25 54.35%
  • No

18 39.13%
  • Can't decide

3 6.52%
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7

Thread: Is india a Democracy

Quote Originally Posted by deshi-jat View Post
    We claim that we are the champion of democracy and all our leaders vow to change the destiny of the nation. In reality these are nothing but just claims. We haven’t succeeded yet in eliminating longstanding problems of unemployment, nepotism, corruption, population explosion, energy crisis, and list goes on and on. Current ministers are puppets, and some evil force pull their strings behind the scenes. What should be done in a country where the spirit of democracy is abused, where bribery moves the wheels of institutions, where nepotism, favoritism & double standards are the order of the day, where hypocrisy is the code of bureaucracy, where truth is on the scaffold and wrong on the throne, where criminals are at liberty to enjoy the privileges of life and common man struggle for basic needs. Country needs to renovate its social, political, and economical structure with a new spirit and vigour, I guess
    Very well phrased bitter truth by a deshi person.
    Remember, we all stumble, every one of us.
    That's why it's a comfort to go hand in hand.
    :D

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to JSRana For This Useful Post:

Bisky (December 11th, 2011), deshi-jat (December 11th, 2011), satyenderdeswal (September 4th, 2012)

Email Verification Pending
    Login to view details.
    1. TATAs took 100 years to become billionaire, Ambanis took 50 years(after utilizing all its resources), Whereas Robert Vadra took less than 10 years to become fastest Multi Billionaire. 2. All Indian Newspapers and TV Channels are scared to discuss the story of Robert Vadra because of severe threat from Sonia Gandhi and HER Congress govt. 3. After Robert Vadra got married with Priyanka Gandhi, Robert's father committed suicide under mysterious circumstances, his brother found dead in his Delhi residence and his sister found dead in mysterious car accident. These reports were not published in any Indian media. 4. He is having stakes in Malls in premier locations of India. He is having stakes in DLF-IPL, and DLF itself. He is involved in CWG corruption; DLF was responsible for development of Commonwealth games, and Kalmadi gave favouritism to DLF because of Robert Vadra's direct interest and business partnership with DLF. 5. Robert Vadra owns many Hilton Hotels including Hilton Gardens New Delhi. 6. Robert Vadra's association with Kolkata Knight Ryders has never been reported by Indian media. 7. He has 20% ownership in Unitech, Biggest beneficiary ownership of 2G Scam. Because of Robert's involvement in this scam, concerns are that investigations would never reach decisive conclusions. 8. He owns prime properties in India, especially commercial hubs and taxi business but for Air Taxi. He owns few private planes as well. 9. He has direct links with Italian businessman Quatrochi. 10. The Bureau of Civil Aviation Security has created a record of sorts by according special privilege to Robert Vadra, which entails him to walk in and out of any Indian airports without being subject to any security check. ** Only the President of India , Vice-President and a handful of other top dignitaries are accorded this rare distinction. ** ****** As a concerned citizen, I would like to know from the Government as to what is the special quality in Mr. Vadra that merited this rare honor. The government has no right to go in for such largesse that concerns with the security of the general public just for pleasing the son-in-law of Sonia Gandhi. Wiki: w w w (dot) digplanet (dot)com/wiki/digplanet/Category:People/Category:People_by_ethnicity/Category:Anglo-Indian_people/Robert_Vadra This Video on Sonia Gandhi's Corruption Blocked by Indian Govt..!!!! Robert Vadra 'Gandhi' : How Sonia Gandhi's Son-In-Law became India's Fastest Multi-Billionaire..?? Why Youtube Banned this Video in India .??? w w w (dot) youtube (dot) com/watch?v=XStbVLNj2ng&feature=related w w w (dot) unitedsat (dot) net/yt.php?v=XStbVLNj2ng&feature=youtube_gdata_player

4. The Following User Says Thank You to rameshlakra For This Useful Post:

satyenderdeswal (September 4th, 2012)

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bisky For This Useful Post:

ravinderjeet (December 11th, 2011), vijaykajla1 (December 11th, 2011)

We are 100% democratic...
    Politicians is baat ko jyada achhey se jantey hai ...dats y they taking advantage of this democracy.

Kuchh karo and bach ke nikal jao...as we are democratic
    Paisa swiss bank main, aam janta ka mehnat ka paisa....

We are really democratic

QUOTE=Bisky;290642]100% Demon'cracy[/QUOTE]
    Lost my cell..All are requested to send your contact details with name pls...

Happiness is not something you find, It's something you create.

Quote Originally Posted by satyenderdeswal View Post
    We are 100% democratic...
    Politicians is baat ko jyada achhey se jantey hai ...dats y they taking advantage of this democracy.

Kuchh karo and bach ke nikal jao...as we are democratic
    Paisa swiss bank main, aam janta ka mehnat ka paisa....

We are really democratic

QUOTE=Bisky;290642]100% Demon'cracy
    [/QUOTE]

Deswal Sir
    Thats why I called it a Demon'cracy.

9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Bisky For This Useful Post:

Prikshit (February 26th, 2012), ravinderjeet (December 11th, 2011), satyenderdeswal (December 11th, 2011)

Rs 500 cr spent to buy votes in PCMC polls

This is how the democracy works at the grass root level.

And now this the current corruption brigade wants to remove whatever hurdle they face in further transformation of vote power to money power through the new MCC (model code of conduct) bill (see ‘Will oppose bid to curb poll panel powers’).

Link:-http://www.expressindia.com/story_pr...storyId=915045
    MANOJ MORE Posted: Feb 22, 2012 at 0134 hrs

Pune Those who lost say money was the deciding factor If candidates — both winners and losers — are to be believed, the amount that exchanged hands during the elections in Pimpri-Chinchwad could well be a whopping Rs 500 crore.
    Candidates who won and those who lost are not hesitant to point out that in their panels, crores were spent to buy votes. A major chunk of the amount was spent two days before the election. Off the record, the winning candidates are quoting a figure of Rs 20-25 lakh they spent but on record, they blame their rivals for “pumping in crores to buy votes”. Those who lost say the winners spent not less than a crore.
    Deputy mayor Dabbu Aswani said on poll day, the rate was Rs 6,000 per vote in his Pimpri panel. “I know at least one candidate who spent Rs 2-3 crore. This is what he has been telling people,” said Aswani. He, however, clarified that he did not buy votes.
    NCP rebel candidate Yeshwant Bhosale said candidates in Sant Tukaram panel spent at least Rs 10 crore. “One big candidate spent Rs 7 crore,” he said. However, Bhosale confessed that he spent Rs 12 lakh. “Of this, Rs 10 lakh was spent much before the code of conduct came into force,” he said.
    Congress candidate Premkumar Nair said elections are no longer about votes for good work. “It is all about money. In my panel, candidates spent at least Rs 5 crore to buy votes. I lost to money power...I have been part of PCMC elections since 1980. Earlier, money was distributed only in slums. Now, even voters in high-rises are taking money brazenly,” he said.
    Nair said candidates in Morwadi panel did not even once visit the voters, yet they garnered handsome votes.
    In some wards, it seemed that voters expected payment. Kiran Mote, who won from Kasarwadi, said, “I got a call from a voter saying his entire family voted for me...now how much will you pay us?”
    Advocate Sushil Mancharkar said in Gandhinagar area, candidates spent over Rs 5 crore. Shiv Sena candidate Sulbha Ubale said in her Yamunagar panel, at least Rs 2-3 crore were spent to buy votes. Another Sena candidate Seema Savle said over Rs 5 crore was distributed among voters in her panel. “Yet I won,” she said.
    Independent corporator Maruti Bhapkar said, “I knew I would lose. My opponents were distributing money to every voter. I had made it clear that I would not pay a single paisa even if it meant losing the election. Some voters who I refused to pay told me that they would not vote for me,” he said, adding that candidates pumped in at least Rs 10 crore in Kalbhornagar to buy votes.
    Mayor Yogesh Behl pegs the total figure at Rs 500-700 crore. “There’s no doubt a huge sum exchanged hands this elections. I think the figure is over Rs 500 crore.”
    Sena leader Sarang Kamtekar said the figure could be around Rs 400 crore. BJP city chief Eknath Pawar said money ruled in 2012 elections.
    Former mayor Mangala Kadam said, “It is a frightening scenario. The signal from voters is clear. You work for five years, we will not vote. You pay us, we will vote for you.” Kadam, however, said in her panel, candidates did not buy votes. Even Pune Mayor Mohan Rajpal Singh said he lost in because of “money power”.

11. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Arvindc For This Useful Post:

cooljat (February 22nd, 2012), DrRajpalSingh (February 27th, 2012), ravinderjeet (February 22nd, 2012), satyenderdeswal (September 4th, 2012), sjakhars (February 22nd, 2012)

Quote Originally Posted by ygulia View Post
    The minimum rate of agricultural produce is set by govt so that no one can buy at a rate less than that. Farmer is free to sell at higher rate. If govt. does not do it then the looser is the farmer. So my friend first understand the policy of fixation of rates for agricultural produce.
    Gulia Sahab, you didnt got the full questions. I said why they fix MSP for agricultural products why not iron/steel?

PS:- thanks for explaining minimum support price.
    Khudi ko kar buland itna ke har taqder se pehle
    Khuda bande se ye poche bata teri raza kia hai

For name shake only, otherwise Ramdev ji ki khule main pitai nahi hoti.
    Thanks & Regards
    Manoj Paweria
    Justification & Trust

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mpaweria For This Useful Post:

ravinderjeet (February 27th, 2012), sanjeev1984 (September 4th, 2012)

Excellent piece of information on the concepts on Democracy:

what balance needs to be maintained in democracy!!

Source: Sanjeev's Sabhlok blog

I’ve tried to visualise in a diagram (below) various forms of government and their (likely) effect on individual liberty.

[Click for larger image. Source PPT]

To the extreme left and right are ideal models. Both can work IF certain conditions are met.

1) A constitutional dictator (jinn) who defends the country’s constitution and does not dabble in any unnecessary thing is likely to be the best for defence of life and liberty. However, this is an unlikely outcome, since dictators who will comply with the law simply don’t exist.

2) On the other extreme (right) is direct democracy in which every public decision is made directly by all the people sitting at a single table and deciding everything. Theoretically this sounds enticing (everyone gets an equal voice). However, it is, in practical terms, the worst of all form of government since it will lead to confusion, mob rule, flip-flopping on policy positions, significant focus on redistribution, and potentially the end of all liberty as the country is weakened and annexed by its enemies.

The real choices available are therefore much narrower. We need a strong ruler who defends our liberty, closes debates as quickly as possible, is perceived to be legitimate, and can be thrown out quickly if he turns into a tyrant.

Systems that can do this job competently are forms either of the Westminster or Presidential systems of government.

The Presidential deliberately creates a dictator (bound by the Constitution): the President. In principle, this system should be superior to the FPTP system. And it has worked quite well in the USA. However, there are risks under this system of Presidents who over-reach their power and are not accountable to anyone for four years.

The Westminster FPTP system allows for greater accountability since the Parliament can vote out the government midway through its term (through a vote of no confidence – and provided defections are allowed: I strongly support the freedom of representatives to defect). True, Indira Gandhi short-circuited the parliament and became a dictator. But in general, FPTP systems can change governments more quickly than in any other system (I do advocate reducing the term of India’s governments from five to three, or at least four, years).

It could be argued that PR allows even quicker change in government. Most PR governments are chronically unstable. But an excess of change is a weakness, the tyranny of democracy – which derives from Arrow’s impossibility theorem. And the practicality of electing a PR government – which can take days, even months – makes the change even slower.

We need the right balance between stability, strength, and voice. The FPTP Westminster system comes close to the optimum. It has some properties of constitutional dictatorship but also accountability and capacity to incorporate popular beliefs into public policy (I believe the Upper House in India needs to be reviewed from first principles. We may not really need an Upper House once all things are considered.)

If India ever gets tired of FPTP, it should try the presidential system, not PR. Any form of government that India uses must strengthen its unity, not support divisive forces.

Having said that, I seen no reason to abandon FPTP. Instead, there are simple ways to improve its functioning to give us governments that can better defend our liberty.

16. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to vicky84 For This Useful Post:

kapdal (September 5th, 2012), ravinderjeet (September 4th, 2012), rekhasmriti (September 4th, 2012)