Thread: Historian Thakur Desraj - A tribute

Historian Thakur Desraj - A tribute

Thakur Desraj

As some know, looking for the history of our people, - the Jats, has been a bit of a passion of mine.

Initially for many years I would wonder, how it was that the Jats were not mentioned in history books, and the few places they were mentioned, was casually, in a few lines and certainly not in any laudatory manner.

Some where along the line I cam across a reference to book on the Jat history by K R Quanango, who was portrayed by another well known historian – Sir Jadunath Sarkar, as the most knowledgeable of historians on Jat matters, and what his book did not contain was not worth knowing.

I was fortunate enough the acquire a copy of Thakur Desraj’s book ‘Jat ithihaas’ from the Surajmal Institute, who had republished the book in its entirety.
    The book was first published by around 1936. The book was lost for many years, and a copy was gifted by his family to the Surajmal Trust, and the book was re published, I believe in the late seventies.

One cannot but wonder, what our loss would have been, had his family members not kept the book safely, much as one wonders sometimes about the protection of the Historical records of the Jat Sarv Khaps at Shoram, which were discovered by Chaudhary Kabul Singh. The papers were being used usefully by a young Bahu to light the kitchen fire. Some were saved, and we do not how many historical records were lost forever.

Fortune was favouring our community and this book was saved.

Why is Thakur Desraj so important to us?

In the early part of the 20th century, there were only three authors who appear to have written on the subject.

K R Quanango circa 1925
    Thakur Desraj circa 1930s
    Captain Ram Swarup Joon Circa 1930s

We might almost say that were the pioneer modern historians of the Jats.

Professor Quanango’s work, though well written, is essentially a history of the Jats of the Bharatpur house. He does in a chapter refer to various theories of Jat origin- from the Aryans, the Yadhavs etc, but it not, one would consider today, to be a path breaking book.

At the time he was writing, we have to be aware, that communication as we know it today did not exist, one wonders if he had heard of Professor Quanango. He was certainly aware of the Bharatpur house, and the vast number of small kingdoms, and republics of the Jats, including the Sikh Jats of Punjab.

He did not seem to be aware of the Sarv Khap of Haryana and its headquarters at Shoram (Muzzafarnagar. One does not fault him for that. The lack of awareness can easily be ascribed to the documents of the Sarv Khap coming to light only in the early 1950’s, much after his passing away.

Only memories of the Jat republics of Rajasthan were left, having been thorough erased by the feudalism that lasted for centuries.

The Jat histories had been lost; whatever documentation there was did not survive the invasions after 600 CE

Thakur Desraj did, to his everlasting credit, a tremendous amount of primary research. He identified many original sources, inscriptions, and unearthed much Jat history which had buried for ages.

Having done that he painted a vast and deep panaroma of Jat history though the ages. A panaroma that would make any member of the community proud of his ancestors.

Practically all modern Historians researching and writing on Jat history have lifted off from the seminal work of Thakur Desraj.

His book in Hindi is a highly readable book, and highly recommended to all.

An online copy is available in the files section of the yahoo Jathistory group.

It should be put up here too.

W e all owe a huge debt to him.

Ravi Chaudhary
    Last edited by ravichaudhary; April 21st, 2012 at 01:55 AM. Reason: m

2. The Following 18 Users Say Thank You to ravichaudhary For This Useful Post:

AryanPoonia (May 14th, 2015), cooljat (April 21st, 2012), dangi (April 21st, 2012), DrRajpalSingh (April 21st, 2012), JSRana (April 21st, 2012), lrburdak (April 21st, 2012), maddhan1979 (April 14th, 2013), Moar (April 21st, 2012), op1955 (April 21st, 2012), pradeepiisc (October 7th, 2012), prashantacmet (April 23rd, 2012), premsukhdidel (April 21st, 2012), raka (April 22nd, 2012), ravinderjeet (April 21st, 2012), SumitJattan (April 21st, 2012), vijaykajla1 (April 22nd, 2012), vishalsunsunwal (April 21st, 2012), ygulia (April 22nd, 2012)

Quote Originally Posted by ravichaudhary View Post
    Thakur Desraj

As some know, looking for the history of our people, - the Jats, has been a bit of a passion of mine.

Initially for many years I would wonder, how it was that the Jats were not mentioned in history books, and the few places they were mentioned, was casually, in a few lines and certainly not in any laudatory manner.

Some where along the line I cam across a reference to book on the Jat history by K R Quanango, who was portrayed by another well known historian – Sir Jadunath Sarkar, as the most knowledgeable of historians on Jat matters, and what his book did not contain was not worth knowing.

I was fortunate enough the acquire a copy of Thakur Desraj’s book ‘Jat ithihaas’ from the Surajmal Institute, who had republished the book in its entirety.
    The book was first published by around 1936. The book was lost for many years, and a copy was gifted by his family to the Surajmal Trust, and the book was re published, I believe in the late seventies.

One cannot but wonder, what our loss would have been, had his family members not kept the book safely, much as one wonders sometimes about the protection of the Historical records of the Jat Sarv Khaps at Shoram, which were discovered by Chaudhary Kabul Singh. The papers were being used usefully by a young Bahu to light the kitchen fire. Some were saved, and we do not how many historical records were lost forever.

Fortune was favouring our community and this book was saved.

Why is Thakur Desraj so important to us?

In the early part of the 20th century, there were only three authors who appear to have written on the subject.

K R Quanango circa 1925
    Thakur Desraj circa 1930s
    Captain Ram Swarup Joon Circa 1930s

We might almost say that were the pioneer modern historians of the Jats.

Professor Quanango’s work, though well written, is essentially a history of the Jats of the Bharatpur house. He does in a chapter refer to various theories of Jat origin- from the Aryans, the Yadhavs etc, but it not, one would consider today, to be a path breaking book.

At the time he was writing, we have to be aware, that communication as we know it today did not exist, one wonders if he had heard of Professor Quanango. He was certainly aware of the Bharatpur house, and the vast number of small kingdoms, and republics of the Jats, including the Sikh Jats of Punjab.

He did not seem to be aware of the Sarv Khap of Haryana and its headquarters at Shoram (Muzzafarnagar. One does not fault him for that. The lack of awareness can easily be ascribed to the documents of the Sarv Khap coming to light only in the early 1950’s, much after his passing away.

Only memories of the Jat republics of Rajasthan were left, having been thorough erased by the feudalism that lasted for centuries.

The Jat histories had been lost; whatever documentation there was did not survive the invasions after 600 CE

Thakur Desraj did, to his everlasting credit, a tremendous amount of primary research. He identified many original sources, inscriptions, and unearthed much Jat history which had buried for ages.

Having done that he painted a vast and deep panaroma of Jat history though the ages. A panaroma that would make any member of the community proud of his ancestors.

Practically all modern Historians researching and writing on Jat history have lifted off from the seminal work of Thakur Desraj.

His book in Hindi is a highly readable book, and highly recommended to all.

An online copy is available in the files section of the yahoo Jathistory group.

It should be put up here too.

W e all owe a huge debt to him.

Ravi Chaudhary
    For an eye-opener tribute to all time great Jat historian by another lover of Jat History, Dr. Ravi Chaudhary deserves our gratitude.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to DrRajpalSingh For This Useful Post:

maddhan1979 (April 14th, 2013)

After a very long gap Raviji became active. Ideas of Raviji about Thakur Deshraj are worth praising. We want Thakur Deshraj's Jat History on Jatland Wiki but there is a problem of Font. If somebody can convert it to mangal font it will be a great service to society. Then we can put on Jatland Wiki and it becomes researchable.
    Laxman Burdak

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to lrburdak For This Useful Post:

DrRajpalSingh (April 21st, 2012), Moar (April 21st, 2012), shivrampoonia (April 22nd, 2012)

Quote Originally Posted by lrburdak View Post
    After a very long gap Raviji became active. Ideas of Raviji about Thakur Deshraj are worth praising. We want Thakur Deshraj's Jat History on Jatland Wiki but there is a problem of Font. If somebody can convert it to mangal font it will be a great service to society. Then we can put on Jatland Wiki and it becomes researchable.
    If someone sends me the text by e-mail, I would certainly make an attempt. Using the same technique some months ago, I had converted text into Unicode, of Ch. Hawa Singh Sangwan´s book which is now available on Jatland Wiki.

Last edited by dndeswal; April 22nd, 2012 at 03:10 PM.
    तमसो मा ज्योतिर्गमय

8. The Following User Says Thank You to dndeswal For This Useful Post:

deependra (April 15th, 2013)

Rajpakji

Very kind words from you. A correction - I am not entitled to hold the title of Dr. Mine has been a purely amateur contribution.

Luxmanji

I have been occupied with other matters.

Deswalji

Please send me your e mail , so that I can forward the text to you- I have .doc version and pdf version. the font is arjun.ttf

Warm regards

Ravi Chaudhary

ravichaudhary2000@yahoo.com

Quote Originally Posted by ravichaudhary View Post
    Rajpakji

Deswalji

Please send me your e mail , so that I can forward the text to you- I have .doc version and pdf version. the font is arjun.ttf

Warm regards

Ravi Chaudhary

ravichaudhary2000@yahoo.com

dndeswal@gmail.com

तमसो मा ज्योतिर्गमय

Deswalji

Raviji sent me word file of Deshraj book which I have forwarded to you.
    Laxman Burdak

Deswalji

Raviji sent me word file of Deshraj book which I have forwarded to you.
    The zeal shown by our seniors in the matter is worth emulation for we juniors.

Friends, here is another book for your kind perusal.

Book: The Jats---Their origin, Antiquity and Migration
    Author: Hukam Singh Pawar
    Publishers: Manthan Publications, Medical Turn, Delhi Road, Rohtak 124 001 HARYANA – INDIA
    FIRST EDITION: 1993 ISBN – 81 – 85235 22 – 8
    pp. xxviii+396+xlviii priceRs.450

This treatise on the controversial questions relating Jats is thought provoking to the point of being provocative. It utilises variety of sources which the earlier writers could not either lay hands on or “were inadvertently (or perhaps deliberately) missed by them.” This well documented work brings together a host of unfamiliar material. Among other things, it makes a searching, incisive and thorough appraisal of purely mythical and legendary speculations on the subject as well as of the extant ‘scientific theories’, the inadequacies in each case being objectively analysed.
    Brigadier O P Chaudhary, former Vice Chancellor of MDU, Rohtak, in his very scholarly foreword to this book has beautifully concluded:
    ‘’One may not agree with all these unconventional hypotheses which the author has tried to establish. One may believe that these need careful thought and further probe, but what stands out is the fact that the issues framed by the author pose a challenge to those interested in unravelling these much debated, much muddled and greatly controversial topics. For 0ne thing, the book makes good reading in spite of some avoidable repetitions, for both the literati and the laity, and will serve as a spring board for new enthusiasts interested in similar research to take off. Whatever else may be said about this book, it will earn the credit of being ‘more than before, different from before and better than before’.

I take the opportunity to request the readers to go through the contents of the book under reference and enjoy new insights on the History of the Jats.

If it is possible for the editors of the Wiki to put some portions of the book here, if so, it would be a great service to the JatLanders.
    Regards.

(Dr.) Raj Pal Singh

Rajpalji you probably missed on Jatland Library. we have some chapters digitized on Jatland Wiki. You may see here -
    [Wiki]The Jats:Their Origin, Antiquity and Migrations[/Wiki]

This is a wonderful book. One must certainly read it.

The chapters with active blue links are fully digitized. Rest we will do later. Can somebody take copyright permission of Wikifying the book ?
    Last edited by lrburdak; April 22nd, 2012 at 08:53 PM.
    Laxman Burdak

Rajpalji you probably missed on Jatland Library. we have some chapters digitized on Jatland Wiki. You may see here - [Wiki]The Jats:Their Origin, Antiquity and Migrations[/Wiki]This is a wonderful book. One must certainly read it. The chapters with active blue links are fully digitized. Rest we will do later. Can somebody take copyright permission of Wikifying the book ?
    Thanks for the information Burdakji.

Quote Originally Posted by DrRajpalSingh View Post
    Friends, here is another book for your kind perusal.

Publishers: Manthan Publications, Medical Turn, Delhi Road, Rohtak 124 001 HARYANA – INDIA
    FIRST EDITION: 1993 ISBN – 81 – 85235 22 – 8
    pp. xxviii+396+xlviii priceRs.450

(Dr.) Raj Pal Singh
    हा हा हा ,राजपाल जी ,यू ते कददे तें मेडिकल मोड़ कुहाया करदा मेडिकल टरण कद बाण ग्या बेरा ना |कोए रक्षा आला भी ना लेजावे आड़े ते ,बीचल जा गा |
    :rockwhen you found a key to success,some ideot change the lock,*******BREAK THE DOOR.
    हक़ मांगने से नहीं मिलता , छिना जाता हे |
    अहिंसा कमजोरों का हथियार हे |
    पगड़ी संभाल जट्टा |
    मौत नु आंगालियाँ पे नचांदे , ते आपां जाट कुहांदे |

17. The Following User Says Thank You to ravinderjeet For This Useful Post:

DrRajpalSingh (April 23rd, 2012)

Quote Originally Posted by ravinderjeet View Post
    हा हा हा ,राजपाल जी ,यू ते कददे तें मेडिकल मोड़ कुहाया करदा मेडिकल टरण कद बाण ग्या बेरा ना |कोए रक्षा आला भी ना लेजावे आड़े ते ,बीचल जा गा |
    ha ha ha, Ravinderjeet ji, Sayad yah suchna rikshaw walon se puchh ke nahin likhi gai hogi, Ab Lekhak Mahodaya bhi nahin rahe kis se puchhne jayan kee yah galt address khyon likha.....

Lekin Yo kamal dekhana ho to pustak ka back page of title dekhiya, jahan pushtak prakashak ka pata likha hai:

HA HA HA......

यह खुश खबरी है कि जाटलैंड सदस्यों के प्रयास से ठाकुर देश राज की पुस्तक अब जाटलैंड विकी पर उपलब्ध है. रवि चौधरी जी ने उनके पास उपलब्ध ठाकुर देश राज की पुस्तक: जाट इतिहास का विवरण मुझे भेजा और देशवाल जी ने उसको पूरा मंगल फॉण्ट में बदला . पंजाब का अध्याय रवि जी के विवरण में नहीं था सो मेरे द्वारा स्कैन कर देशवाल जी को भेजा गया जिसको पूरा मंगल फॉण्ट में देशवाल जी ने बदला और जाटलैंड विकी पर अपलोड किया. मैंने भी थोडा सा योगदान कर विकिफाई किया और जाटलैंड वीथिका पर उपलब्ध चित्र भी यहाँ वहां जोड़े. अब यह पुस्तक सबके लिए सर्वदा उपलब्ध है.

यहाँ पढ़ें - [Wiki]Jat History Thakur Deshraj[/Wiki]
    Last edited by lrburdak; October 7th, 2012 at 03:58 PM.
    Laxman Burdak

20. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to lrburdak For This Useful Post:

deependra (April 15th, 2013), Moar (October 7th, 2012), pradeepiisc (October 7th, 2012), ravinderjeet (October 7th, 2012)

I remembered this thread on the occasion of death anniversary of Thakur Deshraj (17 April) and thought of reviving it for those who might have missed it.

As Burdak ji has written above, Thakur Deshraj's book "Jat Itihas" is now available at Jatland Wiki, for free readership to everyone.

Our homage and gratitude to this great Jat Historian !

तमसो मा ज्योतिर्गमय

22. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dndeswal For This Useful Post:

deependra (April 15th, 2013), DrRajpalSingh (April 14th, 2013)

Quote Originally Posted by dndeswal View Post
    I remembered this thread on the occasion of death anniversary of Thakur Deshraj (17 April) and thought of reviving it for those who might have missed it.

As Burdak ji has written above, Thakur Deshraj's book "Jat Itihas" is now available at Jatland Wiki, for free readership to everyone.

Our homage and gratitude to this great Jat Historian !

Indeed, he was a multi-dimensional personality as a staunch Arya Samajist, social reformer of note and above all, one among the pioneers of the Jat historians, who rightly deserves his name to be engraved in the golden letters !

We salute him and pay our respectful homage to this great Jat personality of the 20th century India for his contribution in freedom movement and arousing the sense of self confidence and self esteem among our community men in particular and farming class in general !
    History is best when created, better when re-constructed and worst when invented.

24. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DrRajpalSingh For This Useful Post:

deependra (April 15th, 2013), op1955 (April 14th, 2013)

हम सब ठाकुर देशराज को नमन करते हैं जाट समाज के लिए उनके योगदान को भुलाया नहीं जा सकता। गत वर्ष जाटलैंड ने निर्णय लिया था कि उनकी पस्तक को ओनलाईन किया जावे, यह पूरा हो गया।

क्या हम निर्णय लें कि उनका एक स्मारक बनाया जावे?

ठाकुर साहब के एक मात्र पुत्र हरिसिंह वर्तमान में एक सहकारी बैंक में मैनेजर पद पर कार्यरत हैं। वे हमारा मार्गदर्शन करने में उपयोगी हो सकते हैं।
    Laxman Burdak

26. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to lrburdak For This Useful Post:

deependra (April 15th, 2013), dndeswal (April 15th, 2013)

हम सब ठाकुर देशराज को नमन करते हैं जाट समाज के लिए उनके योगदान को भुलाया नहीं जा सकता। गत वर्ष जाटलैंड ने निर्णय लिया था कि उनकी पस्तक को ओनलाईन किया जावे, यह पूरा हो गया।

क्या हम निर्णय लें कि उनका एक स्मारक बनाया जावे?

ठाकुर साहब के एक मात्र पुत्र हरिसिंह वर्तमान में एक सहकारी बैंक में मैनेजर पद पर कार्यरत हैं। वे हमारा मार्गदर्शन करने में उपयोगी हो सकते हैं।
    Really he was Herodotus of the community !
    History is best when created, better when re-constructed and worst when invented.