Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Sources of Indian History--revisited

A.H. Keane, Man --Past and Present, Cambridge Press, 1920.
    History is best when created, better when re-constructed and worst when invented.

D P Mishra, Studies in Proto History of India, Orient Longman, Delhi, [1971 ].
    History is best when created, better when re-constructed and worst when invented.

Mahabharata, Critical edition, Bhandarkar Oriental Research Institute, Pune, 1933 onwards.

Mahabharata, Gita Press, Gorakhpur, V.S. 2016.

Mahabharata, P.C. Roy (ed.) Calcutta, 1883 English Tr. P.C. Roy, Calcutta, 1883-96.

I don't know if Mahabharata should be given status of Indian History. It's just a over glorified/hyped novel.

Not to offend anybody's religious sentiments....may be i should say: Sacred text.

But History, no..not justified.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ssgoyat For This Useful Post:

DrRajpalSingh (August 12th, 2013), urmiladuhan (August 12th, 2013)

On top of that, it has various authors who differ from each other.

Quote Originally Posted by ssgoyat View Post
    I don't know if Mahabharata should be given status of Indian History. It's just a over glorified/hyped novel.

Not to offend anybody's religious sentiments....may be i should say: Sacred text.

9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to urmiladuhan For This Useful Post:

DrRajpalSingh (August 12th, 2013), ssgoyat (August 12th, 2013), swaich (August 12th, 2013)

Friend,

It is not history but is an ancient epic and as such it is a source of history which illuminates many a dark spots in Ancient History.

Thanks

11. The Following User Says Thank You to DrRajpalSingh For This Useful Post:

annch (August 13th, 2013)

Quote Originally Posted by urmiladuhan View Post
    On top of that, it has various authors who differ from each other.
    It would be good if you very kindly quote the names of various authors

and

also make mention, if possible, some examples of contradictions in their writings please !

13. The Following User Says Thank You to DrRajpalSingh For This Useful Post:

Dr. Rajpal, I am not inclined to do what you are asking me to do. However, it is common knowledge that Indian epics have various authors. You are a historian - you are expected to know this, i suppose. Or else, you can look it up yourself.

Regards,

Urmila.

Quote Originally Posted by DrRajpalSingh View Post
    It would be good if you very kindly quote the names of various authors

and

also make mention, if possible, some examples of contradictions in their writings please !

15. The Following User Says Thank You to urmiladuhan For This Useful Post:

ssgoyat (August 12th, 2013)

Thumbs up

Friend,

It is not history but is an ancient epic and as such it is a source of history which illuminates many a dark spots in Ancient History.

Thanks
    Rajpalji,

It would be good if you very kindly educate us how this overly hyped novel happens to be a source of history.

and

also make mention, if possible, some examples of dark spots in Ancient history and how Mahabharatha (by author X or Y or Z) illuminates these dark spots.

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ssgoyat For This Useful Post:

DrRajpalSingh (August 12th, 2013), urmiladuhan (August 12th, 2013)

Rajpalji,

It would be good if you very kindly educate us how this overly hyped novel happens to be a source of history.

and

also make mention, if possible, some examples of dark spots in Ancient history and how Mahabharatha (by author X or Y or Z) illuminates these dark spots.
    Friend,

To satisfy your quest for knowledge on the issue,I take the opportunity to invite your kind attention to another thread where the issue has already been discussed at length: The thread is in Jat History section:

Thread: In Quest of Chronology of Epic Mahabharata and Bharata Battle

Kindly read the posts and you will definitely gain better understanding of the Epic Mahabharata as a source of Ancient Indian History.

Thanks and regards,

19. The Following User Says Thank You to DrRajpalSingh For This Useful Post:

Dr. Rajpal, I am not inclined to do what you are asking me to do. However, it is common knowledge that Indian epics have various authors. You are a historian - you are expected to know this, i suppose. Or else, you can look it up yourself.

Regards,

Urmila.
    Ms. Urmila Duhan,

It is up to you to share your readings with us or not !

Whatever little knowledge I have been able to gather on the topic you can see for yourself by visiting Jat History section:

Thanks and regards

Dr. Rajpal, I would share if I am inclined to read what you are ordering me to read. You are un-necessarily accusing me of not sharing when you don't even know if I have read them in the first place! If this is the level of focus, no wonder miscommunications are happening.

Regards,

Urmila.

QUOTE=DrRajpalSingh;344099]Ms. Urmila Duhan,

Whatever little knowledge I have been able to gather on the topic you can see for yourself by visiting Jat History section:

Thanks and regards[/QUOTE]

Dr. Rajpal, I would share if I am inclined to read what you are ordering me to read. You are un-necessarily accusing me of not sharing when you don't even know if I have read them in the first place! If this is the level of focus, no wonder miscommunications are happening.

Regards,

Urmila.

QUOTE=DrRajpalSingh;344099]Ms. Urmila Duhan,

Thanks and regards
    [/QUOTE]

Please read the post under reference again, there is nothing of the sort of 'order' but a polite submission for your kind consideration.

I am always ready for discussion of various issues but the discussion, you will appreciate, progresses by inputs from various participants. The issues which have already been discussed may be left out which can only be done by reading the already submitted posts; and, then, newer questions/issues may be taken up for discussion, if you so desire.

Thanks.

Dr. Rajpal, the lengthy history posts are boring to go through at least for me. Perhaps you can summarise the relevant portion (the emphasis is on the word relevant) from your other posts here for discussion.

QUOTE=DrRajpalSingh;344118][/QUOTE]

Please read the post under reference again, there is nothing of the sort of 'order' but a polite submission for your kind consideration.

I am always ready for discussion of various issues but the discussion, you will appreciate, progresses by inputs from various participants. The issues which have already been discussed may be left out which can only be done by reading the already submitted posts; and, then, newer questions/issues may be taken up for discussion, if you so desire.

Thanks.[/QUOTE]

Your strategy of convincing is quite crooked, mean and deceptive . That is my take on your history posts.

QUOTE=DrRajpalSingh;344118][/QUOTE]

Thanks.[/QUOTE]

25. The Following User Says Thank You to urmiladuhan For This Useful Post:

ssgoyat (August 13th, 2013)

Thumbs up

Rajpalji,

and

Rajpalji,

After reading your reply post. I must say: specifics with 'Bullet points'.

That'll save time & energy.

Not everybody is fond of diving into heaps of pages, and that too for a fictional novel/story. Especially when any resemblance to real persons (living or dead), and/or place is purely coincidental.

27. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ssgoyat For This Useful Post:

DrRajpalSingh (August 13th, 2013), urmiladuhan (August 13th, 2013)

Rajpalji,

After reading your reply post. I must say: specifics with 'Bullet points'.

That'll save time & energy.

Not everybody is fond of diving into heaps of pages, and that too for a fictional novel/story. Especially when any resemblance to real persons (living or dead), and/or place is purely coincidental.
    Friend,

Not everything mentioned in epic Mahabharata is historical. You know that this epic is a very lengthy narrative of many a events and contains in addition to main narrative of the Battle between Kauravas and Pandavas, several sub plots.

Historians have collected evidences from it since long and have accepted only those evidences which have been corroborated by other sources like archaeology. Hence to reject it as totally useless source is as wrong as to believe it to be totally dependable source. While using its evidences one has to be patient and cautious.

You have rightly said that ''not everybody is fond of diving into heaps of pages'' which leads to development of misconception about the use of bulky sized ancient traditional literature like Vedic literature, Puranas, Epics and so on.

Thanks and best wishes,

29. The Following User Says Thank You to DrRajpalSingh For This Useful Post:

vdhillon (October 27th, 2013)

Use of Indian epics as historical source is subjective then, it seems.

Friend,

Not everything mentioned in epic Mahabharata is historical. You know that this epic is a very lengthy narrative of many a events and contains in addition to main narrative of the Battle between Kauravas and Pandavas, several sub plots.

Historians have collected evidences from it since long and have accepted only those evidences which have been corroborated by other sources like archaeology. Hence to reject it as totally useless source is as wrong as to believe it to be totally dependable source. While using its evidences one has to be patient and cautious.

You have rightly said that ''not everybody is fond of diving into heaps of pages'' which leads to development of misconception about the use of bulky sized ancient traditional literature like Vedic literature, Puranas, Epics and so on.

Thanks and best wishes,

31. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to urmiladuhan For This Useful Post:

ssgoyat (August 14th, 2013), vdhillon (October 27th, 2013)