Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Thread: Let us Discuss What is History

I believe history is primarily concerned with the evolution of mankind. It traces the whole story of man as well as of his progress in civilization a culture from the dim past up to the present day. It indicates his failures and his successes, describes his laws and his wars, and reveals his religions and his arts. It gives an account of the significant developments that took place in the past with reference to the countries and the men and women who played a noteworthy part.

It preserves the traditional and cultural values of a nation, and serves as a beacon light, guiding society in confronting various crises.A study of history is essential for good citizenship. This is the most common justification for the place of history in school curricula. Sometimes advocates of citizenship history hope merely to promote national identity and loyalty through a history spiced by vivid stories and lessons in individual success and morality. But the importance of history for citizenship goes beyond this narrow goal and can even challenge it at some points. Therefore history ought to be neutral, unbiased and impartial.

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to mandeep333 For This Useful Post:

DrRajpalSingh (June 8th, 2012), Fateh (June 9th, 2012), Hariom1972 (July 1st, 2012), ravinderjeet (June 9th, 2012)

Quote Originally Posted by Fateh View Post
    Look Brother, I do understand, what your first line says, please do not through the ball in my court, please accept gracefully if you can not or do not want to answer above questions, neither I know such method of pushing the blame to other side nor my age and status permit me to reply in the same coins, also such small things do not matter much. Friend, every body is not expected to know every thing in this world and there is no age limit of learning, request to start writing on a straight line at list when matter is with in the family. again request you to take it a friendly advise only, regards
    No comments. Thanks.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to DrRajpalSingh For This Useful Post:

Fateh (June 9th, 2012)

Quote Originally Posted by mandeep333 View Post
    I believe history is primarily concerned with the evolution of mankind. It traces the whole story of man as well as of his progress in civilization a culture from the dim past up to the present day. It indicates his failures and his successes, describes his laws and his wars, and reveals his religions and his arts. It gives an account of the significant developments that took place in the past with reference to the countries and the men and women who played a noteworthy part.

It preserves the traditional and cultural values of a nation, and serves as a beacon light, guiding society in confronting various crises.A study of history is essential for good citizenship. This is the most common justification for the place of history in school curricula. Sometimes advocates of citizenship history hope merely to promote national identity and loyalty through a history spiced by vivid stories and lessons in individual success and morality. But the importance of history for citizenship goes beyond this narrow goal and can even challenge it at some points. Therefore history ought to be neutral, unbiased and impartial.
    Friend,

I fully endorse your views.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by DrRajpalSingh View Post
    Friends,

Jat historiography has traversed many a crosses since appearance of Dr. K.R. Qanungo's pioneering work on Jat History in 1925 and followed by Desharaj Jhaghina's path breaking Jat Itihas in c. 1934. Then the task was followed by Lt. Ramswarup Joon in 1940's, Captain Dalip Singh Ahalawat and B.S. Dahiya in 1980's and the last but not the least Dr. Hukam Singh in 1990's as well as by four authors [Dr Mahendra Singh Arya, Dharmpal Singh Dudee, Kishan Singh Faujdar & Vijendra Singh Narwar:] in the Ādhunik Jat Itihasa in 1998. All of them have done yeoman's service to bring the lost pages of the origin and contribution of the community as a whole to light of the day. [Regional histories and biographies have not been included].
    Several other writers and authors have also contributed in this 'yajana' of writing the Jat History whose names must be enlisted here but due to certain constraints this could not be done. But I beg to submit that this should not be construed as disregard to their contribution or disrespect to their person.

The editorial team of the Jatland Wiki pages has made sterling contribution, in addition to other aspects of Jat History, they have especially facilitated a thorough and unbiased critical study of origin of Jat gotras which constitute the community, and made it available to the public for their comments.

In a way, the issue pertaining to the origin of the Jats, has been discussed threadbare and tentative conclusions on the issue have been carried near crystallization. The newer references/data if and when emerge, could be included as and when received and wherever required.

Now, the time has arrived to produce a Comprehensive Political, Social and Economic History of the Jats which could be done by not one man but by a team of persons taking up certain part/s of it and then before publication critically analysed/edited by the editorial board constituted for the purpose!

Leaving aside Pre-historic and Proto historic times for Volume I of the proposed project, we can start with preparing an authentic account of Volume II relating to the period c 600 B C to c 650 A.D. and in the like manner further volumes could be planned.

Are there any takers of this idea on Jat History and come forward to join the proposed Project Or to suggest alternate better plan or Project!!

Thanks.

Nice post and a very valuable suggestion.

I did my efforts in this direction by arranging a meeting of Jat Historians at Surajmal institute along with some history lovers from Jatland and Jat history yahoo site. Now it is time to involve more writers and historians and present an accurate account of our history.I will be available for all kind of assistance in this regard.
    Thanks and Regards.

Narender Kharb

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to narenderkharb For This Useful Post:

DrRajpalSingh (June 8th, 2012), lrburdak (June 14th, 2012), op1955 (June 9th, 2012)

No comments. Thanks.
    I appreciate and welcome your no comments, thanks

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Fateh For This Useful Post:

DrRajpalSingh (June 9th, 2012)

I appreciate and welcome your no comments, thanks
    I, too, like it.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to DrRajpalSingh For This Useful Post:

vijaykajla1 (June 10th, 2012)

I, too, like it.
    Let the ball rest in my court yard, I do not mind, but dear I would like to share with you that any kind of complex, superiority or inferiority, not good for health, one must remove the burden as early as possible,

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fateh For This Useful Post:

DrRajpalSingh (June 11th, 2012), Hariom1972 (July 1st, 2012)

Let the ball rest in my court yard, I do not mind, but dear I would like to share with you that any kind of complex, superiority or inferiority, not good for health, one must remove the burden as early as possible,
    Thanks Friend.

If we join discussion on some issue, then the ball of arguments keeps shuttling from one court to another and it is not expected to rest in this or that court.

Therefore, please consider would it not be appropriate for both of us to take up some other relevant topic/s and contribute our humble bit to make them more informative and interesting.

I do agree that we must definitely avoid all sorts of 'complexes'.

Regards

Thanks Friend.

If we join discussion on some issue, then the ball of arguments keeps shuttling from one court to another and it is not expected to rest in this or that court.

Therefore, please consider would it not be appropriate for both of us to take up some other relevant topic/s and contribute our humble bit to make them more informative and interesting.

I do agree that we must definitely avoid all sorts of 'complexes'.

Regards
    Thanks, dear agreed, go ahead

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Fateh For This Useful Post:

DrRajpalSingh (June 13th, 2012)

For me history- just like a story- which is not fiction rather absolute truth with fact.

Sir - I was never a good scorer when it comes to History

However I have always enjoyed history- coz its interesting- one learns a lot from it

18. The Following User Says Thank You to rekhasmriti For This Useful Post:

DrRajpalSingh (June 13th, 2012)

Friends,
    For sometime past, we have been discussing what history is and some very interesting and valuable points have emerged. Today, I take the opportunity to reproduce below the views of a very famous career advisor on the topic with due acknowledgements to the author and the news paper. She is none else than Usha Albuquerque, who writes in her column, ‘Field in Focus: HISTORY’ under the headline, ‘Past that can build your future, in The Tribune, Chandigarh, dated 13th June, 2012 on the significance of history as a subject of study , its vast area, additional skills and so on. THIS REPRODUCTION OF THE LEARNED AUTHOR ATTEMPTS AT MAKING THE MEANING AND RELEVANCE OF THE SUBJECT MORE UNDERSTANDABLE TO US ALL}

“History is much misunderstood subject, and even as we brush it off in terms of significance, history books and historical fiction remains best sellers, history has its own television channels which millions watch around the world, and some of the best movies made in the recent times have been based on historical events. Obviously, the popular interest in history reflects a desire to know more about ourselves, but we often dismiss its value as a subject that can help us succeed in future.”
    She goes on to describe history as a vast subject. According to her, “History is study of human self-knowledge and provides clues to what man is, can do and what man have done. The value of history, then, is not only in learning from the past [we really never do] but it helps to inform us so that we might make better decisions in the future. The study of history, therefore, benefits a student in two ways—it provides domain knowledge in the subject useful for a range of occupations directly related to the study of history, and it also imparts a wide range of transferable skills, which are important in many indirectly related career fields. Understanding and analysis of issues and events are of key importance to historians and can be applied in many other fields of work. For those interested in the social and cultural aspects of history, there are options such as archaeology, museology and art restoration. A study of fossils, monuments, manuscripts, coins and excavated remains can provide you with the knowledge of societies that existed in the ancient past, and lead you on a trail of jobs that can take you right up to the Smithsonian Museum.
    ‘’In addition, the study of history hones general abilities, such as memory and intelligence, as also analytical and communication skills that are highly usable in other academic pursuits and in almost any career you choose to get into. The extensive knowledge that graduates gain affects the manner in which they can gather, organise, represent interpret and critically analyse information in their environments. This, in turn, affects their ability to put forward ideas and arguments in a concise manner and to reason, and to solve problems.’’
    ........[To be contd.....]

20. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DrRajpalSingh For This Useful Post:

Fateh (June 14th, 2012), lrburdak (June 14th, 2012)

Dr Rajpalji

We have created a page on Jatland Wiki - [Wiki]General History[/Wiki]

I have transferred some content as provided by you. Can you further improve it ?
    Laxman Burdak

Quote Originally Posted by lrburdak View Post
    Dr Rajpalji

We have created a page on Jatland Wiki - General History

I have transferred some content as provided by you. Can you further improve it ?
    Thanks, I will make my sincere endeavour to do so.

Friends,
    For sometime past, we have been discussing what history is and some very interesting and valuable points have emerged. Today, I take the opportunity to reproduce below the views of a very famous career advisor on the topic with due acknowledgements to the author and the news paper. She is none else than Usha Albuquerque, who writes in her column, ‘Field in Focus: HISTORY’ under the headline, ‘Past that can build your future, in The Tribune, Chandigarh, dated 13th June, 2012 on the significance of history as a subject of study , its vast area, additional skills and so on. THIS REPRODUCTION OF THE LEARNED AUTHOR ATTEMPTS AT MAKING THE MEANING AND RELEVANCE OF THE SUBJECT MORE UNDERSTANDABLE TO US ALL}

“History is much misunderstood subject, and even as we brush it off in terms of significance, history books and historical fiction remains best sellers, history has its own television channels which millions watch around the world, and some of the best movies made in the recent times have been based on historical events. Obviously, the popular interest in history reflects a desire to know more about ourselves, but we often dismiss its value as a subject that can help us succeed in future.”
    She goes on to describe history as a vast subject. According to her, “History is study of human self-knowledge and provides clues to what man is, can do and what man have done. The value of history, then, is not only in learning from the past [we really never do] but it helps to inform us so that we might make better decisions in the future. The study of history, therefore, benefits a student in two ways—it provides domain knowledge in the subject useful for a range of occupations directly related to the study of history, and it also imparts a wide range of transferable skills, which are important in many indirectly related career fields. Understanding and analysis of issues and events are of key importance to historians and can be applied in many other fields of work. For those interested in the social and cultural aspects of history, there are options such as archaeology, museology and art restoration. A study of fossils, monuments, manuscripts, coins and excavated remains can provide you with the knowledge of societies that existed in the ancient past, and lead you on a trail of jobs that can take you right up to the Smithsonian Museum.
    ‘’In addition, the study of history hones general abilities, such as memory and intelligence, as also analytical and communication skills that are highly usable in other academic pursuits and in almost any career you choose to get into. The extensive knowledge that graduates gain affects the manner in which they can gather, organise, represent interpret and critically analyse information in their environments. This, in turn, affects their ability to put forward ideas and arguments in a concise manner and to reason, and to solve problems.’’
    Rajpalji, any information about yesterday and past is history and it is obeous most we want to know about matter of his/her interest but the real point of discussion was that the history written/painted is correct/how much/how far correct or its correctness is effected by various facters which we have already discussed earlier, I think your above motiational expression for young children, doesnot hold good for our discussion, we expect some good contribution from you even coping from books, regards

Friends,

Rajpalji, any information about yesterday and past is history and it is obeous most we want to know about matter of his/her interest but the real point of discussion was that the history written/painted is correct/how much/how far correct or its correctness is effected by various facters which we have already discussed earlier, I think your above motiational expression for young children, doesnot hold good for our discussion, we expect some good contribution from you even coping from books, regards

Quote Originally Posted by lrburdak View Post
    Dr Rajpalji

We have created a page on Jatland Wiki - General History

Transferring contents at this stage is not correct, this is how truth/correctness of history is effected, but it is your judgement/impression and your wish

26. The Following User Says Thank You to Fateh For This Useful Post:

Hariom1972 (July 1st, 2012)

Friend,

I have noted very carefully your liking and disliking as well as the piece of advice contained in the last line of the post on the issue!!! Any other relevant instruction/piece of advice or direction from the seniors is always welcome. I shall try to do my utmost to follow the same with due sincerity.

But, I beg to submit many points described in the aforesaid post are relevant for everyone interested in understanding after all what history is. Then, the theme of the thread is not exclusively meant for the seniors only.

Thanks.

28. The Following User Says Thank You to DrRajpalSingh For This Useful Post:

Fateh (June 15th, 2012)

History is nothing but the manipulated facts!
    Vivek Tomar
    Be Happy With Every Moment

30. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to tarzon For This Useful Post:

bsbana (February 28th, 2013), Hariom1972 (July 1st, 2012), ravinderjeet (June 14th, 2012)

and

Ravinderjeet ji and Swaichji,

It is not so. The fact of the matter is as follows.
    The biased history never makes room in the academic fraternity. The yard stick applied is 'objectivity' in historical narration that is detachment of the author/scholar i.e., he/she has not to take sides and present the facts as such based on the references quoted. Thus prejudiced writing is continuously replaced in view of the newer found facts.
    So long as there exists scarcity of solid reliable evidence, one, two or as many as reference based views are put for open debate and this is the methodology not demerit that there appear divergence of views on any specific issue. Therefore we must not be afraid of this phenomenon.

Even today, in the age of explosion of information technology, many gaps and dark places remain to be plugged and illuminated as there continues to be lack of historical sources/data even today. I mean to convey that none can claim to have written final word in history because there is always scope of coming to light newer data/sources/references. History writing requires rigorous practice and that comes with experience and expertise.

Thanks.
    My apologies I couldnt respond to your post earlier. The term used above "academic fraternity", its composition surely varies from one region/institution to another, does it not? Lets take the Bangladesh War's example. Indian historians will justify it as helping our Bengali brother out of humanitarian reasons, while Pak ones will call it a shrewd game of "aag mein ghee fekna". Whats the real truth here? Perhaps neither, perhaps a mixture of the two narratives. But in this case, even the academic fraternity will be biased depending upon their country.

I understand that this does not mean we can disregard all historical research as biased or one sided. We all know the first man came from Africa, agriculture started around Anatolia and the Native Americans reached their current lands via the frozen Bering Straits. All this historical information is verified and undisputed. But it is only when history mingles into ethnic, nationalistic and cultural domains do disputes and concerns of bias arise.

32. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to swaich For This Useful Post:

Fateh (June 15th, 2012), JSRana (June 15th, 2012), vijaykajla1 (June 16th, 2012)

Friend,

I have noted very carefully your liking and disliking as well as the piece of advice contained in the last line of the post on the issue!!! Any other relevant instruction/piece of advice or direction from the seniors is always welcome. I shall try to do my utmost to follow the same with due sincerity.

But, I beg to submit many points described in the aforesaid post are relevant for everyone interested in understanding after all what history is. Then, the theme of the thread is not exclusively meant for the seniors only.

Thanks.
    Dear friend your impression/assessment/noting is not correct but you are free to note as per your ability/liking.

34. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fateh For This Useful Post:

DrRajpalSingh (June 16th, 2012), Hariom1972 (July 1st, 2012)