Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: How to improve english writing skills?

How to improve english writing skills?

Dear all,

I want to improve my English writing skills.
    I have tried newspaper reading, watching news etc etc, but still feel a lot of improvement is required.

Looking forward for suggestions and guidance.

Thanks and regards,
    Dakshant Choudhary.

Hi Dakshant,

I am not sure what area in 'writing' you think you lack more on. Start writing short and simple sentences and everything will fall in its place. One always enhances his/her foreign language skills with practice. The key is to use right grammar.

Regards,
    Abhimanyu
    note- Your post is well written.
    Quote Originally Posted by daksa View Post
    Dear all,

I have tried newspaper reading, watching news etc etc, but still feel a lot of improvement is required.

Thanks and regards,
    Dakshant Choudhary.
    Of all the things that tax a man's patience, there's nothing to compare with a stuck zipper.

I agree with Abhimanyu. Your post is quite well-written. So have confidence in your ability. It can only get better with practise and there is no upper limit here.

Are you studying or working? Depending on your profession, you should be getting some opportunity to write in terms of project reports, emails, etc. If you don't get ample opportunities in your "official" capacity, then look for new ways- writing emails to friends, posts on online forums like JL, etc.

It also helps to revise and edit your written piece after the original effort. Looking for grammatical errors and spelling mistakes is an obvious thing to do. But it is equally important to look for logical coherence and a consistent/smooth flow of ideas in your written piece. Many a times (and mostly in the beginning), we write whatever comes to our mind. That process is quite jumbled and haphazard. Only when you read the whole piece in entirety, you tend to appreciate which part fits best in what place. It helps to read the whole piece from the point of view of a first time reader. That how easy it is for him to understand what you are trying to communicate and whether it'd be a good experience for him or not.

Between reading and listening, I believe reading helps much more, as what you read influences your writing style directly. You should also look at diverse options- newspapers, books, magazines, online blogs, etc. The style of writing changes a lot from one medium to another as it does from one author to another. This would ensure that your writing style is not overly influenced by any one medium.

I was facing the same when I came in bangalore. I improved it by reading news paper and watching english movies with subtitle. write lines from news papers and movies that you can use in daily use. and try to use that daily it will help alot
    Meenakshi
    :rock

Hello Daksa- Speaking the language will help you write it better.
    All the best!

p.s what does your name mean?

Dear all,

Thanks and regards,
    Dakshant Choudhary.
    There is always a scope of improvement what ever u do. Learning is as on going process.
    Try to write as more as possible and don't hesitate to speak in english.
    Good luck.
    Plant one tree atleast
    and pls save water and electricity

Dear all,

Thanks and regards,
    Dakshant Choudhary.
    This might be helpfull for you pls have a look.
    http://www.jatland.com/forums/showthread.php?t=25379
    Plant one tree atleast
    and pls save water and electricity

Thanks

thanks a lot to all of you for you kind suggestions.
    @ Abhimanyu, kapil,
    the problem is due to being from Hindi medium, while writing i do some Hindi to English translation and which makes the sentences inappropriate,
    as far as reading is concern i do a lot and watching TV news also.

Kapil can you suggest any platform where i can get reply on post with rectification, if it is paid service than also it is ok.

@ meenakshiji,

i am trying to wright but checking of material is the issue.

@ millu,

i am little bit ok in speaking though now i will concentrate on it also.

@Nishant,

i will try both writing and speaking and JL thread advised by you may be helpfull to me.

Having studied in hindi medium should not be a hunch of earning good english, i can see your english is pretty decent as for grammar is concerned. Make a habit of SPELL CHECK before a final write up. As u can see below 2 very simple words are misspelt. Think n imagine everything in english, talk to yourself or imagine as if you are talking to a friend n that too in english. It'll enhance your thinking ability n ideas of creative writing will come naturally.

The main mantra is enhancing your word power. Limited words always put a limit to creative writing
    @ meenakshiji,

i am trying to wright but checking of material is the issue.

@ millu,

i am little bit ok in speaking though now i will concentrate on it also.

@Nishant,

i will try both writing and speaking and JL thread advised by you may be helpfull to me.

sunita has logically put forwarded the concept of thinking and imagining in english. this will build up and enhance your skills. best of luck and happy thinking

First & foremost thing you already have that is Interest to learn

As per my experience with english, two things are important:-

1. What to say ------ comes from your imagination.Develop the image of thing in your mind about which you want to talk.

2. How to say ------ Grammer, Vocab ( bulid it slowly as per valuable suggestion you already got from Jatlanders.)

:rock:rock:rock:rock

digressing from the topic..
    how to learn Spanish..classes or CDs
    -There are no bad people in this world..they are either good or amusing.

...La Vida es Bella....

Quote Originally Posted by deepshi View Post
    how to learn french???
    "Every Man alone is sincere.At the entrance of second person hypocrisy begins"

Quote Originally Posted by deepshi View Post
    Deepshi
    Take spanish classes. Also depends what kind of spanish do you want to learn, Espana Spanish or Mexican-Latin American spanish, there are some differences. However if your hindi grammar was very very good then you will not have any problem learning spanish, if you try to use English grammar rules to spanish then it will be lost in translation. I speak and write spanish fairly well, it was a hard due to fact I had to keep track of spanish and english grammar rules.
    Last edited by karan; October 14th, 2009 at 08:26 PM.

Dear all,

Thanks and regards,
    Dakshant Choudhary.
    Dakshant
    There are different styles of writing, journalistic writing, scientific writing technical writing, literary writing, informative, critical and creative writing. It all depends on what is your goal? Remember this your first draft is just a summation of your ideas, second draft is refining the summation of ideas and developing a flow and format of your writing and last is the final product. In a nutshell the three steps are
    1. Tell me what you want to say
    2. Say what you want to say
    3. Tell me what you said
    Lastly, always ask a question, who is your audience? Knowing this will have more influence in your writing.
    Hope it helps.

MANEEE BHI SIKHNI H ANGREZIIII PLEEJ HELP ME HOW I LEARN :rock:rock

Quote Originally Posted by Vgahlout View Post
    MANEEE BHI SIKHNI H ANGREZIIII PLEEJ HELP ME HOW I LEARN :rock:rock
    Vikas
    Key baat sei, chheetar khaan ka ghana jee kar raha se. :p

Dear Dakshant, first decide, u have to learn english or spanish
    JAT = JUSTICE + ACTION + TRUTH

Hello Deepshi- I used to know some spanish- very very basic- like few sentences, week days, greetings etc. I don't know what your level is, but if you would like to learn by writing posts in spanish, I would be happy to try responding.
    Attention seekers and attention getters are two different class of people.

Hey thats good Milu
    I dont know A WORD.. but planning to..
    so would get back to you after I get my hands on some books or maybe lessons..
    maenn..days fly..no time but wl put it in my priority list
    Quote Originally Posted by Milu View Post
    Hello Deepshi- I used to know some spanish- very very basic- like few sentences, week days, greetings etc. I don't know what your level is, but if you would like to learn by writing posts in spanish, I would be happy to try responding.
    -There are no bad people in this world..they are either good or amusing.

...La Vida es Bella....