Page 8 of 48 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 18 ... LastLast

Thread: Research on history of Jat clans

ठीक कहरे सं रंविंदर जीत जी | बहुत सारे लोग राणा लिखे सं पूरा गोत ना लिखदे | और दूसरी बात भी सही स जटराणा, चौधराना और छतीसराणा में आपस में ब्याह भी हो ज्यां सें |
    Remember, we all stumble, every one of us.
    That's why it's a comfort to go hand in hand.
    :D

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JSRana For This Useful Post:

DrRajpalSingh (July 21st, 2012), ravinderjeet (July 19th, 2012)

Quote Originally Posted by ravinderjeet View Post

मखोल कोणी अनिल ,इबके कदे गाम में गया ते इन् सारे गोतां के गाम अर बाकी जानकारी भी ल्याउंगा | अर या बात थारे गुहांडी भाई ( औचंदिया )ने भी बताई थी | पाकसमे आले राणा ओर कुछ भी लिख्या करदे पहलम राणा की गेल ,कोए पाक्समे का हो ते बुझ लिए |
    Bhai pakka boojhoonga, ar je aapne bera paat ja te manne zaroor bataiyo. Gotra ar Gaamman ki list tay aade JL pe bhi sai.
    Anil Rana

4. The Following User Says Thank You to anilrana For This Useful Post:

DrRajpalSingh (July 21st, 2012)

Quote Originally Posted by anilrana View Post
    Bhai pakka boojhoonga, ar je aapne bera paat ja te manne zaroor bataiyo. Gotra ar Gaamman ki list tay aade JL pe bhi sai.

किम्मे ते जगबीर सिंह राणा जी ने बता दिए ,किम्मे और बेरा पाड के ने में बता दयुन्गा |
    :rockwhen you found a key to success,some ideot change the lock,*******BREAK THE DOOR.
    हक़ मांगने से नहीं मिलता , छिना जाता हे |
    अहिंसा कमजोरों का हथियार हे |
    पगड़ी संभाल जट्टा |
    मौत नु आंगालियाँ पे नचांदे , ते आपां जाट कुहांदे |

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ravinderjeet For This Useful Post:

anilrana (July 19th, 2012), DrRajpalSingh (July 21st, 2012), narvir (July 20th, 2012)

Mandu Jat clan

We did not have earlier [Wiki]Mandu[/Wiki] in our list of Jat clans.

Shekhawati Bodh, A monthly magazine of Shekhawati region, Mandawa special issue, July 2005 published the following information about Origin of [Wiki]Mandawa[/Wiki] town in Rajasthan.

"Mandu Jat founded Mandawa village. He first established a dhani (helmet) and dug a well here, which was completed on savan badi 5 samvat 1797 (1740 AD) . Initially this place was known as ‘Mandu ki dhani’, ‘Mandu ka bas’ or ‘Manduwas’ which changed to ‘Manduwa’, ‘Mandwa’ and finally ‘Mandawa’."

[Wiki]An Inquiry Into the Ethnography of Afghanistan[/Wiki] By H. W. Bellew gives us at page 96 clearly that Mandu is a Jat clan in Afghanistan. I quote:

"The Sangu-khel and Mandu-khel are ancient occupants, clans perhaps of the Thyraioi ; the

Sangu may be the tribe of the Sangarius to whom Hephaistion gave the charge of the city he took from Astes (of the Hasto-khel of the Jawaki Afridi), as related in a preceding page.

The [Wiki]Mandu[/Wiki] we have frequently met before ; they are part of the great Mand tribe of the Jata, and of the same origin as the Wend of Europe.

With this authority I have added [Wiki]Mandu[/Wiki] on Jatland Wiki.
    Last edited by lrburdak; July 20th, 2012 at 09:29 AM.
    Laxman Burdak

8. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to lrburdak For This Useful Post:

anilrana (July 25th, 2012), narvir (July 20th, 2012), ravinderjeet (July 20th, 2012), sunillore (July 21st, 2012)

Quote Originally Posted by lrburdak View Post
    Mandu Jat clan

We did not have earlier Mandu in our list of Jat clans.

Shekhawati Bodh, A monthly magazine of Shekhawati region, Mandawa special issue, July 2005 published the following information about Origin of Mandawa town in Rajasthan.

"Mandu Jat founded Mandawa village. He first established a dhani (helmet) and dug a well here, which was completed on savan badi 5 samvat 1797 (1740 AD) . Initially this place was known as ‘Mandu ki dhani’, ‘Mandu ka bas’ or ‘Manduwas’ which changed to ‘Manduwa’, ‘Mandwa’ and finally ‘Mandawa’."

An Inquiry Into the Ethnography of Afghanistan By H. W. Bellew gives us at page 96 clearly that Mandu is a Jat clan in Afghanistan. I quote:

"The Sangu-khel and Mandu-khel are ancient occupants, clans perhaps of the Thyraioi ; the

Sangu may be the tribe of the Sangarius to whom Hephaistion gave the charge of the city he took from Astes (of the Hasto-khel of the Jawaki Afridi), as related in a preceding page.

The Mandu we have frequently met before ; they are part of the great Mand tribe of the Jata, and of the same origin as the Wend of Europe.

With this authority I have added Mandu on Jatland Wiki.

Sometimes I feel Dada Sangu might have been an ancesstor of Sangwans with a clan name Sangu and his decendents might have been called Sangwan rather this belief of Sangram Singh termed as Sanghu ....or may be a person Sangram Singh Sanghu(same as one Burdak dev joined Chouhan confedracy) because Sanghu is quite an old clan of Jats as your post too suggests .I wrote about its presence in Iran in Achaemenid times , in one of my earlier post here on Jatland.

10. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to narenderkharb For This Useful Post:

anilrana (July 25th, 2012), DrRajpalSingh (July 21st, 2012), lrburdak (July 20th, 2012), narvir (July 20th, 2012), ravinderjeet (July 20th, 2012)

Thyraioi as mentioned of Greeks contained mostly Jat clans.
    Laxman Burdak

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to lrburdak For This Useful Post:

anilrana (July 25th, 2012), DrRajpalSingh (July 21st, 2012)

Quote Originally Posted by narenderkharb View Post
    Sometimes I feel Dada Sangu might have been an ancesstor of Sangwans with a clan name Sangu and his decendents might have been called Sangwan rather this belief of Sangram Singh termed as Sanghu ....or may be a person Sangram Singh Sanghu(same as one Burdak dev joined Chouhan confedracy) because Sanghu is quite an old clan of Jats as your post too suggests .I wrote about its presence in Iran in Achaemenid times , in one of my earlier post here on Jatland.
    Friend,

Your perception seems to be right especially in view of the fact that the bards [traditional Jaggas and Bhats] of various Jat clans have made their history very complex because due to their limited vision and knowledge they believed that Rajputs were the only kshatriyas and in attaching/attributing various Jat clans with some of the Rajput warrior [especially belonging to Chittor] they tried to flatten their benefactor Jats. This includes the twisting of the origin of Shivaji Bhonsale and Sinsinwar house of Bharatpur. Same thing seems to have happened with the Sangwan gotras origin and history.

These type of later times fabricated stories must be omitted from the pages of Gotras of the Jatland Wiki pages where earlier and more authenticated information is available to contradict the bardic view. This purging of misinformation will surely enhance the historical value of the Jatland.com! !

Thanks and regards.

14. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to DrRajpalSingh For This Useful Post:

anilrana (July 25th, 2012), JSRana (July 21st, 2012), narenderkharb (July 21st, 2012), op1955 (July 21st, 2012), prashantacmet (July 23rd, 2012), ravinderjeet (July 21st, 2012)

[Wiki]Sanwar[/Wiki] (सनवार) gotra Jats live in Nimach district in Madhya Pradesh and Chhoti Sadri tahsil in Chittorgarh district in Rajasthan. Sinawar, or Sanobar, is a Jat tribe in Afghanistan. ([Wiki]An Inquiry Into the Ethnography of Afghanistan[/Wiki], By H. W. Bellew, The Oriental University Institute, Woking, 1891, p.112 )
    Laxman Burdak

16. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to lrburdak For This Useful Post:

anilrana (July 25th, 2012), narenderkharb (July 26th, 2012), ravinderjeet (July 26th, 2012)

Sanwar (सनवार) gotra Jats live in Nimach district in Madhya Pradesh and Chhoti Sadri tahsil in Chittorgarh district in Rajasthan. Sinawar, or Sanobar, is a Jat tribe in Afghanistan. (An Inquiry Into the Ethnography of Afghanistan, By H. W. Bellew, The Oriental University Institute, Woking, 1891, p.112 )
    Laxman ji, when you say "is a Jat tribe" in Afghanistan, surely you mean that they are now known as Pashtun or any other tribe other than Jat, right? Are there still groups residing in Afghanistan that recognize themselves as Jats?
    Pagdi Sambhal Jatta..!

18. The Following User Says Thank You to swaich For This Useful Post:

op1955 (July 25th, 2012)

Sinawar, or Sanobar, is a Jat tribe in Afghanistan. (An Inquiry Into the Ethnography of Afghanistan, By H. W. Bellew, The Oriental University Institute, Woking, 1891, p.112 )

H. W. Bellew writes the words - Sinawar, or Sanobar, is a Jat tribe. This is what the author tells that it is a Jat tribe. The book was written in 1891. Jats have not moved out from there. So we assume they are still there.
    Laxman Burdak

20. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to lrburdak For This Useful Post:

DrRajpalSingh (July 26th, 2012), narenderkharb (July 26th, 2012), ravinderjeet (July 26th, 2012)

[Wiki]Madakalya[/Wiki] (मड़काल्या) gotra Jats live in Tonk district in Rajasthan.

Madak (मडक) clan is found in Afghanistan.([Wiki]An Inquiry Into the Ethnography of Afghanistan[/Wiki] By H. W. Bellew, The Oriental University Institute, Woking, 1891, p.118 )

They have originated from Madaka (मडक),who were a northern tribe in Yudhisthira's army in Mahabharata (पिशाचा थरथाश चैव पुण्ड्राः कुण्डी विषैः सह । मडका कडकाश चैव तङ्गणाः परपङ्गणाः ।VI.46.49)

Madak is village in Khair tahsil in Aligarh district in Uttar Pradesh.
    Laxman Burdak

22. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to lrburdak For This Useful Post:

DrRajpalSingh (July 26th, 2012), narenderkharb (July 26th, 2012), ravinderjeet (July 26th, 2012)

Sinawar, or Sanobar, is a Jat tribe in Afghanistan. (An Inquiry Into the Ethnography of Afghanistan, By H. W. Bellew, The Oriental University Institute, Woking, 1891, p.112 )

H. W. Bellew writes the words - Sinawar, or Sanobar, is a Jat tribe. This is what the author tells that it is a Jat tribe. The book was written in 1891. Jats have not moved out from there. So we assume they are still there.
    Burdak ji, I believe the following is the text that you quoted:
    Of these names, many have appeared and been explained before. Chet, or Chayit, may stand for ChaJcit Rahtor. Kalra and Khojri may stand for Kalhar, and Kochar^ Khatri. Mangur for Mangora, mercantile Rajput. Misri for Misdr Brahman. Pae for PdJia Gahlot. Pahar for Puar (Pramara). Parid for Aparldl, or Afridi. Samali for Slmala, Rajput. Sarwar is a Rajput tribe. Sinawar, or Sanobar, is a Jat tribe. The rest of the Banu district is occupied by the Isa-khel and Marwat tribes. The Isa-khel have been mentioned before, as a section of the Niyazi branch of the Lodi tribe of Ghor. The Niyazi are partly settled and agricultural and partly pastoral and Pavindah, or ^'^ caravan merchants." The agricultural Niyazi comprise the Isa-khel in the district of that name, the Kamar Mashani between Isakhel and Kalabagh, the Khundi, or Kundi in the Tank district, and the Sarhang in Mianwali on the east bank of the Indus.
    I think there are a few things that need to be cleared up.

1) The author is talking about Bannu district. Which lies in Khyber Pakhtunkhwa region of current Pakistan. Although this region could have been referred to as within Afghanistan in 1891 since this area is inhabited by Pashtuns and Pashtun areas in the West Pakistan are still seen as former Afghan lands., See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bannu,

2) The wiki link also states that that the district is almost 100% Pashtun. So this means that the Sinawar Jat tribe doesnt live there anymore.

Although I understand that Afghanistan was in the route of Scythian tribes arriving in India, but didnt most of Jat tribes that we know were already settled in the plains of Sindh and Punjab by the time of Alexander's invasion? So would a Jat tribe still be found in the mountains of KPK as late as 1891? I have my doubts about Mr. Bellewe's account. Could he have been mistaken?
    Pagdi Sambhal Jatta..!

24. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to swaich For This Useful Post:

DrRajpalSingh (July 26th, 2012), narenderkharb (July 26th, 2012)

Quote Originally Posted by swaich View Post
    Burdak ji, I believe the following is the text that you quoted:

I think there are a few things that need to be cleared up.

1) The author is talking about Bannu district. Which lies in Khyber Pakhtunkhwa region of current Pakistan. Although this region could have been referred to as within Afghanistan in 1891 since this area is inhabited by Pashtuns and Pashtun areas in the West Pakistan are still seen as former Afghan lands., See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bannu,

2) The wiki link also states that that the district is almost 100% Pashtun. So this means that the Sinawar Jat tribe doesnt live there anymore.

Although I understand that Afghanistan was in the route of Scythian tribes arriving in India, but didnt most of Jat tribes that we know were already settled in the plains of Sindh and Punjab by the time of Alexander's invasion? So would a Jat tribe still be found in the mountains of KPK as late as 1891? I have my doubts about Mr. Bellewe's account. Could he have been mistaken?
    Are people speaking Pastu language called 'Pashtuns.' If it is so it may/may not encompass people belonging to different caste/tribe groups including the Sanobar etc mentioned in the posts under reference. Could you enlighten further on the topic.

Laxman ji, when you say "is a Jat tribe" in Afghanistan, surely you mean that they are now known as Pashtun or any other tribe other than Jat, right? Are there still groups residing in Afghanistan that recognize themselves as Jats?
    One Jat Tribe: Madan Jat tribe now professing Islam still resides in Afghanistan.

Quote Originally Posted by DrRajpalSingh View Post
    Are people speaking Pastu language called 'Pashtuns.' If it is so it may/may not encompass people belonging to different caste/tribe groups including the Sanobar etc mentioned in the posts under reference. Could you enlighten further on the topic.
    There's a difference. Pashto is a language and Pashtun is an ethnicity. The Pashto language is indeed spoken by many non-Pashtuns residing in Pashtun areas. Many Sikh communities (khatri businessman) in Afghanistan speak fluent Pashto as do many other ethnic groups including Hazaras and Tajiks.

But the link states that 100% population of Bannu is ethnically Pashtun, so that made me think that there is little chance of Jats residing there as of now.
    Pagdi Sambhal Jatta..!

One Jat Tribe: Madan Jat tribe now professing Islam still resides in Afghanistan.
    Can you share links please? I would like to research more on this. The jatwiki page on Madan gotra doesnt mention anything.
    Pagdi Sambhal Jatta..!

29. The Following User Says Thank You to swaich For This Useful Post:

DrRajpalSingh (July 26th, 2012)

Can you share links please? I would like to research more on this. The jatwiki page on Madan gotra doesnt mention anything.
    Friend,

I happened to read a reference in this regard about twenty years back in a book perhaps by a forein author couple. As and when I am in a position to lay my hands on the book again, I will put exact page no and other relevant information here.

To the best of my memory, Madan/Madaan Muslim Jats who rear buffaloes and camels are found in Pakistan boarding Afganistan, Afghanistan and neighbouring region of Iraq Iran as per description found in a book authored by a German couple who wrote a research book on the Jats of Pakistan.

Perhaps the book was:
    By von Sigrid Westphal-Hellbusch und Heinz Westphal: Zur geschichte und kultur Jat
    Publishers Berlin : Duncker, & Humblot, 1968

31. The Following User Says Thank You to DrRajpalSingh For This Useful Post:

narenderkharb (July 26th, 2012)

Friend,

I happened to read a reference in this regard about twenty years back in a book perhaps by a forein author couple. As and when I am in a position to lay my hands on the book again, I will put exact page no and other relevant information here.

To the best of my memory, Madan/Madaan Muslim Jats who rear buffaloes and camels are found in Pakistan boarding Afganistan, Afghanistan and neighbouring region of Iraq Iran as per description found in a book authored by a German couple who wrote a research book on the Jats of Pakistan.

Perhaps the book was:
    By von Sigrid Westphal-Hellbusch und Heinz Westphal: Zur geschichte und kultur Jat
    Publishers Berlin : Duncker, & Humblot, 1968
    Thanks, I will use that to search more about this.
    Pagdi Sambhal Jatta..!

But the link states that 100% population of Bannu is ethnically Pashtun, so that made me think that there is little chance of Jats residing there as of now.
    Friend,

Migration and immigration is a universal phenomenon in the history of mankind. Look at Israel or Palestine population changes over the last less than eighty years.

Therefore, there is nothing strange in it, the book was published in 1891 and may have data collected some time before that. At that time ethnically Bannu might have been as noted by the author and in subsequently with the passage of time of over 120 years, the characteristic of population would have changed due to certain factors of migration and immigration of people from and to other regions and countries of their choice. This may be causing a trouble in our minds about the authenticity of the learned author's findings.

Thanks

Friend,

Migration and immigration is a universal phenomenon in the history of mankind. Look at Israel or Palestine population changes over the last less than eighty years.

Therefore, there is nothing strange in it, the book was published in 1891 and may have data collected some time before that. At that time ethnically Bannu might have been as noted by the author and in subsequently with the passage of time of over 120 years, the characteristic of population would have changed due to certain factors of migration and immigration of people from and to other regions and countries of their choice. This may be causing a trouble in our minds about the authenticity of the learned author's findings.

Thanks
    I agree sir ji. But it was the following quote by Burdak ji that I was talking about. I dont think there are any Jats living in Pashtun areas including Afghanistan as of now. Maybe in 1891 i.e. during the time of the researcher.

Pagdi Sambhal Jatta..!

35. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to swaich For This Useful Post:

DrRajpalSingh (July 26th, 2012), lrburdak (July 26th, 2012)