Page 6 of 48 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 16 ... LastLast

Thread: Research on history of Jat clans

Origin of Burdak Gotra

महाभारत के प्रारंभ में लिखा गया है कि जो महाभारत में नहीं है वह कहीं नहीं है. महाभारत को गणेश ने लिखा. इसका अर्थ मैं यह लगता हूँ कि गणेश से तात्पर्य भगवान से नहीं है बल्कि उस समय के गण के राजा अर्थात गणेश ने इसके लिखने में योगदान किया. इस आधार पर मैं बुरडक गोत्र की प्राचीनता के निष्कर्ष पर पहुंचा हूँ.
    बुरड़क गोत्र के बडवा (भाट) इस गोत्र का प्रारम्भ राव बुरड़कदेव (1000 ई.) से मानते हैं. बुरड़क गोत्र के बडवा का यह कथन मान्य नहीं किया जा सकता कि बुरड़क गोत्र की उत्पत्ति राव बुरड़क देव से हुई. बडवा ने राव बुरड़क देव के इतिहास में योगदान को देखते हुए बुरड़क गोत्र उनसे निकलना बताया है परन्तु बुरड़क का अस्तित्व प्राचीन काल से प्रमाणित है. विस्तृत अध्ययन और तथ्यों के आधार पर लेखक का मत है कि बुरड़क गोत्र की उत्पत्ति शिव से हुई है. महाभारत अश्वमेध पर्व (XIV.8.13,25), (XIV.8) में शिव के अनेक नाम बताये गए हैं और लेख किया गया है कि वे स्वर्ण खदान की रक्षा कर रहे हैं. शिव का एक नाम वरद है. वरद के अंश को वरदाक्ष कहा गया जो बाद में भाषा भेद के कारण वरदक या बर्ड़क से बुरड़क हो गया.

सीकर के पास स्थित हर्ष के शिव मंदिर के 961 ई. के शिलालेख और उनके द्वारा बडवा अभिलेखों के अनुसार शिव मंदिर बनाने की परंपरा भी इसकी पुष्टि करती है.
    Laxman Burdak

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to lrburdak For This Useful Post:

DrRajpalSingh (April 22nd, 2012), Moar (April 25th, 2012), rajpaldular (May 2nd, 2012), ravinderjeet (April 23rd, 2012)

Origin of Godhe Jat clan

[Wiki]Anusasana Parva/Book XIII Chapter 4[/Wiki] gives ancestry and family tree of Viswamitra, a Kshatriya, but the founder of a race of Brahmanas. Shloka 46 writes about [Wiki]Godhe[/Wiki] -

विश्वामित्रं चाजनयद गॊधेर भार्या यशस्विनी
    ऋषेः परभावाद राजेन्द्र बरह्मर्षिं बरह्मवादिनम Mahabharata (XIII.4.46), (XIII.4),

It is variant of word Gadhi which is used for a King Gadhi son of Kushika.

If we believe Hukum Singh Pauria (p.15) this refers to the Ur dynasty, a section of the Kusas or Kusikas, who belonged and ruled over Ur, Nuppur and Sus in Mesopotamia.
    Last edited by lrburdak; April 22nd, 2012 at 09:58 PM.
    Laxman Burdak

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to lrburdak For This Useful Post:

Moar (April 23rd, 2012), rajpaldular (May 2nd, 2012), ravinderjeet (April 23rd, 2012)

Origin of Shyor clan

[Wiki]Anusasana Parva/Book XIII Chapter 4[/Wiki] gives ancestry of Viswamitra, a Kshatriya whose sons became progenitors of many races of Brahmanas and founders of many clans. Shloka 58 mentions about Shyoruha.

श्यॊरुहश चारु मत्स्यः शिरीषी चाथ गार्दभिः
    उज्ज यॊनिरदापेक्षी नारदी च महान ऋषिः Mahabharata (XIII.4.58), (XIII.4),

[Wiki]Shyor[/Wiki] is a Jat clan.
    Laxman Burdak

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to lrburdak For This Useful Post:

Moar (April 24th, 2012), rajpaldular (May 2nd, 2012), ravinderjeet (April 24th, 2012)

Chavel Gotra

[Wiki]Chavel[/Wiki] is one of very rare distribution Jat gotra found in Rajasthan and Madhya Pradesh. This gotra started after king named Chivilaka (चिविलक) son of Maharaja Lambodara (लम्बोदर). [Dr Mahendra Singh Arya, Dharmpal Singh Dudee, Kishan Singh Faujdar & Vijendra Singh Narwar: Ādhunik Jat Itihasa (The modern history of Jats), Agra 1998 p.243]

Today I found an article on Wikipedia Main page about Harry Chauvel - See at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harry_Chauvel

Excerpts from this article -

General Sir Harry Chauvel, GCMG, KCB (16 April 1865 – 4 March 1945) was a senior officer of the Australian Imperial Force who fought at Gallipoli and in the Middle Eastern theatre during the First World War. He was the first Australian to attain the rank of lieutenant general and later general, and the first to lead a corps. As commander of the Desert Mounted Corps, he was responsible for one of the most decisive victories and fastest pursuits in military history.

The son of a grazier, Chauvel was commissioned as a captain in the Upper Clarence Light Horse, a unit organised by his father, in 1886.

There is need to research correlation between Chavel Jats and Chauvel of Australia !!!
    Laxman Burdak

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to lrburdak For This Useful Post:

Moar (April 25th, 2012), rajpaldular (May 2nd, 2012), ravinderjeet (April 25th, 2012)

Fandan Jat Gotra Origin

[Wiki]Adi Parva, Mahabharata/Mahabharata Book I Chapter 35[/Wiki] mentions Names of Chief Nagas. Name of Fandaka is mentioned in shloka 11:

नागः शङ्खनकश चैव तथा च सफण्डकॊ ऽपरः
    कषेमकश च महानागॊ नागः पिण्डारकस तथा Mahabharata (I.35.11),
    Last edited by lrburdak; April 25th, 2012 at 10:06 PM.
    Laxman Burdak

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to lrburdak For This Useful Post:

Moar (April 25th, 2012), rajpaldular (May 2nd, 2012)

Fandan Jat Gotra Origin

[Wiki]Fandan[/Wiki] gotra of Jats is found in Rajasthan with very limited distribution. All sources provide name of a Nagavanshi King named Fandi or Fandan. We conclude that Fandan is originated from this Naga Chief.

[Wiki]Adi Parva, Mahabharata/Mahabharata Book I Chapter 35[/Wiki] mentions Names of Chief Nagas. Name of Fandaka is mentioned in shloka 11:

नागः शङ्खनकश चैव तथा च सफण्डकॊ ऽपरः
    कषेमकश च महानागॊ नागः पिण्डारकस तथा Mahabharata (I.35.11),
    Last edited by lrburdak; April 25th, 2012 at 02:37 PM.
    Laxman Burdak

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to lrburdak For This Useful Post:

Moar (April 25th, 2012), rajpaldular (May 2nd, 2012)

Mundas in Mahabharata

[Wiki]Adi Parva, Mahabharata/Mahabharata Book I Chapter 57[/Wiki] tells Names of all those Nagas that fell into the fire of the snake-sacrifice. [Wiki]Munda[/Wiki] is mentioned in shloka 12 as Nagas of race of Takshaka.

ऐण्डिलः कुण्डलॊ मुण्डॊ वेणि सकन्धः कुमारकः
    बाहुकः शृङ्गवेगश च धूर्तकः पातपातरौ

[Wiki]Moond[/Wiki] is a Jat clan. We can consider Moonds to be descendants of Munda (मुण्ड) Nagavanshi King.
    Laxman Burdak

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to lrburdak For This Useful Post:

DrRajpalSingh (May 2nd, 2012), rajpaldular (May 2nd, 2012)

Quote Originally Posted by lrburdak View Post
    Mundas in Mahabharata

Adi Parva, Mahabharata/Mahabharata Book I Chapter 57 tells Names of all those Nagas that fell into the fire of the snake-sacrifice. Munda is mentioned in shloka 12 as Nagas of race of Takshaka.

ऐण्डिलः कुण्डलॊ मुण्डॊ वेणि सकन्धः कुमारकः
    बाहुकः शृङ्गवेगश च धूर्तकः पातपातरौ

Moond is a Jat clan. We can consider Moonds to be descendants of Munda (मुण्ड) Nagavanshi King.
    Observation seems plausible.

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DrRajpalSingh For This Useful Post:

rajpaldular (May 2nd, 2012), ravinderjeet (May 2nd, 2012)

Quote Originally Posted by DrRajpalSingh View Post
    Observation seems plausible.
    And what is the observation?? I mean what is the Hindi translation of these Sanskrit shalokas...may be we can understand better about our ancient connections????

The Text part before the list of Nagas is as under:

SECTION LVII

(Astika Parva continued)

"Saunaka said, 'O son of a Suta, I desire to hear the names of all those Nagas that fell into the fire of this snake-sacrifice!'

"Sauti replied, 'Many thousands and tens of thousands and billions of snakes fell into the fire. O most excellent Brahmana, so great is the number that I am unable to count them all. So far, however, as I remember, hear the names I mention of the principal snakes cast into the fire. Hear first the names of the principal ones of Vasuki's race alone, of colour blue, red and white of terrible form and huge body and deadly poison. Helpless and miserable and afflicted with their mother's curse, they fell into the sacrificial fire like libations of butter.

Nagas of the race Kauravya

Now hear, O best of Brahmanas, the names of the snakes I mention born in the race of Kauravya:

Aindila, Kundala, Munda, Veniskandha, Kumaraka, Bahuka, Shringavega, Dhurtaka, Patapatara and Astaka (?).

There born in the race of Kauravya fell into the fire.
    There is one correction. Munda is from the race of Kauravya and not Taxaka. Also sanskrit part dos not mention Astaka but English version mentions it.
    Last edited by lrburdak; May 2nd, 2012 at 06:03 PM.
    Laxman Burdak

Quote Originally Posted by narenderkharb View Post
    And what is the observation?? I mean what is the Hindi translation of these Sanskrit shalokas...may be we can understand better about our ancient connections????
    Please take trouble to consult Mahabharata Skt-Hindi edition and your curiosity will be satisfied.

The Text part before the list of Nagas is as under:

SECTION LVII

(Astika Parva continued)

"Saunaka said, 'O son of a Suta, I desire to hear the names of all those Nagas that fell into the fire of this snake-sacrifice!'

"Sauti replied, 'Many thousands and tens of thousands and billions of snakes fell into the fire. O most excellent Brahmana, so great is the number that I am unable to count them all. So far, however, as I remember, hear the names I mention of the principal snakes cast into the fire. Hear first the names of the principal ones of Vasuki's race alone, of colour blue, red and white of terrible form and huge body and deadly poison. Helpless and miserable and afflicted with their mother's curse, they fell into the sacrificial fire like libations of butter.

Nagas of the race Kauravya

Now hear, O best of Brahmanas, the names of the snakes I mention born in the race of Kauravya:

Aindila, Kundala, Munda, Veniskandha, Kumaraka, Bahuka, Shringavega, Dhurtaka, Patapatara and Astaka (?).

There born in the race of Kauravya fell into the fire.
    There is one correction. Munda is from the race of Kauravya and not Taxaka. Also sanskrit part dos not mention Astaka but English version mentions it.

Thanks laxman ji,
    I do feel that nagas mentioned here meant Kings or warriors of Naga Vansha not snakes of any kind but don't you feel some inherent contradiction when author mentions Naga vanshi of Kaurvaya and Dharitrashtra clans .What we know Karvaya were not Nagvanshis.
    So I wanted clarifications regarding that .Can you post a link where Hindi translation is available for a cross check,I could not find that..

21. The Following User Says Thank You to narenderkharb For This Useful Post:

prashantacmet (May 3rd, 2012)

Please take trouble to consult Mahabharata Skt-Hindi edition and your curiosity will be satisfied.
    What I wanted a perspective understanding of that observation from a historian point of view.My curiosity increased after your comments .

I wanted little clarification if you can help .......

Taking moond Jats as the descendants of Munda Naga on name similarity What you think shall we treat Munda people (phonological more similar) of Austruloid race as descendants of the same figure ,they do practice snake worship even today.

I wonder whether moond Jats do that.

Secondly Markandeya Puran do mention about King Chund and Moond who defeated devas and established their empire in three lokas finally to be killed by Goddess Durga.
    We can take moond Jats as the descendants of that King.

?Do you find my observation plausible????
    Last edited by narenderkharb; May 3rd, 2012 at 08:22 AM.

23. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to narenderkharb For This Useful Post:

prashantacmet (May 3rd, 2012), vijaykajla1 (May 3rd, 2012)

Narendraji

The text I have quoted from Mahabharata above is mythological account of burning of Nagas the people. But infact it is not burning in physical sense. It is process of Aryanization of Nagavanshi people who are original inhabitants of the land. Their life and culture is different from Bharatas. The author of Mahabharata has mechanically translated Nagas into Snakes but Sanskrit text as you can see from the link provided uses every where Naga. It is hundred percent about Naga Kings. This incidence is similar to the Agnikula theory of creation of New Kshatriyas in 7th century.

It is not mere coincidence that these names are similar to Jat clans. You find this similarity in Naga names why not in other sanskrit names ?

Moond Jats do follow some snake worship as they are follower of [Wiki]Tejaji[/Wiki] and [Wiki]Gogaji[/Wiki], both considered snake dieties. Snake worship still continues in many Jat clans in Rajasthan.
    Last edited by lrburdak; May 3rd, 2012 at 05:15 PM.
    Laxman Burdak

25. The Following User Says Thank You to lrburdak For This Useful Post:

Kindly see the link - [Wiki]Udyoga Parva/Mahabharata Book V Chapter 103[/Wiki]

You see blue links in this chapter. Following kings have correlation with Jat clans:

[Wiki]Vasuki[/Wiki], [Wiki]Takshaka[/Wiki], [Wiki]Karkotaka/[/Wiki], [Wiki]Dhananjaya[/Wiki], [Wiki]Kaliya[/Wiki], [Wiki]Nahusha[/Wiki], [Wiki]Kambala[/Wiki], [Wiki]Vamana[/Wiki], [Wiki]Kukura[/Wiki], [Wiki]Kukuna[/Wiki],
    [Wiki]Aryaka[/Wiki], [Wiki]Nandaka[/Wiki], [Wiki]Kalasa[/Wiki], [Wiki]Potaka[/Wiki], [Wiki]Pinjaraka[/Wiki], [Wiki]Airavata[/Wiki], [Wiki]Dadhimukha[/Wiki], [Wiki]Sankha[/Wiki], [Wiki]Nanda[/Wiki], [Wiki]Nishthuraka[/Wiki], [Wiki]Tittira[/Wiki], [Wiki]Kumuda[/Wiki], [Wiki]Karavira[/Wiki], [Wiki]Pitharaka[/Wiki], [Wiki]Pindara[/Wiki], [Wiki]Dilipa[/Wiki], [Wiki]Dhritarashtra[/Wiki], [Wiki]Kuhara[/Wiki], [Wiki]Viraja[/Wiki], [Wiki]Dharana[/Wiki], [Wiki]Subahu[/Wiki], [Wiki]Mukhara[/Wiki], [Wiki]Andha[/Wiki]

Jat Historians like Dalip Singh Ahlawat and Dharmpal Dudi have done good research on the subject and pointed out origin of many Jat clans from these Nagavanshi Kings.
    Laxman Burdak

27. The Following User Says Thank You to lrburdak For This Useful Post:

DrRajpalSingh (May 3rd, 2012)

Those interested in further research may consult -

[Wiki]List of the Mahabharata tribes[/Wiki]

This list has been prepared by me from various Chapters of Mahabharata. Here many names are common with Nagavanshi and the Bharatas. Nagas have been differentiated by putting (N) after each name in this list.
    Laxman Burdak

Kindly see the link - Udyoga Parva/Mahabharata Book V Chapter 103

You see blue links in this chapter. Following kings have correlation with Jat clans:

Vasuki, Takshaka, Karkotaka/, Dhananjaya, Kaliya, Nahusha, Kambala, Vamana, Kukura, Kukuna,
    Aryaka, Nandaka, Kalasa, Potaka, Pinjaraka, Airavata, Dadhimukha, Sankha, Nanda, Nishthuraka, Tittira, Kumuda, Karavira, Pitharaka, Pindara, Dilipa, Dhritarashtra, Kuhara, Viraja, Dharana, Subahu, Mukhara, Andha

Jat Historians like Dalip Singh Ahlawat and Dharmpal Dudi have done good research on the subject and pointed out origin of many Jat clans from these Nagavanshi Kings.
    Dr. B.S. Dahiya in his Jats The Ancient Rulers has also identified many Jat clans from the study of ancient scriptures including the Mahabharata.

30. The Following User Says Thank You to DrRajpalSingh For This Useful Post:

Narendraji

The text I have quoted from Mahabharata above is mythological account of burning of Nagas the people. But infact it is not burning in physical sense. It is process of Aryanization of Nagavanshi people who are original inhabitants of the land. Their life and culture is different from Bharatas. The auothor has mechanically translated Nagas into Snakes but Sanskrit text as you can see from the link provided uses every where Naga. It is hundred percent about Naga Kings. This incidence is similar to the Agnikula theory of creation of New Kshatriyas in 7th century.

It is not mere coincidence that these names are similar to Jat clans. You find this similarity in Naga names why not in other sanskrit names ?

Moond Jats do follow some snake worship as they are follower of Tejaji and Gogaji, both considered snake dieties. Snake worship still continues in many Jat clans in Rajasthan.

I never had any doubt about their being human not serpents and same I put in my earlier post also.I am a great admirer of your wonderful efforts for Jat History in collecting primary data what we need a careful scrutiny of this to make it more plausible for other.In this regard we need critical appraisal by ourselves so that your efforts bring desirable results at the end.I feel we can say moond Jats may have some connection with this munda naga kings but in absence of other supporting evidences we can"t say moond Jats were descendants of this King.

Any way I believe it was not Aryanisation infact it was bloody battle where Takhasak and Indra (followers of devas people) were on one side and Kaurvas were on other Takhsaka lost but took refuge with Indra and somehow saved himself.

32. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to narenderkharb For This Useful Post:

prashantacmet (May 3rd, 2012), Sure (May 3rd, 2012)

Dr. B.S. Dahiya in his Jats The Ancient Rulers has also identified many Jat clans from the study of ancient scriptures including the Mahabharata.
    Dr Dahiya did a wonderful job but while dealing with ancient scriptures he heavily relied on speculation some of it looks genuine other need to be rejected out rightly.

Anyway what you say of my Moond Jat as descendants of Moond Asura King (Markandeya puran)theory? Seems OK??

34. The Following User Says Thank You to narenderkharb For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by narenderkharb View Post
    Dr Dahiya did a wonderful job but while dealing with ancient scriptures he heavily relied on speculation some of it looks genuine other need to be rejected out rightly.

Anyway what you say of my Moond Jat as descendants of Moond Asura King (Markandeya puran)theory? Seems OK??
    Thanks and regards.

36. The Following User Says Thank You to DrRajpalSingh For This Useful Post:

Sure (May 3rd, 2012)