Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Kanishka

Kanishka

Name Kanishka is more common among Afghans even today than Indians. I was listening to speech by AB Vajpayee who mentioned about his experience of name Kanishka during a visit to Afghanistan. I then googled for the name and came across so many of them on LinkedIn;

http://www.linkedin.com/pub/dir/Kani...0-Afghanistan/
    There are many paths leading to God, politics is certainly not one of them...

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to rkumar For This Useful Post:

Bahadursaroha (October 30th, 2013), maddhan1979 (September 15th, 2013), rajpaldular (November 21st, 2013), urmiladuhan (September 12th, 2013)

Interesting, may be you can post the link to the speech as well if it worth.
    Welcome back Kalkhande Sahab to JL after a long time

Quote Originally Posted by rkumar View Post
    Name Kanishka is more common among Afghans even today than Indians. I was listening to speech by AB Vajpayee who mentioned about his experience of name Kanishka during a visit to Afghanistan. I then googled for the name and came across so many of them on LinkedIn;

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent..."

4. The Following User Says Thank You to rsdalal For This Useful Post:

rajpaldular (November 21st, 2013)

I did the same and I found more Indians than Afghans. Though Kanishka and the Kushans must have had strong connections with Afghanistan, I think not many current day Afghans would be called Kanishka due to it being a non-Islamic name.
    Pagdi Sambhal Jatta..!

6. The Following User Says Thank You to swaich For This Useful Post:

urmiladuhan (September 12th, 2013)

Interesting.

Attention seekers and attention getters are two different class of people.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to urmiladuhan For This Useful Post:

How about Damyanti of Nal Damyani fame, Urmila of Lakshman Urmila ( & ofcourse Urmila Duhan) fame ? Here is a Damyanti and a Urmila from Afghanistan;

http://www.linkedin.com/profile/view...D&id=244143987
    http://www.linkedin.com/profile/view...authToken=D69k

Hope to fnd more of such names and post here

RK^2
    Last edited by rkumar; September 13th, 2013 at 08:44 AM.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rkumar For This Useful Post:

rajpaldular (November 21st, 2013), urmiladuhan (September 15th, 2013)

How about Damyanti of Nal Damyani fame, Urmila of Lakshman Urmila ( & ofcourse Urmila Duhan) fame ? Here is a Damyanti and a Urmila from Afghanistan;

RK^2
    Kumar Sahib,

Are the names mentioned in the post under reference have some connection with Kanishaka or not ?

Thanks.
    History is best when created, better when re-constructed and worst when invented.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to DrRajpalSingh For This Useful Post:

There is lake Urmia (rhyming with my name Urmila) on the border of Iran and Turkey.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lake_Urmia

RK^2

14. The Following User Says Thank You to urmiladuhan For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by urmiladuhan View Post

There is lake Urmia (rhyming with my name Urmila) on the border of Iran and Turkey.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lake_Urmia
    Interesting. History section of the link quoted by you mentions; " One of the early mentions of Lake Urmia is from the Assyrian records from 9th century BCE. There, in the records of Shalmaneser III (reign 858–824 BCE), two names are mentioned in the area of Lake Urmia: Parsuwash and Matai. It is not completely clear whether these referred to places or tribes or what their relationship was to the subsequent list of personal names and "kings". But Matais were Medes and linguistically the name Parsuwash matches the Old Persian word pārsa". Words Shalmaneser and Parsuwash attracted my attention. Shalmaneser sounds like our Maneser and Parsuwash might have some correlation wit Parsuram. May be name Persia for Iran has its origin in name Persuwash and Parsuram.

RK^2

16. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to rkumar For This Useful Post:

rajpaldular (November 21st, 2013), urmiladuhan (November 4th, 2013), vdhillon (October 27th, 2013)

Has someone something more to add on Kanishka, the theme of the thread.

Thanks and regards
    History is best when created, better when re-constructed and worst when invented.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to DrRajpalSingh For This Useful Post:

@DrRajpalSingh
    Doc, with due respect, I do not think the theme is limited to the KANISHKA alone, the essence of the thread is about similarities in the names in Afghanistan and India, despite religious differences. Kanishka is just being used an example for the elaboration.

@Rkumar: BTW, nice explanation sir jee. Thanks for sharing

Quote Originally Posted by DrRajpalSingh View Post
    Has someone something more to add on Kanishka, the theme of the thread.

Thanks and regards

20. The Following User Says Thank You to vdhillon For This Useful Post:

Anita (अनीता) is a common name in Germany. This is also the name of the daughter of Netaji Subhash Chandra Bose who had married a German girl during his stay there. Her profile can be seen on this page - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anita_Bose_Pfaff

During my days in Russia, I found that some ladies had their name as Meera. In Russian language, the word Meera (or Mira) means "peace" (शान्ति). Such similarities in names are found everywhere. But in the case of Afghanistan, word Kanishka is so common because of our past connections.

Last edited by dndeswal; October 27th, 2013 at 02:14 PM.
    तमसो मा ज्योतिर्गमय

22. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to dndeswal For This Useful Post:

anilsangwan (November 19th, 2013), deependra (October 27th, 2013), DrRajpalSingh (October 27th, 2013), rajpaldular (November 21st, 2013), spdeshwal (October 30th, 2013)

Quote Originally Posted by vdhillon View Post
    @DrRajpalSingh
    Doc, with due respect, I do not think the theme is limited to the KANISHKA alone, the essence of the thread is about similarities in the names in Afghanistan and India, despite religious differences. Kanishka is just being used an example for the elaboration.

@Rkumar: BTW, nice explanation sir jee. Thanks for sharing
    Thanks now add something substantial to carry forward the discussion.

24. The Following User Says Thank You to DrRajpalSingh For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by dndeswal View Post

Anita (अनीता) is a common name in Germany. This is also the name of the daughter of Netaji Subhash Chandra Bose who had married a German girl during his stay there. Her profile can be seen on this page - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anita_Bose_Pfaff

During my days in Russia, I found that some ladies had their name as Meera. In Russian language, the word Meera (or Mira) means "peace" (शान्ति). Such similarities in names are found everywhere. But in the case of Afghanistan, word Kanishka is so common because of our past connections.

Anita is a very common name among Christians world over. Meera is an interesting name and even Muslims in Pakistan use it. Meera is a well known Pakistani actress.

RK^2

26. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rkumar For This Useful Post:

deependra (October 27th, 2013), rajpaldular (November 21st, 2013)

28. The Following User Says Thank You to rkumar For This Useful Post:

For Kind attention of Wiki Editors.

30. The Following User Says Thank You to DrRajpalSingh For This Useful Post:

Interesting. History section of the link quoted by you mentions; " One of the early mentions of Lake Urmia is from the Assyrian records from 9th century BCE. There, in the records of Shalmaneser III (reign 858–824 BCE), two names are mentioned in the area of Lake Urmia: Parsuwash and Matai. It is not completely clear whether these referred to places or tribes or what their relationship was to the subsequent list of personal names and "kings". But Matais were Medes and linguistically the name Parsuwash matches the Old Persian word pārsa". Words Shalmaneser and Parsuwash attracted my attention. Shalmaneser sounds like our Maneser and Parsuwash might have some correlation wit Parsuram. May be name Persia for Iran has its origin in name Persuwash and Parsuram.

RK^2
    You mean records assigned to 9 B.C.E and not necessarily created in 9 B.C.E. As far as I know, there are no deciphered script records from anywhere in the world that are that old.

32. The Following User Says Thank You to urmiladuhan For This Useful Post:

Interesting. History section of the link quoted by you mentions; " One of the early mentions of Lake Urmia is from the Assyrian [U]records from 9th century BCE[/U]. There, in the records of Shalmaneser III (reign 858�824 BCE), two names are mentioned in the area of Lake Urmia: Parsuwash and Matai. It is not completely clear whether these referred to places or tribes or what their relationship was to the subsequent list of personal names and "kings". But Matais were Medes and linguistically the name Parsuwash matches the Old Persian word pārsa". Words Shalmaneser and Parsuwash attracted my attention. Shalmaneser sounds like our Maneser and Parsuwash might have some correlation wit Parsuram. May be name Persia for Iran has its origin in name Persuwash and Parsuram.

RK^2
    You mean records assigned to 9 B.C.E and not necessarily created in 9 B.C.E. As far as I know, there are no deciphered script records from anywhere in the world that are that old.
    Last edited by urmiladuhan; November 4th, 2013 at 07:03 PM.

34. The Following User Says Thank You to urmiladuhan For This Useful Post:

There are many; for one example Edicts of Maurya Emperor Asoka.

36. The Following User Says Thank You to DrRajpalSingh For This Useful Post:

Kindly read 9 th century B.C.E instead of 9 B.C.E as also mentioned in the original post. Hope this removes the confusion.

Quote Originally Posted by DrRajpalSingh View Post
    There are many; for one example Edicts of Maurya Emperor Asoka.

38. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to urmiladuhan For This Useful Post:

DrRajpalSingh (November 20th, 2013), rajpaldular (November 21st, 2013)

Kindly read 9 th century B.C.E instead of 9 B.C.E as also mentioned in the original post. Hope this removes the confusion.
    Some older than this dateline records of ancient 'Aryan kings' have been deciphered in Asian countries where names of some gods sworn by the kings signing the agreement have come to light. Exact dateline of these and Bogze Kooie inscriptions would be shared after their exact verification !

40. The Following User Says Thank You to DrRajpalSingh For This Useful Post: