Thread: Religious fanaticism on Jatland

Religious fanaticism on Jatland

Over the last few months, an increase in religious fanaticism can easily be seen on Jatland. While everyone is entitled to their views, Jatland forum rules clearly state that "HATEFUL" & "ABUSIVE" messages won't be tolerated. Some members have been in open breach of these rules and advocated rape, violence & killings amongst other niceties. Below are just a few threads where one can find such instances in several posts:

http://www.jatland.com/forums/showth...ts-of-May-1987
    http://www.jatland.com/forums/showth...g-.....Savdhan-!!!!!!
    http://www.jatland.com/forums/showth...-House-of-Cows

The messages are so abundant that it is just not possible that the responsible moderator hasn't seen any of them. So is this then a wilful abandonment of duty due to one's own ideological positioning?

I can also notice a decrease in participation by many old members to the extent that quite a few have just stopped visiting JL. While the reason for that can be many, I won't be surprised if people don't want to associate themselves with a site where rapes, murders and fanaticism is freely advocated and goes unchecked.

I hope something is done about this, otherwise JL is on the fast track to become like Rediff messageboards - a free-for-all online gutter (rather than home that it aims to be).

2. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to kapdal For This Useful Post:

deepgill (October 17th, 2011), Moar (October 19th, 2011), singhvp (October 15th, 2011), urmiladuhan (October 15th, 2011), vicky84 (October 16th, 2011), vijay (February 20th, 2012), vijaykajla1 (October 15th, 2011), ZaildarTejSeng (September 7th, 2014)

Moderation on Jatland has never been free from religious and political bias but the downwards spiral in recent months Is really worrisome, at least for those who have some concern for this useful platform, which could otherwise have been utilized in many ways for betterment of our community and the country as a whole. If the current trend continues unchecked and the fanatics sheltered by a few vigilantes nurturing political ambitions are allowed to misuse the site with impunity, the day is not far off when it will be completely reduced to a junkyard for playfully frivolous statements by vested interests. The site’s credibility is at state. The Administrators have an ethical responsibility to save this platform from being a tool in the hands of those who want to pursue their hidden political agenda by playing religious card, spreading misinformation through their frothy statements, misguiding the youth, thereby hijacking this site and scaring away well-meaning and civilized members by their dirty antics. There is no dearth of highly educated and civilized people in our community whose services could have been used for spreading awareness and constructive information through this portal. Regrettably most of them are wary to join this site because of poor or non-existent moderation, sub-standard texture; and hostile atmospherics. Whatever little moderation is visible once in a blue moon seems to safeguarding the interests of those whose political opinion and religious ideology synchronizes with that of the ideological leaning of the moderators.
    Last edited by singhvp; October 15th, 2011 at 10:05 AM.

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to singhvp For This Useful Post:

deepgill (October 17th, 2011), Fateh (December 16th, 2011), Moar (October 19th, 2011)

so true,
    this site is being hijacked by morons who don't even know how to write properly
    forget about expecting any restraint or personal moderation from them,
    they are just literate enough to connect to the internet and then somehow manage to type few words, and then vent-out all their bitterness and abhorrence over here without even thinking once.
    it's time for moderators to take an action and maintain the much deserved decorum and sanctity of this site.
    It is by luck that you get the chance to be the cause of someone's happiness,
    I love to grab these chances

6. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Mishti For This Useful Post:

deepgill (October 17th, 2011), Moar (October 19th, 2011), vicky84 (May 17th, 2013), vijay (February 20th, 2012)

There is a funny element in this fanaticism too, Kapil. These egregarious loggerheads are cocksure that Hindu religion is at stake but don't know from whom and how. However, firmly disable in understanding and comprehanding the facts and rationals of religion. They are just in love with the idea of ''Lets Save religion'' without understanding the depth of its survival over centuaries. In my opinion they are equvivalent to third grade brainwashed Jihadis who even won't go out to perform Jihad because if they will go they will shyt in their pants. So its comfortable to be an Internet Hindu Nerd. Fight over keyboard and save religion on screen to satisfy fragile ego maelstorm.Their partisanship is limited to internet and screen. They must be sneered and insulted heavily in every single post if moderation somehow allow them on the basis of flawful argument of freedom of speech.
    "All I am trying to do is bridge the gap between Jats and Rest of World"

As I shall imagine, so shall I become.

8. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Samarkadian For This Useful Post:

deepgill (October 17th, 2011), Fateh (December 16th, 2011), Mishti (October 15th, 2011), Moar (October 19th, 2011), Prikshit (October 17th, 2011), vicky84 (May 17th, 2013), vijay (February 20th, 2012), vijaykajla1 (October 15th, 2011)

For clarity, I don't want this thread to be considered as another rant against moderators/admins. Moderation is a tough & thankless job and there will always be complaints of the type - (why was my post deleted, why was I given infraction, etc.). That is a question of effective moderation - legitimate concern, but not the issue here.

The question here is that why a blatant violation of JL rules is being tolerated? The messages are not only hateful & abusive; but also probably illegal. Not that I am a law expert, but I would be surprised if it is legal to say or contain on the forum posts that say - let's kill and rape members of a particular community to teach them a lesson. And it is clearly not a one-off instance that wasn't noticed.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to kapdal For This Useful Post:

vijay (February 20th, 2012)

Quote Originally Posted by kapdal View Post
    For clarity, I don't want this thread to be considered as another rant against moderators/admins. Moderation is a tough & thankless job and there will always be complaints of the type - (why was my post deleted, why was I given infraction, etc.). That is a question of effective moderation - legitimate concern, but not the issue here.

The question here is that why a blatant violation of JL rules is being tolerated? The messages are not only hateful & abusive; but also probably illegal. Not that I am a law expert, but I would be surprised if it is legal to say or contain on the forum posts that say - let's kill and rape members of a particular community to teach them a lesson. And it is clearly not a one-off instance that wasn't noticed.
    the members must come forward themselves to create an environment where such ideas are discouraged. don't just watch and nothing - instead do something. each one must do their bit to make this community a progressive, intellectual, fluorishing place.
    Attention seekers and attention getters are two different class of people.

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to urmiladuhan For This Useful Post:

Fateh (December 16th, 2011), lrburdak (October 17th, 2011), Moar (October 19th, 2011)

This is a very good thing brought to our notice. Instead of putting the onus on others we can rescrict ourselves from doing such things.
    If still some people are not adhere to the guidelines we can definately take some action against them, may be ban them.
    -- Freedom is not worth having if it does not include the freedom to make mistakes.
    -- When you talk, you are only repeating what you already know. But if you listen, you may learn something new.

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Prikshit For This Useful Post:

lrburdak (October 17th, 2011), Moar (October 19th, 2011)

Quote Originally Posted by Mishti View Post
    so true,
    this site is being hijacked by morons who don't even know how to write properly
    forget about expecting any restraint or personal moderation from them,
    they are just literate enough to connect to the internet and then somehow manage to type few words, and then vent-out all their bitterness and abhorrence over here without even thinking once.
    it's time for moderators to take an action and maintain the much deserved decorum and sanctity of this site.
    I wonder if people look at themselves before pointing fingers at others? A reflection in the mirror may give some clues about the images one see on the others.

I have been using this site for a long time now and I have never felt hijacked. Even the thought of being hijacked never came to me.

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Arvindc For This Useful Post:

Prikshit (October 17th, 2011), rajpaldular (October 17th, 2011)

Quote Originally Posted by urmiladuhan View Post
    the members must come forward themselves to create an environment where such ideas are discouraged. don't just watch and nothing - instead do something. each one must do their bit to make this community a progressive, intellectual, fluorishing place.
    Yeah, the way we do it in day-to-day life.

Jat's are known for their intolerance towards injustice! IAC is a an example, there was over-willing huge presence of community and its leaders in the Ramlila maidan.
    Last edited by Arvindc; October 17th, 2011 at 04:15 PM.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Arvindc For This Useful Post:

Prikshit (October 17th, 2011)

Don't put light on negativity but bring some good ideas to get out of it.

Arvind has said very relevant thing of "intolerance towards injustice" is one thing which makes us different from others.
    -- Freedom is not worth having if it does not include the freedom to make mistakes.
    -- When you talk, you are only repeating what you already know. But if you listen, you may learn something new.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to Prikshit For This Useful Post:

Moar (November 28th, 2011)

Lots of cleaning going on JL these days. Maybe some mod can take cognizance of atleast the examples mentioned in the opening post of this thread?

Some 10 posts of mine were deleted last week for being offtopic - I am not complaining as they were off-topic. But I guess HATEFUL and ABUSIVE messages should have a higher priority on any mod's agenda whatever their religious / political views are?

22. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to kapdal For This Useful Post:

cooljat (November 28th, 2011), deshi-jat (November 28th, 2011), Fateh (December 16th, 2011), JSRana (November 28th, 2011), Moar (November 28th, 2011), Prikshit (November 28th, 2011), singhvp (November 28th, 2011), vijay (February 20th, 2012)

Apparently it is still on. Every now and then, I can see threads running on hatred towards other communities specially Muslims. I wonder where we are heading as a community.

Quote Originally Posted by Arvindc View Post
    I wonder if people look at themselves before pointing fingers at others? A reflection in the mirror may give some clues about the images one see on the others.

I have been using this site for a long time now and I have never felt hijacked. Even the thought of being hijacked never came to me.
    Ok, it may be childish on my part to reply to such an old post, but I just saw it today. I don’t see any need of you quoting me as nowhere can u find any abusive post by me. I wonder why do I need to look in the mirror!!
    You ought to give some merit to my other point, of the site being hijacked by some morons, as almost on every thread you can find people directly targeting others or abusing them via monickers and please don’t get me started on how some JL’ers talk about other castes and religions.
    I hope and I would like to believe this is not what the site is for and I expressed the same! I don't know how you feel at home amongst this mud-slinging.

Quote Originally Posted by Mishti View Post
    Ok, it may be childish on my part to reply to such an old post, but I just saw it today. I don’t see any need of you quoting me as nowhere can u find any abusive post by me. I wonder why do I need to look in the mirror!!
    You ought to give some merit to my other point, of the site being hijacked by some morons, as almost on every thread you can find people directly targeting others or abusing them via monickers and please don’t get me started on how some JL’ers talk about other castes and religions.
    I hope and I would like to believe this is not what the site is for and I expressed the same! I don't know how you feel at home amongst this mud-slinging.
    I found your post too negative of other people. Particularly your line "they are just literate enough to connect to the internet and then somehow manage to type few words, "

Does knowing fantastic english, or literature for that matter, makes one all honky-donky?

Yeah, I enjoy the mud bath and I recommend it to you as well. It's so refreshing and one feels close to nature.

26. The Following User Says Thank You to Arvindc For This Useful Post:

sivach (May 18th, 2013)

Quote Originally Posted by Arvindc View Post
    I found your post too negative of other people. Particularly your line "they are just literate enough to connect to the internet and then somehow manage to type few words, "

Does knowing fantastic english, or literature for that matter, makes one all honky-donky?

Yeah, I enjoy the mud bath and I recommend it to you as well. It's so refreshing and one feels close to nature.
    I never said that! infact persons I was talking about never even wrote properly in hindi.
    Around the time concerned post was written, there were quite a few people who just came on JL to rant about muslims and certain caste or to abuse other members. It was getting over the top.
    Anyways, you keep enjoying your mud-bath; hope it'll keep you cool this summer.

Ok. How about those who join the portal for the sake of their political vendetta, go off the radar when elections are over, come back when elections are nearing again, guage the political views of others, try to emboss their views, act according to their high-command agenda, pops up the dying threads frequently to indulge people again in $N%&^ and perhaps will go off radar once again?

And as always, the thread has digressed from the topic

29. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to malikdeepak1 For This Useful Post:

cooljat (May 18th, 2013), rajpaldular (May 20th, 2013), rekhasmriti (May 18th, 2013)

Even under utter provocation by the vested interests,

maintaining one's cool and composure and then engaging

them in some healthy discussion, is the only reply to disarm them !
    Last edited by DrRajpalSingh; May 20th, 2013 at 11:54 AM.
    History is best when created, better when re-constructed and worst when invented.

31. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DrRajpalSingh For This Useful Post:

Arvindc (May 20th, 2013), desijat (May 20th, 2013)

Quote Originally Posted by DrRajpalSingh View Post
    Even under utter provocation by the vested interests,

maintaining one's cool and composure and then engaging

them in some healthy discussion, is the only reply to disarm them !

Ignorance is not always a bliss! You need to use Tit for Tat under certain circumstances.

33. The Following User Says Thank You to malikdeepak1 For This Useful Post:

cooljat (May 21st, 2013)

Quote Originally Posted by malikdeepak1 View Post
    Ignorance is not always a bliss! You need to use Tit for Tat under certain circumstances.
    First part of your post, agreeable. But this must not be resorted as the first and the only one way to tackle the situation.

As all the users here are brethern and sisters so they will listen to reason sooner than later.

So other moderate methods will do, it is hoped.
    History is best when created, better when re-constructed and worst when invented.

Quote Originally Posted by kapdal View Post
    Over the last few months, an increase in religious fanaticism can easily be seen on Jatland. While everyone is entitled to their views, Jatland forum rules clearly state that "HATEFUL" & "ABUSIVE" messages won't be tolerated. Some members have been in open breach of these rules and advocated rape, violence & killings amongst other niceties. Below are just a few threads where one can find such instances in several posts:

http://www.jatland.com/forums/showth...ts-of-May-1987
    http://www.jatland.com/forums/showth...g-.....Savdhan-!!!!!!
    http://www.jatland.com/forums/showth...-House-of-Cows

The messages are so abundant that it is just not possible that the responsible moderator hasn't seen any of them. So is this then a wilful abandonment of duty due to one's own ideological positioning?

I can also notice a decrease in participation by many old members to the extent that quite a few have just stopped visiting JL. While the reason for that can be many, I won't be surprised if people don't want to associate themselves with a site where rapes, murders and fanaticism is freely advocated and goes unchecked.

I hope something is done about this, otherwise JL is on the fast track to become like Rediff messageboards - a free-for-all online gutter (rather than home that it aims to be).
    The message posted through this thread on October 15, 2011 seems to be as relevant today as it was when posted.

Are the members ready to listen to the piece of advice of the fellow member? your comments please !!!!