Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Haryana, the Cradle of History and Culture of India

Haryana, the Cradle of History and Culture of India

Haryana though emerged as a province of Indian Union on 1st November 1966 yet its history is very ancient and rich. It was here that the relics of the history and culture from times immemorial are being unearthed from every nook and corner of the state. The relics and records of the contribution of this region in various ways to enrich the Indian cultural history abound.

Let us join hands to share our studies, knowledge and ideas on the issue of the contribution of Haryana through the ages. This will be useful in filling many a gap in present history of India and as such a real contribution to the general history of India. Later on we can take up study of other Stae's history.
    History is best when created, better when re-constructed and worst when invented.

Friends,

As you all are aware starting from Pre-Historic/Proto-Historic times to modern times Haryana offers many land marks for the scholars to ponder over.

Under this thread discussion, we can put our views/studies on the ancient remains found in various parts of the state; the art, artifices, architecture of this area through the ages; contribution of Haryanavi Sufi and Bhakti saints, resistance of the people of Haryana against the marauders and invaders whether they were Turks or Afghans or Mughals or the British and French or any other. The contribution of Haryana in freedom movement and nation building may offer a rich mine of information for the participants of the discussion.

So kindly come up with your valued contributions for reconstruction of history of Haryana and of India.

Thanks
    History is best when created, better when re-constructed and worst when invented.

Title of this thread seems to be self glorifying to me. Every part of India can claim for such titles. Let us focus only on present day Haryana and list the things which originated from here. No doubt, quite a few battles were fought in Panipat and Kuruksetra, but tat does not make Haryana as the cradle of Indian history and civilization. You talk of Sufi and Bhakti saints, please elaborate and mention the names. Pardon my ignorance, I can not think of any prominent name from western UP and present day Haryana. Leave aside some minor players, no stalwart of freedom movement was born in this area. I will like to know the names of some great authors, musicians, singers, businessmen, great leaders or anything else who were born in western UP or Haryana. My own understand is contrary to what all you wrote. We just provided foot soldiers to rulers. Please enlighten us by quoting some solid evidence to back your claims. I will be very happy to change my opinion.
    There are many paths leading to God, politics is certainly not one of them...

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to rkumar For This Useful Post:

DrRajpalSingh (April 15th, 2013), sivach (April 15th, 2013), ssgoyat (April 15th, 2013)

Maharishi Ved Vyas, the author of the first account of Bharata War named Jaya is said to have belonged to this region. He is also credited with getting indexed the Four Veda Samhitas and also put into service his four-six deciplies to compile Puranas.

The Puranas contained ancient history whereas Jaya enshrined the description of the contemporary events [contemporary to Vyas ji].

The writing of the Puranas in future were written in the future tense and not in past tense as was decided by the congregation of risis on that occasion.

Thus Ved Vyasa's contribution remains fascinating in the field of providing literary sources and his Jaya grew in due course of time into Bharata and later on Mahabharata which also enshrines in itself Srimadbhagwat Gita.

If this is true it is no mean contribution of this region.

Quote Originally Posted by DrRajpalSingh View Post
    Maharishi Ved Vyas, the author of the first account of Bharata War named Jaya is said to have belonged to this region. He is also credited with getting indexed the Four Veda Samhitas and also put into service his four-six deciplies to compile Puranas.

The Puranas contained ancient history whereas Jaya enshrined the description of the contemporary events [contemporary to Vyas ji].

The writing of the Puranas in future were written in the future tense and not in past tense as was decided by the congregation of risis on that occasion.

Thus Ved Vyasa's contribution remains fascinating in the field of providing literary sources and his Jaya grew in due course of time into Bharata and later on Mahabharata which also enshrines in itself Srimadbhagwat Gita.

If this is true it is no mean contribution of this region.

No doubt ved Vyas wrote all what you have mentioned. However. there is no literary evidence that he belonged to the land of present day haryana or western UP. If following is taken to be any authentic, he was born in Kalpi, Jalaun distt, which is in Bundelkhand region. Is there any mention anywhere that Vyasa lived in present day Haryana? If yes, please quote. This much about Vyasa. How about those Sufi and Bhakti saints who lived in Haryana? I will like to know 10 names of great people from Haryana and western UP who
    are part of written history of India. Did we have any great social reformer like Dayanand (though we had loads of his followers), Tulsi, Surdas, Kabir ? Any world class painter, musician, singer, statesman, film personality, actor ? Any major technical invention, other than "Jugad" in the area during last 1000 years?

7. The Following User Says Thank You to rkumar For This Useful Post:

ssgoyat (April 16th, 2013)

Quote Originally Posted by rkumar View Post
    No doubt ved Vyas wrote all what you have mentioned. However. there is no literary evidence that he belonged to the land of present day haryana or western UP. If following is taken to be any authentic, he was born in Kalpi, Jalaun distt, which is in Bundelkhand region. Is there any mention anywhere that Vyasa lived in present day Haryana? If yes, please quote. This much about Vyasa. How about those Sufi and Bhakti saints who lived in Haryana? I will like to know 10 names of great people from Haryana and western UP who
    are part of written history of India. Did we have any great social reformer like Dayanand (though we had loads of his followers), Tulsi, Surdas, Kabir ? Any world class painter, musician, singer, statesman, film personality, actor ? Any major technical invention, other than "Jugad" in the area during last 1000 years?
    Looks like you have not met Upender singh urf Uppu....... RK ji..
    Become more and more innocent, less knowledgeable and more childlike. Take life as fun - because that's precisely what it is!

No doubt ved Vyas wrote all what you have mentioned. However..... How about those Sufi and Bhakti saints who lived in Haryana? I will like to know 10 name............ Did we have any great social reformer like Dayanand (though we had loads of his followers), Tulsi, Surdas, Kabir ? Any world class painter, musician, singer, statesman, film personality, actor ? Any major technical invention, other than "Jugad" in the area during last 1000 years?
    Regarding the Birthplace of Ved Vyas, Kalpi can be right place but it may be a village near Ambala, not in far off Bundelkhand Region, for, he was closely associated with the Kuru family and their realm, perhaps, did not include Kalpi {Bundelkhand}. Bilaspur near Yamunanagar is associated with his name as it contains a pool or tank of water known as Byaspur, where annual Kapal Mochan festival in the month of Kartik Purnima is organised.

But, admittedly, no last word can be said on the issue with certainty. The same would apply to Birbal and Surdas where claims and counter claims persist.

Some of them from Modern Haryana Region are:

1. Surdas is said to have born at Sihi village near Faridabad.

2. Shershah Suri [Farid in childhood] was born at Hisar or Narnaul [Haryana].

3. Hemu [Hemchander Vikramditya], who fought against Akbar in Second battle of Panipat was born at Rewari.

4. Balram Teowatia and Raja Nahar Singh were from Ballabhgarh, the last named martyred by the British for his participation in the First War of Indian Independence.

5.Birbal, one of the nine gems of Akbar. was born at Buria where his palace still found in dilapidated condition; Narnaul also claims to be his birth place.

6. Bu Ali Qulandhar Shah Panipati,a great Sufi saint from Panipat.

7. Chaudhary Seth Chhaju Ram Lamba, famous philanthropist and Business magnet of first half of 20th century from Alakhpura in Bhiwani District of Haryana.

8. Chaudhary Sir Chhotu Ram--Deenbandhu and Rahabar-i-azam, Unionist Party leader and peasant leader of note of pre-partition India.

9. Pandit Lakhmi Chand--noted folk artiste SAANG writer and performer.

10. Acharya Bhagwan Dev {Omanand Saraswati}, founder of Gurukul Jhajjar, noted writer and great Arya Samajist.

11. Jananayak Chaudhary Devi Lal, Freedom Fighter and former Dy. Prime Minister of India.

12. Chaudhary Bansi Lal, former Railway Minister and Haryana, Chief Minister, Noted Administrator.

13. Master Chandgi Ram, Bharat Kesari, wrestler.

14. Ch. Leela Ram from Ghasola near Charkhi Dadri, the first Indian to win medal in Asian games.

And the list can further be expanded by adding more names by participants in the discussion.

Separate lists for other parts like Western U P or Rajasthan or any other part of Jat dominated regions may be prepared separately.

Quote Originally Posted by prashantacmet View Post
    Looks like you have not met Upender singh urf Uppu....... RK ji..

I had a gut feeling .....Woh kanhi Aaas Paas hi hai.

In addition to the names noted in post 7 above, the name of Chaudhary Gokul Singh of Tilpat near Ballabhgarh stands as a pioneer rebel leader against the mighty Mughal Empire in 1669.

Encouraged by his brave fight against the forces of exploitation led by the officers of Aurangzeb started a chain of revolts against the Mughals in the form of Satnami Revolt of Narnaul region 1770, Rajput Revolt, Sikh Revolt, Bundella Revolt and so on which ultimately resulted in disintegration and downfall of the Mughals.

The sacrifices of Gokula Singh and his camp followers did not go waste as this act of supreme sacrifices opened a chain of reaction among the Jat community. That is why this revolt did not end with their martyrdom but vertically spread to adjacent region of Uttar Pradesh and Rajasthan and many Jat centres of political power came into existence in which Sinsinwar Jat House of Bharatpur and Gohad house of Bamraulia Rana played significant role in 18th century onward. Hathras, Mursan and a few more principalities also came to power.
    Last edited by DrRajpalSingh; April 16th, 2013 at 08:07 AM.

Haryana can rightly claim a place of honour in history of India as it was the region where a great historic figure named Harsavardhan was born at Thanesar, Kuukshetra.

His life, achievements and place in the history of India needs no introduction as his name and place is well known to everyone.
    Last edited by DrRajpalSingh; April 16th, 2013 at 12:16 AM.

For identification of some lesser known ancient sites of Haryana, log in please thread : http://www.jatland.com/forums/showth...ITE-IN-HARYANA

The sacrifice of veer gokkal and naahar singh was in no matter less than nana sahib, tatya tope or lakshmi bai or any other revered fighter who has been glorified in the Indian history books...Though People ofter forget gokkal and naahar singh but we hardly see in Indian history sacrifce of their order.. ..History of jats is not glorified that does not mean we don't have a gleaming history...

RK ji...can you please take up any other region or race in India and list down their stalwarts in Politics, sports , freedom struggle etc and let us see after how short this region fall!!
    Become more and more innocent, less knowledgeable and more childlike. Take life as fun - because that's precisely what it is!

Quote Originally Posted by prashantacmet View Post
    The sacrifice of veer gokkal and naahar singh was in no matter less than nana sahib, tatya tope or lakshmi bai or any other revered fighter who has been glorified in the Indian history books...Though People ofter forget gokkal and naahar singh but we hardly see in Indian history sacrifce of their order.. ..History of jats is not glorified that does not mean we don't have a gleaming history...

RK ji...can you please take up any other region or race in India and list down their stalwarts in Politics, sports , freedom struggle etc and let us see after how short this region fall!!
    Let us start with Bengal. I am not mentioning any names. I leave it to you to pick the names of freedom fighters, novel laureates, scientists, great musicians,actors, film makers, novelists and philosophers and the comparable names from our region. I am a proud Jat, however, I accept what in my view the true picture is.

16. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to rkumar For This Useful Post:

cooljat (April 16th, 2013), sivach (April 16th, 2013), ssgoyat (April 16th, 2013), swaich (April 16th, 2013)

Regarding the Birthplace of Ved Vyas, Kalpi can be right place but it may be a village near Ambala, not in far off Bundelkhand Region, for, he was closely associated with the Kuru family and their realm, perhaps, did not include Kalpi {Bundelkhand}. Bilaspur near Yamunanagar is associated with his name as it contains a pool or tank of water known as Byaspur, where annual Kapal Mochan festival in the month of Kartik Purnima is organised.

But, admittedly, no last word can be said on the issue with certainty. The same would apply to Birbal and Surdas where claims and counter claims persist.

Some of them from Modern Haryana Region are:

1. Surdas is said to have born at Sihi village near Faridabad.

2. Shershah Suri [Farid in childhood] was born at Hisar or Narnaul [Haryana].

3. Hemu [Hemchander Vikramditya], who fought against Akbar in Second battle of Panipat was born at Rewari.

4. Balram Teowatia and Raja Nahar Singh were from Ballabhgarh, the last named martyred by the British for his participation in the First War of Indian Independence.

5.Birbal, one of the nine gems of Akbar. was born at Buria where his palace still found in dilapidated condition; Narnaul also claims to be his birth place.

6. Bu Ali Qulandhar Shah Panipati,a great Sufi saint from Panipat.

7. Chaudhary Seth Chhaju Ram Lamba, famous philanthropist and Business magnet of first half of 20th century from Alakhpura in Bhiwani District of Haryana.

8. Chaudhary Sir Chhotu Ram--Deenbandhu and Rahabar-i-azam, Unionist Party leader and peasant leader of note of pre-partition India.

9. Pandit Lakhmi Chand--noted folk artiste SAANG writer and performer.

10. Acharya Bhagwan Dev {Omanand Saraswati}, founder of Gurukul Jhajjar, noted writer and great Arya Samajist.

11. Jananayak Chaudhary Devi Lal, Freedom Fighter and former Dy. Prime Minister of India.

12. Chaudhary Bansi Lal, former Railway Minister and Haryana, Chief Minister, Noted Administrator.

13. Master Chandgi Ram, Bharat Kesari, wrestler.

14. Ch. Leela Ram from Ghasola near Charkhi Dadri, the first Indian to win medal in Asian games.

And the list can further be expanded by adding more names by participants in the discussion.

Separate lists for other parts like Western U P or Rajasthan or any other part of Jat dominated regions may be prepared separately.
    Iss list par kiya tippni karoon Dr Sahab. Though there are many factual errors in the list, I will leave it here.

Iss list par kiya tippni karoon Dr Sahab. Though there are many factual errors in the list, I will leave it here.
    Friend,

If there might have crept in some inadvertent error, I am ready to accept the same and request you kindly to help me to rectify the same so that this mistake does not percolate further !

thanks and regards.

Let us start with Bengal. I am not mentioning any names. I leave it to you to pick the names of freedom fighters, novel laureates, scientists, great musicians,actors, film makers, novelists and philosophers and the comparable names from our region. I am a proud Jat, however, I accept what in my view the true picture is.
    Musicians to bohot hai RK Uncle.... ye list to sabse lambi mil jayegai.... :-p

Ek to wo.... "dessi ka pawwa, english ka addha... ...bambai ne thaa ke me rohtak me dhar dyu" gaane gawaane wale...

Ek wo ochchi Saang gaane wale Siwach aur ek Kadiyan karke aurat hai ek...cutting ali..:-p

Friend,

If there might have crept in some inadvertent error, I am ready to accept the same and request you kindly to help me to rectify the same so that this mistake does not percolate further !

thanks and regards.
    Looks like I am getting into a frequency mismatch here. May be we have different yardsticks to evaluate personalities. Just few points about some of the personalities;

1. Surdas: Majority believe he was born in Runakata. He wrote in Brijbhasa which is spoken around Agra and Mathura and certainly not around Faridabad.
    2. Birbal: He was born in present day MP and certainly not in Haryana. Might be he owned some gifted property in Haryana which does not qualify him a Haryanvi. I too own
    property in Haryana and Karnataka. I don't think that makes me a Haryanvi or Kannad.
    3. With full regards, many of the personalities mentioned at best can be called regional and not national or international.
    4. I have full admiration for Seth Chajju ram and the social work he did. I wonder if he did anything for the poor jute farmers from who profited the most ? I am ignorant on that
    aspect of his life. May be someone educate me. Just for comparative purpose please have a look at the life of one Swami Kalayan dev
    (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Swami_Kalyandev) and the social work he did among the villagers of western UP. This man was no Seth. However, he built over 300 educational
    institutions. As per my yardstick, Seth Chajjuram falls pale in front of Kalyan dev when it comes to social services.

Anyway, I have different views on all this and this is very subjective matter.

RK^2

21. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to rkumar For This Useful Post:

cooljat (April 17th, 2013), sivach (April 17th, 2013), ssgoyat (April 17th, 2013)

Quote Originally Posted by ssgoyat View Post
    Musicians to bohot hai RK Uncle.... ye list to sabse lambi mil jayegai.... :-p

Ek to wo.... "dessi ka pawwa, english ka addha... ...bambai ne thaa ke me rohtak me dhar dyu" gaane gawaane wale...

Ek wo ochchi Saang gaane wale Siwach aur ek Kadiyan karke aurat hai ek...cutting ali..:-p
    smiles...smiles...smiles...

Looks like I am getting into a frequency mismatch here. May be we have different yardsticks to evaluate personalities. Just few points about some of the personalities;

1. Surdas: Majority believe he was born in Runakata. He wrote in Brijbhasa which is spoken around Agra and Mathura and certainly not around Faridabad.
    2. Birbal: He was born in present day MP and certainly not in Haryana. Might be he owned some gifted property in Haryana which does not qualify him a Haryanvi. I too own
    property in Haryana and Karnataka. I don't think that makes me a Haryanvi or Kannad.
    3. With full regards, many of the personalities mentioned at best can be called regional and not national or international.
    4. I have full admiration for Seth Chajju ram and the social work he did. I wonder if he did anything for the poor jute farmers from who profited the most ? I am ignorant on that
    aspect of his life. May be someone educate me. Just for comparative purpose please have a look at the life of one Swami Kalayan dev
    (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Swami_Kalyandev) and the social work he did among the villagers of western UP. This man was no Seth. However, he built over 300 educational
    institutions. As per my yardstick, Seth Chajjuram falls pale in front of Kalyan dev when it comes to social services.

Anyway, I have different views on all this and this is very subjective matter.

RK^2
    ''This is a very subjective matter'' and I fully endorse it.

Yes, There is no unanimity on the names of the places where Surdas and Birbal were born. You have presented one point of view and I had gone with another.

Seth Chhaju Ram Lamba did extend financial help to several philanthropic and Social activities as well as to the cause of freedom movement. However it must be kept in mind that he was an upstart businessman and not a saint who had renounced worldly pursuits like Swamiji.

See please, http://www.jatland.com/home/Seth_Chhaju_Ram

Excavations of various archeological sites in Haryana, including Pehowa, have evidence of existence of pre-Harappan and Harappan culture in this region.

Findings consisting of pottery, sculptures and jewellery in various ancient sites at Pehowa, have proved the historicity of the Thiratha mentioned in Vana Parva of Mahabharata..