Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

Thread: Education need reforms !!

वर्णनात्मक प्रश्नो का अपना महत्व है खासकर सामाजिक विज्ञानों मे। वर्णनात्मक प्रश्नो को हटा कर विश्लेषणतमक प्रश्न डालना कोई हल नही है। परीक्षा मे ये दोनों ही प्रकार के प्राशन शामिल होने चाहिए, विषय विशेष की प्रकृति के अनुसार वर्णनात्म, विश्लेषणात्मक, प्रयोगात्मक इत्यादि प्रकार के प्रशन होने चाहिए।
    Quote Originally Posted by bsbana View Post
    Exams should be analytical not descriptive.
    मौत और मौह्बत्त तो बस नाम से बदनाम है।।
    वरना तकलीफ तो ये पढाई भी कम नही देतीं।।।

2. The Following User Says Thank You to ndalal For This Useful Post:

anuragsunda (January 1st, 2013)

Descriptive question-answers helps in better understanding of particular subject matter and also improve the writing skills etc. It doesn't limit to a particular subject like social sciences or literature- Includes even science as well.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to anuragsunda For This Useful Post:

Prikshit (October 28th, 2013)

Quote Originally Posted by anuragsunda View Post
    Descriptive question-answers helps in better understanding of particular subject matter and also improve the writing skills etc. It doesn't limit to a particular subject like social sciences or literature- Includes even science as well.
    But the trend has changed as in the case of N E T , JEE, G A T E etc. objective system/pattern questions have been introduced of late.
    Last edited by DrRajpalSingh; January 3rd, 2013 at 11:10 AM.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to DrRajpalSingh For This Useful Post:

Prikshit (October 28th, 2013)

Quote Originally Posted by DrRajpalSingh View Post
    But the trend has changed as in the case of N E T , JEE, G A T E etc. objective system/pattern questions have been introduced of late.
    Yes, It is true that GATE/JEE exams follow objective questions-Since bot are competitive exams conducted for admissions. NET exam now follows easy short answer type questions (Instead of two paper-1. Objective 2. Subjective) But still many competitive exams (civil cervices exams) conduct in two part where II part includes subjective questions.

I appeared in both GATE/NET exam and qualified both. I found that GATE exam was much easier to clear compared to NET. It doesn't mean that GATE exam paper standard was lower than compared to NET. But Subjective questions in NET require thorough knowledge.

Many 12th level exam patterns are part of discussion among educationists. I appeared in AIPMT-medical entrance exam in 2003 and 2004: 2003 exam was objective and 2004 exam was conducted as both objective and subjective. I cleared in 2004, however rank was not good but I personally like subjective pattern. The main reason of change in pattern was to stop copying etc. and also to get quality student in Medical course where students have to write descriptive answers in exams. IIT-JEE changed pattern and put condition of only two chance for the same reason.
    Last edited by anuragsunda; January 3rd, 2013 at 06:47 PM.

given the number of applicant, it might be easy to evaluate the objective type multiple answer questions, rather then Subjective questions...I dont think this step has been taken after a some kind of academic comparison and finding results in favour of Objective type questions...I think its more of a bureaucratic reaction then an academic step towards the better selection process...
    मौत और मौह्बत्त तो बस नाम से बदनाम है।।
    वरना तकलीफ तो ये पढाई भी कम नही देतीं।।।

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ndalal For This Useful Post:

anuragsunda (January 4th, 2013), Prikshit (November 17th, 2014)

Quote Originally Posted by anuragsunda View Post
    Descriptive questions can reveal much more about a candidate's thought process. But being subjective, by definition they expose the candidates to the subjectivity of the examiners. Smart candidates suffer from examiners who are not smart enough to understand the beauty of some answers. In entrance type exams, where thousands apply, it is best to have objective questions so that every candidate is judged by exactly the same yardstick.

11. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to kapdal For This Useful Post:

anuragsunda (January 4th, 2013), Arvindc (January 4th, 2013), cooljat (January 4th, 2013), Prikshit (October 28th, 2013)

Quote Originally Posted by kapdal View Post
    Descriptive questions can reveal much more about a candidate's thought process. But being subjective, by definition they expose the candidates to the subjectivity of the examiners. Smart candidates suffer from examiners who are not smart enough to understand the beauty of some answers. In entrance type exams, where thousands apply, it is best to have objective questions so that every candidate is judged by exactly the same yardstick.
    Yeap, agree on the evaluation front. I have been to such a workshop of examiners for bringing uniformity in evaluating subjective answers. Even with step wise marking, the variations were +-10% across the examiners.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Arvindc For This Useful Post:

anuragsunda (January 4th, 2013)

It is a misconception among students and parents about uniform evaluation for subjective/descriptive answers. It is quite possible that +- 10 % variation in marking can come across the examiners in particular question but that is nullify when more then one Q are examined. We should keep one important thing in our mind that at higher level-examiner doesn't know student name and judge on the basis of answers which are written on the paper. I agree that other then Maths/Statistics (or somewhat physics/geography partially), it is difficult to make uniform judgement.

I can say it from personal experience that when you correct more than 10 answer copies, you automatically can see/observe smartness/dullness of the answers written by individual candidate in first look itself. We should not feel that Examiners at all India/state exam level are not qualified enough or they do so first time. Of course! objective examinations pattern is a fast process and a sufficient good method for pre-screening of quality students.

Quote Originally Posted by kapdal View Post
    But when number of applicants are more and filtration is required, subjective tests are a good option.
    -- Freedom is not worth having if it does not include the freedom to make mistakes.
    -- When you talk, you are only repeating what you already know. But if you listen, you may learn something new.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Prikshit For This Useful Post:

anuragsunda (November 21st, 2013)

Quote Originally Posted by ndalal View Post
    given the number of applicant, it might be easy to evaluate the objective type multiple answer questions, rather then Subjective questions...I dont think this step has been taken after a some kind of academic comparison and finding results in favour of Objective type questions...I think its more of a bureaucratic reaction then an academic step towards the better selection process...
    But there is no gainsaying the fact that, objective type tests are more vunerable as far as cheating and fraudalent is concerned.
    -- Freedom is not worth having if it does not include the freedom to make mistakes.
    -- When you talk, you are only repeating what you already know. But if you listen, you may learn something new.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Prikshit For This Useful Post:

anuragsunda (November 21st, 2013)

Quote Originally Posted by ndalal View Post
    As I understood we shouldn't throw a generalised question about education. This question must be posed sector specific,.What I mean by sector is that we should categorise education in primary, secondary, higher, professional, technical, and so forth. Then it will be easy to identify the problems and solutions for them. The nature of these all sectors are different(however they are on a continumm and several times effect the others), so must be the problems and solutions respectively.
    Agreed, but it can be done in two parts, one as mentioned by you and we can specify common problems at all levels

20. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Prikshit For This Useful Post:

anuragsunda (November 21st, 2013), DrRajpalSingh (October 28th, 2013), hrdhaka (January 25th, 2016)

Skill development and how effectively we can implement it at all levels. Pls share your views

22. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Prikshit For This Useful Post:

anuragsunda (April 5th, 2014), hrdhaka (January 25th, 2016)

We have been hearing a lot of skill development, it would be intresting to see how the new govt. will implement it at all levels of education.

24. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Prikshit For This Useful Post:

ayushkadyan (November 16th, 2014), hrdhaka (January 25th, 2016)

Where is education heading?

It looks like education is being drawn back into human history. While there is a need to synchronize the education with the world knowledge, i hear this kind of news. This is utter stupidity. While people should learn more and more European languages, they are learning "Sanskrit"????

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/h...w/45141160.cms

26. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to maddhan1979 For This Useful Post:

Arvindc (November 15th, 2014), hrdhaka (January 25th, 2016), Prikshit (November 17th, 2014)

I agree that BASIC QUALITY EDUCATION (say up to 10+2 and vocational education such as ITI) should be AFFORDABLE ... but beyond that no harm in commercialization of education.

Even in schools and vocational education no harm in commercialization where govt is unable to invest. Diversity of financing models (private and public education systems) bring diversity, improved quality, innovation and so on. Think of it is in terms of that commercialization of education has opened more opportunities through capacity-addition (more private schools/colleges) that was not available earlier, has also led to increased demand from parents that govt schools must raise their quality standards to same level as private ones, and so on.

Though our Indian system, barring few exceptions such as older IIT and IIMs, is based on rote learning and less on experiential-applied learning, and as a whole needs major revamp.

Will be interesting to see how far Human Resource Development Minister Smriti irani's new education policy, that is expected to be out in 2015, will go in addressing the issues by providing a PRAGMATIC framework in raising the QUALITY of EDUCATION, making it AFFORDABLE and making it available to MASSES.

I think commercialization of the education system needs to be checked to save the interests of all stake holders. If it is done, quality education would automatically follow making India hub of the best education in the world.

28. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to vdhillon For This Useful Post:

ayushkadyan (November 16th, 2014), hrdhaka (January 25th, 2016), Prikshit (November 17th, 2014)