View Poll Results: How satisfied are you with the style of moderation of this site?

Voters
56. You may not vote on this poll
  • Very bad - I have stopped posting and visiting

7 12.50%
  • Bad - We put up because currently no other options

12 21.43%
  • Satisfactory

25 44.64%
  • Excellent

8 14.29%
  • Do not know - no experience with mods so far

4 7.14%
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: How satisfied are you with the way this site is moderated

First off, I have moved this thread to the "About Jatland" section as this is the proper place for it.
    In my opinion, members are the ones who should dictate the direction a thread takes, and not moderators. Moderators should jump in only if members start going after each other by posting sarcastic, degrading or otherwise abusive posts.
    It's fine if you want to take out your anguish towards the moderators by posting whatever on this thread. I just want to let you know that there are other more constructive ways to resolve any complaints that you have against any moderator. For example, you can use the "Contact Us" button to let the admin body know about a moderator's decision. You can also send a PM to any or all of the moderators and it is their duty to bring the subject up for discussion in front of other moderators. Sadly, none of these routes are typically taken by members.
    Statistically speaking, the number one reason for anyone to become a member of Jatland is Matrimonials. People join to see photographs, contact the owners of those profiles and once their purpose is solved, then they go dormant.
    Finally, I am happy to discuss constructive feedback from any and all members. So let's hear it. We will not be able to make everyone happy but at least give it a shot to make this site better.
    -Satyeshwar
    There is a place in Delhi named "Rani Bagh". I say its irony at it's fullest!

Quote Originally Posted by ravinderjeet View Post
    ek be ek mod. ney meraa ek chutkalaa delet kar diyaa ,usse din manney chopaal mey bujhi ak ku delet kyun karyaa ,to uhney kahi ak oohmey tanney choth (gobar) shabad likhaa thaa,jayaan tein delet kardiyaa.kai chutkale binaakisse ke koment karein aagley 2-3 din me fer delet kardiye ,yo kaaran de kein ak aachhey koni they.ibb haam mod ki pasand jaan kein thodi naa chutkale likhaangey.ibb manney choth ki thaan ke likhanaa chaahiye thaa ? "green grass eaten by buffalo from front side and come out from back side in the form of pest".to mere khayaal me yo shabad aachhaa lagdaa.
    Dukhi mat ho bhai saheb,
    ye to mere saath bho ho chuka hai. me kit dukhi hua.
    bhagwan shri krishan ne GEETA me arjun ko UPDESH diya hai ke "tu karm karta ja, fal ki chinta na kar"
    चालबो गैला को चाहे फेर इ हो.
    छाया मौक़ा की चाहे कैर इ हो.
    धीनो भेंस को चाहे सेर इ हो.
    अ'र बेठ्बो भायाँ को चाहे बैर इ हो.

Quote Originally Posted by satyeshwar View Post
    Finally, I am happy to discuss constructive feedback from any and all members. So let's hear it. We will not be able to make everyone happy but at least give it a shot to make this site better.
    -Satyeshwar
    Satyeshwar,

Just a suggestion, There is a request pending about having a feature "agree/disagree/recommended/offensive" with every post. If it's a big change then you could ask some volunteers to help you with that. Definitely it will help someone who's looking for some practical experience in PHP. And also it will improve user experience. I am not sure whether it's feasible or not but its just a suggestion.
    Last edited by vicky84; November 30th, 2010 at 06:39 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by atishmohan View Post
    Satyeshwar,

Just a suggestion, There is a request pending about having a feature "agree/disagree/recommended/offensive" with every post. If it's a big change then you could ask some volunteers to help you with that. Definitely it will help someone who's looking for some practical experience in PHP. And also it will improve user experience. I am not sure whether it's feasible or not but its just a suggestion.
    Atish, I am well aware of the request. However, I don't want to jump at every suggestion that people make without first ensuring that enough people want to see this feature added in. Otherwise, we add useless features. I know that from a members perspective you want to see the change happen immediately and it may be frustrating if the admins adopt a wait and see approach but sometimes this becomes necessary.

Anyhow, I am working on the like/dislike button and am hoping to get it added in soon.
    -Satyeshwar

Atish, I am well aware of the request. However, I don't want to jump at every suggestion that people make without first ensuring that enough people want to see this feature added in. Otherwise, we add useless features. I know that from a members perspective you want to see the change happen immediately and it may be frustrating if the admins adopt a wait and see approach but sometimes this becomes necessary.

Anyhow, I am working on the like/dislike button and am hoping to get it added in soon.
    -Satyeshwar
    Ok. Fair enough. Lets see what others have to say about it. And thanks for working on it

Dear Satyeshwar,

Thanks for opening up.

1. Please read all my posts on this thread, they are not just cribbing posts, they also offer solution.

2. I have noticed many issues
    a. irregular, inconsistent moderation (many reasons - read in my prev posts on this thread)
    b. lack of transparency. e.g. I have been asking in thread (deleted) and in PM to MODS (evasive answer) about real owners (who holds the legal title to this site and pays bills fo hosting, bandwidth, etc) not office bearers, no one is providing that answer. it is important to know for various reasons (members can make informed choice, ethical corporate social responsibility to provide info to members, if i suggest changes to strategic direction to take the site to next level (not just minor changes) then they wont succeed unless there is a full backing form real owners, etc
    c. lack of strategic long-term plan for evolution of the site
    d. untapped potential to infuse more energy and improved management style
    e. untapped potential to improve operations (training, standardised pocesses, etc)
    f. untapped potential to harness collective energy of contributing jats
    h. untapped potential to make is site for masses instead of elite select few
    i. untapped potential to make is site for every thing jat of agrarian society needs, instead of mainly jat matrimonial site (going by current active membership)
    j. lack of tolerance for differing views or
    g. lack of acceptance of critical feedback about the operation of site -anyone suggests this is considered a trouble maker, social pariah and is immediately ganged upon by mods, issued infraction notices under slightest pretext

(with due respect for the hard work of scores of volunteers and advance apologizes if my observations are incorrect)

3. Few specific example:
    3.1: I created this thread in 'general' section, it was moved by a mod to 'Time Pass' section, then another mod moved it once again to 'About us' section. Which mod is right? ya bus andha khatta se jo dhakke te chalan laag ra se, jis moddey ke jo ji mein usa ye dhool mein laath maar diya, sorry i cant restraint my sarcasm, jai ho.

3.2. I was issued an infraction by <name of MOD withheld> for setting my profile status as follows:
    "DELETE LAND" and "Victim of Butchers" are not valid location and occupation and are being deleted. Feel free to populate them with valid fields".

Irony is lost on someone... to me its hilarious. just another example of intolerance for any voice of dissent and certainly no protest is allowed and will be dealt with heavy autocratic hand.

3.3. many more, too many to mention. i think I have made my point.

I have tried everything, engaging with MODS, creating threads/posts related to these issues (mostly butchered). Im here with the intent to contribute in a constructive and positive way but above issues are prohibiting or limiting me from doing so.

Hope someone will take note, view in a a constructive way.

Thanks for your time.
    Regards

Quote Originally Posted by vdhillon View Post
    Dear Satyeshwar,

Thanks for opening up.

b. lack of transparency. e.g. I have been asking in thread (deleted) and in PM to MODS (evasive answer) about real owners (who holds the legal title to this site and pays bills fo hosting, bandwidth, etc) not office bearers, no one is providing that answer. it is important to know for various reasons (members can make informed choice, ethical corporate social responsibility to provide info to members, if i suggest changes to strategic direction to take the site to next level (not just minor changes) then they wont succeed unless there is a full backing form real owners, etc
    This question has been asked a bunch of times already. I pay for the hosting of this site now. It used to be Nitin Dahiya but he has been slowly transferring all the responsibilities to me now (the last of which was a month back). I may be paying for the sites expenses but I am by no means the owner of the site. I think that the real owners of any forum are its members. My philosophy is that the moderators are to serve, not to rule over the members.

c. lack of strategic long-term plan for evolution of the site
    I have had this discussion with several folks about this. My long term objective is to make this site as useful to the common jats as possible. Whether it be providing a common platform to share views and opinions, discuss news and politics, share jokes, or learning about history of Jats and villages, prominent people and our leaders through the WIKI site. I also don't want the site to help only the few thousands members of the site but the larger jat samaj. For example, members like Navin Gulia have taken social causes discussed in their infancy on the site to the real world and made real changes that are affecting the society as a whole.

d. untapped potential to infuse more energy and improved management style
    e. untapped potential to improve operations (training, standardised pocesses, etc)
    f. untapped potential to harness collective energy of contributing jats
    h. untapped potential to make is site for masses instead of elite select few
    i. untapped potential to make is site for every thing jat of agrarian society needs, instead of mainly jat matrimonial site (going by current active membership)
    j. lack of tolerance for differing views or
    It is unfair to put the burden of tapping the potential of thousands of Jats on the moderators and administrators of Jatland. That initiative will have to be taken by the members. Our job is to facilitate your discussions in any way, shape or form. We do have moderators like Mr. Ravi Chaudhary who are very much inclined towards helping out on Jat history matters as well as deeply involved in current affairs and providing a message back to the larger media correspondents.

g. lack of acceptance of critical feedback about the operation of site -anyone suggests this is considered a trouble maker, social pariah and is immediately ganged upon by mods, issued infraction notices under slightest pretext
    As is clear from my previous posts on this thread and numerous other threads, we are happy to listen to constructive feedback. Sometimes changes cannot be made immediately and take time and this frustrates individual members. It's nonsensical feedback which just goes on to criticize moderators because some members ego got bruised that we ignore.

(with due respect for the hard work of scores of volunteers and advance apologizes if my observations are incorrect)

3. Few specific example:
    3.1: I created this thread in 'general' section, it was moved by a mod to 'Time Pass' section, then another mod moved it once again to 'About us' section. Which mod is right? ya bus andha khatta se jo dhakke te chalan laag ra se, jis moddey ke jo ji mein usa ye dhool mein laath maar diya, sorry i cant restraint my sarcasm, jai ho.
    This is a really small point and I am somewhat surprised that you are even raising it. The post didn't get deleted, just moved. Anyhow, since you have raised it, I will answer. Anything related to Jatland must be discussed in the About Jatland section. If a new moderator who is still learning their duties accidentally moved it to another forum, then it's a process of education for them and tolerance by members.

3.2. I was issued an infraction by <name of MOD withheld> for setting my profile status as follows:
    "DELETE LAND" and "Victim of Butchers" are not valid location and occupation and are being deleted. Feel free to populate them with valid fields".
    I issued that infraction. And you are absolutely wrong in putting up invalid location and occupation in your profile. Neither was this a slight pretext as you have put above nor was I trying to find any reasons to "punish" you. It was a correction of something that you did wrong. Have no doubt, if you do it again, we will give you another infraction. This has nothing to do with you, just your action that is invalid. Same is true for any other member.

Irony is lost on someone... to me its hilarious. just another example of intolerance for any voice of dissent and certainly no protest is allowed and will be dealt with heavy autocratic hand.
    There are certain rules of any society that we live in. One person may consider them autocratic while all others may find it a relief that we are not letting hooligans running amok.

mods, Is it necessary for everyone to put his/her picture in profile?
    Become more and more innocent, less knowledgeable and more childlike. Take life as fun - because that's precisely what it is!

Quote Originally Posted by prashantacmet View Post
    mods, is it necessary for everyone to put his/her picture in profile?
    tu bhi aapni-2 laa fotu ,yo melaa kyuon jod raakhyaa s.
    :rockwhen you found a key to success,some ideot change the lock,*******BREAK THE DOOR.
    हक़ मांगने से नहीं मिलता , छिना जाता हे |
    अहिंसा कमजोरों का हथियार हे |
    पगड़ी संभाल जट्टा |
    मौत नु आंगालियाँ पे नचांदे , ते आपां जाट कुहांदे |

You can either put your own picture in your profile or leave it blank. If you really want to display some other photo then you have the choice of using your photo album.

Quote Originally Posted by VipinJyani View Post
    Let me try to answer.

Your 2 posts got deleted. One was in "walking with comrades". it was deleted by an accident by one of my colleague.
    LOL !!

Andha dundh !

There are couple of reasons for low active membership especialyy in last 1-2 years :-

Facebook
    Moderation - I was an active member here up until March-Apr 2010 - (4 years). They deleteed > 50% of my posts, so I quit putting stuff here - waste of time.

Lot of people here are obsessed with culture, sanskaar - jukar baniyaa ke satsang mein aa rahein hon.

Dhillon, we have had these recurring discussions - on the same lines - misdirected moderation etc., every 6 months - nothing comes out of it. I think it angers the moderators ......... inne mhaari complaint kar kyukar di .... eeb post naa karan dyoon susre ne.

Ke farak pade sei ... tu mauj le .... aade duniyaa bhar ke uncle/aunty bhare pade sein .... tere ghar aalan te complaint kar denge kuch tedhi medhi baat likh di te.

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sidchhikara For This Useful Post:

Maniisha (June 22nd, 2011), vdhillon (August 3rd, 2011)

There is always chance for improvement.. but overall I am satisfied with functioning of moderators.
    Well I have been visiting this site for last 5-6 yrs and started contributing though very little , since last 3 yrs.
    Jis class me balak ghane oot or albadi hote hain vanha mastar karda hi chahiye
    I have noticed one thing.. it is truly a online khap panchayat... yanha apne aap se jyada samajdhar kissi ko nahi manta .. log apas me jootam joot hoye dekhe sain.. dusri communities ke liye jo maan me aya maand diya karde...chote bade ka koi leehaag nahi.. par jabse moderator thode kardee hoye hain kimmi sudhar hoya hai....
    Yes there is chance for improvement, but we all are educated instead of trying to impose ourselves we should try to reason in a dignified way..should always try to put ourselves in others shoe...
    It has to be two way street If you want others to listen to you... you have to listen to them..

Quote Originally Posted by sidchhikara View Post
    There are couple of reasons for low active membership especialyy in last 1-2 years :-

Facebook
    Moderation - I was an active member here up until March-Apr 2010 - (4 years). They deleteed > 50% of my posts, so I quit putting stuff here - waste of time.

Lot of people here are obsessed with culture, sanskaar - jukar baniyaa ke satsang mein aa rahein hon.

Dhillon, we have had these recurring discussions - on the same lines - misdirected moderation etc., every 6 months - nothing comes out of it. I think it angers the moderators ......... inne mhaari complaint kar kyukar di .... eeb post naa karan dyoon susre ne.

Ke farak pade sei ... tu mauj le .... aade duniyaa bhar ke uncle/aunty bhare pade sein .... tere ghar aalan te complaint kar denge kuch tedhi medhi baat likh di te.
    Agree with you regarding poorly run JL site (a site initiated by an inspirational ex-army hero volunteer who gives a new meaning to 'Able', site has many good aspects, i will only highlight the bad ones as only bad one will prevent it from going to 'next level'), run like a fief ki 'jat samaj pe ehsan kar rahe hain' ar tham sare mahra ahsan mano. No concept of "charter of service", no concept of customer or stakeholder focus, no concept of customer satisfaction, no concept of proactive engagement of jat samaj, no concept of proactively recruit and retain members (jat samajh pe ahsan hai, hamne 'fief' khol diya now jats owe it to us to come to our heavy-handedly moderated site ...bravo). Jai Ho.

See above 'response to my constructive feedback' is all DEFENSIVE JUSTIFICATIONB. no acknowledgement of problem, let alone harnessing our energies to help them take the site forward. Doing so threatens them, that their so called perceived control will be diluted. Faltu ki chaudhar on a tiny site of 1200 dormant members. It will die a natural death, new members keep coming but management is good in running them out. it requires lot of self esteem and courage to accept the feedback, it aint easy for everyone.

I was issued infraction for a nonsensical reason. Insecure action by autocratic people who can not tolerate protest, freedom of expression, baan ne chale hain jat samaj ke thekedar. Attitude seems to be either "I pay the bill for the site, so mere ghar ki kheti hai, jo jee mein aaya jat samajh ke thekedari ki aad mein jis ko chahe laat marunga' ya phir ' hum volunteer hain, sare samaj pe ahsan hai hamara (even if many, not all, lack the mdoeration skills). FB is my fav site. JL wale toh apko subdue, baby sit, silence you.

Culture or sanskar ke naam par talibanize kar rahe hai samaj ko. Kai log toh khud to overseas ja ke baith jate hain pher sanskar ki baat kartey hain ke woh sanskar gaam me lagu hone hahiye. why not first practice what they are preaching. Lag ta hai, jo post unke vichar dhara ki khilaf hai, us ko talibani dakiyanoosi sanskar ka naam le kar 'bucther' kar dete hain. You post may hv been deleted either you dared to bare the hidden bad customs of jat samaj or you are too progressive or you do not lick the feet or massage the ego of the ppl running the site. i completely understand how you feel as to why would you make a effort in writing long posts to have a civilized debate when you are badly moderated out.

I am testing the waters, I am stirring the pot, with the intention, something good comes out of it, happy to contribute but only when it is going in a positive direction.

Mate, see you on facebook.
    RIP JL.
    Last edited by vdhillon; December 5th, 2010 at 11:37 AM.

Last edited by vdhillon; December 5th, 2010 at 08:42 PM.

Email Verification Pending
    Login to view details.
    Moderators should jump in only if members start going after each other by posting sarcastic, degrading or otherwise abusive posts.

-Satyeshwar
    This is not the case always. please check statistic.

Quote Originally Posted by VipinJyani View Post
    Your 2 posts got deleted. One was in "walking with comrades". it was deleted by an accident by one of my colleague. Unfortunately its gone now and cannot be restored. I do apologize for this. I was in fact about to write a PM to you about this but got busy somewhere else and couldn't write.
    Accidents do happen in life and we are too busy in our lives to accept the real facts.

End of the day, we didn't did anything wrong irrespective of our irresponsible behavior.
    It's better to be alone than in a bad company.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to vijay For This Useful Post:

vdhillon (August 2nd, 2011)

We live with good and bad but alway hope for better. I appreciate the work Site Moderators and maintainers are doing. This is second networking site I believe in, first networking site is my college and friends group.

I agree sometimes accidents happens but they occurs only to show that there is better side you should look for.

I would like to send heartiest wishes to Laxman Burdak Ji, they have provide us the tremendous knowledge and enlighten Jat history, I was always thirsty about.

I would like to contribute to this site too, financially and in maintenance.
    Regards

Shiv K. Chaudhary
    --------------------------------------------------------------
    The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy. .

All you mods are doing good.. I know your pain ...its always been difficult, the moderation of this community...

Quote Originally Posted by ravinderjeet View Post
    ek be ek mod. ney meraa ek chutkalaa delet kar diyaa ,usse din manney chopaal mey bujhi ak ku delet kyun karyaa ,to uhney kahi ak oohmey tanney choth (gobar) shabad likhaa thaa,jayaan tein delet kardiyaa.kai chutkale binaakisse ke koment karein aagley 2-3 din me fer delet kardiye ,yo kaaran de kein ak aachhey koni they.ibb haam mod ki pasand jaan kein thodi naa chutkale likhaangey.ibb manney choth ki thaan ke likhanaa chaahiye thaa ? "green grass eaten by buffalo from front side and come out from back side in the form of pest".to mere khayaal me yo shabad aachhaa lagdaa.
    hahahhhahahhahahahaha ravinder bahi kasuta likh diya bhai.....padhi pache hassi na rukti bhai.....
    Regards

VIKAS DHANKHAR

THE MOST DANGEROUS THING IN THE WORLD IS AN IDEA.:rolleyes:
    THE MOST DANGEROUS PERSON IN THE WORLD IS ONE WITH AN IDEA....!!!!!!
    :rolleyes:

23. The Following User Says Thank You to vikasJAT For This Useful Post:

vdhillon (August 2nd, 2011)