Page 17 of 17 FirstFirst ... 7 13 14 15 16 17

Thread: History and Historians on Jat Mauryan Empire[ founded by Chandragupta in c 323 BC]

According to Romila Thapar, the timeline of accession of Chandragupta Maurya,

the founder of the Maurya dynasty, was 321 B.C. She further has averred that

Termination of Maurya rule occurred in 185 B.C. when the last ruler Brahadaraath

Maurya was murdered by his Brahmin- Commander in Chief, Pushyamitra Sunga,

However, other historians give 323 B.C. as foundation date and 187 B.C as termination date.
    History is best when created, better when re-constructed and worst when invented.

Though Puranas contain name of Asoka in the dynastic list and Buddhist chronicles extol him as a chakravartin or universal monarch yet due to decline of the Buddhism, the tradition had almost become extinct and such a great Jat Maurya Emperor as Asoka was, had become almost a forgotten hero as it found no significant place in history books in those days.

However, with the coming to light of Asokan edicts, the situation improved and indologists of nineteenth and twentieth century have done wonderful research work in this field over the years.

The credit to bring Asoka, the Great Maurya Emperor, before the world in the modern times goes rightly to James Prinsep, who successfully deciphered in 1837 A.D. an inscription written in the earliest Indian script i.e. Brahmi. But the final confirmation of the name came in 1915 when his name on one of his own edicts was found engraved. In this inscription he calls himself Devanampiya Asoka. Even now from time to time, the Asokan inscriptions continue to be found and there is always anticipation regarding information that a new edict may bring. Though the information contained in the texts of the newer found or earlier found inscriptions remains almost the same, their location adds to our knowledge about the Mauryan empire.

Another important feature of the inscriptions is use of different languages as Prakrit, Brahmi, Greek or Aramaic etc. which has helped the scholars to understand the true significance and proper meaning of many words used in them like Dhamma i.e. ethical behaviour.

The change in perception about Asoka came only due to the tireless efforts of a large number of scholars over a long period of time.

This example shows that persistent, dedicated efforts and patience is required to unknot the tangles of historic events. Only if we imbibe this example then the unwritten pages of Jat history could be enlivened !!
    Last edited by DrRajpalSingh; June 8th, 2013 at 01:56 PM.
    History is best when created, better when re-constructed and worst when invented.

To understand the history of the First Mauryan Empire of India founded by Chandragupta,

the identification of the origin of the clan and the place from where they originated is very crucial.

Could someone throw fact based/source supported light on the issue.

Thanks.

Arthasastra by Kautilya, the prime minister of Chandragupta Maurya, is a remarkable literary critical compendium of his times. It is based on the Arthsastras, prevalent at his time, and that he refers to works of nearly a dozen writers, Bhardwaj (Kaninka), Visalakssa (Siva), Parasara, Pisuna (Narad), Kaunapadanta (Bhishma), Vatvyayadhi (Udhava), Bahudantiputra (Indra), the Manavas, the Barhaspatyas, Ausanasas and Ambhiyas. This active exercise of thought on polity , echoes of which are to be heard in the epic Mahabharata,might well have been occasioned by the intense political activity of the times which were full of Sanghas of different description and numerous small monarchies. ...The genius of Chandragupta and Chanakya saw the danger of these numerous small states, communities and kingships, and not only consolidated an empire and a centralised power but also set forth the scheme of the detailed working of such huge centralised authority in a new Arthasastra (by Kautilya).

Quote Originally Posted by DrRajpalSingh View Post
    Asoka, the Great, had interwoven the duties of an emperor and the paternal guardian of his subjects that on his edicts he showed his determination to perform both the duties so that his people could enjoy all the facilities that a secular welfare state could provide in this world and to advise his people to follow the path of righteousness so that their life hereinafter may also be success. That is why HG Wells has applauded his achievements in no uncertain terms and another historian has remarked that the name of Asoka, and only Asoka shines as a pole star among the millions of the kings and ruler of the world. He was the third Maurya Jat ruler in the glorious magadhan kingdom of the ancient India.
    Rajpal ji..I asked earlier also..I am very curious to know all the primary evidences that link mauryan to jats
    Become more and more innocent, less knowledgeable and more childlike. Take life as fun - because that's precisely what it is!

6. The Following User Says Thank You to prashantacmet For This Useful Post:

DrRajpalSingh (June 24th, 2013)

Quote Originally Posted by prashantacmet View Post
    Rajpal ji..I asked earlier also..I am very curious to know all the primary evidences that link mauryan to jats
    Thank you Prashant Bhai for raising a very valid point.

In fact, to be honest, I had not paid much attention to this aspect.

I shall turn to you only after having laid my hands on some irrefutable testimony on the issue in due course of time.

Your present post has led me to ponder over this issue of far reaching historical significance. After having read your post under reference I cross checked a few books on the issue. It was averred in them that the Mor/Maurya are found today among the Jats and their clan name shake Maurya ruling dynasty also belonged to the Jats.

The same type of claim is made by many Jat and non Jat Historians as well on the Kushana, Gupta and Vardhana dynasties whose clan names resemble with the present day Jat clan names.

How far this is justifiable, is for the historians after they revalidate the available evidences and then arrive at some convincing conclusion.

Perhaps we will have to start first to find out when and how did the Jat Identity initiate, emerge, grew and assumed the present position in the social hierarchy in Indian society as well as abroad.

Thanks and regards,

8. The Following User Says Thank You to DrRajpalSingh For This Useful Post:

prashantacmet (June 25th, 2013)

Quote Originally Posted by DrRajpalSingh View Post
    Thank you Prashant Bhai for raising a very valid point.

In fact, to be honest, I had not paid much attention to this aspect.

I shall turn to you only after having laid my hands on some irrefutable testimony on the issue in due course of time.

Your present post has led me to ponder over this issue of far reaching historical significance. After having read your post under reference I cross checked a few books on the issue. It was averred in them that the Mor/Maurya are found today among the Jats and their clan name shake Maurya ruling dynasty also belonged to the Jats.

The same type of claim is made by many Jat and non Jat Historians as well on the Kushana, Gupta and Vardhana dynasties whose clan names resemble with the present day Jat clan names.

How far this is justifiable, is for the historians after they revalidate the available evidences and then arrive at some convincing conclusion.

Perhaps we will have to start first to find out when and how did the Jat Identity initiate, emerge, grew and assumed the present position in the social hierarchy in Indian society as well as abroad.

Thanks and regards,
    Thanks Rajpal ji. I also came across such references but I believe that is not enjoying wide acceptence. I was looking for something more
    Become more and more innocent, less knowledgeable and more childlike. Take life as fun - because that's precisely what it is!

10. The Following User Says Thank You to prashantacmet For This Useful Post:

DrRajpalSingh (June 25th, 2013)

Quote Originally Posted by prashantacmet View Post
    Thanks Rajpal ji. I also came across such references but I believe that is not enjoying wide acceptence. I was looking for something more
    Something more on the Origin of the Maurya:

The Puranas mention that after the extermination of all Kshatriyas by Mahapadaman Nanda,

kings will be of Sudra origin
    . In some Puranic texts the reading is Sudra-prayastav adharmikaha.

[Pargiter, Dynasties of the Kali Age, p. 25,]. Sudra-like and irreligious are not an inappropriate description

of several members of the Maurya family who showed predilection for Jainism and Buddhism.

One text, the Markandeya Purana, goes so far as to brand the Mauryas as Asuras. [88.5].

Suradvish,
    it may be remembered, is used by the Bhagwata Purana, in reference to people

beguiled by the Buddha. [1.3.24]

12. The Following User Says Thank You to DrRajpalSingh For This Useful Post:

VirJ (June 25th, 2013)

The puranic sources quoted above show that the orthodox priestly class tried to

beguile those who did not subscribe to their teachings and preachings. Thus they even

tried to put them at the bottom of the hierarchy of the society of the day.

Such people were recorded in their literature as 'Shudras' or even 'Asuras'. They have

in vain tried to malign the Maurya ruling dynasty which originally belonged to Kshatriya varna

of indian social system as has been recorded in some other texts including the Buddhist sources.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to DrRajpalSingh For This Useful Post:

prashantacmet (June 25th, 2013)