Thread: Why have an interest in history?

Why have an interest in history?

One reason for it I found in this interesting quote:

Today's Words to Live By: We can improve our tomorrows with a better understanding of our past.

For those of us who keep an interest in history, kindly please share your reason.

I keep an interest primarily due to the beauty it holds... Beautiful arifacts, buildings, dresses etc. Knowing history gives a peep into knowing why we do things the way we do. And that is an interesting thing to know, I think.

Regards,

Urmila.
    Attention seekers and attention getters are two different class of people.

Because many of the answers to the questions of our present and the future lay hidden in our past. And;

Those who forget to learn from their past, are condemned to repeat it.
    Pagdi Sambhal Jatta..!

3. The Following User Says Thank You to swaich For This Useful Post:

urmiladuhan (September 10th, 2013)

Well said.

QUOTE=swaich;346692]

Because many of the answers to the questions of our present and the future lay hidden in our past.

And;

Those who forget to learn from their past, are condemned to repeat it.[/QUOTE]

I fell in love with history mainly because of Harappa culture that I saw in the museum. Through their artifacts I saw very civilised people who led a happy life. Women were well respected and were given due representation in society. There was no purdah system, no caste system, and in general people led a prosperous life. I especially liked the beautiful pottery designs which people thought important to have on them. Creativity is abundant in their artifacts. That culture sort of laid the foundation for the rest of Indian culture that was to come whether it was religion, respect for women, art etc.

Quote Originally Posted by urmiladuhan View Post
    One reason for it I found in this interesting quote:

Today's Words to Live By: We can improve our tomorrows with a better understanding of our past.

For those of us who keep an interest in history, kindly please share your reason.

I keep an interest primarily due to the beauty it holds... Beautiful arifacts, buildings, dresses etc. Knowing history gives a peep into knowing why we do things the way we do. And that is an interesting thing to know, I think.

Regards,

Urmila.

I love history of human migration. Things which are common among people from far away places, fascinate me the most.
    There are many paths leading to God, politics is certainly not one of them...

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rkumar For This Useful Post:

DrRajpalSingh (September 30th, 2013), urmiladuhan (October 27th, 2013)

This we have in our jat culture even today, sometime I think we need to get away with this Parda system, or do we ?

I fell in love with history mainly because of Harappa culture that I saw in the museum. Through their artifacts I saw very civilised people who led a happy life. Women were well respected and were given due representation in society. There was no purdah system, no caste system, and in general people led a prosperous life. I especially liked the beautiful pottery designs which people thought important to have on them. Creativity is abundant in their artifacts. That culture sort of laid the foundation for the rest of Indian culture that was to come whether it was religion, respect for women, art etc.
    "No one can make you feel inferior without your consent..."

9. The Following User Says Thank You to rsdalal For This Useful Post:

urmiladuhan (October 13th, 2013)

Do you have any theories on why it is practiced in a joint family system? What purpose does it serve within a family set up?
    Why did it become a requirement for a married woman after she got married and not so in her parental household?

QUOTE=rsdalal;346848]This we have in our jat culture even today, sometime I think we need to get away with this Parda system, or do we ?[/QUOTE]

Last edited by urmiladuhan; October 13th, 2013 at 12:18 PM. Reason: Double posting.

It seems then that you believe people migrated out of a common stock.

Quote Originally Posted by rkumar View Post
    I love history of human migration. Things which are common among people from far away places, fascinate me the most.

Do you have any theories on why it is practiced in a joint family system? What purpose does it serve within a family set up?
    Why did it become a requirement for a married woman after she got married and not so in her parental household?

QUOTE=rsdalal;346848]This we have in our jat culture even today, sometime I think we need to get away with this Parda system, or do we ?
    [/QUOTE]

Here is an interesting write up on Purdah system among Hindu women of north India;

http://sabikpandit.wordpress.com/201...g-hindu-women/

Seem t make lot of sense.

RK^2

It seems then that you believe people migrated out of a common stock.
    Yes I believe it very strongly.

RK^2

History is like foundation of a building and roots of a tree. Deeper and stronger they are, more are the chances of long tern survival and progress.

RK^2

16. The Following User Says Thank You to rkumar For This Useful Post:

urmiladuhan (October 27th, 2013)

I some times find myself reading old threads/posts on JL and I must admit they are quite entertaining. They help understand the perspectives of contemporary members as the older posts written by them are very rich in relevant content. Perhaps enjoying reading them explains why some people enjoy history and profiles of historical people/places.