Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8

Thread: Let us Discuss What is History

History is an argument without end.

It doesn't matter if history we are taught is imaginary or real but if we assume it as real, it's consequence will be real.
    As I shall imagine, I shall become.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to bsbana For This Useful Post:

rekhasmriti (March 1st, 2013)

Since history is description of past, events, persons and progress of mankind, it must be as objective as possible.
    History is best when created, better when re-constructed and worst when invented.

When we sit to write history of the Vedic Age India, generally it is understood that, the Rigveda is the sole authority to supply information to be used for reconstruction of history forgetting the fact that it is not so. When we talk about the Vedic India, we are taking about not only the era of final shaping of the Four Vedas but also of the period covered by the composition of the Brahamans, Arnayaks, Upnishadas and other auxiliary literature also which throws a flood of light on the Vedic Age culture and life of various tribes.

Moreover, tradition based literature contained in the oldest Pauranic and Epic literature also has to be used after sifting chaff from the floor with critical analysis. In this way, comparative study can only lead to right path of reconstruction of ancient history of India or any part of the world.

Then, one would have to look all around for availability of archaeological remains, if any, available to compare and contrast the data so collected and then only one could proceed to finally declare that one's hypotheses could be called conclusion. Also one has to remember that conclusions so arrived in social sciences and history are subject to revision on availability of newer data from time to time.
    History is best when created, better when re-constructed and worst when invented.

The history of the world is the record of a man in quest of his daily bread and butter.

-------H.Van Loon

7. The Following User Says Thank You to DrRajpalSingh For This Useful Post:

vicky84 (May 3rd, 2013)

How about shifting this thread to Dedicated "History" section.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to vicky84 For This Useful Post:

DrRajpalSingh (May 3rd, 2013)

Quote Originally Posted by vicky84 View Post
    How about shifting this thread to Dedicated "History" section.
    Good idea. It is for the administrator/editor to decide to delete or merge it with any other thread or sub section/subforum.
    Last edited by DrRajpalSingh; April 6th, 2016 at 09:30 PM.

Thanks the administrators for shifting this thread to its proper place.

The views/comments of members on the topic are solicited.

.....edited....
    Last edited by DrRajpalSingh; April 7th, 2016 at 08:50 AM. Reason: irrelevant submission here

For providing foundation of historical facts one has to depend upon depositories, archives and museums where reference material is available. Without quoting sources of information whether primary or secondary as the case may be, none can write even a word on historical events, persons et all. Therefore, except comments in the form of interpretation of data one has to quote and acknowledge the original sources accordingly.

"History" is the study of events happened and the cause & consequences afterwards effecting general social life. History is also about facts burried beneath sand particles since AD and BC. History is to make us familiar by the surroundings which are not in easy approach of every individual. History is like an accident, which later becomes a fact or incident as record. History is to define life existence and sustenance. History is to connect with present events. History is all about a live story told by ancestors. History is to represent it to new generation, like of Victory at Kargil. History is a documentary evidence. History is a holy verdict in Parliament!

It is very vast to make it compile in self-defined terminology rather than giving its etymology from google to many.

Everyone has well said about our general subject of curriculum or anyone's personal interest.

I never loved to cram lengthy answers as it always make me go in sleep immediately after holding book in my hands. But, on personal note, sometimes I go in depth to seek the eternity. In my opinion, I take it in broader context in relation to human mind and soul.

Thanks for the wonderful topic chosen to talk and mingle.

History is not something to feel proud or ashamed, it is all about learning. The main focus should be on history of ideas that helps mankind to create a progressive society.
    जाट हमारा धर्म है, धार्मिक स्वतंत्रता का अधिकार हमें UN Human Rights Charter व देश का संविधान देता है। नागपुरी डेरे के भक्तों के सस्ते ज्ञान की जरुरत नहीं हैं।.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to AryanPoonia For This Useful Post:

neel6318 (September 10th, 2017)

Quote Originally Posted by AryanPoonia View Post
    History is not something to feel proud or ashamed, it is all about learning. The main focus should be on history of ideas that helps mankind to create a progressive society.
    very good!

18. The Following User Says Thank You to neel6318 For This Useful Post:

AryanPoonia (September 11th, 2017)

The quality and accuracy of history depends on its conduits: the reciters and writers of history.

As Winston Churchill wrote, "History will be kind to me, for I intend to write it."

David Mahal

20. The Following User Says Thank You to Dgmjat For This Useful Post:

lrburdak (September 25th, 2017)

Quote Originally Posted by Dgmjat View Post
    The quality and accuracy of history depends on its conduits: the reciters and writers of history.

As Winston Churchill wrote, "History will be kind to me, for I intend to write it."

David Mahal
    True and very nice quotation! But somewhere it is taught that in any war/business/educational thought/information, if one has to prove to be the best "leave a margin line of truth", then let others explore beyond it.