Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Understanding History

From what I know, x rays are used for composition determination such as those of alloys and also for obtaining clear images of soiled coins. The science behind these applications is fascinating and I highly recommend it to historians to familiarize themselves with it, if not already familiar. Knowing and applying science to history just makes both more interesting!

Carbon dating is used for organic materials dating.

Quote Originally Posted by DrRajpalSingh View Post
    In addition to the old methods applied for identification of timeline of the coins issued, new technology based on scientific inventions known as PIXLE system is used and a bit older system of Carbon14 system has almost been replaced by it. This system uses X-Rays to determine the exact date of the metal used in coins or found in any other form like utensils or implements.

Thanks and regards,
    Attention seekers and attention getters are two different class of people.

One need not even touch the excavated object such as a terracotta pot filled with something, to know what is inside it, if X-ray technology is used. It gives clear pictures of what is inside it, how it is placed etc. Science is an indispensable tool for history.

In addition to the old methods applied for identification of timeline of the coins issued, new technology based on scientific inventions known as PIXLE system is used and a bit older system of Carbon14 system has almost been replaced by it. This system uses X-Rays to determine the exact date of the metal used in coins or found in any other form like utensils or implements.

Thanks and regards,

Quote Originally Posted by urmiladuhan View Post
    One need not even touch the excavated object such as a terracotta pot filled with something, to know what is inside it, if X-ray technology is used. It gives clear pictures of what is inside it, how it is placed etc. Science is an indispensable tool for history.

Indeed advancement of science has revolutionised study of past. Nonetheless for determination of the timeline/date the metal has to be taken to laboratory for scientific experiments.

Thanks and regards,
    History is best when created, better when re-constructed and worst when invented.

Not necessarily. In many advanced countries, hand held x ray devices are in use. While the pot is still partially buried, the X-rays penetrate the pot and give an image of what is inside. If you like, I can post more information on it as I have recently read about it on the net.

Indeed advancement of science has revolutionised study of past. Nonetheless for determination of the timeline/date the metal has to be taken to laboratory for scientific experiments.

Thanks and regards,

Not necessarily. In many advanced countries, hand held x ray devices are in use. While the pot is still partially buried, the X-rays penetrate the pot and give an image of what is inside. If you like, I can post more information on it as I have recently read about it on the net.
    It would be interesting to learn how this process of X-Ray penetration decides the dateline without testing the metal. You may, if you please, place the relevant information on the process how the image of what is inside the pot decides the timeline.

Thanks and regards,

Thanks.
    Last edited by DrRajpalSingh; September 1st, 2013 at 07:06 AM.
    History is best when created, better when re-constructed and worst when invented.

By dateline, I presume you mean dating the material. Well, in the context of coins, what is written/shown on the coins, can help decide the time period. The technique is X-ray CT. various other X-ray techniques are used to determine the composition of the metal/alloy. This information in conjunction with the layer of the excavation and other supporting items found during excavation helps determine the age of the sample.

It would be interesting to learn how this process of X-Ray penetration decides the dateline without testing the metal. You may, if you please, place the relevant information on the process how the image of what is inside the pot decides the timeline.

Thanks and regards,

Thanks.
    Last edited by DrRajpalSingh; September 1st, 2013 at 07:07 AM.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to urmiladuhan For This Useful Post:

DrRajpalSingh (September 3rd, 2013)

By dateline, I presume you mean dating the material. Well, in the context of coins, what is written/shown on the coins, can help decide the time period. The technique is X-ray CT. various other X-ray techniques are used to determine the composition of the metal/alloy. This information in conjunction with the layer of the excavation and other supporting items found during excavation helps determine the age of the sample.
    In addition to the above mentioned means applied to ascertain the time line, attempt is made to establish cross contacts, if any, as has been done while discussing the chronology of Asoka or Kaniska, the two important kings of the ancient India belonging to two different dynasties.

The references about the relations of the other contemporary kings with King Asoka found on his edicts established their contemporariness; Reference about battle between forces of Kanishka and Pan Chao of China clinched the issue of chronology of two most important dynasties of Indian history.

Thanks and regards

In addition to the above mentioned means applied to ascertain the time line, attempt is made to establish cross contacts, if any, as has been done while discussing the chronology of Asoka or Kaniska, the two important kings of the ancient India belonging to two different dynasties.

The references about the relations of the other contemporary kings with King Asoka found on his edicts established their contemporariness; Reference about battle between forces of Kanishka and Pan Chao of China clinched the issue of chronology of two most important dynasties of Indian history.

Thanks and regards
    Which specific edict is being referred to here ?

Which specific edict is being referred to here ?
    For searching relevant information your attention is drawn to the posts available on the links of two threads on this very site :

Chronology of Indian History --Newer discussions

and

History and Historians on Jat Mauryan Empire[ founded by Chandragupta in c 323 BC]

If possible, kindly state the answer directly here.

Thanks and regards.

For searching relevant information your attention is drawn to the posts available on the links of two threads on this very site :

Chronology of Indian History --Newer discussions

and

History and Historians on Jat Mauryan Empire[ founded by Chandragupta in c 323 BC]

If possible, kindly state the answer directly here.

Thanks and regards.
    I think you have no time to go through the suggested source so for your convinience I am putting below the relevant link and extract from the post from :
    http://www.jatland.com/forums/showth...t=Asoka+edicts

Rock Edicts second and thirteenth of Asoka, reference has been made to a number of contemporary Yona, i.e. Greek Kings:
    RE II, A mentions 'the Yona king Antiyoka [Antiyaka at Girnar, Antiyoga at Kalsi and Mansehra] and the kings who are the neighbouring of this Antiyoka';
    and the RE XIII, Q, 'the Yona king Antiyoka [Antiyoga at Kalsi and Mansehra] and beyond him four kings, viz. Turamaya [Tulamaya at Kalsi], Antekina [Antikini at Shahbazgarhi], Maka [Maga at Girnar], and Alikasudara [Alikyashudala at Kalsi.'*

*[CII,vol I, Inscriptions of Asoka, Introduction XXX by E Hultzsch.], New ed. 1969.]''

For identification of the references about the kings and their kingdoms along with dateline further discussion has to be gone through by the interested person.

Thanks

There is no mention of kanishka in the reference you have cited. If possible, kindly clarify.

Regards.

QUOTE=DrRajpalSingh;346158]I think you have no time to go through the suggested source so for your convinience I am putting below the relevant link and extract from the post from :
    http://www.jatland.com/forums/showth...t=Asoka+edicts

Rock Edicts second and thirteenth of Asoka, reference has been made to a number of contemporary Yona, i.e. Greek Kings:
    RE II, A mentions 'the Yona king Antiyoka [Antiyaka at Girnar, Antiyoga at Kalsi and Mansehra] and the kings who are the neighbouring of this Antiyoka';
    and the RE XIII, Q, 'the Yona king Antiyoka [Antiyoga at Kalsi and Mansehra] and beyond him four kings, viz. Turamaya [Tulamaya at Kalsi], Antekina [Antikini at Shahbazgarhi], Maka [Maga at Girnar], and Alikasudara [Alikyashudala at Kalsi.'*

*[CII,vol I, Inscriptions of Asoka, Introduction XXX by E Hultzsch.], New ed. 1969.]''

For identification of the references about the kings and their kingdoms along with dateline further discussion has to be gone through by the interested person.

Thanks[/QUOTE]

There is no mention of kanishka in the reference you have cited. If possible, kindly clarify.

Regards.
    Regarding discussion on the timeline of Kanishka, I request readers to come forward and post their findings.

Thanks and regards

Findings from where? It seems you are assuming people are researching.

Regarding discussion on the timeline of Kanishka, I request readers to come forward and post their findings.

Thanks and regards

Findings from where? It seems you are assuming people are researching.
    You would, perhaps agree that without research no worthwhile debate or discussion on such a serious issue as to decide the chronology of history of ancient times is possible.

Thanks and regards,

Dr Rajpal, research and researching are 2 different things. It seems you are seeing them as one.

You would, perhaps agree that without research no worthwhile debate or discussion on such a serious issue as to decide the chronology of history of ancient times is possible.

Thanks and regards,

Dr Rajpal, research and researching are 2 different things. It seems you are seeing them as one.
    Thanks for the comment.

Now, let us proceed further to discuss how to understand what is history.

Your comments or views on the subject of the thread please.

में ते ,मखा कोए काम की बात चाल री होगी ।
    :rockwhen you found a key to success,some ideot change the lock,*******BREAK THE DOOR.
    हक़ मांगने से नहीं मिलता , छिना जाता हे |
    अहिंसा कमजोरों का हथियार हे |
    पगड़ी संभाल जट्टा |
    मौत नु आंगालियाँ पे नचांदे , ते आपां जाट कुहांदे |

20. The Following User Says Thank You to ravinderjeet For This Useful Post:

prashantacmet (September 5th, 2013)

anyone has understood " what is history"? If yes, please share.
    Become more and more innocent, less knowledgeable and more childlike. Take life as fun - because that's precisely what it is!

22. The Following User Says Thank You to prashantacmet For This Useful Post:

DrRajpalSingh (September 6th, 2013)

Quote Originally Posted by prashantacmet View Post
    anyone has understood " what is history"? If yes, please share.

हाँ ,एक दुसरे के चीज खोषण की कोशिश ,एक दुसरे ने नीचा दीखाण की कोशिश ,इन् बाताँ तें हिस्ट्री बनी स ।
    :rockwhen you found a key to success,some ideot change the lock,*******BREAK THE DOOR.
    हक़ मांगने से नहीं मिलता , छिना जाता हे |
    अहिंसा कमजोरों का हथियार हे |
    पगड़ी संभाल जट्टा |
    मौत नु आंगालियाँ पे नचांदे , ते आपां जाट कुहांदे |

24. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ravinderjeet For This Useful Post:

DrRajpalSingh (September 6th, 2013), prashantacmet (September 5th, 2013)