Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: Is knowing English is a must to get good life and career ?

आच्छा, टोपिक का बेरा सै तै फेर तू बोलती क्यू ना किम्मै, कित कूण मै लुकी बेठी सै? अक कंठ दुखणे आ रे सै ?

Quote Originally Posted by neetu21 View Post
    Guys, please don't go off-topic!!!! Discussion is about "Is knowing English is a must to get good life and career ?"

2. The Following User Says Thank You to deshi-jat For This Useful Post:

Dagar25 (November 20th, 2011)

Please either write relevant to topic, or don't post at all!! There is no need for such off-topic remarks! You people first post such remarks, and then create a hullabaloo over deleted posts!!

Quote Originally Posted by deshi-jat View Post
    आच्छा, टोपिक का बेरा सै तै फेर तू बोलती क्यू ना किम्मै, कित कूण मै लुकी बेठी सै? अक कंठ दुखणे आ रे सै ?

Last edited by neetu21; November 20th, 2011 at 12:08 AM. Reason: Spelling mistake!
    If you tell the truth you don't have to remember anything.

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to neetu21 For This Useful Post:

deependra (November 21st, 2011), Prikshit (November 21st, 2011), ssgoyat (November 21st, 2011)

स्याणी, तनै खूब relevant लिख्या...............

Please either write relevant to topic, or don't post at all!! There is no need for such off-topic remarks! You people fist post such remarks, and then create a hullabaloo over deleted posts!!

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to deshi-jat For This Useful Post:

Dagar25 (November 20th, 2011), urmiladuhan (November 20th, 2011)

Good catch Krishan ji !
    स्याणी, तनै खूब relevant लिख्या...............

If you tell the truth you don't have to remember anything.

Neetu,
    I am not eligible for titles such as; ji, sir or addressing with surname. I am a simple minded person from a village. So just say Krishan

Good catch Krishan ji !
    Last edited by deshi-jat; November 20th, 2011 at 12:19 AM.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to deshi-jat For This Useful Post:

urmiladuhan (November 20th, 2011)

It is pretty simple that English is not a prerequisite to lead a good life. You need money only to lead a good life and which can be earned without knowledge of English language. However, knowledge of English is must for high end jobs in corporate sector due to globalisation where as basic knowledge of English language is enough for most of jobs.
    Yoginder Gulia

11. The Following User Says Thank You to ygulia For This Useful Post:

Dagar25 (November 20th, 2011)

जाट भाइयों,

भाषा चाहे कोए भी हो, उसका ज्ञान होणा कोए बुरी बात कोणी. कददे ना कददे काम आ सके सै.

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to amitneh For This Useful Post:

Dagar25 (November 21st, 2011), deependra (November 21st, 2011)

Guys, please don't go off-topic!!!! Discussion is about "Is knowing English is a must to get good life and career ?"
    I think as long as people don't get abusive and start fighting , it is O.K to let them talk around the topic also if that is how the conversation is progressing naturally. Otherwise, the thread looses its relaxed, informal atmosphere - so vital in a social setting.
    Attention seekers and attention getters are two different class of people.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to urmiladuhan For This Useful Post:

Dagar25 (November 21st, 2011)

Quote Originally Posted by ygulia View Post
    It is pretty simple that English is not a prerequisite to lead a good life. You need money only to lead a good life and which can be earned without knowledge of English language. However, knowledge of English is must for high end jobs in corporate sector due to globalisation where as basic knowledge of English language is enough for most of jobs.
    Knowledge of English is also necessary to communicate in this increasingly global environment, also necessarry for technical expertise as most new scientific information is published in English, also necessary for socialization in a global sort of environment. English is a great language to converse in, I think.

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to urmiladuhan For This Useful Post:

deependra (November 21st, 2011), deshi-jat (November 20th, 2011)

Quote Originally Posted by Prikshit View Post
    English is a must in todays time.
    Not knowing it well is a great hindrance to get good jobs.
    How many of you agree to the abovementioned ?
    Please share your views on it.
    having knowledge is not sufficient/ is not enough....becoz you can't work in isolation. you need to communicate with ur fellow beings formally as well as informally. I strongly believe that good communication will always add to your qualification and knowledge. Learning different different languages is always widen your range of communication with the world. and as English is of the common spoken language so it better to have knowledge of it.

19. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to nehasinghaz For This Useful Post:

deependra (November 21st, 2011), deshi-jat (November 20th, 2011), JSRana (November 21st, 2011), urmiladuhan (November 20th, 2011)

Dear Mr. Chillar
    Your question is vague. But I guess that you wish to say that good knowledge of English is a must for getting good jobs. By getting a good job you will lead happy life. Well! You are quite right. A little working knowledge is essential. Otherwise one may feel bad in company of "Kaale Angrez" (Black Indian). You must admire your own language but at the same time you need to grow your standard of English. This advice should not be taken adversely. It's general advice which I can authentically state as I have served the Central Government as an English teacher for more than 27 years.

21. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to mandeep333 For This Useful Post:

deependra (November 21st, 2011), deshi-jat (November 20th, 2011), JSRana (November 21st, 2011), preetikhatri (November 20th, 2011), urmiladuhan (November 20th, 2011)

Quote Originally Posted by amitneh View Post
    जाट भाइयों,

भाषा चाहे कोए भी हो, उसका ज्ञान होणा कोए बुरी बात कोणी. कददे ना कददे काम आ सके सै.
    Bebe bhi hein Jatland.com pae. Aap shayed un sae baat karna pasand nahee kartee - is it so?

23. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to urmiladuhan For This Useful Post:

Dagar25 (November 21st, 2011), deshi-jat (November 20th, 2011), ndalal (April 14th, 2012)

Quote Originally Posted by mandeep333 View Post
    Dear Mr. Chillar
    Your question is vague. But I guess that you wish to say that good knowledge of English is a must for getting good jobs. By getting a good job you will lead happy life. Well! You are quite right. A little working knowledge is essential. Otherwise one may feel bad in company of "Kaale Angrez" (Black Indian). You must admire your own language but at the same time you need to grow your standard of English. This advice should not be taken adversely. It's general advice which I can authentically state as I have served the Central Government as an English teacher for more than 27 years.
    I have heard this (“Kaale Angrez" (Black Indian)) terminology for the first time, can you elaborate it.
    Yoginder Gulia

25. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ygulia For This Useful Post:

Dagar25 (November 21st, 2011), vicky84 (November 21st, 2011)

There is the so-called English/Western style and then there is the English language. I see a majority of youth pining for the former. They want to converse in Hinglish that looks "hi-fi" and write in sms lingo. In fact, I think most people working in call centers don't have a correct grammatical understanding of English language. They are just taught to speak in fake accents.

As far as the language is concerned, there is nothing wrong in knowing any language. I would love to know other Indian/foreign languages. I know the most theth Haryanvis who have an impeccable hold on English vocabulary and grammar. And they'd probably be one-up on many people on this forum in Haryanvi vocabulary as well. So it is only laughable when people suggest that knowing English well makes you less of an Indian/Haryanvi/Jat.

What language(s) you can know well is a matter of circumstances. But there should be atleast a language that you can read, write and speak well. What you speak well may be different from what you read/write well.

Most of the developed world works in their own native language right uptill the top. They exchange emails, letters, documents, spreadsheets, plans, etc. in their native languages. Even there, the "elites" know English as that has become the inter-connecting language for the world. In India, we don't even work in our native languages apart from the so-called low-end jobs. Why that is the case is a different topic. But if you think in "it is what it is", and want a high-paying private job, then knowing English is very advantageous. Of course, that doesn't define "success" - which can mean different things to different people.

27. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to kapdal For This Useful Post:

Arvindc (November 21st, 2011), cooljat (November 21st, 2011), deependra (November 21st, 2011), Prikshit (November 21st, 2011), sanjeev_balyan (November 21st, 2011), ssgoyat (November 21st, 2011), vicky84 (November 21st, 2011), vikda (December 27th, 2011), ygulia (November 21st, 2011)

ना गलत बात. ये ज़नाब कामयाबी/सफलता की बात नहीं कर रहे. एशो-आराम की बात कर रहे है और वो सिर्फ अंग्रेजी जबान का इल्म होने से ही मिल सकता है. अगर अंग्रेजी नहीं आती तो दरअसल उस आदमी की कोई जिन्दगी नहीं और ना कोई कैरियर. कम-से-कम उनके ख़त से तो मैं ऐसा ही समझ पाया हूँ.
    आपको सिर्फ अपनी राय बतानी है की आप ज़नाब की बात से इत्तिफाक रखते है या नहीं? अगर नहीं तो फिर अपना नजरिया/ख्यालात बयां करें

Krishan thanks for telling me that the title in no apt, I'l ponder over it. Well I guess you are mistaken on the essence of the thread. I have done B.tech and I have some 15-20 cases who were very intelligent(Technically), today they are jobless just becuase there English comm skills were not good. I agree the jobs which you have mentioned don't need much of it, but you must agree that if we put it like good communication is required over there also. I don't remember the name but somebody mentioned the weightage of english in various exams. Infact the jobs which you have mentioned also have more or less same exam pattern.

I don't know why you taking this thread as offensive, I too have penchant of hindi as most of us does.
    Keeping views is one thing and correcting is one thing but simply nagging something is somewhat in my opinoin is not justified.
    -- Freedom is not worth having if it does not include the freedom to make mistakes.
    -- When you talk, you are only repeating what you already know. But if you listen, you may learn something new.

Quote Originally Posted by urmiladuhan View Post
    I think you have failed to understand the essence in Krishan's post. Please don't blame others for your own inadequacies.
    This thread is about sharing your views, your views are welcome.
    Judgement on my capabiliity or shortcomings is not required from you. As many rational people are around from whom I can learn from.
    Thank for the concern by the way.
    -- Freedom is not worth having if it does not include the freedom to make mistakes.
    -- When you talk, you are only repeating what you already know. But if you listen, you may learn something new.

Quote Originally Posted by mandeep333 View Post
    Dear Mr. Chillar
    Thanks for your valuable suggestions Mandeep ji. I am just a beginner, so prone to making mistakes. I really admire the way you kept your points and advised me the areas for improvement.

I have not started this thread to demean our mother tongue by any means. I have high respect and regards to my language. But if we see the present scenario there is no denying fact that English is a prerequisite in an era of globalization. At all levels of education we need it, most of the job requirements have a clause "Good knowledge of English is required". Please correct me where I am wrong. As I have mentioned in one of my previous post that many people with sound knowledge are jobless because they are not good at English.

ना भाई मै क्यों offensive होऊंगा. अंग्रेजी काम चलाऊ सी तो तनै आवै सै, इंटरव्यु मै थोडा ढंग ते पेश कार्या कर खुद नै. एक तै एक लड़धू बैठे सै अच्छी-अच्छी कंपनिया में, अपने दिमाक मै न्यू ना राख्या कर इंटरव्यु क टैम की मेरी अंग्रेजी कमजोर सै.
    बी टैक कर राखी सै या तो बढ़िया बात सै अर मौका मिल ज्या तो mba कर लिये ठीक सी जगांह तै. ऐकले बी टैक का ज्यादा प्रोमोशन का स्कोप ना सै आगे करियर मै

Krishan thanks for telling me that the title in no apt, I'l ponder over it. Well I guess you are mistaken on the essence of the thread. I have done B.tech and I have some 15-20 cases who were very intelligent(Technically), today they are jobless just becuase there English comm skills were not good. I agree the jobs which you have mentioned don't need much of it, but you must agree that if we put it like good communication is required over there also. I don't remember the name but somebody mentioned the weightage of english in various exams. Infact the jobs which you have mentioned also have more or less same exam pattern.

I don't know why you taking this thread as offensive, I too have penchant of hindi as most of us does.
    Keeping views is one thing and correcting is one thing but simply nagging something is somewhat in my opinoin is not justified.

ना भाई मै क्यों offensive होऊंगा. अंग्रेजी काम चलाऊ सी तो तनै आवै सै, इंटरव्यु मै थोडा ढंग ते पेश कार्या कर खुद नै. एक तै एक लड़धू बैठे सै अच्छी-अच्छी कंपनिया में, अपने दिमाक मै न्यू ना राख्या कर इंटरव्यु क टैम की मेरी अंग्रेजी कमजोर सै.
    बी टैक कर राखी सै या तो बढ़िया बात सै अर मौका मिल ज्या तो mba कर लिये ठीक सी जगांह तै. ऐकले बी टैक का ज्यादा प्रोमोशन का स्कोप ना सै आगे करियर मै

Tai " Aan beta ke kara kare?"
    Chora "Tai mein Police DSP hoon"
    Tai "Chokha beta tanne raam tola e thanedar banawe"
    Dream is not what you see while sleeping. Dream is that which won't let you sleep

33. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to rakeshsehrawat For This Useful Post:

ndalal (April 14th, 2012), preetikhatri (November 21st, 2011), rekharathee (March 26th, 2012)

Will this thread lead to any conclusion? Reading most of the posts it can be concluded that Survival without English is not possible today and it is the requirement of time that we accept this fact. I agree with Prikshit that most of the fellows who dont have good command over english fail to get jobs despite having excellent technical knowledge of their field.

How many employers are there who prefer non-english speakers. Very few.......and gradually would be near to nil. I think english speaking people are in privileged position and so parents also want their child to be well conversant with this language.....that's why English speakers are increasing.....technology also making us to learn this language...now everyone has mobile, computer etc......of which functions are in english. No one can dare to ignore english....person living in posh area of delhi and gurgaon cannot even understand some of the words of the hindi...they also dont like communication in hindi and give more regards to people who use english. The situation is same everywhere.....if you talk two-three sentences in english......you will be understood a gentleman and you will get priority over others......

The other side---Dear members should also accept that english is changing our culture too. It is not bad to own english but will it be good if in future, there will be more english speakers than hindi speakers. if all goes like this......days are not far when english may become our national language informally. Our hindi is good as we all have been brought up in an hindi speaking environment as most of our parents are hindi speakers and have studied Hindi upto secondary level but our offspring would grow in an english speaking environment. Hindi as of now, maybe a compulsory subject in school upto secondary level.........can its mandatory nature be guarnteed in future keeping in mind Present importance given to english. Except govt. schools, I think in most of the schools, teachers use to teach in english and encourage students to speak in english in future this will increase more......They will use english everywhere...in schools, among friends( Status symbol), at home(as parents will encourage them to have an advantage over others) so where would they speak in hindi......On JATland....so in future there will be fall of hindi and would in turn lead to fall of hindu culture too as language takes birth from culture. if the language changed.....culture would also gets affected or may get changed.

So dear members.......english future is bright.....own english with open arms if you want your future bright. It has spread everywhere in our life and there is no escape. A person who has good command over english can never be unemployed but a person who dont know english very well may become unemployed despite having good technical skills or excellent knowledge of their field.

Note:- Every person is unique and so his thinking way. I have posted my own views and it is not necessary that others also think like that. I would appreciate critics.
    Last edited by Dagar25; November 21st, 2011 at 06:08 PM.