Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Is knowledge of english a boon or bane?

Post Is knowledge of english a boon or bane?

With the enhancement in International Relationship & Communication can we as Bhartiya/Hinustanis consider acceptable knowledge of a language foreign to us a boon or a bane? Countries like China, Japan, Russia, Germany, France do not look forward to the essential knowledge of English. On the other hand we the Bhartiya/Hindustanis feel elated in showing off our profound knowledge of "psedeo-English language & culture". Even our Bollywood film stars prefer script written in Roman alphabet!!!
    I am bewildered but at the same time I must candidly say that I am not against English as a language to learn. My only contention is our showing off unwanted knowledge of this language. We have to understand the difference between dire necessity & show off!

2. The Following User Says Thank You to mandeep333 For This Useful Post:

sukhbirhooda (February 17th, 2012)

I am totally agree with you mandeep sir...........some ppl really flaunt their english communication skills....and consider it as a social status....ppl who speak english are understood more qualified and educated......it is different thing they may not have good knowledge of their particular field......

I am also not against learning and using english in conversation but it is shame for whole country that English is forcing us to change not only our language but also our culture too... you can see almost all the schools impart education in english medium...the coming generations would be of english speakers only..how many parents encourage their children to learn hindi..... how many feel proud in knowing and learning hindi........and how many can survive by becoming hindi speaker?

I am not against english but the ppl who dont want to learn english.........can survive with same respect as an english speaker gets. indians are obsessed with english........

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Dagar25 For This Useful Post:

Friends,

As we know that language is a means of communication and as a matter of fact over the years English has acquired the status of lingua-franca as it is understood to some extent all over the country. Therefore, there is no harm in learning and using it as a safe medium of expression. So far as 'showing off' is concerned, that depends on the upbring and varies among different persons. If some hollow people show off what they are, it has nothing to do with their command on the language. Have we not seen that 'showy' people never hide their liking to show off in their way of hand shaking, body language, dress and like that.

In the fast changing scenario when the globe is becoming an enlarged family or village, acquisition of international knowledge through any of the international language (of courseincluding English) is a boon

6. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to DrRajpalSingh For This Useful Post:

amit_sheoran (December 25th, 2011), deependra (December 19th, 2011), rajneeshantil (December 22nd, 2011), singhvp (December 22nd, 2011), sukhbirhooda (February 17th, 2012), sunillathwal (December 31st, 2011), urmiladuhan (December 18th, 2011), ygulia (December 19th, 2011)

Dear Mandeep,

Whether we like it or not, knowing English and knowing it well is the need of the day.

Jats are losing the race because of their intransigence - We DON'T NEED ENGLISH!

I have personally come across instances where people from across the country come to the metropolis and through hit & trial and consistent effort gain mastery over the language. But the scene is totally different with people from our community. Any attempt to motivate fellow community members to pick up the nuances of English language is not taken in a positive manner by them. That is one of the main reasons for their being ignored for some of the very good job openings despite their being well qualified, intelligent and otherwise capable.

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to AbhikRana For This Useful Post:

deependra (December 19th, 2011), sukhbirhooda (February 17th, 2012), vicky84 (December 19th, 2011)

Quote Originally Posted by AbhikRana View Post
    Dear Mandeep,

That is one of the main reasons for their being ignored for some of the very good job openings despite their being well qualified, intelligent and otherwise capable.
    You are absolutely right!! I give you one example of everlasting impression of English on Indians. Yesterday I was watching MTV Roadies auditions. There were like 5-7 contestants. Raghu hosts the program. He interviewed contestants one by one.
    And there was a girl who had a command over English. She sang a short tune of Rihanna's song, Umbrella. And off she goes. She cleared the round!! Impressive!! Haha!! And other contestants who were not good in english were finding it hard to make in.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to vicky84 For This Useful Post:

deependra (December 19th, 2011), sukhbirhooda (February 17th, 2012)

Yes English is must in today's world. India is getting a lot of business because of good command over English. But I think our economy should not rely completely over this labour based outsourcing work. In a short term its good as we are able to make money from this type of business but in long term I doubt it. We should not rely on this robot type labour work. I completely agree with Chetan Bhagat's comments on Infosys. We are running body shops around the country!! If we stay on this path for long term, I doubt India will be able sustain Economy growth.

I think government should invest lot of money in research so that India can be hub of technology. Get the royalty on the patents and sell the technology to rest of the world. I think, this is a long term solution for our country. This will not only help us in strengthening our economy but will also make us proud!
    Last edited by vicky84; December 19th, 2011 at 06:08 AM.

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to vicky84 For This Useful Post:

deependra (December 19th, 2011), singhvp (December 19th, 2011), sukhbirhooda (February 17th, 2012)

Chetan Bhagat's remarks on Infosys:

http://www.indianexpress.com/news/mu...bhagat/856103/

Chetan Bhagat, an IIT alumnus turned-celebrity writer, took umbrage at Infosys chairman emeritus N R Narayana Murthy's "sweeping" comments on the quality of engineers churned out by premier IITs.Slamming Murthy, Bhagat said today that such comments should not have come from a person who runs a "body shopping" company and calls it "hi-tech."

"It is ironic when someone who runs a body shopping company and calls it hi-tech, makes sweeping comments on the quality of IIT students," said Bhagat in a tweet on the microblogging site Twitter.

Taking up cudgels for the students from the country's centres of excellence, Bhagat referred to the contribution of IIT students in the making of Information Technology (IT) major Infosys.
    "IITians have made a great contribution in making Infosys what it is. Hope people remember that," said Bhagat, who did his Mechanical Engineering from IIT, Delhi.

I also believe that knowledge or ability of any language is always good and specially the knowledge of english due to its vider acceptability in India and in more countries of the world, but certainly it should not get into head like sanskrit which was used by brahamins to fool the Indian masses. regards I

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Fateh For This Useful Post:

I have come to understand that fluency in English is imperative and need of hour. At the same time I perceive that we need not only to know this language accurately but also fluently. We must understand that little knowledge is a very dangerous thing. Therefore, I put the emphasis on the knowledge of the wrong syllables that mar the beauty of any language. Two things need to be taken care of.
    1. Knowledge of the language.
    2. Its accurate and understandable use.

17. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to mandeep333 For This Useful Post:

deependra (December 19th, 2011), Fateh (December 20th, 2011), JSRana (December 20th, 2011), sukhbirhooda (February 17th, 2012)

In scientific parlance, language is nothing more than sound particles which help the living creatures to communicate with each other. With the evolution of mankind and human civilization the different gestures and sounds got concretised and acquired the shape of languages. With passage of time, certain languages became symbols of elitism as the speakers of those languages were considered more powerful, civilized and torch bearers of mannerism by those who were relatively inferior; economically, militarily or otherwise. English was one such language which acquired the status of the “Queen Language” – thanks to the might of British Imperialism. With the spread of British colonialism, English started spreading its influence and gradually became a lingua franca of the world. Now the things have come to such a pass that no country can afford to ignore this mighty language which is spoken by more than 750 million people all over the world and widely spoken by the majority in more than 50 countries.

Therefore, I don’t see any reason to be allergic to English which has become indispensable in the global village. It should rather be taught as a compulsory subject of curriculum in all the streams of education. English has been one of the grey areas of the rural folks who are shy of expressing themselves in English with eloquence even after reaching at the peak of their academic career. I have seen people with non-English & rural background having high status in bureaucratic hierarchy and even some academics with many degrees, fumbling for words during discussion in English. At individual level too, people must try to develop their skills in written and spoken English. It would certainly add to their personality and intellectual level. For professionals working in multi-national companies and international organisations, English is essential and people working there are supposed to have a reasonably good command over written as well as spoken English. Therefore, good knowledge of English would certainly help them in elevation of their career. English also helps us in interaction with people of other languages as it is spoken by people of all hues. But, having said that, I would like to suggest that English should not be allowed to flourish at the cost of our native languages and dialects. We have to be selective in use of English and should not attach less importance to our native languages and dialects. Nowadays, English is becoming more a symbolism of modernity than a tool to achieve success in certain fields. I have seen people, especially ladies, who prohibit use of Hindi or the native dialect by their children (and also husbands in some cases). This type of attitude is nothing short of a mental slavery and intellectual bankruptcy.

Conclusively, English is a window which opens towards rest of the world. Hence, it is a boon.
    Last edited by singhvp; December 20th, 2011 at 12:16 PM.

19. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to singhvp For This Useful Post:

deependra (December 19th, 2011), deshi-jat (December 20th, 2011), DrRajpalSingh (December 19th, 2011), Fateh (December 20th, 2011), JSRana (December 20th, 2011), malikdeepak1 (December 22nd, 2011), mandeep333 (December 20th, 2011), MOHITKUMAR (December 22nd, 2011), riyaa (December 20th, 2011), sukhbirhooda (February 17th, 2012)

Is knowledge of english a boon or bane? Jo samajh lae uske liye boon jo na samjhe uske liye bane, Knowledge is a good thing to gain..And I dont think there is any harm in learning english it definately help.
    https://www.facebook.com/NewHaryana/

21. The Following User Says Thank You to riyaa For This Useful Post:

Inadequate knowledge of English may become a bane. I am quoting a condolence message circulated by one educated modern youth on a yahoo group mail box (consisting of some employees of a particular department) consequent upon untimely demise of one member of that particular group. Please pay attention on the bold and highlighted word.

Msg:

Dear friends,
    It is really very heartening to hear about the sad demise of our friend Veerghese. he was a thorough gentleman. May Almighty give strenggth this gret loss and may his soul live in peace.

XYZ (name not to be disclosed)

23. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to singhvp For This Useful Post:

amit_sheoran (December 25th, 2011), deependra (December 22nd, 2011), sukhbirhooda (February 17th, 2012)

English is the language of international business and law. how did it become such language--simple answer is USA. Every nation under the sun wanted to do business with America, and Americans insisted in doing all business and legal communication in English. English language is spoken in more places than any other language and that's a fact. However, having a proper command of language and grammar is something to be mastered, fewer people have the relevant command of grammar and accent. If you travel worldwide you will find--Indian Accent of speaking English is downright pathetic and hideous. Most people learn their broken English from Bollywood movies and they are the worst teacher. Years ago I read one employees ACR at gov't office where his supervisor/manager wrote a following comment........
    1. ..........worked hardly.
    after the employee objected and explained the meaning to him.......he changed it to this...
    2. .........hardly worked.

Needless to say after much consternation, manager in question just asked the employee to write his own evaluation.

Command of any language is a boon otherwise a bane.......

25. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to karan For This Useful Post:

DrRajpalSingh (December 22nd, 2011), Fateh (December 22nd, 2011), JSRana (December 22nd, 2011), sukhbirhooda (February 17th, 2012)

I have a good E-book on English Grammar for utterly confused. I want to upload that file.........how can I upload.........if someone needs..... can mail to me at ajay.dg22@gmail.com

27. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dagar25 For This Useful Post:

deependra (December 23rd, 2011), sukhbirhooda (February 17th, 2012)

knowledge of anything can never be bane ................but half knowledge is off course. It is a boom for the people who want widen their knowledge by going through the international journal. English is not for social status it is just like any other language which helps you in communication......bas.

29. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to nehasinghaz For This Useful Post:

deependra (December 23rd, 2011), sukhbirhooda (February 17th, 2012)

My 2 cents: prevalence of English in India is because of colonialism. Had business been the simple reason, then an average German, French or Japanese would have been more fluent in English than us.

Quote Originally Posted by karan View Post
    English is the language of international business and law. how did it become such language--simple answer is USA. Every nation under the sun wanted to do business with America, and Americans insisted in doing all business and legal communication in English. English language is spoken in more places than any other language and that's a fact. However, having a proper command of language and grammar is something to be mastered, fewer people have the relevant command of grammar and accent. If you travel worldwide you will find--Indian Accent of speaking English is downright pathetic and hideous. Most people learn their broken English from Bollywood movies and they are the worst teacher. Years ago I read one employees ACR at gov't office where his supervisor/manager wrote a following comment........
    after the employee objected and explained the meaning to him.......he changed it to this...

Needless to say after much consternation, manager in question just asked the employee to write his own evaluation.

31. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to deshi-jat For This Useful Post:

amit_sheoran (December 25th, 2011), Dagar25 (December 23rd, 2011), DrRajpalSingh (December 22nd, 2011), Fateh (December 23rd, 2011), singhvp (December 23rd, 2011), sukhbirhooda (February 17th, 2012)

Dear Krishanji,

You are right to say that English in India has been made acceptable due to colonialism.

In fact, the concept of producing middle and lower level clerks to feed newly established bureaucratic administrative machinery at cheaper rates and their acceptance of half baked European manners enabled English to spread in every nook and corner of India. Since 1835 when Lord Macaulay recommended English as medium of instruction in government aided institutions and in 1856 when three modern Indian Universities were founded on the model of the London University English has been flourishing and progressing by leaps and bounds. It soon acquired the status of gentlemen's language in British India. Since then it has going on to increase in volume and quality and has never seen back.
    During our national movement for freedom it emerged as a common link for communication for our leaders which further popularized it. Its use in print media also contributed to make it the language of trade and commerce. That is why it continues to hold its pre-eminent position among the languages of India as such.

Regards

Raj Pal Singh

33. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to DrRajpalSingh For This Useful Post:

deshi-jat (December 23rd, 2011), Fateh (December 23rd, 2011), singhvp (December 23rd, 2011), sukhbirhooda (February 17th, 2012)

Quote Originally Posted by karan View Post

Even U.S.A was ruled by the British until about 350 years ago - that is how English became the working language of U.S.A.
    Last edited by urmiladuhan; December 23rd, 2011 at 07:26 PM.

35. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to urmiladuhan For This Useful Post:

deshi-jat (December 23rd, 2011), DrRajpalSingh (December 23rd, 2011), vijaykajla1 (December 23rd, 2011)

Quote Originally Posted by urmiladuhan View Post
    Even U.S.A was ruled by the British until about 350 years ago - that is how English became the working language of U.S.A.
    Permit me to correct a minor inadvertent discrepancy: The British rule over 13 North American Colonies (which now constitute USA) came to an end in 1783 AD.

37. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DrRajpalSingh For This Useful Post:

deependra (December 24th, 2011), sukhbirhooda (February 17th, 2012)

So friends let us believe the fact that when one has success, the answer is not to undo that success. It is to continue what has been done. We need to develop communication skill in the use of English.

39. The Following User Says Thank You to mandeep333 For This Useful Post: