Thread: Special Status for Bihar?

Special Status for Bihar?

The opportunist CM of Bihar, Nitish Kumar says that he would support only that political party at the centre which gives Bihar the status of a special state. This would be his only consideration for lending support.

I am not sure why does Bihar or for that matter any other state need a special status when India is a Union of states, all of them enjoying the same status and standing constitutionally. Of course in the time of need as in any calamity or general backwardness certain level of assistance can always be provided as a one-time measure.

Special status because Bihar has 40 Lok Sabha seats and that it can use them (which is a sizeable number as against 10 in Haryana) as a bargaining chip to garner more resources for the state??
    Some use the gun (terrorism in J&K and North-East) to get more central funds and resources, some use Lok Sabha seat power, some use dynastic rule (Gandhi family), WHAT do others like Haryana do?

Does that mean all the states should have equal number of Lok Sabha and Rajya Sabha seats (and voting power) irrespective of state population so that we do not incentivize certain states for having higher population numbers, poverty, militancy and other such evils????

2. The Following User Says Thank You to AbhikRana For This Useful Post:

rekhasmriti (November 12th, 2012)

बिहारियां ने आधी दुनिया ऊंए स्पेशल समझ से, और स्पेशल बनक क़े करेंगे ये..
    We judge ourselves by what we feel capable of doing, while others judge us by what we have already done

4. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to drkarminder For This Useful Post:

anilphogat (November 13th, 2012), rekhasmriti (November 13th, 2012), sukhbirhooda (November 13th, 2012), vipinrathee (November 26th, 2012)

Quote Originally Posted by AbhikRana View Post
    some use dynastic rule (Gandhi family), WHAT do others like Haryana do?
    I think Haryana got enough funds from Union government in last 8 years.

Financial grants and funds is just one aspect. I am also talking about the voting power associated with each state in terms of having a say in national policy formulation.

What about states in the North East having a meagre two or three MPs? The say that these states have in giving direction or being part of giving direction to the national politics is almost zilch with a majority of MPs coming from populous states like UP, Bihar, Bengal, AP, Maharashtra, etc.

Our constitution is an organic document which needs to adapt to the ever changing environment and the needs associated with that particular environment. It's time that people from the less and least represented states raise their voices on this issue for suitable amendments.

Quote Originally Posted by atishmohan View Post
    I think Haryana got enough funds from Union government in last 8 years.
    Last edited by AbhikRana; November 13th, 2012 at 12:41 PM.