Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Origin of "MALIK" family name.

Origin of "MALIK" family name.

"Malik", is a prominent and big clan of "Jats". Lot of "Malik" in the past converted to Islam, many of whom are now in Pakistan. "Malik" family name is not only found in Indian subcontinent but also in "Europe".
    • If you google "Fredmund Malik" or "Wittwulf Y Malik", you will find them in Europe and the ancestors of these individual "Maliks" have been living in Europe as far as they can trace their history. Similarly family names like "Gill" is often found in Europe.

A theory is being put forward by some individuals that the family name "Malik" comes from "Maalik". "Maalik" is an Arabic word which means "Owner" and the people of "Maalik"trace their ancestry to middle east or Arabic nations, which does not seem to be true.

"Jats" trace their ancesstry to central Asian tribes, which lived all the way from Siberia till North India at certain period of time mainly during the time period of "Kurgan culture" and time before that. These tribes then migrated from central Asia to different parts of the world and the empty space left by them was filled by other nomadic tribes of Mongoloid origin. "Jat" family names follow "clan" system, which connects them to their tribal and ethnic links, that is why we see the same family names throughout Europe.

In "Jats", we have clan system and a thought that people of same "family name" are coming from common genetic roots. In this case the concept of "Maalik" does not hold true. "Malik" and "Maalik" are two very similar words with entirely different roots.
    I was surprised that the wikipedia page for "Malik Jat Gotra" has disappeared from the web and only link to "Malik" that a person can find is in the form of definition of "Maalik" i.e. "owner" from Arabic view.
    Jats are not very religious people but "Jats" of certain faiths are strongly advocating the fact that "Maliks" trace their ancestry to Arabic tribes.
    Which it seems does not hold true.

Quote Originally Posted by maddhan1979 View Post
    "Malik", is a prominent and big clan of "Jats". Lot of "Malik" in the past converted to Islam, many of whom are now in Pakistan. "Malik" family name is not only found in Indian subcontinent but also in "Europe".
    • If you google "Fredmund Malik" or "Wittwulf Y Malik", you will find them in Europe and the ancestors of these individual "Maliks" have been living in Europe as far as they can trace their history. Similarly family names like "Gill" is often found in Europe.

A theory is being put forward by some individuals that the family name "Malik" comes from "Maalik". "Maalik" is an Arabic word which means "Owner" and the people of "Maalik"trace their ancestry to middle east or Arabic nations, which does not seem to be true.

"Jats" trace their ancesstry to central Asian tribes, which lived all the way from Siberia till North India at certain period of time mainly during the time period of "Kurgan culture" and time before that. These tribes then migrated from central Asia to different parts of the world and the empty space left by them was filled by other nomadic tribes of Mongoloid origin. "Jat" family names follow "clan" system, which connects them to their tribal and ethnic links, that is why we see the same family names throughout Europe.

In "Jats", we have clan system and a thought that people of same "family name" are coming from common genetic roots. In this case the concept of "Maalik" does not hold true. "Malik" and "Maalik" are two very similar words with entirely different roots.
    I was surprised that the wikipedia page for "Malik Jat Gotra" has disappeared from the web and only link to "Malik" that a person can find is in the form of definition of "Maalik" i.e. "owner" from Arabic view.
    Jats are not very religious people but "Jats" of certain faiths are strongly advocating the fact that "Maliks" trace their ancestry to Arabic tribes.
    Which it seems does not hold true.
    On similar topic there exists separate thread on this very site. This is for the Moderators to see if they deem it fit to merge the thread with :
    How Gathwala Jats got the title “Malik”

Friend,

Do not take it otherwise, it would be in fitness of things if we concentrate research on relevant topics at one place and not scatter it here and there, the contribution of budding researcher-scholars would be immense in the service of the community and Jatland.com

Thanks.
    Last edited by DrRajpalSingh; November 17th, 2012 at 04:32 PM.

Dear Sir,
    U r right, that we should not scatter it here and there. I have little time and there are views, thoughts and knowledge that i will like to share on "Jat Origins and other related issues". I am a computer scientist and in my spare time able to gather and pass on information and thoughts to my fellow people.

Check this out:

http://www.wittwulf-y-malik.com/www/lang/de/index.php

A thought that " Malik " in Europe came from Arabic countries is being propagated due to the following website:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Malik

The information here is misguiding and connecting " Malik" family name to wrong roots.

Quote Originally Posted by maddhan1979 View Post
    A thought that " Malik " in Europe came from Arabic countries is being propagated due to the following website:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Malik

The information here is misguiding and connecting " Malik" family name to wrong roots.
    If it is so, then what is the right information, Friend.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to subhashmahla For This Useful Post:

DrRajpalSingh (November 17th, 2012)

What do u mean by what?
    Naturally for supporting my statements about presence of "Malik" family name in Europe.

Quote Originally Posted by DrRajpalSingh View Post
    If it is so, then what is the right information, Friend.
    Right information also lies in the clues like name of the people e.g. "Dryav Singh". "Darya" in persian means "http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amu_Darya" and " http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Syr_Darya".
    So some one coming from "Darya" becomes "Daryav". This also means that Persians recognized these people as "some one coming from Darya".

13. The Following User Says Thank You to maddhan1979 For This Useful Post:

DrRajpalSingh (November 17th, 2012)

malik or gathwala pay baat h to kya ye sahi h ki jaichand (pritivi raj fame) gathwala thaa??

Quote Originally Posted by jaisingh318 View Post
    malik or gathwala pay baat h to kya ye sahi h ki jaichand (pritivi raj fame) gathwala thaa??
    I don't think so. Jaichand was related with Rathores.

Quote Originally Posted by bsbana View Post
    I don't think so. Jaichand was related with Rathores.
    Jaichand was Gaharwal not Gathwal!!

17. The Following User Says Thank You to DrRajpalSingh For This Useful Post:

jaisingh318 (March 13th, 2013)

Weren't he related with Rathore ?

Quote Originally Posted by bsbana View Post
    Weren't he related with Rathore ?
    It has nothing to do with the topic of the thread ! Read History books on Rajputs to know about him, please, as the Jat Form and the thread are not related to that aspect.

kiwandete /shrutti (suni sunai baat ) kay adhar p kah raha hu ..ha english m orr deshi bolchall m fark natural h..jaise ki gaadwal and gatthhwal.

21. The Following User Says Thank You to jaisingh318 For This Useful Post:

rskankara (March 14th, 2013)

malik is just a title like chaudhary not a gotra, i have seen many muslim barbers, teli etc using this title
    Become more and more innocent, less knowledgeable and more childlike. Take life as fun - because that's precisely what it is!

23. The Following User Says Thank You to prashantacmet For This Useful Post:

rajpaldular (March 14th, 2013)

Quote Originally Posted by prashantacmet View Post
    malik is just a title like chaudhary not a gotra, i have seen many muslim barbers, teli etc using this title
    प्रशांत जी ! आपने सत्य कहा।
    पाकिस्तान के पंजाब प्रांत में मोची समुदाय भी अपने नाम के पश्चात 'मलिक' लगाते हैं।
    मस्कट में ऐसे मलिकों से मेरी भेंट हुई थी।
    India and Israel (Hindus & Jews) are true friends in this World. Both are Long Live and yes also both have survived and surviving under adverse conditions.

भाई ये इतिहास भी बड़ा पेचीदा है, इसे जब चाहो अपने तरीके से इसकी व्याख्या कर लो, मै तो अब तक "मलिक" तो एक गोत्र ही समझता था...हाँ मलिक मुस्लिम भी है वह अलग बात है| जाटलेंड का यह पेज भी यही कहता है|
    http://www.jatland.com/home/Malik

Quote Originally Posted by prashantacmet View Post
    जाट के ठाठ हैं .....