Page 1 of 14 1 2 3 4 5 11 ... LastLast

Thread: Walking with Comrades

Walking with Comrades

Walking with Comrades Naxals and Maoists

Walking With The Comrades: Gandhians with a Gun? Arundhati Roy plunges into the sea of Gondi people to find some answers...Arundhati Roy- click here to read the essay

This what I wrote to OUTLOOK after reading the article "WALKING WITH THE COMRADES"
    Brig Lakshman Singh (Retd)

Arundhati Roy, the master story teller has in the mega article(OUTLOOK March 29 2010) made me walk along with her for miles and miles, took me where she went and made me see what she saw with her eyes and made me feel what she felt to some extent and also made me read the hard core of her article, the history of the Naxal/ Mao movement which I would have skipped had I not walked with her or seen with her eyes, which , possibly is the major success of her odyssey.
    Arundhati has moved with the foot soldiers of the movement, meandering around the Jungle trails of Danatewada getting and imbibing the feel of their motivation, what drives them, their small joys and pains, worries, fears and aspirations.
    The foot soldiers, totally and blissfully unaware of the setup of the higher echelons organising, planning, directing the movement of this magnitude and their motivating force, are content to carry out the bidding's; moving single file night in and night out, not even aware of the final destination and what awaits them at the next bound.
    It is amazing how they are living, surviving, fighting, and also dieing totally unmindful of personal issues, emotional problems, privation, sickness and the fear of uncertain destiny awaiting them.
    Though myself having been a foot soldier once, with no voice of my own in the on going affairs, obeying orders, emanating from somewhere higher up, like a robot. I am still not convinced about the method adopted by them and more so by those directing them from a safe distance, to achieve their political or otherwise goals, whatever they may be and whatever be the provocation. bls31
    Last edited by bls31; April 4th, 2010 at 08:03 AM.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to bls31 For This Useful Post:

deveshdahiya (December 15th, 2014)

Quote Originally Posted by bls31 View Post
    Walking with Comrades Naxals and Maoists

Walking With The Comrades: Gandhians with a Gun? Arundhati Roy plunges into the sea of Gondi people to find some answers...Arundhati Roy- click here to read the essay

This what I wrote to OUTLOOK after reading the article "WALKING WITH THE COMRADES"
    Brig Lakshman Singh (Retd)

Arundhati Roy, the master story teller has in the mega article(OUTLOOK March 29 2010) made me walk along with her for miles and miles, took me where she went and made me see what she saw with her eyes and made me feel what she felt to some extent and also made me read the hard core of her article, the history of the Naxal/ Mao movement which I would have skipped had I not walked with her or seen with her eyes, which , possibly is the major success of her odyssey.
    Arundhati has moved with the foot soldiers of the movement, meandering around the Jungle trails of Danatewada getting and imbibing the feel of their motivation, what drives them, their small joys and pains, worries, fears and aspirations.
    The foot soldiers, totally and blissfully unaware of the setup of the higher echelons organising, planning, directing the movement of this magnitude and their motivating force, are content to carry out the bidding's; moving single file night in and night out, not even aware of the final destination and what awaits them at the next bound.
    It is amazing how they are living, surviving, fighting, and also dieing totally unmindful of personal issues, emotional problems, privation, sickness and the fear of uncertain destiny awaiting them.
    Though myself having been a foot soldier once, with no voice of my own in the on going affairs, obeying orders, emanating from somewhere higher up, like a robot. I am still not convinced about the method adopted by them and more so by those directing them from a safe distance, to achieve their political or otherwise goals, whatever they may be and whatever be the provocation. bls31
    Brigadier Lakshman, tell me why does India, or for that matter any country, has defense forces? Aren't they directed by someone from a safe distance? Aren't they there to achieve or safeguard political positions? Thousands of soldiers have laid their lives in India and Pakistan fighting each other, for what purpose?

Weren't these brave soldiers insulted when medals were distributed like sweets to a handful of policemen who died in the parliament attack just because someone’s safe havens were threatened?

Are you also not convinced by the struggle for independence by Neta Ji Subhash Chander Bosh and likes? Or do you think that Mahatma Gandhi's was enough to get India independence?

Brigadier Lakshman, with due respect to your views, I am very surprised how easily people get brainwashed, even the trained people like you, by the propaganda of few and their friends in media.

Yes, peace and harmony is something which is adorned by nature and preached by everyone. Even a so called terrorist is fighting today for tomorrow's peace (in his own views). However, when it comes to survival and dignity, doesn't these adhivasis have right for self defense? Could you let me know, what alternative and the chance does these adhavasis have without the weapons?

Few months back, there was a peace march from hundreds of nomads/adhivasis who had walked on foot all the way from MP to Delhi; could you tell me if any of their demands have been met so far? Why has media forgotten that peace movement? Are they not chased away from their land today by land mafia today as well?

Quote Originally Posted by Arvindc View Post
    Brigadier Lakshman, tell me why does India, or for that matter any country, has defense forces? Aren't they directed by someone from a safe distance? Aren't they there to achieve or safeguard political positions? Thousands of soldiers have laid their lives in India and Pakistan fighting each other, for what purpose?

Weren't these brave soldiers insulted when medals were distributed like sweets to a handful of policemen who died in the parliament attack just because someone’s safe havens were threatened?

Are you also not convinced by the struggle for independence by Neta Ji Subhash Chander Bosh and likes? Or do you think that Mahatma Gandhi's was enough to get India independence?

Brigadier Lakshman, with due respect to your views, I am very surprised how easily people get brainwashed, even the trained people like you, by the propaganda of few and their friends in media.

Yes, peace and harmony is something which is adorned by nature and preached by everyone. Even a so called terrorist is fighting today for tomorrow's peace (in his own views). However, when it comes to survival and dignity, doesn't these adhivasis have right for self defense? Could you let me know, what alternative and the chance does these adhavasis have without the weapons?

Few months back, there was a peace march from hundreds of nomads/adhivasis who had walked on foot all the way from MP to Delhi; could you tell me if any of their demands have been met so far? Why has media forgotten that peace movement? Are they not chased away from their land today by land mafia today as well?

Good analysis. The genesis of this problem need to be examined properly. Certainly there have been acute economic reasons - hunger and deprivation - behind the Adivasis turning hostile to the establishment. Their natural wealth viz. piece of land and forests were plundered by mines mafia and the entrepreneurs without adequate compensation to the land owners. The successive governments have never been serious in their commitments and efforts to improve the situation in the insurgency infested areas. Apart from this, the resentment against the ever-growing socio-economic disparity has been another important factor.

However, possibility of external forces (especially China through Nepal) aiding and abetting extremism in those parts of India, which provide a fertile ground for them to spread their tantrums, cannot be ruled out. With their stronghold in Nepal, the Moaists - assisted and guided by China - are now in a very comfortable position to create such problems with a view to de-stabilize and weaken India which is China's envy due to geo-political and economic reasons apart from past hostilities.

But, in spite of the fact that the so called "Naxalites" have some very genuine grievances, an armed rebellion against the mighty State is nothing but their foolhardiness. From both sides, it is only the poor and innocent people who are becoming the victims of this senseless violence. Their cause and problem is genuine but approach to resolve these problems is totally faulty and unacceptable by any democratic establishment. Any attempt on their part to overthrow the State will only be a cannon fodder. It is, therefore, high time that they must surrender and join the mainstream democratic process to resolve their issues. Inspite of so many flaws, democracy is the greatest tool in the hand of a common man. Violent methods are doomed to fail in the final run. LTTE is the latest example.

I agree with Brig Uncle on his view point but more with V P Singh's detailed reply. Its indeed India’s Gravest Internal Security Threat and if our govt doesn't find any way to solve this issue soon then we are gonna be in deep trouble soon. The problem is much more deep and severe then we think and it's certainly going to ruin our country if no valid steps taken immediately.

It's wake time for govt !!

PS: what a shame, 76 brave soldiers lost their life in this gruesome massacre day before yesterday, n' people of India, Media are more interested in IPL matches, Sonia-Shoaib episode and other cheap talks. Looks like nobody is worried about Country!

.. " Until Lions have their historians, tales of the hunt shall always glorify the hunter! " ..

Naxal Menace

It was shocking to see how CRPF personnel were attacked and butchered by Maoist in Dantewada. It is the highest casualty of security personnel on any given day. We have not witnessed so many deaths even during war time. It is unbelievable to think one company of trained paramilitary force came under attack and 78 personnel lost their lives. The weaponary of naxals proved to be equal or better than our forces. All This came just a day after HM's visit to Lalgarh and assurance to Naxals on peace talks.

What is holding us back, why wait so much isn't 45 years enough time. Isn't it the high time we declare war on naxals.?
    "Similia Similibus Curentur"

Quote Originally Posted by vpsingh View Post
    Good analysis. The genesis of this problem need to be examined properly. Certainly there have been acute economic reasons - hunger and deprivation - behind the Adivasis turning hostile to the establishment. Their natural wealth viz. piece of land and forests were plundered by mines mafia and the entrepreneurs without adequate compensation to the land owners. The successive governments have never been serious in their commitments and efforts to improve the situation in the insurgency infested areas. Apart from this, the resentment against the ever-growing socio-economic disparity has been another important factor.

However, possibility of external forces (especially China through Nepal) aiding and abetting extremism in those parts of India, which provide a fertile ground for them to spread their tantrums, cannot be ruled out. With their stronghold in Nepal, the Moaists - assisted and guided by China - are now in a very comfortable position to create such problems with a view to de-stabilize and weaken India which is China's envy due to geo-political and economic reasons apart from past hostilities.
    I doubt whether China is being benefitted by Naxalities. Most of the iron ore that is being mined is shipped in raw form to China. So China would be benefited by opening more mines. Naxalities are against these mines, so China does not seem to be getting benefited by supporting them.

Quote Originally Posted by vpsingh View Post
    But, in spite of the fact that the so called "Naxalites" have some very genuine grievances, an armed rebellion against the mighty State is nothing but their foolhardiness. From both sides, it is only the poor and innocent people who are becoming the victims of this senseless violence. Their cause and problem is genuine but approach to resolve these problems is totally faulty and unacceptable by any democratic establishment. Any attempt on their part to overthrow the State will only be a cannon fodder. It is, therefore, high time that they must surrender and join the mainstream democratic process to resolve their issues. Inspite of so many flaws, democracy is the greatest tool in the hand of a common man. Violent methods are doomed to fail in the final run. LTTE is the latest example.
    Remember, people cannot be fooled for long. Today, the armed defense seems to be the only way out for them for survival with dignity.

The whole issue irrupted because of the failure of the governance and hence democracy. They had been oppressed for generations and aggression is never started by oppressed. They just defend themselves. It is difficult for me and you to know how they feel about the state. May be our grandfathers could tell us how they felt under the British raj. The naxalities are in the same situation which makes them fight with their own people because those people are controlled by bunch of people having inferior motives.

Yes, joining the mainstream democratic process can resolve their issues, if only they have any say in the government. The whole issue is about exploitation of the forest resources, which would not be possible if these people are brought into power. Those in government can resolve the issue very easily, if only the they allows them to live with dignity and peace. The naxalities are not going after the armed forces; it's the state that is sanding the armed forces to wipe them out.

Today, Indian democracy is just a fragile wrapper over a corrupt state.

There had been some good decisions lately (for whatever underlining political reasons) regarding banning construction of more dams on some of the rivers. However, I doubt whether reason of this ban is environmental, especially when the Government (congress) is not leaving any stone unturned for quashing all the opposition parties.
    Last edited by Arvindc; April 9th, 2010 at 12:53 PM.

The war needs to be declared against corruption, the state sponsored mafia and the government policies and not the naxals. Otherwise, the whole nation would soon be fighting within itself. Naxalwada is a symptom not the cause.

Read the post "Walking with the Comrades"
    Last edited by Arvindc; April 9th, 2010 at 12:57 PM.

Anything that is clearly, blatantly anti-nation cannot be defined as anything else but only in one simple way: Disloyal cowards… there is no excuse, nothing, nada, zit for such anti-establishment, terrorist sort of activities that disrupt life, cause millions in damage and result in the loss of precious life!

In fact if it is such a heartburn to anyone then folks like Arundhati Roy should give up her exalted status and denounce all ties to anything Indian anytime she so wishes!
    ...Wouldn't follow the trodden path, but shall leave a blazing trail!!!...

I agree with Arvind on most of the points.

Naxalies are the Adivasi who depend( or used to depend) on the nature for their living. They have been fighting for a very long time since moughals ( may be earlier). No one was able to displace them though they lost lot of people. The britishers also tried to displace them by giving the large chunk of lands to the land owners and in return taxing them. This thing is not new. Always happened in the history they were called 'barbarians' (Red Indians, aboriginals, bhumiputras etc). Britisher wanted to utlise the natural resources, which the naxali control, for their own benefit and hence introduced the laws that state will control all the forests. They tried but they were never able to displace these adivasis from their homeland. The Indian Govt accepted the same laws in their constitution in 1950. No problem if state control that but the people who depend on them should get something.

Naxalism in not the result of any fanatic ideology but probably due to the exploitation of the tribals by the rich and the powerful from the corporate world and state.

When Govt took control lot of advaisis lost their living. You go to WB, Orissa or any other such area you will find that (or talk to any businessman( there are a lot from haryana) many advasis work just for food. That’s what they need just food which they were getting from nature. Govt is influenced by these big corporates who want to make more and more money. But that comes at the cost of naxalis. Govt should first make sure that if they are displaced from their land they should get settled. That’s why naxalis had lot of support from the educated youths as well and many leave their jobs and join them.
    Naxlalis are fighting for survival, for their home. They see this democratic set up as their enemy because they have got nothing from it. These mamta benarji's are exploiting these issues for their own. These tribal don’t know their rights and cant understand whats right for them in long run.

Govt should try to bring them in 'mainstream' slowly but not by force. They should work with them and convince them.
    We cannot compare naxlies with other terrorists nor we can brand them 'deshdrohi'. We also cannot separate naxalis from the common public that’s why they are so hard to fight against. If they are killed like 'LTTE' than we should go die in shame. Whether they are getting weapons from China or Pakistan is not important. But that day would be horrible when they do join other extremist group from Pakistan or Bangladesh against the state. That day India can easily turn into Somalia or Sri lanka or may be worse.
    जागरूक ती अज्ञानी नहीं बनाया जा सके, स्वाभिमानी का अपमान नहीं करा जा सके , निडर ती दबाया नहीं जा सके भाई नुए सामाजिक क्रांति एक बार आ जे तो उसती बदला नहीं जा सके ---ज्याणी जाट।

दोस्त हो या दुश्मन, जाट दोनुआ ने १०० साल ताईं याद राखा करे

This was very very shocking incident.
    It feels very bad when I think about the future of 76 families who lost the head of family and lone bread earner.
    Government should take responsibility of all of them.

Just find another KPS Gill who can kill all naxalites just as he did in Punjab.

Still I cant believe people supporting these militants.
    They are fighting for this movement from last 50 years. At that time whole India was like Dantewada. Other parts of country developed and they are still fighting expecting development with fight.
    What u see is truth but its not the only truth. Collectively matter is something different.

I spoke to Kashmiris they say Mujahiddins are not bad. Most of Marathis say Raj Thackrey is right. Sikh says Bindrawale was martyr. They all are negatively influenced by half truth.

Development ke lie pasina bahana padta hai khoon nahi.

Naxals and tribals both will pay for this killing now. Forces will be more cruel and crush them now. No one will think about human right.
    They will get tit for tat.

Quote Originally Posted by anurag8425 View Post
    Still I cant believe people supporting these militants.

What u see is truth but its not the only truth. Collectively matter is something different.

I spoke to Kashmiris they say Mujahiddins are not bad. Most of Marathis say Raj Thackrey is right. Sikh says Bindrawale was martyr. They all are negatively influenced by half truth.
    Why dont you bring up the whole truth and educate us young boy ?

BTW u forgot to mention Britishers and some congressi also say(said) that Bagat Singh was a terrorist !!
    Last edited by VirJ; April 9th, 2010 at 11:07 AM.
    जागरूक ती अज्ञानी नहीं बनाया जा सके, स्वाभिमानी का अपमान नहीं करा जा सके , निडर ती दबाया नहीं जा सके भाई नुए सामाजिक क्रांति एक बार आ जे तो उसती बदला नहीं जा सके ---ज्याणी जाट।

दोस्त हो या दुश्मन, जाट दोनुआ ने १०० साल ताईं याद राखा करे

A comprehensive article -

RED RESURGENCE : a symposium on the Naxal/Maoist - challenge to the state

http://www.india-seminar.com/2010/607.htm

.. " Until Lions have their historians, tales of the hunt shall always glorify the hunter! " ..

Good read but find couple of links which show other side of the story!

A good write up that depicts real problems of the tribes of affected area -

http://swayambhumukherjee.blogspot.c...log-ton-8.html

An interesting read, may be partial true but I differ most of it -

http://news.rediff.com/interview/201...a-massacre.htm

Once upon a time the poor adivasis had been exploited physically & economically by certain sections. And now they are being exploited emotionally & ideologically by a few people whose distorted world views have already brought enough sorrow to the world. Situation is being deteriorated & if Chidambram doesn't learn a lesson and invite them for a talk now, it'll be f$%king disaster!

ps: Pay heeds to these articles reactions in replies.

Quote Originally Posted by sidchhikara View Post
    Here is a good read ... funny too in parts

http://greatbong.net/2010/04/08/the-...ble-civil-war/

Quote Originally Posted by shailendra View Post
    Anything that is clearly, blatantly anti-nation cannot be defined as anything else but only in one simple way: Disloyal cowards… there is no excuse, nothing, nada, zit for such anti-establishment, terrorist sort of activities that disrupt life, cause millions in damage and result in the loss of precious life!

In fact if it is such a heartburn to anyone then folks like Arundhati Roy should give up her exalted status and denounce all ties to anything Indian anytime she so wishes!

I doubt if you have ever been associated with or experienced a village life. Usually these kinds of comments come only from people living in an air conditioned home having no clue of what an ordinary farmer’s hardship is. These are the only people who are getting benefited by this corrupt establishment (I agree that not all in the establishment are corrupt and there are really good people because of whom the nation is moving forward).

Imagine yourself as a farmer in a remote village. The farm that you plough has been fulfilling your family's food and other basic and essential needs for generations. Now, how would you react if the government throws you out of that farm to hand over that land to a builder?

The government and the media would give you reasons that it is doing this for the development of the county and that the entire village will get benefited by this development. However, tell me, would that builder be concerned about the development of the village or the money that he would be making out of that project?

There would have been no issues, if after negotiating the amount with the builder; the farmer voluntarily hands over the farm. But if, this is enforced by the law, then this is oppression by the state and violation of human rights. The farmer, as the owner and benefiter of that farm should have the ultimate right of selling that land, not the government.

In this situation, if the farmer protests to protect his rights, by any means available to him, would he be a coward? And to whom would be disloyal, his family, his future generation? Remember, today, the farmer is getting that food and living today because your for-fathers did not sell that farm. They could have also sold the land to live a comfortable life of their own in an air conditioned house without ensuring a sustainable earning for future generations and thus adding them to city's slum population.

And yes, could you elaborate on why Arundhati Roy should denounce all ties to the nation? Is it just because she had the courage to bring the other side of the story to the general public? Is the nation sole property of someone who do not agree with the other side of the story?
    Last edited by Arvindc; April 9th, 2010 at 12:50 PM.

Home minister has taken the responsibility and has offered to resign.....
    But believe me my friend, if that thing happens it will be shot in the arm for the naxals........ he is the best man we have in Govt. who can talk tough and can delivver the things he promises....
    It is not the question of taking responsibility it is the question of finding the ways to counter the problem.... and hey we are still hailing the points and finding happiness in WALKING WTH COMERADES..

Quote Originally Posted by anurag8425 View Post
    This was very very shocking incident.
    It feels very bad when I think about the future of 76 families who lost the head of family and lone bread earner.
    Government should take responsibility of all of them.
    "Similia Similibus Curentur"

It's really going to be collosal problem for internal security in India, naxal, maiost, ULFA etc. All these are genrated and supported by some bullshit politicians for their self interest. Also have some sponsership from Pak, Bangladesh, Chaina. Urgent need to grabb these booldy maiost, naxal. Our CRPF personals fought for more than 3 hrs and gundown 10 opponents.inspite of that this media as well as some peoples allegging negligence on behalf of our brave soldiers who are living in aghast conditions.