Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: How to improve english writing skills?

Hola Deepshi, Feliz Diwali!
    Attention seekers and attention getters are two different class of people.

My friend did his schooling from Hindi medium school and that too from a very remote village in Bihar. Infact his School didn't even has concrete walls. Then he took admission in Engg College and later was selected in IISC Banglore. He had lots of issues with English but he was persistent. He applied to University in USA but could not pass the Toefl but tried again and made it through. Now he is here, and his English is pretty decent.

The point is that don't get discouraged by your Hindi Medium Background, just be persistent and be patient. I would say - "Speaking and reading is the key"

Quote Originally Posted by daksa View Post
    thanks a lot to all of you for you kind suggestions.
    @ Abhimanyu, kapil,
    the problem is due to being from Hindi medium, while writing i do some Hindi to English translation and which makes the sentences inappropriate,
    as far as reading is concern i do a lot and watching TV news also.

Kapil can you suggest any platform where i can get reply on post with rectification, if it is paid service than also it is ok.

@ meenakshiji,

i am trying to wright but checking of material is the issue.

@ millu,

i am little bit ok in speaking though now i will concentrate on it also.

@Nishant,

i will try both writing and speaking and JL thread advised by you may be helpfull to me.
    Last edited by nitindev; October 18th, 2009 at 03:06 AM.

Smile

Dear all,

I want to improve my English writing skills.
    I have tried newspaper reading, watching news etc etc, but still feel a lot of improvement is required.

Looking forward for suggestions and guidance.

Thanks and regards,
    Dakshant Choudhary.

Hii Dakshant,

See this link....may be helpful for you.

http://www.englishclub.com/
    VIRENDER SINGH RATHEE

me_rathee@yahoo.co.in

"Success is never ending. Failure is never final"

ghabrane ke koi baat nahi hai dost.newspaper se acha agar tu english ke novels esp. non-fiction padhega to badhiya rahega. dusra, reader's degest ek magazine aawa hai monthly, wa padha kar. ghana fayeda hoga. If u try to learn english by reading newspapers, u tend to learn a lot of political & other such words which are not used in day-to-day language. u will have difficulty in expressing u r self that way. newspapers report facts but novels express feelings & sitautions. want further help, do contact me.

u r maravillosa y me parece interesante
    Quote Originally Posted by Milu View Post
    -There are no bad people in this world..they are either good or amusing.

...La Vida es Bella....

Pero no doy una mierda wots está debatiendo en este hilo .. pero vamos a ponerlo en marcha
    Quote Originally Posted by Milu View Post
    -There are no bad people in this world..they are either good or amusing.

...La Vida es Bella....

Quote Originally Posted by deepshi View Post
    Pero no doy una mierda wots está debatiendo en este hilo .. pero vamos a ponerlo en marcha

Gran! Feliz aprendizaje
    Gracioso that individual words mean so different than when they are used in a frase- like marcha- the diccionario says it is 'March'.
    Attention seekers and attention getters are two different class of people.

Hi Daksha,
    i believe......"a good learner is one who is willing to make mistake"..........dont hesitate,just think how a baby learn to walk.......how a baby learn to run.......how a baby learn all new tricks in his life........believe in yourself.......thr is a competition......"SPELLING BEE" in UK & US........the countries whr english was born........but today for last 8-10 years it is won by childrens of indian origin............JUST THINK IT OVER!!!!!!!!!!!!
    BELIEVE IN YOURSELF YOU ARE THE BEST.......YOU JUST HAVE TO PROVE IT AND THT IS DONE ONLY IF YOU PUT RIGHT EFFORTS WITHOUT WASTING TIME...............MAAN ---KARMA---WACHAN!!!!!!!!!!

Read TINTIN' books available ONLINE

---
    Read TINTIN' books available ONLINE

Young boy Tintin amazing stories.
    Search google for online pdf ...esnips dot com etc

----

Sheeshe aage khada hoke jor jor te ratte mara kar..
    Aa ja gi ENGLISH.

Ghoom ghoom ke ratte mar le...

Easiest way ...soan te pehle NOVEL padan ki aadat ghal le...like

"Around the world in eighty days"...easy si novel se interesting bhi.

Kise University aale dost te manga liya kar..novel

--------------

Village boys are not weak in english to that extent but weak in knowledge / facts about world....so they feel outside world is havva...

Supply FREE ENCYCLOPEDIA in village libraries
    Those who can.

Atlas map books..
    Maths books like Dr. Maths Forum on net

USA guys can supply mathematics books which are part of curriculum in US schools...to village libraries..

This step is better than awarding SCHOLARSHIPS.
    As it is laid on basics improvement.

Debate

One of the best way is to get involved in online groups, take up any controversial issue and debate on it. Try your best to make your point. It takes a hell lot of energy to convince people, most discussions are futile, but they end up improving your writing skills.

As far as learning Spanish is considered, visit Argentina, and if one wants spanish as well as warmth visit Mexico.

Dear all,

I want to improve my English writing skills.
    I have tried newspaper reading, watching news etc etc, but still feel a lot of improvement is required.

Looking forward for suggestions and guidance.

Thanks and regards,
    Dakshant Choudhary.
    The tendency of abstract thought... to enervate the will is one of the real dangers of the highest education.
    --Mark Pattison, Suggestions on Academical Organisation

Thanks

I would like to thank all fellow Jatlander's for the valuable suggestions and guidance.
    I am working on all options suggested by all of you and really it is benefiting to me a lot.

Thanks and regard,
    Dahshant Choudhary.

Emphasize on Grammar

http://www.thefreedictionary.com/

CHASMA Bhool Mat Jana Bhaiyo

Now-a-days one can download online-dictionary and can use when offline too!

Keith S. Folse, “Top 10: Great Grammar for Great Writing”
    Publisher: Heinle & Heinle Publishers | 2008-12 | ISBN 0618481052
    http://depositfiles.com/en/files/kc37s8jan With
    Answer Key

Grammar Slammer!
    ( Language Software )
    http://downloads.zdnet.com/abstract.aspx?docid=721347

(You have to create username/password for zdnet.com ,
    its a free account ,
    I chose this link as its a software ,.exe file, so secure link is a necessity ) ( For fake username bugmenot.com)

Quote Originally Posted by rekharathee View Post
    how to learn french???
    move to Alliance Francise in South Delhi for French and these courses are valuable all over the world.........
    "Helping hands are better than Praying Lips"

Smile simple 4 words

we r indians and if english is not standard then nothing to worry.
    methods of learning it.
    reading story books with simple English. news paper "the hindu " its the easy one.
    try grammar with the new words in dic. i was not very good with the subject: now i have learn so well that the proverb and all i use in :eek::rock:rock:rock:rock:rock:rock:rockthe sentence.

Simply said by Nitin....."speaking n reading is the key"......just stick to it