Thread: Queries related to medical studies and medical school in US

Queries related to medical studies and medical school in US

Hello All

I am looking for some information regarding medical studies and medical school in US. I am working in IT for the past few years but like to start with medical studies here, so related to that i need some information for required pre-qualification, time frame needed and kind of a small list of some queries. I have studied combined till 10+2 (medical+non-medical), and prepared for medical exam in India.

If anyone has some good idea about the same, would like to discuss few things in details.

Thanks
    Meenu
    "So many tangles in life are ultimately hopeless that we have no appropriate sword other than laughter."
    -- Gordon William Allport (1897-1967), American psychologist

2. The Following User Says Thank You to meenu_singhch For This Useful Post:

satyenderdeswal (October 15th, 2012)

dear meenu

it might be ur interest in studying medicine but its a liitle strange for me that u are going from I.T profession to study medicine.i would like to mention few points that u should think before switching of ur career from I.T to medicine

1. the duration of course for medicine is 4 years to 4-7 years . can u give this much of time to ur education now when u are working and not a student because studying medicine is not part time its a full fledged course of extensive study.

2. studying medicine is very costly in u.s , so can u afford it and cosider ur financial capabilities also.

3. No. of seats for international students are very few in u.s medical schools. so. u have to evaluate ur chances of getting enrolled in these schools

4. U.S. citizens finance a large chunk of their medical education through federal loans, which international students cannot get. An international student wanting to study in America should be “extremely wealthy” and “extremely committed.”

rest all ,to get information for international students is not very difficult, u can visit official website of various medical schools and can get the information.

i wish u all best for ur career.
    Last edited by drkarminder; October 14th, 2012 at 10:50 PM.
    We judge ourselves by what we feel capable of doing, while others judge us by what we have already done

4. The Following User Says Thank You to drkarminder For This Useful Post:

anuragsunda (October 16th, 2012)

i wish u all best for ur career.------
    thank you so much

else ur other pieces of information--highly demotivating .... .........no offence Dr Sahab

@meenu- all the very best , changing fields is very big decision . May u rock in medical science as well

Quote Originally Posted by rekha View Post
    i wish u all best for ur career.------
    thank you so much

else ur other pieces of information--highly demotivating .... .........no offence Dr Sahab

@meenu- all the very best , changing fields is very big decision . May u rock in medical science as well
    i thought its a guidance , i just suggested her to analyse few facts before opting for medicines.

i didnt find any demotivation in my reply. may be u picked some but thats individual's way of thinking.
    We judge ourselves by what we feel capable of doing, while others judge us by what we have already done

7. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to drkarminder For This Useful Post:

anilsangwan (October 15th, 2012), deependra (October 15th, 2012), DrRajpalSingh (October 15th, 2012), satyenderdeswal (October 15th, 2012)

Cool Dr Sahab-----

N yes u r right------the way u see n I see different . Did not meant to offend u sir .

Quote Originally Posted by drkarminder View Post
    i thought its a guidance , i just suggested her to analyse few facts before opting for medicines.

i didnt find any demotivation in my reply. may be u picked some but thats individual's way of thinking.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to rekhasmriti For This Useful Post:

DrRajpalSingh (October 15th, 2012)

You should have to have some graduation degree (humanities or science doesn't matter) which is recognized by US universities. Some research experience in biomedical science would help in getting admission, tuition fee would be around 200K USD

Quote Originally Posted by meenu_singhch View Post
    Hello All

I am looking for some information regarding medical studies and medical school in US. I am working in IT for the past few years but like to start with medical studies here, so related to that i need some information for required pre-qualification, time frame needed and kind of a small list of some queries. I have studied combined till 10+2 (medical+non-medical), and prepared for medical exam in India.

If anyone has some good idea about the same, would like to discuss few things in details.

Thanks
    Meenu

11. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to deshi-jat For This Useful Post:

anilsangwan (October 15th, 2012), deependra (October 15th, 2012), DrRajpalSingh (October 15th, 2012), satyenderdeswal (October 15th, 2012), vicky84 (October 15th, 2012)

Hi Meenu,

Sorry for the Late reply.

There are few Jat groups who help Jats wordwide Like Jat vikas parishad (JVP) , NAJC and Canadian Jat groups.

you can

1.Call on JVP helpline number : +91 - 9971 569 769
    for Queries & issues in Countries :India ,Pakistan ,USA ,Canada ,Australia ,New zealand ,France .
    Timings : 8 pm to 10 pm IST (Monday to Saturday) ,
    Mail at : jatvikasparishad@gmail.com

OR

2. You can also query with NAJC (North American Jat Charities) groups
    for Queries & issues in Countries : USA/India/Canada.
    This group basically deals in scholarships/charities in india but also helps the needy in USA.
    Mail Link : Query-NAJC.

Discuss your Detailed Query ,Education qualifications ,Location ,age ,Nationality, type of visa holding etc

They will provide you the possible resources(Nurse/Doctors/Councillors and other Professionals) available in USA/Canada/Australia or anywhere in the world (as per the availability in their resource bank),who can guide you properly in this context.

Thanks & Regards,
    Saurabh Jaglan
    Last edited by saurabhjaglan; October 15th, 2012 at 04:13 PM.
    I find brothers in all castes , love in all religions. This whole world is my family .

13. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to saurabhjaglan For This Useful Post:

DrRajpalSingh (October 15th, 2012), rekhasmriti (October 15th, 2012), satyenderdeswal (October 15th, 2012)

Thanks Dr. Karminder for the quick response to my post.

you are right it's a big move to switch career line. After my 10+2 i tried to get in for MBBS but i was short by few points and got BDS which i didn't opt.

Though i am not 100% decided yet but i want to give it a thought. I have already booked appointment for student counselor here but still wanted to gather as much information and questions to be asked before if anyone has experience in related field here.
    I am considering the following points, correct me if i am wrong anywhere

1. 2 yrs for undergrad( which I may need to do few courses as i has medical sc. in my 10+2 but may be some courses i need to take) which i can take along with my current job. and prepare for MCAT.

2. Medical school 4 yrs. only medical studies, no other job i can pursue off course

3. then residency , this time i will start to get paid some.

Thanks
    Meenu

Quote Originally Posted by drkarminder View Post
    dear meenu

it might be ur interest in studying medicine but its a liitle strange for me that u are going from I.T profession to study medicine.i would like to mention few points that u should think before switching of ur career from I.T to medicine

1. the duration of course for medicine is 4 years to 4-7 years . can u give this much of time to ur education now when u are working and not a student because studying medicine is not part time its a full fledged course of extensive study.

2. studying medicine is very costly in u.s , so can u afford it and cosider ur financial capabilities also.

3. No. of seats for international students are very few in u.s medical schools. so. u have to evaluate ur chances of getting enrolled in these schools

4. U.S. citizens finance a large chunk of their medical education through federal loans, which international students cannot get. An international student wanting to study in America should be “extremely wealthy” and “extremely committed.”

rest all ,to get information for international students is not very difficult, u can visit official website of various medical schools and can get the information.

i wish u all best for ur career.
    "So many tangles in life are ultimately hopeless that we have no appropriate sword other than laughter."

Thanks Jaglan Sir, this piece of information may be very helpful to me and many others.

Quote Originally Posted by saurabhjaglan View Post
    Hi Meenu,

Sorry for the Late reply.

There are few Jat groups who help Jats wordwide Like Jat vikas parishad (JVP) , NAJC and Canadian Jat groups.

you can

1.Call on JVP helpline number : +91 - 9971 569 769
    for Queries & issues in Countries :India ,Pakistan ,USA ,Canada ,Australia ,New zealand ,France .
    Timings : 8 pm to 10 pm IST (Monday to Saturday) ,
    Mail at : jatvikasparishad@gmail.com

OR

2. You can also query with NAJC (North American Jat Charities) groups
    for Queries & issues in Countries : USA/India/Canada.
    This group basically deals in scholarships/charities in india but also helps the needy in USA.
    Mail Link : Query-NAJC.

Discuss your Detailed Query ,Education qualifications ,Location ,age ,Nationality, type of visa holding etc

They will provide you the possible resources(Nurse/Doctors/Councillors and other Professionals) available in USA/Canada/Australia or anywhere in the world (as per the availability in their resource bank),who can guide you properly in this context.

Thanks & Regards,
    Saurabh Jaglan

Thanks sir for the reply i guess i need to take some undergrad courses as I am graduated in non-medical as per my all information i gathered but still i am planning to go to student counselor.

Thanks
    Meenu

Quote Originally Posted by deshi-jat View Post
    You should have to have some graduation degree (humanities or science doesn't matter) which is recognized by US universities. Some research experience in biomedical science would help in getting admission, tuition fee would be around 200K USD

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to meenu_singhch For This Useful Post:

anuragsunda (October 16th, 2012), DrRajpalSingh (October 15th, 2012)

Quote Originally Posted by meenu_singhch View Post
    Thanks Dr. Karminder for the quick response to my post.

you are right it's a big move to switch career line. After my 10+2 i tried to get in for MBBS but i was short by few points and got BDS which i didn't opt.

Though i am not 100% decided yet but i want to give it a thought. I have already booked appointment for student counselor here but still wanted to gather as much information and questions to be asked before if anyone has experience in related field here.
    I am considering the following points, correct me if i am wrong anywhere

1. 2 yrs for undergrad( which I may need to do few courses as i has medical sc. in my 10+2 but may be some courses i need to take) which i can take along with my current job. and prepare for MCAT.

2. Medical school 4 yrs. only medical studies, no other job i can pursue off course

3. then residency , this time i will start to get paid some.

Thanks
    Meenu
    good..carry on with ur plans and see which undergraduate course will suit u better. i think it will be good if u will go for undergraduation in public health and later on after ur u.g in medicine u can go for masters in public health that will improve ur job profile. this will open ur job options in WHO.

if u had studies dentistry then u wd have benefitd a lot because after that u have to appear for u.s national board exams to practice in u.s, that is not very tough. being a dentist in u.s is really something. two of my seniors have just completed their DDS from boston after doing BDS from my college and are now going for private practice. anyway thats not an option now.

best option is that u meet some good counsellor and then decide how to go for it.
    Last edited by drkarminder; October 16th, 2012 at 02:45 PM.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to drkarminder For This Useful Post:

anuragsunda (October 16th, 2012)

Quote Originally Posted by rekha View Post

@meenu- all the very best , changing fields is very big decision .

Its good to accept reality rather than keep him/herself motivating for wrong means. There is no bar in education and acquiring knowledge. At any time we can change our field of study which require self-motivation, interest and commitment.

I think Prof. Venkatraman "Venki" Ramakrishnan is best example.
    He moved to Vadodara (previously also known as Baroda) in Gujarat at the age of three, where he had his schooling at Convent of Jesus and Mary, except for spending 1960–61 in Adelaide, Australia. Following his Pre-Science at the Maharaja Sayajirao University of Baroda, he did his undergraduate studies in the same university on a National Science Talent Scholarship, graduating with a BSc degree in Physics in 1971. In a January 2010 lecture at the Indian Institute of Science, he revealed that he failed to get admitted to any of the Indian Institutes of Technology or the Christian Medical College, Vellore, Tamil Nadu.

http://articles.timesofindia.indiatimes.com/2010-01-05/india/28132308_1_entrance-tests-coaching-classes-iits

Immediately after graduation he moved to the U.S.A., where he obtained his PhD degree in Physics from Ohio University in 1976. He then spent two years studying biology as a graduate student at the University of California, San Diego while making a transition from theoretical physics to biology.

Ramakrishnan began work on ribosomes as a postdoctoral fellow with Peter Moore at Yale University. After his post-doctoral fellowship, he initially could not find a faculty position even though he had applied to about 50 universities in the U.S.
    He continued to work on ribosomes from 1983-95 as a staff scientist at Brookhaven National Laboratory. In 1995 he moved to the University of Utah as a Professor of Biochemistry, and in 1999, he moved to his current position at the Medical Research Council Laboratory of Molecular Biology in Cambridge, England.

Venkatraman "Venki" Ramakrishnan (born 1952) is an Indian-born American and British structural biologist, who shared the 2009 Nobel Prize in Chemistry with Thomas A. Steitz and Ada E. Yonath, "for studies of the structure and function of the ribosome".