Thread: Do you know ?

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by swaich View Post
    Burdak ji, interesting finding about the goddess Mawli.

In my opinion, common goddesses may or may not point towards common origins. Sometimes when communities/ethnicity intermingle or one is conquered by the other, certain deities cross over or gain new worshipers.
    Jaspreet Ji,

I too think in this direction but Bastar and Nagaur are very far off. It means Nagavanshi Rulers of Nagaur had their area of operation up to Bastar district.

I tried to find if there is any Jat connection? We have compiled some Nagavanshi Inscriptional information from Bastar on Jatland. I quote one:

Jatanpal Stone Inscription of Saka Year 1140 (A.D. 1218)

Source - Epigraphia Indica Vol. X (1909-10): A S I, Edited by Sten Konow, Ph.D.,p.40

(Deposited at Jagdalpur)

Jatanpal (जटनपाल) is a village 40 miles from Dantewara in the Bastar State. The inscription records the grant of land by one Kama Nayaka, a subordinate of a chief named Somaraju, under Maharaja Narasimhadeva, in the Saka year 1140, or A. D. 1218. In this year there was an eclipse of the sun and the month of Jyeshtha was intercalary. So it was doubly meritorious to make a gift in that year. Narasirhhadeva of this inscription must certainly be the same as that of Dantewara pillar inscription.

Jatanpal is situated to the north of the Indravati and is inscribed in the Nagari character on a slab measuring 4' x 1' 4-1/2" almost the whole of which is covered with big letters averaging 2". There are altogether 18 lines. Between lines 16 and 17 the imprecatory figures of a pig followed by an ass are inserted. On the top of the inscription there are the figures of the sun and the moon together with small circles in a row apparently representing the remaining 7 planets. The meaning of these is clear. The top figures denote that the grant is to last as long as the navagrahas or the 9 planets endure, while the bottom figures represent a curse on the transgressor of the gift declaring his father an ass and the mother a pig. The language is corrupt Sanskrit prose. The object is to record a grant of land made by one Kama Nayaka to one Bāhilā Pande. Kama Nayaka appears to be a subordinate of a chief named Somaraja under Maharaja Narasimhadeva. The mention of the mother Gangadevi after the king's name is not clear. The date given is the Saka year 1140 without specifying any other details. It corresponds to 1218 A.D. In this year there was an eclipse of the sun and the month, of Jyeshtha was intercalary. So it was doubly meritorious to make a gift in that year.

Narasimhadeva apparently belonged to the Nagavansa dynasty. Some other longer inscriptions of this king have also been found in the Bastar State. Before these are published it will be premature to make any remarks about him.

English translation of Jatanpal Stone Inscription of Saka Year 1140

LL 1-10: Hail ! (while) the illustrious Maharaja-Narasimhadeva-Rao (is ruling) (and) Gangadevi (i.) the mother (and) somaraja (is) the Mandalika, Kama Nayaka gave land, the recipients being Bahila Pande, Medani Pande, Deva-Nayaka, Jamu Sahu, Ghika Sethi and Somai - thee (are) the protectors (of this grant).

LL. 11-15. The killing of a Brahmana, [the killing] of a cow, parricide, the killing of children these are the sins of which [one] who resumes his land shall be guilty. He who resumes the grant given by himself or another is born a worm in hell and (grovels there) for sixty thousand years.

L. 16. The Saka (year) 1140 in figures.

LL. 17-18. He who despoils the land has an ass for (his) father (and) a pig for (his) mother.

You may see Sanskrit text on Jatland at - [Wiki]Jatanpal[/Wiki]

The name of place Jatanpal seems interesting. The king bears title - Rao !. Is it same as Rao clan of Jats ? Naveen Rao Ji may kindly help.

It bears some curious last lines !
    Last edited by lrburdak; October 13th, 2012 at 05:39 PM.
    Laxman Burdak

2. The Following User Says Thank You to lrburdak For This Useful Post:

Moar (October 14th, 2012)