Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Tawang prepares for the Visit by Dal Lama

Tawang prepares for the Visit by Dal Lama

Tawang readies for the visit by Dalai Lama.
    Tawang has electricity . Hotels and all facilities required for tourists , Tawang those days, in 1962, when I was posted there had none of these facilities and other amenities.

This what Tawang was then :

Tawang, which stands for a grazing ground, was a small cluster of villages located at a height of 10,000 feet, spread on the slopes of the Tawang massif below the monastery. The villagers cultivated millet and maize. They grazed their animals on the grass growing in plenty in the rich pastures spread on the gentle slopes.
    The village was out of bounds for the troops. We were not permitted either to mix or to purchase any item from the locals. We could only see and admire the local beauties from a distance, except the lucky Doctors of the Army Hospital,) providing medical cover to the locals also. They were the hot favourites of the local young maidens who lined up every morning for the sticking plaster, both white and black, from the Medical Inspection Room to stick, as a beauty patch, on their face and more than one patch at a time.
    Life in Tawang was boringly routine. We were like prisoners, albeit prisoners of peace. Cut of from the world, confined to the very small word of the Brigade HQ. Chinese were not supposed to be in a position to take any offensive action against us till the railway line to Lhasa was ready.
    Off parade activities generally revolved around Barakhanas
    (Special occasion feast) on unit raising day functions or some other festival, parties in the officers messes of the local units and at times a visit to Tawang Gompa or the Anigompa, the monastery of Buddhist Nuns.
    Not withstanding the cloying smell of burning Yak butter lamps, the Gompa was a must on the tourist circuit of all visitors to Tawang, with more than willing guides from the Brigade HQ, armed with a three cell torch. The Gompa had couple of wooden Khajurao type of wooden figurines tucked in a dark corner. I do not know as to why they were there, but were titillating enough for at least one visit.
    The possible explanation for their being in the Gompa can be found in an article written by Major General DK Palit,Vr C (Retd) in USI General of October-December 2001 where he describes his visit to the monastery cum fort in Leah. There was similar statue in the monastery. The explanation as given to him was that the godly couple depicted God neither as male nor female but a male-female whole, conjured by the act of copulation.

Tawang had different moods; it could be both heaven and hell, depending on the weather of the day. Deep green undulating grass lands, blue hills, winding silver of river Tawang Chu deep down in the valley, wisps of cloud floating around in the deep blue sky, bright sun inviting one to bask in the pleasant warmth. Also rain and fog for days together, wet clothes and boots, leeches, bleak surroundings, depressed moods, no mail from home for days together all adding to the gloom. No airdrops resulting in any fresh supplies, eating tin stuff for days on end. What the morning would bring was known only with the morning mug of tea.

I was a strict vegetarian, not even eggs, our DQ on the other hand was a pure non-vegetarian. He could only eat meat, but not the tinned variety. I was allergic to tinned carrots and potatoes both of which tasted like nothing on earth, so I devised a recipe of chappati with butter and sugar; both Pereira and I lived on the same - days in days out.

Our main problem, of Officers and OR alike, was food - no variety, insipid tinned stuff; we could neither buy any thing locally nor shoot the local game, which was prohibited. Airdrops were few and far between due to uncertain weather either at Tawang or en route from Gauhati Airfield, from where all the Air Maintenance was carried out including hay for the mules of the Troop of the Mountain Regiment, located at Tawang.

The Assistant Political Officer, V V Mongia and Mrs Mongia, stationed in Tawang had invited the Brigade Staff for Lunch on 15thAugust .I had not eaten curd since long and there was plenty of it on the table. I took a large helping of the same, after the first bite I just did not know what to do, the curd had been prepared from Yak milk and it tasted and smelled like nothing on earth to me. It was an embarrassing situation; I do not remember as to how I managed to get it off my plate.

8 Sepetmber: The Day the Balloon went up

It was 8th of September, a Saturday, a weekend, a legacy left by the British. In bracing cold, Tawang at 10,000 feet plus, was basking in bright sunshine. A clear day with the greens of the meadows, the deep blues of the sky, the silver of the river Tawang Chu, flowing deep in the valley, the browns and reds of houses of the Tawang village. The majesty of the Tawang Monastery, visible not far away, was over powering. Not too cold not too hot, it was just pleasant, a tourist’s delight. However, there were no tourists in Tawang those days except VIP brass who choppered occasionally to stay for lunch, give sermons, talk in platitudes and fly back again to civilisation in plains of Tezpur, Lucknow or Delhi. In any case it was too quiet and peaceful to resemble a noisy and bustling tourists resort.
    Last edited by bls31; November 8th, 2009 at 01:45 PM.

I have my own memories of Tawang. I visited the place in 1988. It is definitely one of the most amazing places in India. Beautiful rolling green hills coupled with blue skies give the place its own distinct charm. In the summer kids used to go to Camp. Even during the summer we had to cuddle up in thick layers and fire up the heater in our tiny cardboard house. Some of us suffered from severely dried out skin.

I remember running up and down the green slopes between our house and the children's camp where my brother used to be. After summer was over, all officers' families used to return to Tenga Valley where their children went to school. Tenga valley was at a lower altitude but was very hilly and had a rough terrain.

I remember going to the Monastery that Brig. Lakshman has mentioned. Every morning the monks would carry a large tree trunk to open the Monastery doors.

I have always thought of returning to that place some day. When? I dont know!

Tanga in my time had Dim Dam, a bite from the fly resulted in severe ain and a black spot. bls31

I do not understand what Dalai Lama has to do with our country. He is serving nothing except an estrangement between India and China. One of the reason for bitter relationship between India and China. He should be kicked out of our country if we want to see some progress in future.

Quote Originally Posted by atishmohan View Post
    I do not understand what Dalai Lama has to do with our country. He is serving nothing except an estrangement between India and China. One of the reason for bitter relationship between India and China. He should be kicked out of our country if we want to see some progress in future.
    For ages, India has been a refuge for those who have been thrown out of their homes and have nowhere else to go. Do you really think Dalai Lama has a dearth of places where he could go. I believe its his appreciation for India that keeps him here.

He is probably the only non-head of a State who receives the kind of respect and admiration wherever he goes. The entire US Congress (the most powerful Legislative Body in the world) calls upon him without his summons.

I think it is a matter of Pride for India that Dalai Lama chose India to be his adopted home when he could literally choose to live in pretty much any country in the world.

Maybe you will read a little bit more about the recent Indo-Chinese history. China cannot be trusted. Chinese President Zhou Enlai was in New Delhi a few days before the 1962 war and proclaimed that China wont attack India.

Today, you can kick out the Dalai Lama. Tomorrow, China will pick another bone with India.

Remember that China has global aspirations. It does not want to have India as its equal partner. It want India to be its vassal state. Throwing out the Dalai Lama would cater to China. And, catering to China's wishes will put India on path to be its vassal state.

Quote Originally Posted by bls31 View Post
    Tanga in my time had Dim Dam, a bite from the fly resulted in severe ain and a black spot. bls31
    I remember Dim Dam. Even though I was lucky enough to have avoided it, I saw people who got bitten by it.

Quote Originally Posted by dahiyarules View Post
    For ages, India has been a refuge for those who have been thrown out of their homes and have nowhere else to go. Do you really think Dalai Lama has a dearth of places where he could go. I believe its his appreciation for India that keeps him here.

He is probably the only non-head of a State who receives the kind of respect and admiration wherever he goes. The entire US Congress (the most powerful Legislative Body in the world) calls upon him without his summons.

I think it is a matter of Pride for India that Dalai Lama chose India to be his adopted home when he could literally choose to live in pretty much any country in the world.

Maybe you will read a little bit more about the recent Indo-Chinese history. China cannot be trusted. Chinese President Zhou Enlai was in New Delhi a few days before the 1962 war and proclaimed that China wont attack India.

Today, you can kick out the Dalai Lama. Tomorrow, China will pick another bone with India.

Remember that China has global aspirations. It does not want to have India as its equal partner. It want India to be its vassal state. Throwing out the Dalai Lama would cater to China. And, catering to China's wishes will put India on path to be its vassal state.
    Dear Sumit

I can understand that "India has been a refuge for those who have been thrown out of their homes and have nowhere else to go"..I do understand the fact that "China cannot be trusted." but i do not understand that "The entire US Congress (the most powerful Legislative Body in the world) calls upon him without his summons." Why they are calling him again and again..making some reasons to call.."Human Rights". This terms comes into place when they want to manipulate something for some reasons...Where those human rights go when a security agency like Blackwater(US based) opens fire on civilians in Iraq...Killing innocents without any reasons...Where those policies go when Nuclear weapons have been used in war. In Iraq thousands of people are suffering consequences of Nuclear Weapons with diseases like cancer..United States move very strategically..Giving Dalai Lama such a status does not justify that he is a peace maker...I think its one of the US strategy to combat China..One of the major hurdle..and Dalai Lama is one of the key factor to engage in...Otherwise its very hard to intrude into China..Social networking sites like twitter get blocked when something happens in China..US tries each and every way to intrude into a country..Dalai Lama is nothing but an easy way to intrude into China.Involving India would help them as they do not want to waste their own energy..

War is an outdated theory in present world, esp between two equable nations.

Don't be afraid , its nothing but only & just a pressure tactics by China named country , on Govt of India as well foreign businessmen-investors.

Electronic Media is bringing it more so that to increase its viewership TRP ratings , by such means...

They don't have anything to do to getoff scare environment , they are refugees , they are not nationalists, with helping Chinese Motives towards FDIs investors

As real news collection require efforts , which refugee owned media houses cannot do , as that require to appoint good guys......not just siparashi tattoos.

Who want to loose AC rooms in scorching heats , or chilled winters ??? when every recruitee have a mai-bap
    in upper circles.

*TAWANG ka naam to HWANG HO river se milta julta hain

Dear Sumit

II do understand the fact that "China cannot be trusted." but i do not understand that "The entire US Congress (the most powerful Legislative Body in the world) calls upon him without his summons." Why they are calling him again and again..making some reasons to call.."Human Rights". This terms comes into place when they want to manipulate something for some reasons...Where those human rights go when a security agency like Blackwater(US based) opens fire on civilians in Iraq...Killing innocents without any reasons...Where those policies go when Nuclear weapons have been used in war. In Iraq thousands of people are suffering consequences of Nuclear Weapons with diseases like cancer..
    You totally missed my point. I was just trying to say that Dalai Lama is well respected around the world and can live wherever he wants to. He still prefers to stay in India. India should be proud of that fact.

To answer your unwarranted suggestions that the US is somehow this evil country that goes around the world screwing everything that moves and bomb the rest. Let me tell you something; for whatever reason we ended up in Iraq, we have done a lot of good things for that country and its people. I never supported the war, but I support the outcome. And now its time for us to leave.

Individual instances of human rights abuses in Iraq and Afghanistan are being investigated by the United States. In the past uniformed United States personnel have been brought to justice for their actions. Blackwater (now known as XE) is under investigation in the US. They have lost contracts with the US Dept of State for the actions of its employees.

United States is a country of laws. Whether you jump s stop-sign or you murder someone, you will get punished. It does not matter if you are the President of this country.

Compare that to the seasonal rioting by elected officials in India. Look at 1984, Babri Masjid, Godhra, Bombay etc. The very people who murder citizens in cold blood are elected to office, election after election. Look at the rate of custodial deaths in Indian Police Stations. Look at the rapes and murders committed by Indian troops in Kashmir. In India everything goes. Its a fish eats fish environment. The one with the bigger stick prevails. There is no justice.

So look in your own backyard before you point fingers at others.

Yes, the United States has problems. But, we do not just ignore them. We do something about them. Yes we go to war more than anyone else in the world. But we also liberate people who had no hope. We give more to charity than the rest of the world put together.

The rest of the world is envious of us. If it weren't us waving the baton, it would be someone else. And frankly I would prefer us to be the ones who wave the baton and not China, North Korea, Iran or Russia.

If I understand correctly, the toppic was tawang, but Atish diverted to Dalailama & now Sumit you have converted it in the comprision between India & US. Brother from 79 to 82 I happened to be in a Brigade HQ & got many opportunities to meet, see activities, conduct & hear views of Dalailama & his people at Maclodgunj, I donot want to go into details but your impression about his greatness, he can stay any where in the world & pride position of India in keeping him here, is not at all correct from my point of view. Infact I also some time think that why our leaders allowed him to come here. But there may be some compulsion or that time visible advantage in the decision. However, since we have allowed him and his people, now we shouldnot & cannot through him out, keeping many thing in mind. Sumit I can tell you one thing that this man is neithr loyal nor useful to India, again this is my personal oppenion.As far as the US is concern, I have not visited the country even for a day, so difficult to comment, but what little I understood, US is most selfish, opportunitish, intelligent businessman. Law, principle, norms, ethics etc are applied for others & when it comes to their self, these words vanish from the seen. Ofcourse they are good manuplaters. Brother what to talk about a big corrupt nation like US, no country has The Rule of Law to my knowledge.
    Last edited by Fateh; November 11th, 2009 at 08:31 AM.

To answer your unwarranted suggestions that the US is somehow this evil country that goes around the world screwing everything that moves and bomb the rest. Let me tell you something; for whatever reason we ended up in Iraq, we have done a lot of good things for that country and its people. I never supported the war, but I support the outcome. And now its time for us to leave.

What US has done in Iraq. Let me explain you.With the election of of Bush as President of United States,US moved aggressively towards Iraq.Undone work of his father in Gulf war needs to be done somehow. To fulfill the dreams of his father and looking forward to world biggest oil reserves, his administration preludes in many ways. First they started finding realtionship between Al-Quida and Iraq. But his intelligence agency denied that suspicion. Then something needs to be done legally. After Gulf war in 1991,Cease fire signed between US & Alllies and Iraq under which they can inspect Iraqi development of weapons.The avarice and retaliation forced President Bush to plan for post-Saddam Iraq.His admninistration started allegation on Iraq of possessing Nucler weapons("Yes US has rights to posses them and use them against any country in the world").With these allegations UN inspection resumed and unfotunately(For Mr. Bush) could not find anything as such. But still they invaded Iraq with a general consent of UN (a Puppet of US).

I have found some useful resource: I hope you go through this.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iraq_War

On September 18, 2002, George Tenet briefed Bush that Iraq did not have weapons of mass destruction. Bush dismissed this top-secret intelligence from Hussein's inner circle which was approved by two senior CIA officers, but it turned out to be completely accurate.
    The information was never shared with Congress or even CIA agents examining whether Saddam had such weapons.[78] The CIA had contacted Iraq's foreign minister, Naji Sabri, who was being paid by the French as an agent. Sabri informed them that Saddam had ambitions for a nuclear program but that it was not active, and that no biological weapons were being produced or stockpiled, although research was underway.[79]

Indeed, Powell, in his address to the UN Security Council just prior to the war, made reference to the aluminum tubes. But a report released by the Institute for Science and International Security in 2002 reported that it was highly unlikely that the tubes could be used to enrich uranium. Powell later admitted he had presented an inaccurate case to the United Nations on Iraqi weapons, and the intelligence he was relying on was, in some cases, "deliberately misleading."[84][85][86] Shortly after the United States presidential election, 2008, and the election of rival Democratic party nominee Barack Obama, president Bush admitted that "[my] biggest regret of all the presidency has to have been the intelligence failure in Iraq".[87]

After US invasion in Iraq, conflicts between shia and sunnis deepened than ever. Under their old traditonal divide and rule policy, they provoked it once again. Caused a lot of human casualties and bombing across entire country.

Yes its a time for US to pull out troops from Iraq, as the situation as worsened than ever.Oh yes....Its a time to grab the oil deals..Recently Axon and Shell have been awarded with 50 Billion oil deal in Iraq...Thanks to local government and its officials..

United States is a country of laws. Whether you jump s stop-sign or you murder someone, you will get punished. It does not matter if you are the President of this country.

Yes United States is a country of laws..But those laws applies to the country only not to their business around the world..

Compare that to the seasonal rioting by elected officials in India. Look at 1984, Babri Masjid, Godhra, Bombay etc. The very people who murder citizens in cold blood are elected to office, election after election. Look at the rate of custodial deaths in Indian Police Stations. Look at the rapes and murders committed by Indian troops in Kashmir. In India everything goes. Its a fish eats fish environment. The one with the bigger stick prevails. There is no justice. Agree with you on this

.................................................. ...........

The principle of giving refuge to anyone who seeks it is important. But even if we ignore it for a second, it is in India's national interest to give Dalai Lama refuge.

Friendship happens between equals. Even if we want to be friendly with China, it doesn't mean that we succumb to their every whim and fancy. Dalai Lama is not a terrorist. He is free to travel anywhere in India as he wants and as India permits. China's objection against him traveling to a part of India is ridiculous and should be condemned. We have nothing to gain from pandering to China's wishes.

Dalai Lama represents the aspirations of Tibetans, and that issue is one of China's weaknesses. Strategically, it makes sense for India to exercise as much control as it can on this weakness. International diplomacy should be based on "tit for tat" principle rather than a "holier than thou" approach against overwhelming evidence of wrong doing on other's part (Pakistan, Maoists, etc.). China would play ball with an India that has potential to cause harm to them rather than a toothless one that just barks, but can't bite.

PS: No comments on the usual hue and cry about India's police records, rapes, gujarat and what not; apart from- pheeew, again!! And here!!??

13. The Following User Says Thank You to kapdal For This Useful Post:

vicky84 (November 13th, 2011)

I think the comparison with the US here is unwarranted. The US' record of supporting dictators/terrorists all around the globe is well known. Most US foreign interventions are based on "might is right" principle rather than any moral one. As Noam Chomsky has pointed out that if Nuremberg principles were applied (used for trial of Japanese/German PoWs after WW2), then all American presidents would have been hanged.
    http://www.chomsky.info/talks/1990----.htm

US does what it does not out of any good intentions but to protect its own national interests and because it can. Which I think is fine. The only problem is that the zeal and "couldn't care less" attitude with which they intervene, has shown to backfire spectacularly.

Dalai Lama's case is totally different. India doesn't support or intervene in Tibetan national movement. It has just given asylum to people driven out of their homeland, which is not only acceptable but also laudable from a moral/international law point of view. If China doesn't like it, all the more reason to persist with it.

I am not sure about Tawang but Dalai lama is very popular in Majnu ka Teela Tibetian colony near New Delhi bus stand. They serve some kind of rice wine at MkT and stab people who misbehave with their women who server liquor.

tats the place to be if u have 20 rupees in your pocket and bunked from the school. sit in those little kholi kinda pubs where those nice looking girls serve you some drinks. u been hanging out there alot aye? :o

Quote Originally Posted by sidchhikara View Post
    I am not sure about Tawang but Dalai lama is very popular in Majnu ka Teela Tibetian colony near New Delhi bus stand. They serve some kind of rice wine at MkT and stab people who misbehave with their women who server liquor.
    My way or my way ?

India's ties with Tibet are not new. His holiness the Dalai Lama is a spiritual figure and not a terrorist!!
    and if China has problems with India giving shelter to Dalai Lama; Chinese have to live with it (i think, they have learned to live with it :p).

Link to the one of the Dalai Lama speech:

http://www.dalailama.com/news.354.htm

Quote Originally Posted by gaganjat View Post
    tats the place to be if u have 20 rupees in your pocket and bunked from the school. sit in those little kholi kinda pubs where those nice looking girls serve you some drinks. u been hanging out there alot aye? :o
    Hahaha ! went there once or twice.

Quote Originally Posted by sidchhikara View Post
    They serve some kind of rice wine at MkT and stab people who misbehave with their women who server liquor.
    He He He! I absolutely love their Restaurants. Excellent food for hardcore meat-eaters; I must say!

I never got stabbed though!

Smile

what progress u r talking buddy ! if u get something on the cost of "people" then is it progress ?

who will expell dalai lama from india ? and for what ? because he is struggling with a soulless and "besharm" nation ?
    Last edited by mhundpuriamann; November 12th, 2009 at 05:09 AM.
    1.Meflan-ch jatt di pichaan wakhree (indeed).

2.Upon knowing the ultimate truth, the foolish become wise, and the wise become silent.

The Indians were silly to give up Tibet on a platter to China.

It was a betrayal of the Tibetan and the Indian interests.

Until they did, Tibet was an independent Country, and India had a long and peaceful border, since the Vedic times. Certainly there was no invasion of Tibet by Indians or vice versa.

There was trade, and more importantly exchanges of ideas and philosophy, which meant that both Tibetan and Indian ethos, had a common source.

There are many places in Tibet which are sacred to Indians and Hindus. Buddhism

Tibet is also important to India, as it is the source of the Major rivers that flow in to India- the Brahmaputra being just one.

The Tibetans have nothing in common with the Chinese. Since 1947 what has been happening is that, The Chinese have been flooding Tibet with their people, ( The Han Chinese) enslaving the Tibetans, and ethnically cleansing Tibet of Tibetans

Giving up Tibet also allowed the Chinese to have a direct access to Pakistan, Myanmar, and Nepal Bhutan etc.

China is no friend of Indians or India. The way to keep your enemy busy is to keep him far from your borders. By cravenly handing over Tibet, Nehru and co made a big blunder, a price , our soldiers paid in 1962, we are paying now, and will pay well into the future.

The Dalai Lama is also a symbol of free Tibet.

Maybe we will re open the Tibet question, and discuss the Tibet- Chinese Border.

Let us not be so hasty as to fall into the ‘Chini- Hindi Bhai Bhai’ rhetoric.

Ravi Chaudhary
    Last edited by ravichaudhary; November 13th, 2009 at 04:11 AM. Reason: m