Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: On Buddha and Buddhism...

I suppose he fulfilled his destiny. The thoughts about death, old age, suffering etc that would trouble him when he was living in palace among all luxury, no longer troubled him after enlightenment. He found out that the source of suffering was ones own thoughts and actions and this knowledge enabled him to change his thinking and thus his life.

Quote Originally Posted by upendersingh View Post
    Would some body enlighten me about the philosophy of Buddha? All I know about him is that he was a prince. He married a beautiful woman, made her mother of a kid and when he should have fulfilled the duties of a father, husband and son as well, he fled to jungle. Well, no doubt he is inspiring figure, but certainly doesn't deserve 100/100 marks. What result he got out of his penance? He also died after suffering a lot, after growing old. He is also supposed to be bigger apostle of peace than Gandhi. Peace...#$&*#...
    Last edited by urmiladuhan; October 7th, 2013 at 03:10 PM. Reason: Grammar
    Attention seekers and attention getters are two different class of people.

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to urmiladuhan For This Useful Post:

rajpaldular (October 7th, 2013), rekhasmriti (October 7th, 2013), rkumar (October 9th, 2013)

Quote Originally Posted by urmiladuhan View Post
    I suppose he fulfilled his destiny. ......
    And what was his destiny that he fulfilled !
    History is best when created, better when re-constructed and worst when invented.

Quote Originally Posted by DrRajpalSingh View Post
    Attainment of Buddh-Gyaan....

RK^2
    There are many paths leading to God, politics is certainly not one of them...

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rkumar For This Useful Post:

DrRajpalSingh (October 9th, 2013), urmiladuhan (October 9th, 2013)

Dr. Rajpal, the answer to the question you have asked perhaps requires lot of reading and understanding of the basics of Buddhism. In my limited knowledge on the subject, I suppose, the life that Buddha led, the person that he became in his lifetime etc was the destiny that Buddha fulfilled.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to urmiladuhan For This Useful Post:

prashantacmet (October 9th, 2013)

I suppose, the life that Buddha led, the person that he became in his lifetime etc was the destiny that Buddha fulfilled.

If it was so then he had very weak destiny. Glorifying begging can not be appreciated. All enlightenment he had was 'take pity on all living beings'. Why is life only on earth? What happens after death? What is the purpose of life on earth? What is god? I think he didn't have ability to clear all such queries human being has been carrying through the ages. If his penance was so tough and effective then he should have been young again and then immortal for good. But still I am impressed of him.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to upendersingh For This Useful Post:

urmiladuhan (October 9th, 2013)

99% people are too dumb( they may be highly intellectual in worldy affairs) to understand what buddhha was and what he preached. It's a different dimension . it's not inevitable that all intellectuals can understand it, it can not be bounded it with intellectuality

As someone asked buddha.. "what is purpose of life?".. buddha replied "end of sufferings"..the person again asked " what will be after end of sufferings" ..buddha replied "you have to see it yourself, it can not be said in words".

I am not surprised people are still blaming him that he did not clarify "what is god" 'what happends after death"..it is termed as spiritual bankruptcy.
    Last edited by prashantacmet; October 9th, 2013 at 12:10 PM.
    Become more and more innocent, less knowledgeable and more childlike. Take life as fun - because that's precisely what it is!

11. The Following User Says Thank You to prashantacmet For This Useful Post:

I agree with you Prashantji that Buddha was an experimentalist. Things have to be experienced to be understood - that was Buddha's message, I think.

Quote Originally Posted by prashantacmet View Post
    99% people are too dumb( they may be highly intellectual in worldy affairs) to understand what buddhha was and what he preached. It's a different dimension . it's not inevitable that all intellectuals can understand it, it can not be bounded it with intellectuality

As someone asked buddha.. "what is purpose of life?".. buddha replied "end of sufferings"..the person again asked " what will be after end of sufferings" ..buddha replied "you have to see it yourself, it can not be said in words".

I am not surprised people are still blaming him that he did not clarify "what is god" 'what happends after death"..it is termed as spiritual bankruptcy.

If it was so then he had very weak destiny. Glorifying begging can not be appreciated. All enlightenment he had was 'take pity on all living beings'. Why is life only on earth? What happens after death? What is the purpose of life on earth? What is god? I think he didn't have ability to clear all such queries human being has been carrying through the ages. If his penance was so tough and effective then he should have been young again and then immortal for good. But still I am impressed of him.
    Some people call it begging i.e., in a derogatory way. Buddha did not need to beg for food, clothes etc for he was a prince and had all the luxuries if he wanted them. I read somewhere that Buddha would stand holding his food bowl in very specific way with his thumb positioned on the inside of the bowl in a specific way, with his eyelids drooping down in meditation, and the bowl would be moved closer to the alm provider for the ease of delivery. I think, it is the thought with which he accepted the food that decides whether Buddha considered himself as a beggar or not. And I think he did not consider it begging i.e., in a derogatory way.

To put the discussion on Buddhism and concept of destiny on sound footing, perhaps, these links could be helpful :

http://edge.jadebuddha.org/2009/03/b...s-destiny.html

And His theory of Karma:http://www.buddhanet.net/e-learning/karma.htm
    Last edited by DrRajpalSingh; October 9th, 2013 at 04:47 PM.
    History is best when created, better when re-constructed and worst when invented.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to DrRajpalSingh For This Useful Post:

prashantacmet (October 9th, 2013)

Kindly log in : http://www.happy-science.org/fate-and-destiny

About fate and destiny

Fate or destiny is often regarded as the “course that life takes” and karma is one of the factors that influence this course. People often believe that fate is pre-destined and nothing can be changed, but is this really true?
    “Your destiny is shaped according to the combination of conditions pre-determined at birth and other factors that you are able to change through your own efforts.”
    (From the book: The Essence of Buddha | p.140)
    The factors that form a person's fate

A person's fate is decided by a complex combination of conditions and factors. Some of them are already decided at the time of a person’s birth and some of them come into play later and shape the course further. There are five factors that form our fate or destiny:
    1. Tendencies of our soul, otherwise known as karma
    2. Family environment
    3. Social climate
    4. Our own efforts and self-discipline
    5. Influence of other people.

Buddhism on destiny, more links :

Questions, Part 4: Buddhism and Destiny - Digital Tibetan Buddhist ...

tibetanaltar.blogspot.com/.../questions-part-4-buddhism-and-destiny.html

http://www.blia.org/english/publicat...t/pages/03.htm

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/in...2113830AAus4uf

Buddha never felt offended or provoked when oddest of odd questions were put to him.

Moreover, the question on which you feel so provoked is not addressed to you at all.
    Last edited by DrRajpalSingh; October 9th, 2013 at 10:22 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by rkumar View Post
    Attainment of Buddh-Gyaan....

RK^2
    In addition to it, perhaps right application of the attained knowledge.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to DrRajpalSingh For This Useful Post:

Buddha never felt offended or provoked when oddest of odd questions were put to him.

Moreover, the question on which you feel so provoked os not addressed to you at all.
    Wrong assumption!..I am not provoked at all and I am not buddhha and i did not claim that I belong to that remaining 1%. Please Don't feel offended..I quoted you so don't assume that it was specially for you..sorry for confusion
    Become more and more innocent, less knowledgeable and more childlike. Take life as fun - because that's precisely what it is!

21. The Following User Says Thank You to prashantacmet For This Useful Post:

DrRajpalSingh (October 9th, 2013)

.................................... Glorifying begging can not be appreciated. .............................
    Concept of begging is most ill understood from Indian culture's perspective. Concept of begging/alms has its origin in our Verna system. Segment of society which was responsible for education/ preaching was kept free of any other work to earn livelihood. These people were not employed by any institution on some sort of salary. Entire society was responsible for the upkeep of these people (called Brahmans and Rishis). In Buddhism the preachers were called "Bhikshuk". These people had the highest respect in the society. Like any other institution, this institution too got misused and eroded with time. Bad characters in the garb of Brahmans and Rishis started exploiting the system. First documented misuse of the system was by Ravan who in the garb of Brahman went to Sita and asked for alms. In all our holy books denying alms is considered very bad for the reasons explained above. However, misuse of the system has brought it to the level of social evil.

RK^2

23. The Following User Says Thank You to rkumar For This Useful Post:

From the alm givers perspective, the one who gives for a good cause makes merit in his/her life and hence it is encouraged from a spiritual perspective as well.

Concept of begging is most ill understood from Indian culture's perspective. Concept of begging/alms has its origin in our Verna system. Segment of society which was responsible for education/ preaching was kept free of any other work to earn livelihood. These people were not employed by any institution on some sort of salary. Entire society was responsible for the upkeep of these people (called Brahmans and Rishis). In Buddhism the preachers were called "Bhikshuk". These people had the highest respect in the society. Like any other institution, this institution too got misused and eroded with time. Bad characters in the garb of Brahmans and Rishis started exploiting the system. First documented misuse of the system was by Ravan who in the garb of Brahman went to Sita and asked for alms. In all our holy books denying alms is considered very bad for the reasons explained above. However, misuse of the system has brought it to the level of social evil.

RK^2

25. The Following User Says Thank You to urmiladuhan For This Useful Post:

rkumar (October 9th, 2013)

From the alm givers perspective, the one who gives for a good cause makes merit in his/her life and hence it is encouraged from a spiritual perspective as well.
    Agreed 100%. Nothing is spiritually as fulfilling as giving. This is why "giver" is called "Devta".

RK^2

27. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rkumar For This Useful Post:

dahiyaBadshah (October 10th, 2013), urmiladuhan (October 9th, 2013)

Wrong assumption!..I am not provoked at all and I am not buddhha and i did not claim that I belong to that remaining 1%. Please Don't feel offended..I quoted you so don't assume that it was specially for you..sorry for confusion
    Friend,

Okay,

None of us is Buddha.

Thanks

Agreed 100%. Nothing is spiritually as fulfilling as giving. This is why "giver" is called "Devta".

RK^2

"Giving is godliness" - Rig Veda

RK^2
    According to one study over 10 million Sadhus are estimated in India today. They hardly contribute anything back to society but I won't say all have degenerated to the level of social evil.

31. The Following User Says Thank You to dahiyaBadshah For This Useful Post:

urmiladuhan (October 11th, 2013)

Of course Buddha was an experimentalist that too of high order. Buddhism all talks and no substance couldn't stand the test of time and collapsed....
    Dr. Ved Prakash views :
    Buddha's teaching: Ahimsa Parmo Dharma (Ahimsa shreshtha hai)
    Buddha picked (half) corrupted form of Gita's message to suit his Non-violence experimentation.
    Lord Krishna's full message: Ahimsa Parmo Dharma; Dharma Hinsa Tathev Che.(Dharam ke liye hinsa bhi param Dharam hai.)
    Giving heed to Buddha's teachings of Non-violence kings and queens in India disbanded their armies to build hospitals, maths and to fund cherity works.
    On seeing police officer hanging a fisherman for killing fish, Kumaril Bhat or Shankra Charya (one of the two) asked why you did this?
    "He committed violence" Cop said
    "You are teaching Non-violence with violence" Sage asked.(1)
    It generated controversy/discussion about Buddhas idea of Non-violence which (2) pose a threat to national security as well.
    Monks failed to address public concern and eventually Buddhism disappeared fron India as we know.