Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

Thread: Foeticide Stigma on the face of Indian Society

It is not an issue in Haryana anymore like it used to be in late 80s and 90s. I don't know about rest of India. Sponsored Media and media sponsored NGO's had blown and are blowing the matter out of proportion. Don't get carried away.
    "All I am trying to do is bridge the gap between Jats and Rest of World"

As I shall imagine, so shall I become.

Quote Originally Posted by ndalal View Post
    Sir main aapki es baat se bilkul bhi sahmat nahi hun ki es samasya ko badhane me mahilao ka yogdan hai, han agar aap ese kahte ki es samasya ko mahilaon ki madad se badhaya gya to sahmat ho sakti thi. Dhyan dene wali bat hai ki Samasya ka saara thikara aapne to mahilao/ Saas par dal diya. Par agar wo Pota hone par agar jor de rahi hai to wo aisa kyn kar rahi his es par bhui to dhyan dena chahiye...Wo aisa apne liye nhi kar rahi hai , yahan par bhi swarthsidhi to purush ki hi ho rahi hai...Purush ko bete chahiye apna nam badhane k liye, apne sharir ko aag dene k liye, Aur kahin JL par hi kahin yah bhi padha ki agriculturalist Jatiyon ko apne Krishi karyon k liye adhik poorushon ki jaroorat thi esliye, beton ki demand jyada thi.
    Mahilao ka en sab se direct kya lena dena??Sab purush dristikon hi hai. Ek aur bat ki mahilaon ko agar thoda bahut power aur space milti hai to uske liye use "BETON KI MA" hona jaroori hai, kai betiyan hone aur koi beta na hone par hamesha use ye dar bhi rahta hai ki uska pati dusri shadi kar lega, beta paida karne ka mental pressure mahilayen jhelti hain. Saas ko apni power dikhane k liye bahu hi milti hai so she tries there, kynki larger structure me uski pahchan bhi usse milti hai, aur ye pahchan use purush de dete hain kynki purushon ka kam Saas khud kar deti.
    Yah ek bhankar apradh hai aur usase bhi bhadkar bhyankar samjeek samsayon ko janam dene wala ghinona kaam Hai jeesmein samajeek vayvstha kaa haath hai. Leekin kisi ek par dosharopan karke is problem ke prinamon ko nakara nahin ja sakata.

Samaya kee maang hai kee sabhi miljulkar is burai ko khatam karane me yogdaan ke liye samane aiyen Jasa Bibipur goan walon ne karne ka sankalap liya hai.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DrRajpalSingh For This Useful Post:

ndalal (June 20th, 2012), satyenderdeswal (June 20th, 2012)

Quote Originally Posted by Samarkadian View Post
    It is not an issue in Haryana anymore like it used to be in late 80s and 90s. I don't know about rest of India. Sponsored Media and media sponsored NGO's had blown and are blowing the matter out of proportion. Don't get carried away.
    I am surprised to hear that. Actually its worse now than it was during 80s and 90s. Haryana, Punjab, Rajasthan have the lowest sex-ratio and still declining.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to swaich For This Useful Post:

DrRajpalSingh (June 20th, 2012)

Quote Originally Posted by swaich View Post
    I am surprised to hear that. Actually its worse now than it was during 80s and 90s. Haryana, Punjab, Rajasthan have the lowest sex-ratio and still declining.
    Again, lowest sex-ratio is not directly proportional to female foeticide. It could be one of the many variables.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Samarkadian For This Useful Post:

Friend,

The census data for various districts of Haryana paints a very grave picture about the proportion of male female ratio of population which is there to be seen by everyone.
    Thanks.

Again, lowest sex-ratio is not directly proportional to female foeticide. It could be one of the many variables.
    I understand. But it has to be the most heavily weighted variable, right? I think its is well known that female foeticide is the prime reason.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to swaich For This Useful Post:

Yes, it is correct assessment but the sex tests are emerging as one of the major contributors to further aggravate the position.

I understand. But it has to be the most heavily weighted variable, right? I think its is well known that female foeticide is the prime reason.
    +

Quote Originally Posted by DrRajpalSingh View Post
    Yes, it is correct assessment but the sex tests are emerging as one of the major contributors to further aggravate the position.

Gentleman , Prove it.

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Samarkadian For This Useful Post:

DrRajpalSingh (June 20th, 2012), satyenderdeswal (June 20th, 2012)

This means the problem needs immediate attention.

This means the problem needs immediate attention.
    Yes. It does. I think govt initiative which has happened in the last few years, although a bit late, will be a big help. I believe pre-natal sex-tests have already been banned in Punjab, I am not sure about Hr, Raj. In addition stricter punishments for violators and benefits schemes for girl child will go a long way. I believe some of these have already been implemented.

+

Gentleman , Prove it.
    The census reports of the relevant years, statistical data released by various departments of the government, field studies by the academic world are there to prove it beyond doubt.

+

Gentleman , Prove it.
    Brother, with all due respect. You are the one casting aspersions on female foeticide being on the rise, so I think the onus of providing proof rests on you. I can dig up hundreds of news articles and govt. reports, could you also do the same?

Just to get this right, did you mean female foeticide has declined in the last few years? That might have happened due to stricter govt. action and is in fact welcome. But overall, comparing 10 year data (census) it would have increased as compared to the 90s, right?

Yes. It does. I think govt initiative which has happened in the last few years, although a bit late, will be a big help. I believe pre-natal sex-tests have already been banned in Punjab, I am not sure about Hr, Raj. In addition stricter punishments for violators and benefits schemes for girl child will go a long way. I believe some of these have already been implemented.
    In Haryana also strict steps have been initiated on the issue but clandestine methods have also come to the public notice as some doctors were found performing pr natal tests and abortions of undesirable girls not in hospitals but at their residences/homes in Jagadhri town of Haryana. The two doctors and three of their assistants are facing the court cases now. Therefore both public and government joint efforts are needed to tackle the problem.

In Haryana also strict steps have been initiated on the issue but clandestine methods have also come to the public notice as some doctors were found performing pr natal tests and abortions of undesirable girls not in hospitals but at their residences/homes in Jagadhri town of Haryana. The two doctors and three of their assistants are facing the court cases now. Therefore both public and government joint efforts are needed to tackle the problem.
    Something like that happened in a city in Punjab as well.

Sometimes, I dont know who is worse. The people who pay the doctors to do female foeticide or the doctors who sell their soul and conscience for a quick buck.

And the best solution is a collective effort, govt., social and personal.

Brother, with all due respect. You are the one casting aspersions on female foeticide being on the rise, so I think the onus of providing proof rests on you. I can dig up hundreds of news articles and govt. reports, could you also do the same?

Just to get this right, did you mean female foeticide has declined in the last few years? That might have happened due to stricter govt. action and is in fact welcome. But overall, comparing 10 year data (census) it would have increased as compared to the 90s, right?
    Go ahead with authentic proofs.

Go ahead with authentic proofs.
    Sure. Just out of curiosity, could you share - what you think is the prime reason for the alarming sex ratio decline if not forced abortions of the girl child?
    Last edited by swaich; June 20th, 2012 at 05:44 PM.

Friend, It is a very serious issue. The Department of Social Welfare and Child Welfare, Government of Haryana is seized of the issue with its mission as:

:: VISION ::
    Haryana as a State where :
    1. Every girl child, like her brother, is allowed to be born, where every child, whether boy or girl,
    grows up loved and wanted, healthy, well nourished, well looked after and enrolled in school.

2. Women are treated with respect and dignity, their health, education, safety and security
    concerns are understood and taken care of, and they are allowed to enjoy all the rights
    available to men and have both the ability and the opportunity to contribute to all walks of
    life.

To achieve the above vision, the following would be done over a five year period :
    First priority would be to arrest the declining sex ratio and address the problem of
    female foeticide.

The following approach would be adopted:
    a) In order to increase the number of girls being born, a special incentive based scheme would be started for families who give birth to two girl children and security provided by way of earlier old age pension to such families as have only girl children. In the first instance the scheme for the birth of two girl children would be started; the scheme for pension would be started later after carrying out a detailed survey to assess the financial implication for the State. Over a period of time, these measures would help in changing the mind set about the girl child and add value to her.
    b) providing awards to rural adolescent girls to encourage them to pursue higher studies.
    c) Working closely with the Health Department for enforcing the PNDT Act.
    d) Reserving jobs for women within their categories.
    e) Changing the mind set of society about gender and the girl child. Schools would be targeted for doing so since boys and girls are still at an impressionable age and their thinking can be influenced:
    i) Education Department would be requested to revise school curricula to make it child and gender friendly.
    ii) Convention on the rights of the child and convention on the elimination of all forms of discrimination against women would be disseminated to all students from class-IX onwards to generate awareness about problems and rights of children and women.
    iii) Education Department would be requested to start Social Awareness Clubs in all High and Senior Secondary Schools which would be encouraged to go out to the community and conduct surveys on the prevalence of socially retrograde practices such as female foeticide, dowry etc. This apart from generating data about such problems would also create awareness in society about the existence of the problems and its baneful effects on society.
    iv) Core Constituency of educated and aware men and women would be created and founded in every village and town locality. This body would act as a bull-wark in the fight against prevalent social evils. They would be trained to monitor and keep track of such practices, oppose such practices and help build a consensus in civil societies about the need to give up such practices.
    v) Main streaming gender concerns in society by persuading Gram Panchayats and Municipal Committees to make the discussion of declining sex ratio, female foeticide, early child marriage, nutritional status of children and other social evils etc. as a compulsory item for discussion in their regular meetings.

The above details are perhaps sufficient to understand the issue in more objective manner.

For further statistical details log in Haryana Government website on Census and also see Department of Social Welfaare and Child Development weblink out which the above quote has been taken verbatism.

Regards
    Last edited by DrRajpalSingh; June 20th, 2012 at 07:37 PM.

23. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DrRajpalSingh For This Useful Post:

narvir (June 20th, 2012), swaich (June 20th, 2012)