Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Thread: Jat - Identity and Social Status

Quote Originally Posted by DrRajpalSingh View Post
    Zeal of the participants to arrive at some convincing theory and that too at the earliest is appreciable. But the attempt seems to be misdirected to demolish others views without pin pointing the timeline when the identity of Jats as a caste/community/people was evolved and established.

Could anyone point out the exact period/timeline when the word Jat or its some variant first appeared in any language to denote identity of the people currently known as Jats/Jutts/Jaats and so on ?

Till this identity is not decided, we are moving in a circle and reach after a period of time there from where we started. Very funny exercise to discuss the issue without bothering to find out the first identity in timeline and indulging in formulating and demolishing various theories without putting in the timeline tested identity of the term Jat.
    Shiva is as important as Brahma....

Without demolition How can there be reconstructions...???

Regarding first use of Jat word question....

It is quite obvious who so ever knew it would like to share such an important research via his own book.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to narenderkharb For This Useful Post:

DrRajpalSingh (April 17th, 2015)

Quote Originally Posted by narenderkharb View Post
    Ghakkars themselves were treated as Jats earlier both by oral traditions and records of Britishers. Similarly Balochs have Jat ancesstry in the past.
    is it true that few decades back, all agricultural tribes in punjab and sorrounding area were called as Jats..if yes then jat is a ouucpational identity

Pasthuns is a geographic Identity that have a lot of Jat clans ,Dudi,Gills ,kakkar Parni etc who were treated Jats in earlier times.
    As per latest research pashtuns have jewish ancestory..they are a caucasian race .

http://www.theguardian.com/world/201...tribes-pashtun

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Theory_...rom_Israelites

jat are mixed people like all other north indian people, white ->brown->black....though I see khatri/arora distinct..most of them are fair...few jat clan name also matches with khatri/arora..how do you see that?

In afghanistan, even today "jat" word is used in derogatory term for low occupational people

Kambojas are inhabitants of Kamboja country like Punjabi and Haryanvi .Jats had connection with Yadavs in remote past ,which you can read in my book ,only if I can get it published one day.
    Kamboja and gujjar are geograhical identity..so how do you say jat as a racial identity not geographical idenity?.....so rajputs, gujjars are offshoots of jats..how about yadavs and other farming caste ..how do you distinguish them from jats and their offshoots?... I don't see any big difference in physical appearnce of north indian agricultural tribes...

and what about brahmin..who are they? ..if they were central asian, they are also offshoots of jats?

do you mean that all people of entire cental asia were called "jats" sometimes in past?
    Last edited by prashantacmet; April 17th, 2015 at 06:40 PM.
    Become more and more innocent, less knowledgeable and more childlike. Take life as fun - because that's precisely what it is!

We thank Dr. Rana, you and all the participants but we fail to understand where are we heading to by demolishing this theory or that theory without providing alternate reconstruction of Jat Identity over the years.

Could anyone point out the exact period/timeline when the word Jat or its some variant first appeared in any language to denote identity of the people currently known as Jats/Jutts/Jaats and so on ?

Till this time line of identity is not decided, we will keep moving in a circle and reach after a period of time there from where we started.
    I get the sense that some friends are finding me irritating. If a put forth a view at variance with the

prevailing one it is called demolition. I would find it quite honest if some friend rejects my view. I would take

it as normal. But if even most eminent person deride it by calling it a Gospel.

I am not here to win any laurels. If some one puts forward a view with supporting evidence it is unfair to call

it 'indulging in discussion. I have been trained in the belief 'vade vade jayate tattvabodhah'

Any way, friends fin d my view blasphemous, since I express views at variance with established or respected

persons who wrote or are writing on the ,Jat' please tell me honestly. I would not post my views here. But I

would be said.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to drssrana2003 For This Useful Post:

DrRajpalSingh (April 18th, 2015)

I feel this theory is absolutely false as it betrays all historical and scientific evidences.

Theory is based on these pillars ..

1 There was no existence of this word in Indian vocabulary before Arabs who used this in derogatory sense for people engaged in lower jobs.
    I think Arabs knew jats even before they invaded sindh..at the time of prophet jats exists in Central asia.. I still not sure if they had any connection with jats east of sindh. belwo are the evidences. jat was a doctor , jat was a soldier...doe snot seem like low occupation...so if arab were aware about jats why they would have used it in derogatory term....but after sind invasion, it shows a east->west migration

According to a 'Hadis', Hazrat Abdulla Bin Masood, a companion Prophet saw some strangers with the Prophet and said that their features and physique were like those of Jats.11 This means that Jats we in Arabia even during the Prophet's time. Hazrat Imam Bukhari (d. 875 A.D. - 256 A.H.) writing about the period of the Companions in his book "Al adab al Mufarrad" has stated that once when Hazrat Aisha (Prophet's wife) fell ill, her nephews brought a Jat doctor for her treatment. We hear of them next when the Arab armies clashed with the Persian forces which comprised of Jat soldiers as well. The Persian Command Hurmuz used Jat soldiers against Khalid Bin Walid in the battle of 'salasal' of 634 A.D. (12 hijri). This vvas the first time that Jats were captured by the Arabs. ...12 This event proves that the first group of Pakistanis to accept Islam were Jats who did it as early as 12 hijri (634 A.D.) in the time of Hazrat Omar.

According to Tibri, Hazrat Ali had employed Jats to guard Basra treasury during the battle of Jamal. "Jats were the guards of the Baitul Maal at al-Basra during the time of Hazrat Osman and Hazrat Ali."13 Amir Muawiya had settled them on the Syrian border to fight against the Romans. It is said that 4,000 Jats of Sind joined Mohammad Bin Qasim's army and fought against Raja Dahir. Sindhi Jats henceforth began to be regularly recruited in the Muslim armies.

"Some of the Zutt deserters from the Persian army were transplanted in 670 A.D. by Caliph Muawiya from Basrah to Antioch. When the Arabs conquered Sind, another batch of Zutts whom the conquerors had uprooted from their native pastures seem to have been sent to Syria by Hajjaj (691-713 A.D.) and eventually sent on by the Caliph Walid 1(707-15 AD) to join the previous batch of Zutt deportees at Antioch whence some, again, were sent on by the Caliph Yazid II (720-24 A.D.) to Massisah in Cicilia�. But the bulk of Hajjaj's deportees from Sind seem to have been settled in Iraq. In the reign of Abbasid Caliph Mansur (813-33 A.D.) they broke into a rebellion which it took him and his successor Mutasim 833-42 AD), the best part of 20 years to quell�.. Whether there had or had not been a voluntary immigration as well as a compulsory deportation of Zutt to Iraq from Sind, we may take it that in the course of the first two centuries of Arab rule, manpower from western subcontinent (i.e., Pakistan) had it in one way or another been pouring into a south-western Asia that, on the eve of the Arab conquest, had been depopulated by the two last and most devastating of the Romano-Persian wars."14
    Last edited by prashantacmet; April 17th, 2015 at 06:54 PM.
    Become more and more innocent, less knowledgeable and more childlike. Take life as fun - because that's precisely what it is!

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to prashantacmet For This Useful Post:

DrRajpalSingh (April 18th, 2015), narenderkharb (April 18th, 2015)

Quote Originally Posted by drssrana2003 View Post
    I get the sense that some friends are finding me irritating. If a put forth a view at variance with the

prevailing one it is called demolition. I would find it quite honest if some friend rejects my view. I would take

I am not here to win any laurels. If some one puts forward a view with supporting evidence it is unfair to call

it 'indulging in discussion. I have been trained in the belief 'vade vade jayate tattvabodhah'

Any way, friends fin d my view blasphemous, since I express views at variance with established or respected

persons who wrote or are writing on the ,Jat' please tell me honestly. I would not post my views here. But I

would be said.
    I think no-one has any objection with your views..please keep pouring....

9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to prashantacmet For This Useful Post:

DrRajpalSingh (April 18th, 2015), narenderkharb (April 18th, 2015), NikhilNehra (April 20th, 2015)

would be said.
    Sir we all are interested in reconstruction of our true history.

Since being a worthy and intellectual scholar you proposed a theory about Jat identity ,We wish to analyse it by checking various historical and scientific evidences.You must support it by putting your views in favor of your arguments .I hope you will take our analysis in right perspective.

Putting aside the references given by Prashant from islamic sources.Arabs are very clear in their narrations that Jats are a distinct group that had existence even before Arab's arrival.

They mention Jats and Meds living on two sides of river Sindh . They don't present one group superior or other inferior .Had the tem Jat meant some derogatory sense what was the need of using two words Jat and Med for same social strata people
    Secondly Arabs had very short stay and could never move beyond Multan then how can this use of derogatory word spread to as far as Mathura

Arabs call Jats as descendants Of one of the son of Nuh and Indian Jats as descendant of Harun al Makrani ...This clearly shows that they treated Jats as a Racial group born out of one father not some term used in derogatory sense.

Arabian travellers mention entire route from Mansura to Makran was in the possession of Jats that spreads between two countries of India and Iran that shows Jats were in commanding position in those areas .

So while Arabs say that they are a racial group born out of one father how could you derive result that term JAT was given to us by Aabs in a derogatory sense while they mention that these people were present along with Meds when we reached on this soil.As you mentioned word Jat is present in Arabic language which seems derogatory so we might have got it from there .On a reverse logic there is Arab word present in hindco Can we say that Arabs got their identity from Indians when they reached Indian soils ??

Secondly Vedic people were very much present in Central Asia .If we read Purana Kuru ancestors were present in Bahika .Turkmenistan and Tajakistan are very well aware of their Aryan lineage .People have constantly moved from central asia to India as Saka kushana huna Yeuhzhi etc etc than how can you say that people across Sindh were entirely different from those on Indian side.

Again there are undeniable scientific studies that shows people of Bacteria Margiana complex Xinjiang and Sindh areas have close haplogroups clustering in ancient past then How can you say these people were seprated by Turko Irano and Indian bloods ?

Let us start from here.....
    Last edited by narenderkharb; April 17th, 2015 at 08:20 PM.

11. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to narenderkharb For This Useful Post:

DrRajpalSingh (April 18th, 2015), NikhilNehra (April 20th, 2015), prashantacmet (April 20th, 2015)

Quote Originally Posted by prashantacmet View Post
    is it true that few decades back, all agricultural tribes in punjab and sorrounding area were called as Jats..if yes then jat is a ouucpational identity
    No, it is not true

As per latest research pashtuns have jewish ancestory..they are a caucasian race .

http://www.theguardian.com/world/201...tribes-pashtun

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Theory_...rom_Israelites

As I mentioned Pasthun is a geograhic identity all pasthuns are not racialy similar.Jewish ancestry was ascribed for afridis but majority of them have Jat ancesstry and word Caucasian is used for Jatic races only. .let me go through the link and reply later on.

Jat are mixed people like all other north indian people, white ->brown->black....though I see khatri/arora distinct..most of them are fair...few jat clan name also matches with khatri/arora..how do you see that?
    Jat as I mentioned is a motherly paternal race ,born out of one father There were older Jats ...Then came Jats after centuries with mutations preserved over different geographic locations mixed with women of different races and the process continued over the centuries...

Some clans of Arora and Khatri match with Jats because these Indo Yavana left their orignal identity.There were two major centers of Indo Greeks habitation earlier one in Sindh Al Aror and other in Bakhter where natives from Alror were called Aroras from Bakhter as bakhatris ...B ...sound was dropped over the years for a more attractive Khatri .A khatri Jat signify his earlier inhabitance in bakhter areas .

In afghanistan, even today "jat" word is used in derogatory term for low occupational people.
    Jats(with soft t) of Afghanistan with dark and tan complexion are racially different from Jats of Indian soils mostly Dum and gypsy type people who were taken by Behramgour of Persia for entertainment .They might have identified with dominant Indian section to uplift their social standing You will see many Sc St cast people in NCR projecting themselves as belonging to Brahmin or higher casts.One of our neighbour used to invite my Mali(morya of UP) on poojas since he called himself tiwari.Since Pastun was equally honorable identity some might have left earlier identity as Jats left use of Verma a word used for Kashtriyas when Sunar and Kumhar started using it.

Kamboja and gujjar are geograhical identity..so how do you say jat as a racial identity not geographical idenity?.....so rajputs, gujjars are offshoots of jats..how about yadavs and other farming caste ..how do you distinguish them from jats and their offshoots?... I don't see any big difference in physical appearnce of north indian agricultural tribes...
    I don't say all Kamboja and Gurjjars are of Jat descent as I repeat these are geographic identities and a Kamboja like a Punjabi can be a Jat or Brahman or Bania .About Yadavs as I mentioned earlier ,will explain in my book. Don't force me to spill all my beans so early.

and what about brahmin..who are they? ..if they were central asian, they are also offshoots of jats?
    Brahmins are our blood brothers.

do you mean that all people of entire cental asia were called "jats" sometimes in past?

No
    But they were most dominant and numerous people in this area .Entire earlier history of this area was dominated by Jetae and Massgetae and other scythians as described by various historian .
    Last edited by narenderkharb; April 17th, 2015 at 09:44 PM.

13. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to narenderkharb For This Useful Post:

AryanPoonia (April 18th, 2015), DrRajpalSingh (April 18th, 2015), NikhilNehra (April 20th, 2015), prashantacmet (April 20th, 2015)

would be said.
    If any word inadvertently used in the discussion has caused irritation to you, that is regretted.

The words demolition and reconstruction have been used to understand the process of discussion on our history in progress on the site; and is not exclusively targeted against anyone, therefore, kindly continue to contribute in your own way what you have to share for or against any historical formulation/theory on the identity of the Jats.
    Honestly we respect you as a senior scholar and we will be sadder if you leave us in a lurch.
    History is best when created, better when re-constructed and worst when invented.

15. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to DrRajpalSingh For This Useful Post:

narenderkharb (April 18th, 2015), NikhilNehra (April 20th, 2015), prashantacmet (April 20th, 2015)

Shiva is as important as Brahma....

Without demolition How can there be reconstructions...???

Regarding first use of Jat word question....

It is quite obvious who so ever knew it would like to share such an important research via his own book.
    Hum intazar karenge kee kayamaat ho,

aur woh [book] aye.
    History is best when created, better when re-constructed and worst when invented.

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DrRajpalSingh For This Useful Post:

narenderkharb (April 18th, 2015), prashantacmet (April 20th, 2015)

Hum intazar karenge kee kayamaat ho,

aur woh [book] aye.
    Insha Allah.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to narenderkharb For This Useful Post:

DrRajpalSingh (April 19th, 2015)

Surely! But without hastening inventing history, I believe, to borrow a friends motto.

21. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to drssrana2003 For This Useful Post:

DrRajpalSingh (April 18th, 2015), NikhilNehra (April 20th, 2015)

Surely! But without hastening inventing history, I believe, to borrow a friends motto.
    Agree as any Invention or formulation in History can't stand close scrutiny by other scholars.

23. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to narenderkharb For This Useful Post:

DrRajpalSingh (April 19th, 2015), NikhilNehra (April 20th, 2015)

Kharb ji, thanks for the reply. Regarding "spill the beans" it's your property, do what you want!

As I mentioned Pasthun is a geograhic identity all pasthuns are not racialy similar.Jewish ancestry was ascribed for afridis but majority of them have Jat ancesstry and word Caucasian is used for Jatic races only. .let me go through the link and reply later on.
    Do you means jats are more racilly similar? Keep aside the Indian pathan (most of them are brown like other indians), 90% of pashtun of pak and afghanistan are white with fine nose. They are very much racillay equal than Jats of India....white ->brown->black...(most of jats are brown)... distict facial features , distinct height....move from amritsar ->rohtak->mathura->sikar->jodhpur..you will see all sort of Jats.. and as you move to east..this darkness of skin increases gradually.....I don't underatndy what do you mean by racial equality of Jats....children of one father?

"jatic races" means "getic race"?

Caucassian truelly means for a geographical area regardless of skine tone..but it's widely used for whites now a days

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Caucasian_race

Jat as I mentioned is a motherly paternal race ,born out of one father There were older Jats ...Then came Jats after centuries with mutations preserved over different geographic locations mixed with women of different races and the process continued over the centuries...
    what is the time line of earlier or later jats?....By the same logic, world was also started by Adam..all are one....... looks like you went million years in the past

Some clans of Arora and Khatri match with Jats because these Indo Yavana left their orignal identity.There were two major centers of Indo Greeks habitation earlier one in Sindh Al Aror and other in Bakhter where natives from Alror were called Aroras from Bakhter as bakhatris ...B ...sound was dropped over the years for a more attractive Khatri .A khatri Jat signify his earlier inhabitance in bakhter areas .
    Fully agree with your narration of khatri.arora but I fail to understand .... how the race can be changed?.. If I understand "rajput" as a caste/title, any king from any race was "rajput"..so how some khatri/arora can change their race and become another race "jats"...same question again...."jat" word was used for farmers cum warriors people and anyone could join them?

Jats(with soft t) of Afghanistan with dark and tan complexion are racially different from Jats of Indian soils mostly Dum and gypsy type people who were taken by Behramgour of Persia for entertainment .They might have identified with dominant Indian section to uplift their social standing You will see many Sc St cast people in NCR projecting themselves as belonging to Brahmin or higher casts.One of our neighbour used to invite my Mali(morya of UP) on poojas since he called himself tiwari.Since Pastun was equally honorable identity some might have left earlier identity as Jats left use of Verma a word used for Kashtriyas when Sunar and Kumhar started using it.
    ..........may be possible

I don't say all Kamboja and Gurjjars are of Jat descent as I repeat these are geographic identities and a Kamboja like a Punjabi can be a Jat or Brahman or Bania .About Yadavs as I mentioned earlier ,will explain in my book. Don't force me to spill all my beans so early.
    as you wish kharb ji..

Brahmins are our blood brothers.
    yeh khatarnaak hai................
    Hawa singh sangwan ji and Samar kadian bhai will not be happy for this...kolli bharni padegi "bhai-bhai " kahke eibb

No
    But they were most dominant and numerous people in this area .Entire earlier history of this area was dominated by Jetae and Massgetae and other scythians as described by various historian .
    So earlier jats were called aryans(linguistic based along with brahmins) and later were scythians( racial based)...by the way, who is the superset...aryans or scythians...?

Sir we all are interested in reconstruction of our true history.

Since being a worthy and intellectual scholar you proposed a theory about Jat identity ,We wish to analyse it by checking various historical and scientific evidences.You must support it by putting your views in favor of your arguments .I hope you will take our analysis in right perspective.

Putting aside the references given by Prashant from islamic sources.Arabs are very clear in their narrations that Jats are a distinct group that had existence even before Arab's arrival.

They mention Jats and Meds living on two sides of river Sindh . They don't present one group superior or other inferior .Had the tem Jat meant some derogatory sense what was the need of using two words Jat and Med for same social strata people
    Secondly Arabs had very short stay and could never move beyond Multan then how can this use of derogatory word spread to as far as Mathura

Arabs call Jats as descendants Of one of the son of Nuh and Indian Jats as descendant of Harun al Makrani ...This clearly shows that they treated Jats as a Racial group born out of one father not some term used in derogatory sense.

Arabian travellers mention entire route from Mansura to Makran was in the possession of Jats that spreads between two countries of India and Iran that shows Jats were in commanding position in those areas .

So while Arabs say that they are a racial group born out of one father how could you derive result that term JAT was given to us by Aabs in a derogatory sense while they mention that these people were present along with Meds when we reached on this soil.As you mentioned word Jat is present in Arabic language which seems derogatory so we might have got it from there .On a reverse logic there is Arab word present in hindco Can we say that Arabs got their identity from Indians when they reached Indian soils ??

Secondly Vedic people were very much present in Central Asia .If we read Purana Kuru ancestors were present in Bahika .Turkmenistan and Tajakistan are very well aware of their Aryan lineage .People have constantly moved from central asia to India as Saka kushana huna Yeuhzhi etc etc than how can you say that people across Sindh were entirely different from those on Indian side.

Again there are undeniable scientific studies that shows people of Bacteria Margiana complex Xinjiang and Sindh areas have close haplogroups clustering in ancient past then How can you say these people were seprated by Turko Irano and Indian bloods ?

Let us start from here.....
    Very good questions raised kharb ji......

26. The Following User Says Thank You to prashantacmet For This Useful Post:

DrRajpalSingh (April 21st, 2015)

Quote Originally Posted by prashantacmet View Post
    Do you means jats are more racilly similar? Keep aside the Indian pathan (most of them are brown like other indians), 90% of pashtun of pak and afghanistan are white with fine nose. They are very much racillay equal than Jats of India....white ->brown->black...(most of jats are )... distict facial features , distinct height....move from amritsar ->rohtak->mathura->sikar->jodhpur..you will see all sort of Jats.. and as you move to east..this darkness of skin increases gradually.....I don't underatndy what do you mean by racial equality of Jats....children of one father?
    I have always used term Mother paternal race which means ...an Ancient group from one Father .....descendants moved to different areas married different women since as per the rule of Darwin there were geographic isolations (people of Xinjiang were seprated from people belochistan or Sindh by Mountains and deserts,Sindh was seprated from Elam by a large killing desert etc)mutation that occured were preserved in isolated populations .How ever there were reshuffling of genetic populations at different times like when Yehzhi entered tokaristan and bacteria area or Saka moved south and east ....This resulted in remixing of different Jats ...So it is a huge variations yet All Jats are descendants of one Jat father.

"jatic races" means "getic race"?
    Yes

]Caucassian truelly means for a geographical area regardless of skine tone..but it's widely used for whites now a days

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Caucasian_race
    Just move back in time and see entire area
    was the homeland of Jetae and Messagetae people.

what is the time line of earlier or later jats?....By the same logic, world was also started by Adam..all are one....... looks like you went million years in the past
    There had been waves ...not so long.

Fully agree with your narration of khatri.arora but I fail to understand .... how the race can be changed?.. If I understand "rajput" as a caste/title, any king from any race was "rajput"..so how some khatri/arora can change their race and become another race "jats"...same question again...."jat" word was used for farmers cum warriors people and anyone could join them?

May be I failed to clearly explain myself.Your question was about similar clan name between arora/khatri and Jats....A similar clan name was Khatri both among Jats and Khatris ..

My contention was Indo Greek people left their earlier IndoGreek Identity and one group of them adopted a geographical identity of Bkhatri that shortened to Khatri.So Khatri identity showed their earlier inhabitance in bacter area.You still will find Bacter clan in khatris. These Bacterian /bkhatris were uprooted by Yehzhi Jats who earlier unsetttled Greek empire after Alexander and settled in Bakhter .Some of these Jats same way were known Bkhatri showing earlier inhabitation ,that changed to khatri .So Khatri basically is a Geographic identity and a Khatri Punjabi and Khatri Jats just meant that earlier they lived in bacteria or Bakhter..... though both are racially different.My findings are that it was not possible to change your racial identity as I don't find examples supporting that .

yeh khatarnaak hai................
    Hawa singh sangwan ji and Samar kadian bhai will not be happy for this...kolli bharni padegi "bhai-bhai " kahke eibb
    Yeh Baat to Main dono ko personaly battta chuka hun.

So earlier jats were called aryans(linguistic based along with brahmins) and later were scythians( racial based)...by the way, who is the superset...aryans or scythians...?
    I answered same question posed by you on this very site four or five year back.
    Last edited by narenderkharb; April 20th, 2015 at 10:40 PM.

28. The Following User Says Thank You to narenderkharb For This Useful Post:

DrRajpalSingh (April 21st, 2015)

Narenadra Ji,

My take on the text text in 'Manjushri-moolakalpa'-

'The text was : 'jaata (soft 't')-vanshaadhya'

It is a case of two-layer compound expression meaning- one who has emerged as most endowed in the family i.e. the best in his family.

1.Let us first take 'vashaadhya. vanshe (in the family) aadhya (most endowed)-It is karmadhaarya samaasa.

2. The second layer compound is : Jaatah Vanshaadya yah.he, who has emerged/become (jaatah )most endowed/best (vin this family(

(vanshaadhya ). So have hardly any justification in trying to locat the term 'jat' as we know it and use in the sense of a caste. In fact we

find it (with soft 'T' )occurring in Sanskrit wrings with a unbelievable frequency.

30. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to drssrana2003 For This Useful Post:

DrRajpalSingh (April 21st, 2015), narenderkharb (April 21st, 2015)

Friends,

Your valuable contribution on the etymology and identity of the word 'Jat' is appreciable and in view of its significance in understanding the roots of the Jat, it has been suggested by a number of participants to shift the relevant posts to the thread : http://www.jatland.com/forums/showth...ough-the-Ages; so that future reference to them becomes easier.

May we shift some of the posts throwing light on this aspect of history of Jats to the suggested thread or not ?

How did the word 'JAT' originate?

Kindly quote sources to substantiate your views/comments.
    Also read relevant posts in the thread :

http://www.jatland.com/forums/showth...419#post378419

Famous Gupta dynasty founded in 320 AD is identified by K P Jayaswal as Karaskar Jats of Dharan Gotra.

But in his book Dr. Viyogi is reported to have said that :

" The Karaskars are a low community, to whom Brahmins should not go. They thus are Sudra. It is proved. The Karaskar are part of the Punjab Madra, who have sub communities Vahikas and Jartikas. The Jartas defeated the Huns, under Skanda Gupta. Hence Guptas were Jarta or Jat, and Yashodharman of Mandsaur forced the Huns to submit, so he is Jarta too. " For earlier details of inconclusive discussion log
    http://groups.yahoo.com/group/JatHistory/message/1027

Comments of the participant are invited to further elucidate and clarify the issue.
    Last edited by DrRajpalSingh; April 22nd, 2015 at 04:17 PM.

Narenadra Ji,

My take on the text text in 'Manjushri-moolakalpa'-

'The text was : 'jaata (soft 't')-vanshaadhya'

It is a case of two-layer compound expression meaning- one who has emerged as most endowed in the family i.e. the best in his family.

1.Let us first take 'vashaadhya. vanshe (in the family) aadhya (most endowed)-It is karmadhaarya samaasa.

2. The second layer compound is : Jaatah Vanshaadya yah.he, who has emerged/become (jaatah )most endowed/best (vin this family(

(vanshaadhya ). So have hardly any justification in trying to locat the term 'jat' as we know it and use in the sense of a caste. In fact we

find it (with soft 'T' )occurring in Sanskrit wrings with a unbelievable frequency.

Rana Saheb

It seems you have rightly explained Vanshaadhaya as Sandhisamaasa of Vansh and Aadhya

Here I want a litttle clarification....

Whether Aadhya(endower/Posser) word used in AMSMK can only used in money matters as in dhannadhya धनाढय or it can be used in other qualities/virtues also like gunn meaning virtue as gunnadhya गुनाढय etc ?

Further.. What is the natutre of words Jaat and Aadhya used in AMSMK ....Are they verb ,noun ,adjective or adverb..???
    Last edited by narenderkharb; April 23rd, 2015 at 11:03 AM.