITICIANS......have a ball.

Email Verification Pending
    Login to view details.
    Wooh !! I love it when I see posts like these and new faces just add more to the excitement!

Aakansha, perhaps a lil too late as the election day is now very close but something is better than nothing always! I am with Samar on this that these moves like giving money does not work always and the trend would be on these kind of tricks getting less effective going forward.

Regarding a general view on what you said , I think we have no one else than us to blame on the current situation. We all "talk" a lot but do little.
    But the trend is changing and we all should take responsibility on keeping this changing trend. Samar nailed it when he said a "questioning" strong men , I would add to it saying we need to be aware political activist and some that have the capacity should take that step forward.

Was very interesting on how one should make their bets , I would say "leverage" is a term one must really think of while living "life". when one is a kid/student , leverage is essentially 1 (you can study hard and make your future , that secures good living for oneself and so leverage is one).
    When one is in a family life , for a normal guy leverage is 4-5 ( = size of the family ) , since one can make living worth for his family at least.
    Now is the idea to increase leverage , there are many ways to do that , e.g. you do some charity and social work and help let say 20 people and so your leverage is ~20 , you become a civil servant , and you can get a better life for more people , you become a politician and your leverage is huge. You can really make it worth for many. I think one's endeavour should be on increasing leverage , though I am not recommending to go all in once. Have your risk budget defined and then produce a leverage as per that , with time , you can increase your risk budget and also can try to hedge yourself agaisnt fat tails.

Amongst all this the minimum one can do is to make informed choices and have a vision which is forward looking. The reason I say this is that most of us have a tendency to be bookish about things and look at many things with predefined notions. We all must look for ooportunities to do our bit and be sensible and rational on things , I am sure rest will follow automatically.

@ Samar : Boy , you nailed that good , bad and more bad very well. Agreed with you on that , a common man is too scared to do even right.
    Last edited by anilsinghd; October 12th, 2009 at 03:14 AM.

Your start off with Rumor has it , didn't bother to read anything after that,, We should not indulge in spreading rumours should we?

Just my thoughts...
    Last edited by sandeepkadian05; October 12th, 2009 at 03:23 AM. Reason: spelling corrected

Not a rumour but the truth. I was just waiting for someone else to identify the person first.
    Refer: post on Capt. Abhimanyu & family.

Spread the truth.

Very well put penned down aakanksha, only point i'd like to put across here is that there's a marked difference between India and America as most of the people know how to exercise their votes and people and not that very biased as we indians are.
    There's no magic wand with any govt that in 5 yrs they'll change the whole state; it takes more than that and for bringing about a change, first thing that's ought to be done is to make some policies and explain it to people how the Govt plan to do certain things, but then comes the real challenge. Will the people of the state be able to understand how these policies can do them some good. You can take a cue from this only; there's a thread going on Haryana Assembly Elections 09: Khabar, Zayza, Mahol, Halaat!, with which supposedly educated people of this society are involved. You can read it and make out where the state's heading; though there are some neutral and positive views for the state(in particular), u can imagine what's going on with the people of rural haryana. What will be the fate of a politician who's forthright.
    Only thing which is at the back of my mind right now is a post by Atanu dey, in which he's explained this political system very correctly. There are no politicians or parties, there are only bandits. That too of two kind; stationary and roving. Stationary one's know that they'll be empowered for a longer period of time, so they make public facilities for which the support is to be provided by private sectors and they get their due from there but slowly as it takes time. Roving bandits know that they have a short life at one place and they rob people of any and everything they can and then move to some place or some other agenda.
    Now its for us to decide what we ought to choose.
    I know it all is a bit cluttered but i'll request all to bare it for my sake.

Regards
    Vivek

Dear Mr. Hooda,

Direct campaigning to voters has always been a key part of a politician promoting himself/ herself or the party being represented. What would be very beneficial is having debates between candidates. Constructive, effective, meaningful debates on the issues on the parties' manifesto that are then broadcasted over the radio, TV and the internet as well as published on paper. This should also be followed by objective reviews of the debates, the way it is done in America. Their system or politicians are not perfect but I do appreciate the straightforward debates.

Best Wishes, Aakanksha
    Last edited by vivekmalik05; October 12th, 2009 at 08:43 PM.

As this post is both related to current affairs as well as social responsibility, I have posted them in both sections.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------

If you ask most Indians above the age of 25 what is one of their favourite 'old' Hindi movies, you'll find that Sholay is a common favourite. What is Sholay about? Fighting the 'bad guy'. Or in more glamourous terms, Jay (Amitabh Bachhan) and Veeru (Dharmendra) fighting Gabbar Singh (Amjad Khan). Throughout the movie, the principles of honesty, hard work, kindness, generosity and respect for people and their lives are emphasised. Another striking point being made is not to take by force or through deceit that which is not yours.

For those not acquainted with Sholay, but perhaps with Harry Potter? Similar principles, similar story. Lord Voldemort (or the dark lord) vs Harry & Dumbledore.

Are you exercising these principles in your life? Are you raising your children to follow these principles? What about the people in your extended family and friends? How about the neighbours?

Rumor has it that in Haryana, a very rich BJP candidate is planning to pay off villagers to buy their votes. Will the villagers stand their ground? Will they fight for honesty and truth and not give in to the very temporary money thrown at them? (Would you, if you were in their place?). Would you vote for Gabbar Singh/ Lord Voldemort if he promised you money?

Do I hear you say what's new about this? Well, these are the people who first start by running the constituency, then the state and then the country. Would you trust Gabbar Singh/ Lord Voldemort with giving him a chance at such power?

I hear that a very peaceful and fair opposition such as distributing flyers and posters was made. However said candidate and his minions decided to beat the crap out of the protestors with threats of further severe treatment after the election is over. Reminds me of Mahatma Gandhi vs Britishers back in 1940s. Were you outraged when you studied modern Indian history? Would you be outraged now at this same incident? Wouldn't it have been more fair to contest the protest in a peaceful manner? Or were the bad guys scared of the truth getting out? The truth gets out. Always. No matter how much anyone tries to hide it.

Thieves who start stealing once, never look back. Why is it that thieves who steal Rs. 2 lacs find themselves in jail while the biggest thieves stealing crores of rupees from the government (tax payers money. YOUR money.) roam freely with PRIDE even and the staunch belief that nothing and nobody can touch them? How many such people do you know by name? Especially in Haryana? Why are we putting up with this? Is it because well, 'we've got nothing to do with it'? Every action has a ripple effect even if you may not comprehend the range and impact at the moment. You may not feel the impact yourself, but perhaps your kids will. Would you support someone who has the courage to fight against such thieves?

What are you giving your kids? How are you making them the best people they can be? Are you teaching your kids to stand up for themselves and to fight for the things that really matter and not petty issues? Are YOU fighting for what matters? In today's world, who has your support? Gabbar Singh or people like Veeru and Jai? Be honest. There is nothing to be ashamed of, or is there?

People in Delhi and Haryana and other parts of India worry about their safety. What if they get robbed? What if they get attacked or murdered? Majority of the crimes are committed by known people mainly out of jealousy. Do you have good relations with your family and friends? Can you trust them if you were in need of help and support? Would they give you their staunch support out of love, compassion and respect for you? Would you give them yours? Yes or no? How many people do you know who have suffered such anguish?

One of the many things that my grandfather taught me was 'any idea that you can conceive and believe, you can also achieve'. It is considered obvious that the road will be far from easy. If you had to choose between two ideas: one on good, the other evil, which party has your support? Do you have the courage to support either of them? If you didn't know which party to support can you atleast identify which party you should definitely not support? Would a 5 year old know?

If Jatland is the voice of Jats, I would like to hear it now.

Everything agreed upon akanksha. It was unfair and i believe everyone around is aware as to what has happened. No disrespect to you and your views, but i still believe its not a platform to wash dirty linen

Login to view details.
    This thread is one of the most intellectual stimulating one in the recent time. Everybody has a point of view here which is true. Totally agree with all you guys.
    But at the end, i am left a little bit confused. How can you contribute positively? Closest was "leverage theory" i.e. we all decide the level to which we wish to participate in contributing to our society.

Bandits - roving and static is too sarcastic and laughable. A few are spending their lives in order to make our lives better. Manmohan singh is one. Advani, except for burning ambition to be PM is definitely not after money. Gandhi family is also seems to be clean ? Hooda's are doing okay and power and money has not floored them much- they remain humble and approachable and sends positive vibes. Off cource, we remain human and as long as there is general sense of helpful attitude and positive outlook - a politician is acceptable.

My verdict is to choose the best amongst worst and hope that he will have a change of mind sooner or later (beauty of positive thinking).

last but not the least - Jump in guys, Be the system if u dont accept the way it is.
    On the hind sight, beware of power it corrupts.
    Last edited by rameshlakra; October 12th, 2009 at 11:29 PM.

It has become almost impossible for a decent person to even think of getting into election fray.Elections today mean muscle power,lots of AWWARRA paissa,gundagardi,farse,lies,deciet,cheating,doubl e standards and much more dirt.Hence the plateform is out for good people and all these politicians know that...it suits them fine.They will keep playing this gulli-dandda and enjoy life.

Login to view details.
    Quote Originally Posted by rameshlakra View Post
    last but not the least - Jump in guys, Be the system if u dont accept the way it is.
    On the hind sight, beware of power it corrupts.
    Yes, agreed , power can be corrosive , but then basics of financial theory tell us that expected returns increase with increase in risk. Ofcourse there is a point after which the returns are on the decline ( ~ gambler's ruin). As I said earlier , know your leverage and risk budget and just DO IT.

If you do not believe that you can be a able administrator , perfectly fine! everybody cannot be a leader. But make sure you do your duties well , know about politics , people , leaders , their background , their work , their ideology , people close to them and so on. Be inquisitive , ask questions.

Quote Originally Posted by rajesh00 View Post
    It has become almost impossible for a decent person to even think of getting into election fray.
    agreed but it has been that ways because we the "common man" think and believe it that ways! slam your local MLA from a big parrty once , get him defeated and he will come out with plans to do something for you. do not be quiet over the 5 years , I am sure that no MLA can deny the voice of 100 people together. Bottom line , he needs to be re-elected. Make him fear of his seat. Why do people prefer MNCs ? It is because of competition. We have got Indian politics to a point where we do not think beyond Congress and BJP.
    Do not we know that peoplee pay crores to the congress/bjp top leaders to get the party ticket? I must ask WHY?

Why cannot we make sure that money or some part of it is spent on general welfare? Look around for opportunities , send a stong message that it is not PARTY but WORK that is apprecaited.
    Be forward looking , be proactive, you get a couple of people who have done good wuality work elected and see the change for yourself.

Sholay in Haryana

Its true that corruption has spread into the veins of our society. There was a time when people criticised corruption and bribery but now a days these are considered necessary evils to the extent that corrupt business man and politicians wear a veil of respectability with the power of money. What can we expect when to get even a constable or soldier's job you have to give bribe. But everyone is not corrupt and there are honest and god fearing people because of whom our country is surviving.It is only the people who can bring change and the first step is to choose the right candidates. To contest as an independent candidate you do not need much money. Indian democracy is called the biggest and greatest democracy in the world because election results have always surprised us.So many times governments have been changed peacefully by the people in elections. This strength of the people makes our leaders come begging to the common man for votes after every five years .They try every move to woo them. Its the duty and right of every citizen to cast his or her to the right person . Every drop of water contributes to fill an ocean. It is high time that our people realize this otherwise the day will not be far when our neighbors like Pakistan and china will become successful in their efforts to break our sovereignty.

Aakanksha Beta,
    Very good thread.
    I have not seen an article of this size, specially from a young female for a long time.
    Congatulations
    Can u also write on life of Ch. Priya Vart Ji.
    regards
    Ishwar Lamba
    Understand = Under + Stand

Exclamation Mods - Where is this thread?

Best Wishes, Aakanksha
    To my knowledge on Jatland one can't delete a thread. Where is the thread mentioned in the link?

Mods - could you please clear the picture, can a person request to get a thread deleted now on JL or could he do so by his own?

I was in wait of replies from this Chikkara family on that thread. But never saw any post and now when I searched for the same it is not there. This is not good, they have spitted in full on the face of Abhimanyu and sindhu family but when some questions were raised they never returned back? Atleast they should clear the inner picture.