Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Genetic Analysis of my DNA

Genetic Analysis of my DNA

A company called 23andme.com was having a sale on DNA analysis, so I sent my 'spit sample' for analysis. We are Jats from UP. The results came and it showed that my genome clusters with Pathans and next closest cluster was Burusho people of Pakistan (Actually the result was on the cusp of Pathan and Burusho cluster). This is a pretty comprehensive DNA test. I exported the results to a Stanford University DNA analysis website called Interpretnome, and the results was outside the cluster of what it termed as 'South Asian', and again showed similarity with Central Asians and the Pathan group.

This again brings a question of history...perhaps our origins are in central asia/ Afghanistan, and we came down and settled in gangetic valley after Islam took over Afghanistan.
    Education is the best provision for old age.

Aristotle

2. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to vivek For This Useful Post:

cooljat (June 19th, 2011), jakharanil (September 6th, 2011), lrburdak (June 19th, 2011), navdeepkhatkar (September 5th, 2011), ravinderjeet (June 19th, 2011), sanjayrathee (September 10th, 2011), sukhbirhooda (July 27th, 2011)

Thumbs up

Thanks Vivek for letting us know about your DNA analysis. That's indeed informative and I, myself planing to take this test here in Oz.

Well, am not into history but strongly believe Indo-Scythian theory of Jats and your this test strengthen it. Truly, Jats resemble very much with Iranians, Afghani Pathans and sometimes Greeks in built and looks.

Hope historians here on forum will add their two cents on it.

Cheers
    Jit
    .. " Until Lions have their historians, tales of the hunt shall always glorify the hunter! " ..

4. The Following User Says Thank You to cooljat For This Useful Post:

thukrela (August 8th, 2011)

[QUOTE=vivek;270057]This is a pretty comprehensive DNA test.

Did they tell you what specific part of the genome was analysed?

Regards,

Urmila.
    Attention seekers and attention getters are two different class of people.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to urmiladuhan For This Useful Post:

sanjayrathee (September 10th, 2011)

I am not an expert, but they have a pretty comprehensive DNA file sent to me. My Paternal Lineage is R2A speculation is that it originated in Afghanistan. and unlike other genome did not migrate much. This really does not prove the Scythian theory. All it says that the gene has more similarity with the Pathan gene. Pathan gene could have originated in India. If anyone is interested, Simran Sandhu, is putting up that data on his site (google Jatt Gene), after he has analyzed the data. He is a sikh Jatt interested in DNA related topics.
    Last edited by vivek; June 19th, 2011 at 07:54 PM.

Aristotle

Quote Originally Posted by vivek View Post
    I am not an expert, but they have a pretty comprehensive DNA file sent to me. My Paternal Lineage is R2A speculation is that it originated in Afghanistan. and unlike other genome did not migrate much. This really does not prove the Scythian theory. All it says that the gene has more similarity with the Pathan gene. Pathan gene could have originated in India. If anyone is interested, Simran Sandhu, is putting up that data on his site (google Jatt Gene), after he has analyzed the data. He is a sikh Jatt interested in DNA related topics.
    pasthuns/pathans of afghanistan are not original inhabitants of afghanistan, they migrated to afghanistan from somewhere else..pathans of afghanistan are considered a casucassian race..i don't think pathans genes were originated in India. Pathans of afghanistan are mostly white while Indian pathans are with mixed colors..againstrengthening the guess that most of the indian people are mixed..
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pashtun_people
    Become more and more innocent, less knowledgeable and more childlike. Take life as fun - because that's precisely what it is!

Quote Originally Posted by prashantacmet View Post
    Pathans of afghanistan are mostly white while Indian pathans are with mixed colors..againstrengthening the guess that most of the indian people are mixed..
    Pathans are mostly white??

Pathans skin color vary from brown to very light. Their eye color vary from blue to green to brown to black. ((Source : I have pashto friends)). There is no ethnic group in the world which doesnt have such variations.
    जागरूक ती अज्ञानी नहीं बनाया जा सके, स्वाभिमानी का अपमान नहीं करा जा सके , निडर ती दबाया नहीं जा सके भाई नुए सामाजिक क्रांति एक बार आ जे तो उसती बदला नहीं जा सके ---ज्याणी जाट।

दोस्त हो या दुश्मन, जाट दोनुआ ने १०० साल ताईं याद राखा करे

Quote Originally Posted by VipinJyani View Post
    Pathans are mostly white??

Pathans skin color vary from brown to very light. Their eye color vary from blue to green to brown to black. ((Source : I have pashto friends)). There is no ethnic group in the world which doesnt have such variations.
    If all ethnic groups have such great variation..why are so much difference between an european and an african??
    how frequent is this variation among pasthuns..most of them are not very light skinned?
    do you belong to a caucassian race?

Pasthuns belongs to causassian race
    Anthropology

Caucasian race includes Pashtun (Afghan), seen on the right bottom row.

Physically and racially, the Pashtuns are classified as Caucasians[12] of the Mediterranean variant.[81] Their Pashto language is classified under the Eastern Iranian sub-branch of the Iranian branch of the Indo-European family of languages.[82]
    Early precursors to the Pashtuns were old Iranian tribes that spread throughout the eastern Iranian plateau.[83] According to the Russian scholar Yu. V. Gankovsky, the Pashtuns probably began as a "union of largely East-Iranian tribes which became the initial ethnic stratum of the Pashtun ethnogenesis, dates from the middle of the first millennium CE and is connected with the dissolution of the Epthalite (White Huns) confederacy." He proposes Kushan-o-Ephthalite origin for Pashtuns.[84][85]

and caucassian is more or less a synonym for "white skinned people"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Caucasian_race

and please don't say this links do not show up right information..........
    Become more and more innocent, less knowledgeable and more childlike. Take life as fun - because that's precisely what it is!

I didnt mean variation as in from white to black. White people among themself have many difference in their skin, color of hair and eye. For a non-white these difference are not that easily visible. Same way as for a 'foreign' person all north indian "look similar" and for us all east Asian may look similar. But a person who has lot of interaction with them can easily tell the difference.

I havent seen many "white pashto". They are generally 'light colored" but their color vary as our does. For a chinease it will be hard to differentiate between a kashmiri,a punjabi and a pashto.

Look at the attached photo of a pashto.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1890-1180.jpg 
Views:	57 
Size:	10.2 KB 
ID:	12107  
    Last edited by VirJ; June 20th, 2011 at 04:21 PM.
    जागरूक ती अज्ञानी नहीं बनाया जा सके, स्वाभिमानी का अपमान नहीं करा जा सके , निडर ती दबाया नहीं जा सके भाई नुए सामाजिक क्रांति एक बार आ जे तो उसती बदला नहीं जा सके ---ज्याणी जाट।

I didnt mean variation as in from white to black. White people among themself have many difference in their skin, color of hair and eye. For a non-white these difference are not that easily visible. Same way as for a 'foreign' person all north indian "look similar" and for us all east Asian may look similar. But a person who has lot of interaction with them can easily tell the difference.

I havent seen many "white pashto". They are generally 'light colored" but their color vary as our does. For a chinease it will be hard to differentiate between a kashmiri,a punjabi and a pashto.
    Agreed. What i want to say that you will see more light skinned pathans in afghanistan in comparsion of India. As scythins/aryans/huns (caucassians race) entered in India from north west, pushed down local people from than region , so probably they could not mix with local people of that area to big extent. But as they moved to central india they mixed with local people more. people of punjab are not so mixed as people of central india..just a hypothesis..

Agreed. What i want to say that you will see more light skinned pathans in afghanistan in comparsion of India.
    If you are refering to pathans of bollywood then they are mostly mixed now. Some like Feroz Khan still looks like Pathan.

If you are refering to dark colored "Khans" from bangladesh,hydrabad or bombay, they are mostly "converts" who adopted Khan sirname upon conversion to islam.

Moreover nature, food and weather has its own effect too, in long run.
    Last edited by VirJ; June 20th, 2011 at 04:52 PM.

do you belong to a caucassian race?
    I belong to Jat. Caucassian is too broader classification. As per some Jat belong to this group. However this is not a synonym of "white people" as you said before.
    Last edited by VirJ; June 20th, 2011 at 04:48 PM.

Open magazine recently ran a cover story on this topic. They sent samples of 5 of their employees and published the details. I am posting one link, but there are related links on the same page that one can check out.
    http://openthemagazine.com/article/l...of-our-origins

16. The Following User Says Thank You to kapdal For This Useful Post:

prashantacmet (June 20th, 2011)

If you are refering to pathans of bollywood then they are mostly mixed now. Some like Feroz Khan still looks like Pathan.

If you are refering to dark colored "Khans" from bangladesh,hydrabad or bombay, they are mostly "converts" who adopted Khan sirname upon conversion to islam.

Moreover nature, food and weather has its own effect too, in long run.
    I am not talking about "Khan" , I am talking about Pathan.

I belong to Jat. Caucassian is too broader classification. As per some Jat belong to this group. However this is not a synonym of "white people" as you said before.
    nope, caucassian is not as complicated as a jat, it is not broader than jat. A jat may be dark, brown, white .... Can you say a dark person a caucassian?

A company called 23andme.com was having a sale on DNA analysis, so I sent my 'spit sample' for analysis. We are Jats from UP. The results came and it showed that my genome clusters with Pathans and next closest cluster was Burusho people of Pakistan (Actually the result was on the cusp of Pathan and Burusho cluster). This is a pretty comprehensive DNA test. I exported the results to a Stanford University DNA analysis website called Interpretnome, and the results was outside the cluster of what it termed as 'South Asian', and again showed similarity with Central Asians and the Pathan group.

This again brings a question of history...perhaps our origins are in central asia/ Afghanistan, and we came down and settled in gangetic valley after Islam took over Afghanistan.
    Yes Pathans and Iranians are very close to us in looks and build. I have also observed the same.

In the past, Ashoka's kingdom was as stretched as far as today's Iran in the east.

Vivek, can you please share the step involved in this process like how long it take and how many samples you need to send?

Email Verification Pending
    Login to view details.
    Meri daadi nyu kahya kare... " Kaala Baahmann (pandit) er bhoora chamaar --- dono khatarnaak hon sein" ----- some scientific or DNA or Scythian theory (???) behind that?

21. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to anilsangwan For This Useful Post:

rekharathee (July 8th, 2011), ssgoyat (June 24th, 2011), VirJ (June 21st, 2011)

Yes Pathans and Iranians are very close to us in looks and build. I have also observed the same.

In the past, Ashoka's kingdom was as stretched as far as today's Iran in the east.

Vivek, can you please share the step involved in this process like how long it take and how many samples you need to send?
    The test from 23andme is not available in India, but essentially they send you a test tube, and you spit in it and add preservative (which they send), and send it back. Harappa ancestry project is a site doing study on sub- continent genome. There are 3-4 punjabi jatts on there. You will find more similarity between subcontinental population then differences (including pathans). Interestingly, the kashmiri sample has less european component than the jatts.

I have sent my Data to Dr. Doug Mcdonald who is an expert in ancestry breakdown. I will post it for fellow Tomars, once I get the result. Currently the breakdown is 94.4% Caucasian 5.6% Asian and 0% African using only three population as the basis.

Aristotle

Paternal lineage is only half the story. Is maternal lineage also included in the test result? On the migration pattern of people over many thousands of years, National Geographic's Genographic Project is providing service. The results tell from where and when migration happened.

Haplogroup R2a is a Y-chromosome haplogroup characterized by genetic markers L266, M124, P249, P267 and PAGES00004,[1][2] and is mainly found in South Asia and southern Central Asia.

More information on: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Haplogroup_R2a_(Y-DNA)

Regards,

Urmila.
    Attention seekers and attention getters are two different class of people.

I firmly believe in Scythian theory of Jat origin. Anyways, I think Afghani Pathans perhaps migrated from Iran and nearby places as both ppl look similar in built, looks. Btw, there's a province in Afghanistan named TAKHAR .. I'm sure there's some linkage between Takhar Gotra and the province.

Am planing to take same test here in Oz, thought 23andme is not available here, though there're few good start-up companies coming like - https://www.lumigenix.com/

Will surely update u all about the result!

Cheers
    Jit

I'm also planing to take the test here in Australia with company named
    .. " Until Lions have their historians, tales of the hunt shall always glorify the hunter! " ..

Dr. McDonald has done his analysis and the result are at (scroll down for my results)

http://blog.jattdna.org/

It seems all the jats are in a cluster and have Finnish/Russian ancestory. The percentage calculated are gathered by drawing straight line between the two similar population. If the Russian/Finnish/Lithuanian also had their origins with Scythians somewhere in Central asia, then the percentage of Scythian blood would be higher. My DNA obviously suggest a mixture, and I am starting to believe the Scythian theory.

Aristotle

26. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to vivek For This Useful Post:

cooljat (June 21st, 2011), prashantacmet (June 22nd, 2011)