Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Thread: Rural under-development- An analysis

Very mature of you Anil. I really appreciate your analysis. I would like to sincerely clarify that there is absolutely no conscious effort to be self-righteous in my approach. Well it was just my understanding which may not be correct and should be subjected to critical analysis. Floor is all yours to offer your critical comments. Both of your posts are very valuable and thoughtful and I really admire your analytical strength and intellect. Please keep sending your views. Thanks. However, I owe an explanation to you on certain points of divergence with you and it will be forthcoming in due course.
    Last edited by singhvp; March 24th, 2010 at 08:51 AM.

Excuse my ignorace but before I post my reply here I wanted you to please clarify what do you mean by the term "developed"

Better economy (against which bench mark), Better roads, Better Literacy rate or having pubs, cafes?

So when we say under-development I guess you are refering to/comparing to a particular area against western standard in all measures?

My teacher used to say development should be focused primarily on humans not roads if humans are developed they will develop their country automatically sooner or later. Even if govt develop roads but fail to develop their country man than that wont be a real development( of course against certain western standards it may be). He said an intelligent guy with no money is poor but one who has money but nothing else is poorer.

And developement is a relative term. We are more developed than our ancestors but compared to Western people we are "less developed". To survive we have to develop faster than others.

Focus should be on people ? How can they be developed? One way is education may be but a practical education not the old "old, gold, classy 'jack and jill type' ".

Rest Ummmmmmmm------ Later

Regards,
    _
    जागरूक ती अज्ञानी नहीं बनाया जा सके, स्वाभिमानी का अपमान नहीं करा जा सके , निडर ती दबाया नहीं जा सके भाई नुए सामाजिक क्रांति एक बार आ जे तो उसती बदला नहीं जा सके ---ज्याणी जाट।

दोस्त हो या दुश्मन, जाट दोनुआ ने १०० साल ताईं याद राखा करे

To all distinguished participants, viewers and would be participants.

Let us give a little twist to the topic and expand it further to include the whole gamut of developmental issues concerning the entire rural India and the 'Grey areas' of cities as well (satellite townships, slums around). Now, without going deep into the historical background and without getting deeply involved I would like to have some leisurely moments and would like to be enlightened by the distinguished viewers - which include a galaxy of intellectuals/intellentia, IT & Management Gurus and Academics - as to whether they are satisfied with the present level/trajectory of development in rural areas and the slums around the cities referred above as 'Grey areas' . If not, what are the steps they would like to suggest to ameliorate the situation in our countryside as well as the satellite townships (Grey areas) ? Whether people's aspirations to develop their areas at par with the developed countries are legitimate?. If yes what should be our (we the people) role in the whole process?

So far, I have been at the receiving end. Now it is my turn to turn the tables. With this I conclude the question/answer session and will wait for your valuable comments only, not making me a respondent essentially.
    Last edited by singhvp; March 24th, 2010 at 04:12 PM.

I think Vipin got a valid point here and its quite practical too, focus should be on developing and educating rural people. But question is how to educate them for better tomorrow, when they are reluctant for change?

@VPSingh: Thanks a lot sir for sucha enlightening and thought provoking thread. Haven't gone thro' whole of thread yet, just did some skimming as of now but I'll surely read it in spare time and add my two cents.

Cheers
    Jit

Quote Originally Posted by vipin80 View Post

My teacher used to say development should be focused primarily on humans not roads if humans are developed they will develop their country automatically sooner or later. Even if govt develop roads but fail to develop their country man than that wont be a real development( of course against certain western standards it may be). He said an intelligent guy with no money is poor but one who has money but nothing else is poorer.

And developement is a relative term. We are more developed than our ancestors but compared to Western people we are "less developed". To survive we have to develop faster than others.

Focus should be on people ? How can they be developed? One way is education may be but a practical education not the old "old, gold, classy 'jack and jill type' ".

Regards,
    _
    Last edited by cooljat; March 24th, 2010 at 05:39 PM.
    .. " Until Lions have their historians, tales of the hunt shall always glorify the hunter! " ..

Excuse my ignorace but before I post my reply here I wanted you to please clarify what do you mean by the term "developed"

Better economy (against which bench mark), Better roads, Better Literacy rate or having pubs, cafes?

So when we say under-development I guess you are refering to/comparing to a particular area against western standard in all measures?

Regards,
    _
    You have already defined "development" as did I in one of my previous post.

Better Economy: Let us not fix any benchmark as everything cannot be explained with mathemetical exactitude. There is, however, no harm in emulating the planning and designs of rural areas of West and the other developed parts of the planet. But to achieve that level is a far cry for us. Incidentally, I have to mention that after having travelled to about 30-32 odd countries I have a pretty fair idea of benchmarks for rural development. So please let us forget the benchmarks. Basic facilities, which will continue to be the ubiquitous part of my discussion on this subject, viz. quality education, better roads, a primary health centre, telephone and internet connection, street light, proper drainage/sewerage system etc. are the primary duties of a welfare state and there is no need of any benchmark to make these available and I would reiterate that I do not buy any argument about paucity of funds with the governments that be.

I agree with the teachings of your ideal teacher but unless our children get an opportunity of equality by way of quality education how will they develop themselves. If not, the society cannot get "automatically developed" as cherished by the respected Guru ji.

Due to poor educational standards in government owned schools in comparison to commercially oriented private institutions, our children are lagging far behind. I know here you may quote a few exceptions who could make it to IITs, IIM, Oxford, Harward or Princeton, but the ratio/percentage is negligible.

I agree to a great extent that education is the most important tool to enable people to raise the level of development of the areas they live in. But the sad part is that many of us tend to turn a blind eye to our roots the moment we make it to Gurgaon, Bangalore, Noida - not to speak of Melbourne, Sydney, NY or Toronto, Calgary, Ontario or London where they get metamorphed into westernized icons of modernity caring little about their siblings.

If your posts are to be an indication, you seem to be a very bight financier and an intelligent person with a reasonably high degree of IQ. I presume, you do not need any further explanation. Please do keep offering your thoughtful comments to enlighten all of us.

PS: It is characteristic of us, the Jats (I include myself) to play anti-hero and being antagonistic inspite of being in agreement in our heart of hearts on any topic of discussion to outsmart each other. Please do not feel offended.
    Last edited by singhvp; March 25th, 2010 at 09:10 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by vpsingh View Post
    You have already defined "development" as did I in one of my previous post.
    Better Economy: Let us not fix any benchmark as everything cannot be explained with mathemetical exactitude.
    PS: It is characteristic of us, the Jats (I include myself) to play anti-hero and being antagonistic inspite of being in agreement in our heart of hearts on any topic of discussion to outsmart each other. Please do not feel offended.

I thought you wont take active part in this thread again !! An Intellect like you can't and shouldn't sit back on the cosy couch:D

Mr Singh.
    If you go through my posts ( I assume u have already been as claimed by you twice though many of them were not worth reading.) you can see that I never tried to outsmart others. On contrary I always ask expert's opinion. But If I believe /support something I might have 1000 arguments to back that. If I come up with that thats not out smarting others thats called "holding your ground". See you cant be an expert in all fields and you cant be always right. I never get offended by agruments. I also dont cut copy and paste from other sources. I write what I believe and you or someone else doesnt have to agree with that, I welcome that. I am not testing anyone's knowledge. Questions popped up in my mind and i throw them out. Chinease say a person who ask question might be fool once but one who don’t might be fool forever.
    I dont have such ideal guruji. "My teacher used to say" ummmm ---------we just say it-----ummmmmmmm
    Anyway coming back to the topic You say lets not fix any benchmark?? You have already set the standards as indicated in your earlier posts. The western standards. In economics you have to set benchmarks. I just asked whats your benchmark. Without benchmark we cant compare and the present state might be the ideal state.

If you read my post again, I said development is a relative term.

Quote Originally Posted by vpsingh View Post
    Basic facilities, which will continue to be the ubiquitous part of my discussion on this subject, viz. quality education, better roads, a primary health centre, telephone and internet connection, street light, proper drainage/sewerage system etc. are the primary duties of a welfare state and there is no need of any benchmark to make these available and I would reiterate that I do not buy any argument about paucity of funds with the governments that be..
    These were not basic facilities a century before.:D. Telephone, internet was a luxary few yeras before. I believe they are still for many.

These might be basic facilities in your "ideal countries" but what is basic in one country can be a luxary in other.

However quality education, better roads, a primary health centre, drainage/sewerage system are the responcibility of the state in today's world or one can say in today's democracy and many Govt try to achieve this with the help of private sector but what I wanted to say is that not everything can be left to the Govt. And by focus should be on " humans not roads". What I mean is develop/educate the humans. You don’t have to go to IIT to be educated. An "education" can be provided by parents as well. In fact it should start from parents. In my dictionary there is a difference between education and literate and a professional. But if your are literate than its easier to be educated or should I say an educated person would thrive to get literate.

Once educated and literate this person would demand better roads better healthcare and better internet like you and would force the Govt to work on these areas, would quesiton the Govt how they are spending the money, would see the big picture that country is our home. But if 70 % of the people don’t demand these " basic needs" Govt wont care because its 'democracy'. They wont listen to the 30% like you.

Roads and infrastructure are a means to get more developed but first there should be people who can take advantage of these infrastructure otherwise these wont have lot of advantage and being more developed doesn’t necessarily mean more money. Money is a mean not an end.

In a perfect world and in a perfect country of that world Govt would provide all the " basic necessities" as mentioned by you and because of this people raise their living standards and everyone is happy.

Economics: There are lot of vicious circles in economics. Vicious circle of poverty is one of them.

Now poverty and corruption are also linked somehow but corruption also depends on a lot of thing.
    1. Culture may be but I think after some time corruption become culture.

This theory might go hand in hand with Samar ( Post #71 and earlier)

Now how to break this bundliya circle. There are lot of theories. What I said above is my theory, what you said is your theory. But what I said is what I believe today and your counter arguments might change my views. No one is right or wrong but both arguments have their own merits and that’s the beauty and confusion :D
    This is just my theory probably not written anywhere before and hence will attract lot of criticism and I welcome that.
    My teacher used to say " India is a rich country inhabited by the poor".
    Lot can be written but have to go.
    Last edited by VirJ; March 26th, 2010 at 02:29 PM. Reason: Formating
    जागरूक ती अज्ञानी नहीं बनाया जा सके, स्वाभिमानी का अपमान नहीं करा जा सके , निडर ती दबाया नहीं जा सके भाई नुए सामाजिक क्रांति एक बार आ जे तो उसती बदला नहीं जा सके ---ज्याणी जाट।

Lets not touch the 'ego-epidemic' button here. Though we can always choose to out-intellect each other through e-mails.

An entry at web from wiki source states about development :-

Economic development' or 'development' is a term that economists, politicians, and others have used frequently in the 20th century. The concept, however, has been in existence in the West for centuries. Modernization, Westernization, and especially Industrialization are other terms people have used when discussing economic development. Although no one is sure when the concept originated, most people agree that development is closely bound up with the evolution of capitalism and the demise of feudalism.

Also note ;

Economic development refers to social and technological progress. It implies a change in the way goods and services are produced, not merely an increase in production achieved using the old methods of production on a wider scale. Economic growth implies only an increase in quantitative output; it may or may not involve development. Economic growth is often measured by rate of change of gross domestic product (eg., percent GDP increase per year.) Gross domestic product is the aggregate value-added by the economic activity within a country's borders.

Economic development typically involves improvements in a variety of indicators such as literacy rates, life expectancy, and poverty rates. GDP does not take into account important aspects such as leisure time, environmental quality, freedom, or social justice; alternative measures of economic wellbeing have been proposed.

A country's economic development is related to its human development, which encompasses, among other things, health and education.

Further , to define 'Development' or to know and understand comprehensively what is 'underdevelopment' , there is a wonderful and awarded work by an Indian author names P. Sainath- [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/P._Sainath] . It is available as a book titled - Everybody Loves a Good Draught . It is the stastical, social and economical study of Poorest districts in our country. Anyone with an interest in social development, underdevelopment and true development , must have patience to purchase this work and go through it. It covers the vital and critical topics like :-

#Healthcare

#Education

#Displacement

#Survival strategies

#Water

#Crime

#Media

I am sure that after reading this book you would be engendered as a different person altogether.
    Last edited by Samarkadian; March 26th, 2010 at 10:57 AM.
    "All I am trying to do is bridge the gap between Jats and Rest of World"

As I shall imagine, so shall I become.

No One is touching the 'ego-epidemic' button here. A healthy argument/debate is not out-smarting. I guess we all are mature enough to know that people will have different views, different thinking and hence different approach.

We all have probably already read these defination earlier but understanding may be different. There is no one size fit all approach. I guess you have read the book. Rather than quoting the name of it Why dont you put the key points here which might help others :D
    Last edited by VirJ; March 26th, 2010 at 11:16 AM. Reason: Spell

Email Verification Pending
    Login to view details.
    Quote Originally Posted by Samarkadian View Post
    I am sure that after reading this book you would be engendered as a different person altogether.
    E-copy bitte?

Quote Originally Posted by anilsinghd View Post
    E-copy bitte?
    E-copy would be worth I think. Excerpts are not out of context and will really help many in refining their understanding about development. Good work by Samar. I would expect him to keep us updating in similar fashion.
    Last edited by singhvp; March 27th, 2010 at 04:14 PM.

As mentioned in my post No. 81, I owe an explanation to Shri Anil S Dalal which I submit as under, though belated. Excuse me for that.

Situation in Palam Colony(Anil’s Post No. 73): I think faster speed of transformation could be attributed to its proximity to the airport and Delhi itself and to some extent Dwarka as well.

Baba Ramdev’s jumping into politics(Anil’s Post No. 80): It was not my main supporting argument. A peripheral argument but cannot be dismissed as irrelevant. There are definitely some maladies which provide a fertile ground to all the “Babas” to spread their tantrums among the innocent people. In my opinion, main plank of Baba Ramdev is corruption and developmental maladies which has given him an alibi to offer his heeling techniques. Individually, I do not endorse major part of his manifesto. but his fiery discourses appeal many beyond imagination for obvious reasons. We cannot negate the truth in spite of our disliking.

Incremental Naxalism(Anil’s post No. 80): Your observation is correct to some extent. My original post talks about rural development in India with specific emphasis on Jat dominated areas. After some very valid reactions from some members, including yourself, I have expanded the area of discussion to entire India including suburbs of cities which are suffering from the same ailment. You may now refer to my post No. 83.

Suo Moto: I do not proclaim to be a versatile writer and do not rule out any crudity in my analysis which may be subjected to ruthless criticism as I know healthy criticism can come only from good friends, siblings or well-wishers which always helps in fine-tuning our approach. I would be the last person to hesitate in offering apologies for any offensive remarks which could be prejudicial to anyone’s self-respect and dignity.

PS: I also owe explanations to some other esteemed friends especially, Shri Atish Mohan ji (I read all your posts carefully). I hope they would forgive me for not being able to reply some of their posts or the delayed replies as I also remain consumed like you with usual duties and hardly find sufficient time. But I value all the posts equally. Will revert in due course.
    Last edited by singhvp; March 27th, 2010 at 08:42 AM.

We all have probably already read these defination earlier but understanding may be different. There is no one size fit all approach. I guess you have read the book. Rather than quoting the name of it Why dont you put the key points here which might help others :D
    Okay, will do a bit of baby sitting as you have asked. I 've stolen excerpts from online sources AS I can't type the book here.

We have this point of 62 years of Independence. P. Sainath divides it in to pre and post reform era and quotes about poverty :-

The average monthly per capita expenditure (MPCE) of the Indian farm household is a long way from Rs.15 lakh. And further from $115,000. It is, in fact, Rs.503. Not far above the rural poverty line. And that’s a national average, mixing both giant landlords and tiny landholders. It also includes States like Kerala where the average is nearly twice the national one. Remove Kerala and Punjab and the figure gets still more dismal. Of course, inequality is rife in urban India too. And growing. But the contrasts get more glaring when you look at rural India.

About 60 per cent of that Rs.503 is spent on food. Another 18 per cent on fuel, clothing, and footwear. Of the pathetic sum left over, the household spends on health twice what it does on education. That is Rs.34 and Rs.17. It seems unlikely that buying unique cellphone numbers is set to emerge a major hobby amongst rural Indians. There are countless households for whom that figure is not Rs.503, but Rs.225. There are whole States whose average falls below the poverty line. As for the landless, their hardships are appalling.

It is not that inequality is new or unknown to us. What makes the last 15 years different is the ruthlessness with which it has been engineered. The cynicism with which it has been constructed. And the scale on which it now exists. And that’s at all levels, even at the top. As Abhijit Banerjee and Thomas Piketty put it in a paper on “Top Indian Incomes 1956-2000,” “The rich (the top 1 per cent) substantially increased their share of total income [in the reform years]. However,
    while in the 1980s the gains were shared by everyone in the top percentile, in the 1990s it was only those in the top 0.1 per cent who made big gains.”

“The average top 0.01 per cent income was about 150-200 times larger than the average income of the entire population during the 1950s. This went down to less than 50 times as large by the early 1980s. But went back to being 150-200 times larger during the late 1990s.” All the evidence suggests it has gotten worse since then

Further on your favourtite fourth piller of democracy,media, he says under the chapter - From ''Mass Media'' to ''Mass Reality '' :-

•"By official estimates, over one lakh farmers have taken their lives in the last 10 years. Not a single person has been punished for it. There have been lots of relief packages, but more packaging than relief. What sort of human beings and reporters would we be to stay silent, throw in the towel?"

•"As for the media, there is a great and urgent need for introspection. The failure of journalism was far more predictable than the poll results. For years now, the media have stopped talking to ordinary people. How on earth can they tell their readers and viewers what is going on? There are 400-plus journalists to cover Lakme India Fashion Week. Almost none to cover the agricultural crisis in any informed way. The labour and agriculture beats in newspapers are almost extinct. The media have decided that 70 per cent of the population does not make news. The electorate has decided otherwise."

•"Embedded journalism is a state of the mind. You don’t have to be travelling with an army to be an embedded journalist. Between 1965 and 1975, there were 5,000 American journalists in Saigon, and they still didn’t get the story right. Not one of these unembedded guys managed to tell the true story of the Gulf of Tonkin Incident for about a decade. So ‘embeddedness’ is a state of mind, you can sit right next to your PC in your office in Oklahoma or wherever and be an embedded journalist.... that it is possible to have the world’s largest media and the world’s least informed public.

•"In war, the hypocrisy of media sometimes stands naked, so we are all ready to condemn and criticize. However, the same media does that and much worse during peace as well. It does so when it covers the WTO, when it covers the disputes over economics, when it covers markets and market fundamentalism and neoliberal ideologies, when it covers so-called “success stories."

•"...however much I might support... alternative media experiments, I am not willing to give up my space in the mainstream media. I think that has got to be liberated from the embedded hierarchies of neocolonialism. And to liberate the media from the embedded structures of the global conglomerates, we need public action. We need to assert that public space has to be respected in the private fora, we need to assert that public interest must prevail over private profit, I think we have to recover the public space that the conglomerates have taken over in the media. If you cannot stop the march of monopoly, you will find it very difficult to liberate yourself from embedded propaganda."

•"...I can't be speaking in the voice of the masses, the people have their own voice. What I can do is talk to peasants and workers and let you know what those conversations are like, and ask if you want to listen. I'm looking at the human condition in this society and telling it the way I see it."

Further reading which were in PDF and can't be copy pasted :-

http://www.scribd.com/doc/5491296/On-PSainath Good debate about Rural India

http://www.arvindguptatoys.com/arvin...enonwheels.pdf - About Women in Rural India

'
    '
    '
    E-copy bitte?
    Often , I find my self medicaly unfit to understand what are you conveying , the gargantum-mathematical-giant. My left-brain is dwarfed congenitaly. Pardon me for my morbid ignorance.
    "All I am trying to do is bridge the gap between Jats and Rest of World"

As I shall imagine, so shall I become.

Email Verification Pending
    Login to view details.
    Quote Originally Posted by Samarkadian View Post

Often , I find my self medicaly unfit to understand what are you conveying , the gargantum-mathematical-giant. My left-brain is dwarfed congenitaly. Pardon me for my morbid ignorance.
    Can i have an e-copy , i mean a pdf or whatever of the book? Can I buy it online for that matter?

"bitte" is please in german , thought you would get that, my bad!

4-5 years ago I read India Unbound of Gurcharan Das. He also writes editorial article for TOI for sunday edition. I also went through some posts on this thread and I found some common things that most of the members agreed on:

There is a growth in rural areas. Living standard, access to education, technology, health care, water resources has improved considerably. However, When we compare with other countries who got independence in 40's, our growth is quite average. one of the reason may be because of India's sheer size, Alignment with USSR and snail pace due to congress policies.

Majority of us are saying that more need to done in terms of all the areas mentioned above. I think we are solving today's problems with yesterday's approach. 70% of our population is still in villages and they are contributing hardly 20% to the country's GDP. There is massive shortage of skill labor and lots of hidden unemployment. These things needs to addressed to move forward and add masses to nation's growth.
    I would like to highlight the priorities:
    1. Education : it needs complete overhaul, education staff, more interactive teaching methods and improved infrastructure.
    2. Health Care: Need to build AIIMS like medical institutes at district level, train more doctors, educate people on personal hygiene. Average life expectancy in our country is still below 70.
    3. Electricity: This may be major challenge because majority of the villagers don't pay for electricity and majority of their appliances are not energy efficient. I saw some positive steps taken by Haryana govt by privatizing electricity distribution. Concept of community fodder machines (Gandasa) and flour machines(Chaki) needs to be introduced.
    4. Hidden unemployment: I like one thing about Gandhi. He understood the importance of Small scale industries. We need to emphasize on it again, there is massive scope in this field. It can help people to increase their income and spend that money on better health care and education for their wards.
    5. Roads: In Haryana and Punjab, Govt has improved the local access roads to connect all villages but this has to be done in other states.

Quote Originally Posted by yudhvirmor View Post
    4-5 years ago I read India Unbound of Gurcharan Das. He also writes editorial article for TOI for sunday edition. I also went through some posts on this thread and I found some common things that most of the members agreed on:

There is a growth in rural areas. Living standard, access to education, technology, health care, water resources has improved considerably. However, When we compare with other countries who got independence in 40's, our growth is quite average. one of the reason may be because of India's sheer size, Alignment with USSR and snail pace due to congress policies.

Majority of us are saying that more need to done in terms of all the areas mentioned above. I think we are solving today's problems with yesterday's approach. 70% of our population is still in villages and they are contributing hardly 20% to the country's GDP. There is massive shortage of skill labor and lots of hidden unemployment. These things needs to addressed to move forward and add masses to nation's growth.
    I would like to highlight the priorities:
    1. Education : it needs complete overhaul, education staff, more interactive teaching methods and improved infrastructure.
    2. Health Care: Need to build AIIMS like medical institutes at district level, train more doctors, educate people on personal hygiene. Average life expectancy in our country is still below 70.
    3. Electricity: This may be major challenge because majority of the villagers don't pay for electricity and majority of their appliances are not energy efficient. I saw some positive steps taken by Haryana govt by privatizing electricity distribution. Concept of community fodder machines (Gandasa) and flour machines(Chaki) needs to be introduced.
    4. Hidden unemployment: I like one thing about Gandhi. He understood the importance of Small scale industries. We need to emphasize on it again, there is massive scope in this field. It can help people to increase their income and spend that money on better health care and education for their wards.
    5. Roads: In Haryana and Punjab, Govt has improved the local access roads to connect all villages but this has to be done in other states.
    i found this v vcool !!! right said sir

In reply to Yudhvir's post

A good analysis by Yudhvir. All the suggestions are very much valid. In his Book Gurcharan Das has also emphasized the spread of education as well as industrialization.

The following excerpts from this former Proctor & Gamble CEO turned journalist, seem to be underlining the importance of education as an important step towards raising the level of development in India, especially rural areas at a faster speed.

“Although Indians gloss over it, the British Raj was the most important event in the making of modern India--for better and for worse. Britain gave us democracy, the rule of law, an independent judiciary, and a free press. It built railways, canals, and harbors, but it could not bring about an industrial revolution. It could not raise economic growth or lift the people out of poverty. It could not avert famines. The truth is that the Raj was economically incompetent. It just did not know how to "develop" a country. Had it known it, Britain could have gained much from having a larger market for its manufactures. It introduced modern education and helped create a small middle class, but it did not educate the mass of the people. This was its other failure and linked to the first, for development is not possible without mass literacy”.

Rural Development; Do we have any model?

Dear Friends,

I am starting a new thread on rural development. Rural India constitutes about 70% of Indian population. However, hardly 10-20 resources are spent in rural area. Problems of rural India are many. Rural India hardly finds any mention in National news media except for Khap, Gotra and honour killings like issues. There is hardly any govenment machinery present in villages. DM rarely visits a village. Anyone who has some money, wants to leave village and build a house in nearby town. Village is no more a self sufficient economic unit. Scope of the topic is really very large. Let me put some of the issues and how these can be addressed;

1. Rural Education: There is hardly any investment in rural education. Teachers don't attent their duties. There is nothing a library in a village school. There is nothing like a science lab in a village school. Forget about comupter lab, its too high tech for most of the teachers in rural India. What is the solution?

2. Rural Hygene: What are we talking? Has anyone really bothered that villages also require clean streets. Is there any village in India where street cleaneres are employed by Village Panchayats? Most of the village "Johads" are filled up and water overflows in streets during rain. Anyone who cares?

3. Rural Health: There is no public health facility in majority of Indian villages. No doctor wants to establish his clinic in village as there is no electricity, there is no law and order machinary...nothing for his way of life. Who is going to address this? Its not on the agenda of any government.

4. Agriculture: Agriculture is the main livelyhood of people. Has there been any change in our methods of agriculture in last 50 years other than the better seeds and fertilisers? How outdated is our irrigation system? Do our farmers have resources for modern methods of agriculture ? Are our farmers free to sell their produce anywhere in India? Do they have the means to market their produce? Has anyone in any government bothered to pay enough attention to these problems in timely manner?

There are loads of issues I can go on. From time to time I raised to issues with authorities along with simple solutions. It does not excite anyone to address these problems. Its not glamourous to work in rural India. Can one talk of developed India when 70% of India living in villages remain neglected ?

RK^2
    There are many paths leading to God, politics is certainly not one of them...

RK sir, we had a very nice discussion on a recently concluded thread on the same subject.

please have a look here >>>
    http://www.jatland.com/forums/showth...nt-An-analysis
    ! ... be BOLD in what you stand for !
    !! ... i've the simplest tastes, i'm always satisfied with the best !!
    !!! ... be yourself, everyone else is already taken !!!

Quote Originally Posted by brahmtewatia View Post
    RK sir, we had a very nice discussion on a recently concluded thread on the same subject.

please have a look here >>>
    http://www.jatland.com/forums/showth...nt-An-analysis
    Thanks. I missed the thread. Let me go through that thread and will contibute my thoughts there. May be administrators can shift my post over there.

RK^2

........I would say let the problem mature , let people really feel the pinch. Ofcourse if one wants to start , he/she is most welcome. But as you also said , sitting in the cosy rooms and punching keypads is not taking us anywhere and so is the repeating of the issues.
    Point well taken. People solve their individual problems when they feel the pinch. In my view popel are trying their best in villages to solve their problems at individual level. However, in moden world, more and more problems are falling outside individual's capabilities. Individual farmer can grow the crop but has no means to market it. Government machinery tends to take sides of mill owners and not the farmers. Village resources are not enough to solve higher education, electricity and other issues which can stop rural migration or attract professionals like doctors to villages. Village Panchayats don't have resources or powers to solve such issues.

RK^2