Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: History Photos.

History Photos.

A replica of Ashokan Rock Edict (National Museum, New Delhi). I think to use naturally occuring rock structures in villages, cities, for communicating with people was a very economically smart idea of Ashoka. And aesthetically (and artistically) pleasing as well. Plus, rocks are one of the most durable writing media (the writings survived all weather conditions for 2500 years and still going strong!). Attached is a photo of rock edict (replica) for your visual pleasure

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	rock edict.jpg 
Views:	294 
Size:	99.3 KB 
ID:	16748
    Last edited by urmiladuhan; August 9th, 2013 at 06:52 AM. Reason: Grammatical.

2. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to urmiladuhan For This Useful Post:

Bahadursaroha (October 30th, 2013), lrburdak (August 12th, 2013), rajpaldular (October 2nd, 2013), SumitJattan (August 9th, 2013), vdhillon (October 24th, 2013), vicky84 (August 9th, 2013)

Super Welcome Back Urmila Ji .

Regards,

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rekhasmriti For This Useful Post:

urmiladuhan (August 9th, 2013), vicky84 (August 9th, 2013)

I have noticed that until 12 th century C.E, the custom of applying 'bindi' on forehead by married hindu women or otherwise was (say) non existent. It is only after 12th century C.E or so that we see bindi on some sculptures (of women). Attached is an 11th century Shiv-Parvati sculpture from Chattisgarh area, where as you can see, there is no 'bindi' on parvati's forehead. This is just one example that I have shown. There are many others. Before 12th century, as afterwards too, we see forehead ornament on women sculptures (called 'borla' in hindi) or else a third eye on Parvati.

Name:	bindi 1.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	100.3 KB 
ID:	16749

6. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to urmiladuhan For This Useful Post:

gsolanki9063 (August 9th, 2013), lrburdak (August 12th, 2013), rajpaldular (October 2nd, 2013), swaich (August 9th, 2013), vdhillon (October 24th, 2013)

Indus Valley Civilization/Harappa Civilization in Photos.

Pottery Designs (2500 B.C.E). Click image for larger version. 

Name:	harappa 1.jpg 
Views:	315 
Size:	98.3 KB 
ID:	16788

Name:	harappa 2.jpg 
Views:	246 
Size:	105.0 KB 
ID:	16789

Beautiful Pottery designs show high level of artistic and aesthetic sense.

Name:	harappa 4.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	101.7 KB 
ID:	16790

Name:	harappa 5.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	102.7 KB 
ID:	16791

They look like some board game pieces-
    (2500 B.C.E)

Name:	chess pieces.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	122.5 KB 
ID:	16792

This is a bronze figurine of a girl (famously called the dancing girl) and a dog. The dancing girl figure has been made using 'lost wax' method (a wax model is made first and clay is applied on it and dried. Now a hole is made at the bottom of the clay mould and the whole thing is baked so that the melted wax passes out. Now the empty space in the clay mould is filled with molten metak and allowed to cool. Once cooled, the clay part is removed and what we get is a metal statue)

Name:	dancing girl.jpg 
Size:	110.9 KB 
ID:	16793

these terracotta figurines survived the same time frame and mechanical risks that the metal figurines underwent and provide us with valuable information on the society then. these smiling female figurines are beautiful depiction of women.

Name:	female figurine.jpg 
Size:	91.1 KB 
ID:	16794

Name:	female figurine 2.jpg 
Size:	92.4 KB 
ID:	16795

These two photos show similarity in archietecture of buildings - one made by the Mughals (Red Fort, New Delhi, 17 th century C.E) and the other by a Hindu king (Shikar Bhurk Kund, Bundi, Rajasthan - 18th century C.E. Black and White photo). The similarity is quite noticeable in the construction of the smooth, convex shaped roofs over the building structure.

Name:	bundi.jpg 
Size:	97.2 KB 
ID:	16801

Name:	red fort.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	98.3 KB 
ID:	16802

13. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to urmiladuhan For This Useful Post:

DrRajpalSingh (August 21st, 2013), lrburdak (October 5th, 2013), rajpaldular (October 2nd, 2013), SumitJattan (August 21st, 2013), vdhillon (October 24th, 2013)

The concept of lifting heavy/big objects has been celebrated in Indian art history. Here are 2 photographs showing stone images of people lifting weighty objects - one is a big garland (Ikshvaku, 3-4th century C.E) and the second one shows a big stone like object on the shoulders of working men or perhaps yakshas (Raipur Museum). The Yaksha like people look really happy doing hard labor. As they say, work is worship!

Name:	garland bearer.jpg 
Size:	98.5 KB 
ID:	16870

Name:	weight bearer.jpg 
Size:	104.9 KB 
ID:	16871
    Attention seekers and attention getters are two different class of people.

15. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to urmiladuhan For This Useful Post:

DrRajpalSingh (October 2nd, 2013), lrburdak (October 5th, 2013), rajpaldular (October 2nd, 2013)

Quote Originally Posted by urmiladuhan View Post
    A replica of Ashokan Rock Edict (National Museum, New Delhi). I think to use naturally occuring rock structures in villages, cities, for communicating with people was a very economically smart idea of Ashoka. And aesthetically (and artistically) pleasing as well. Plus, rocks are one of the most durable writing media (the writings survived all weather conditions for 2500 years and still going strong!). Attached is a photo of rock edict (replica) for your visual pleasure

Name:	rock edict.jpg 
Views:	294 
Size:	99.3 KB 
ID:	16748
    Writing and painting on rocks was very common world over. One can find such writings from almost all parts of world.

RK^2
    There are many paths leading to God, politics is certainly not one of them...

Here is a map of major Indus Valley Civilization sites. This map is displayed in National Museum, New Delhi. As per this map, Indus Valley Civilization cities have been found as far away as Afghanistan.

Name:	ivc.jpg 
Size:	96.7 KB 
ID:	16930

18. The Following User Says Thank You to urmiladuhan For This Useful Post:

vijay (November 14th, 2015)

Just wondering, how far back the evidence of "Bolra" exists in the sculptures and (rock or otherwise) paintings?

@Urmila: Wonderful thread, enlightening. Thanks for the "unique" contributions. Cheers!

I have noticed that until 12 th century C.E, the custom of applying 'bindi' on forehead by married hindu women or otherwise was (say) non existent. It is only after 12th century C.E or so that we see bindi on some sculptures (of women). Attached is an 11th century Shiv-Parvati sculpture from Chattisgarh area, where as you can see, there is no 'bindi' on parvati's forehead. This is just one example that I have shown. There are many others. Before 12th century, as afterwards too, we see forehead ornament on women sculptures (called 'borla' in hindi) or else a third eye on Parvati.

Name:	bindi 1.jpg 
Size:	100.3 KB 
ID:	16749

20. The Following User Says Thank You to vdhillon For This Useful Post:

urmiladuhan (October 25th, 2013)

Important to note that the most IVC sites are clustered around the now-lost Sarasvati river, depicted as dotted line across arid Rajasthan and marshes of Gujrat. Thus, the argument for renaming the IVC to SRC (Sarasvati Rivery Culture) or to even VC (Vedic Culture). More recent maps on google exist that depict the most-recently identified sites as well. Some sites as far up the foothills of Himalayas in Uttrakhand and J&K, even in Balochistan and Afghanistan, though highest concentration of sites is in fertile Sarasvati river embankment and catchment area across Haryana, Rajasthan and Gujrat.

Pic in the link shows the respective position of the Indus RIver (sindhu nadi) as well as now-lost Sarasvati river (part of which is Ghagghar which still flows through Uttrakhand, Haryana and Rajasthan).

https://www.google.com.sg/search?q=s...ml%3B300%3B284

Here is a map of major Indus Valley Civilization sites. This map is displayed in National Museum, New Delhi. As per this map, Indus Valley Civilization cities have been found as far away as Afghanistan.

Name:	ivc.jpg 
Size:	96.7 KB 
ID:	16930
    Last edited by vdhillon; October 24th, 2013 at 08:49 PM.

22. The Following User Says Thank You to vdhillon For This Useful Post:

urmiladuhan (October 31st, 2013)

Thanks for appreciating . I used to (and still am) a newbie in history affairs. But when I started visiting museums, I appreciated what I saw, especially from ancient Indian history times. Perhaps, I look at things from an unconventional perspective, as I have not been 'force fed' history concepts through conventional teaching methods.
    I have seen 'borla' in sculptures from Shunga times.

Quote Originally Posted by vdhillon View Post
    Just wondering, how far back the evidence of "Bolra" exists in the sculptures and (rock or otherwise) paintings?

@Urmila: Wonderful thread, enlightening. Thanks for the "unique" contributions. Cheers!

24. The Following User Says Thank You to urmiladuhan For This Useful Post:

vdhillon (October 25th, 2013)

Last edited by urmiladuhan; October 25th, 2013 at 12:05 PM. Reason: Double posting.

Thanks for the info again. Could you please date the Sunga time just to get an idea of the longitudinal timeline? How far back would that be? Yup, the development and change in attire by itself a field of study. I recall seeing a youtube slideshow video on that.

You are doing very well for a newbie, I had assumed you are a scholar of history teaching in a university Keep up the good work, more importantly pls keep sharing with us, very infotaining.

Thanks for appreciating . I used to (and still am) a newbie in history affairs. But when I started visiting museums, I appreciated what I saw, especially from ancient Indian history times. Perhaps, I look at things from an unconventional perspective, as I have not been 'force fed' history concepts through conventional teaching methods.
    I have seen 'borla' in sculptures from Shunga times.

27. The Following User Says Thank You to vdhillon For This Useful Post:

Shunga period sculptures in museums have been dated approx. 2 nd B.C.E to 1st C.E. (B.C.E= Before Common Era, C.E= Common Era). I have been told by A.S.I historians that C.E has replaced A.D (After Death i.e., of Christ) nomenclature in academic circles just so to remove the religious bias and thus making the nomenclature more globally acceptable.

Quote Originally Posted by vdhillon View Post
    Thanks for the info again. Could you please date the Sunga time just to get an idea of the longitudinal timeline? How far back would that be? Yup, the development and change in attire by itself a field of study. I recall seeing a youtube slideshow video on that.

You are doing very well for a newbie, I had assumed you are a scholar of history teaching in a university Keep up the good work, more importantly pls keep sharing with us, very infotaining.

29. The Following User Says Thank You to urmiladuhan For This Useful Post:

vdhillon (October 25th, 2013)

Last edited by urmiladuhan; October 25th, 2013 at 01:09 PM. Reason: Double posting.

Yup, CE and BCE purport to remove the religious bias, yet they still are not free from it as the baseline still is the Christ. Some historians use a more secular and non-religious term BP (before present), but usage of which is cumbersome as one has to mention the current date, thus its usage is usually reserved for the much longer time frame e.g Homo Sapien migrated to the Indian peninsula between 70,000 BP to 60,000 BP.

Shunga period sculptures in museums have been dated approx. 2 nd B.C.E to 1st C.E. (B.C.E= Before Common Era, C.E= Common Era). I have been told by A.S.I historians that C.E has replaced A.D (After Death i.e., of Christ) nomenclature in academic circles just so to remove the religious bias and thus making the nomenclature more globally acceptable.

32. The Following User Says Thank You to vdhillon For This Useful Post: